Game 123: Braves at Nats

Aug 21, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg takes the mound tonight at Nationals Park.

And we're back at Nationals Park for game two of this pivotal series. Feels like we just left here following last night's 13-inning, rain-delayed marathon.

The good news is, the sun is mostly shining and there doesn't appear to be any serious threat of rain tonight. So that should remove one possibility for a long night, not to mention one deterrent for fans to come to the park.

Also, Stephen Strasburg is making what will almost certainly be one of his final starts of the season in the District, so there's that. (His innings count entering tonight is … drumroll please … 139 1/3! So we're probably talking about at least three more starts, probably no more than five.)

Left-hander Paul Maholm, one of the Braves' trade deadline acquisitions, gets the start for an Atlanta club that desperately needs to win tonight or else fall seven games back in the division.

Updates to come…

ATLANTA BRAVES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv, MLB Network
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Partly cloudy, 78 degrees, Wind 3 mph in from RF

RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
LF Michael Morse

1. Knoxville Nat - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Was quite surprised to see how low the attendence was last night. Was that a function of the weather or what? I had thought there would be 30K plus for last nights game.Being here in the south I get blacked out from watching the game on MASN and have to watch it on the Braves network. Carp may not be the next Vin Scully but let me tell you he is much better than Chip Carey. Little Chip (as I call him)is a better sleep aid than anything you can buy at the store.GYFNG!!

2. JaneB - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:46 PM

One of our kids is representing tonight. We are having (non-baseball and very dear) friends in from out of town, so my dilemma is how to watch game day without getting caught. Lots of heading to the kitchen, I think.GYFNG!

3. baseballswami - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Go back to the last post for a thorough discussion of said attendance. I flipped to 980 espn today since I was in the car a lot and 106.7 was making me want to commit crimes. They have this big commercial with a huge, echoing type voice saying – "We will be there for the SHUTDOWN and be following the final countdown" or some such BS.Seriously – it was very, I don't know, maybe Vegas? Tacky and silly.I see on twitter today that CHipper is not up to playing today – I thought as much. Our guys are just so young and have extra energy to spare. I usually think that gives us an advantage as it gets later. They really get more hyper as the other team tires. I noticed that in Milwaukee. I like they way they are fouling off more pitches and running off of first a lot. That must be hugely annoying to the other team :) A plus!

4. Uncle Atom - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I'm going, trying Sec 209 for the first time. I'm looking forward to Stras being extra angry tonight. GYFNG!

5. m20832 - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:54 PM

GYFNG!!!!!

6. Tcostant - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I think will see a much better crowd (30K) tonight, but it will be for Strasburg and 2 for 1 hot dogs. The city is still learning. I'm looking forward to being there for one of Stras last startat Nationals Park this year.

7. Doc - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Yeah, Knoxville Nat, Chip is a chip off the old Skip block. Now that guy, may he R.I.P. was really soporific. Granddaddy, Harry on the other hand was, for me anyway, was always entertaining. F.P. (Is he on vacation or something??), Ray, and Carp are fine by me.Lets add on to our over .500 by 30 games tonight!

8. terpman33 - Aug 21, 2012 at 8:05 PM

What an EPIC game last night! 30 games over .500? Who would've thunk it!We could very well sweep this series. And considering the Braves have to fly to the west coast and play SF (with no off day), we could get our lead over them to double digits by the end of the weekend. My only pet peeve has to do with the Lerners not wanting to pay metro to extend the service for extra inning games. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? The Lerners got a 100% tax funded stadium. The least they can do is pay the extra $300,000 it cost(can't remember where I saw that figure). Im thinking more along the lines of the playoffs, when we may have a game(s) go into extra innings. We Nats fans (who catch the train)should not have to choose between watching the end of the game, or going home and missing it. This is truly PATHETIC, and needs to be resolved ASAP!! Having said all that, GYFNG!!!!

9. natsfan1a - Aug 21, 2012 at 8:11 PM

No Chipper in the lineup but I would guess he might be available to pinch-hit off the bench.I think there was a Tuesday ticket special as well, tcostant.Doc, FP said that he'd be staying in SFO for a break after the series there. Can't recall when he was supposed to be back, though.Go, SS! Go, NATS!!

10. The Z-Mantis! - Aug 21, 2012 at 8:12 PM

11. The Z-Mantis! - Aug 21, 2012 at 4:15 PM

There was indeed a ticket special–more than one, in fact. We'll be there tonight on that basis.

12. The Z-Mantis! - Aug 21, 2012 at 8:28 PM

More discussion on keeping Metro late in the last post.

13. baseballswami - Aug 21, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Watching some DVR of last night- watched it, just going back over some innings. Drew also had repeated mound meetings with Suzuki and they did not seem to be in sync. Drew got out of his inning but is still struggling. Morse looked awful at the plate. Maybe that means he will be the hero tonight.

14. Section 222 - Aug 21, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Anyone else notice that the Nats, the team with the best record in baseball, are also one of the only teams that didn't try to make a serious upgrade at or near the trade deadline? The Braves got Maholm. The Dodger got Victorino and Hanley. The Giants got Pence. We got . . . . Suzuki. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think the Reds went looking either. We did get Werth and Tracy, but they were already ours. Just amazing what this team is accomplishing.

15. sjm308 - Aug 21, 2012 at 8:41 PM

How great that we can insert Flores after a tough game last night. Reading lots between the line about posters not really happy with Suzuki but its still just a short time for him and he has not faced most of these NL teams. I think everything will work out for both our catchers.TV tonight but I will be back at it again tomorrow.Go Nats!!

16. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 21, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I questioned whether Chipper ans McCann would play. No Chipper. More surprised about McCann.

17. Section 222 - Aug 21, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Looks like Harper the blogger weighed in on Fredi not using Kimbrell last night too. Good company for us, NL and Ghost.

18. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 21, 2012 at 9:12 PM

19. Marty - Aug 21, 2012 at 9:13 PM

So I suppose if you want to plan accordingly-ish:If Strasburg is currently @ 139 1/3Tonight goes 6 2/3 (for simplicities sake): 1468/28 @ Marlins – 6-7: 152-1539/2 vs Cards – 6-7: 158-1599/7 vs Marlins – 6-7: 164-165 – Maybe we should all buy tickets for this game and bring "Rizzo is Right" signs

20. Doc - Aug 21, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Thanks for the update on F.P. natsfan1a!Get a knock tonight, JFlo!!31 over .500 tonight!!!!!!

21. Steady Eddie - Aug 21, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Marty — like your general scoping out but Rizzo has for some time been saying 160 to 170 or so, so he could well squeeze another start out. One thing I'm sure both Rizzo and Davey are hoping is that Stras doesn't threaten to pitch a no-no which would force them to leave him in for more than 7. Give up a single in the first or second and then make it a 7-inning gem. As post-TJ folks are inconsistent game to game (and Stras has been showing that the second half of the season), maybe he'll take out his anger at the July 20th game against the Barves tonight.

22. baseballswami - Aug 21, 2012 at 9:39 PM

In boz's interview on 106.7 today, he spoke for 96 seconds ( they had allowed only 90 for the topic), he guessed that it would be on the lower end of the 160-180. He talked about how the scouts are seeing mechanical signs of fatigue already. Not a surprise to those of us who watch every pitch. Davey was just on mlb, boras has weighed in. Will cooler heads begin to prevail or will this continue to be Strasmaggedon?

23. Section 222 - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:13 PM

24. Gonat - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… King Felix promising he isn't going anywhere. I don't think he has a no trade clause so its all feel good in Seattle. August 21, 2012 5:12 PM _________________________________http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/21/felix-hernandez-im-not-going-anywhere-i-promiseFelix said “… you guys [will] be happy, “I’m not going nowhere … I promise.”From HardballTalk.com: "That part comes around the 6 minute mark. For what it’s worth, promises made on talk radio regarding a negotiation that won’t take place for two years is not legally binding."

25. Gonat - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Section 222 said… Serious downpour downtown. My exit for the park is delayed. Any reports on game starting time so far? August 21, 2012 6:13 PM _____________________________I can tell you that the Braves BP just ended abruptly!

26. Gonat - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Game on time. No tarp.

27. TheDC - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:22 PM

It rained for actually two minutes, just enough time to put an end to the Braves BP, the field seems to be okay.

28. Gonat - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:23 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kspOLPspV0&list=UUtNUW3JVnHIOf2fU42uEclA&index=1&feature=plcpVideo of Anthony Rendon's 1st HR in Harrisburg!

29. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Hope everyone knows how tough Maholm has been over his last 9 starts. 7-1 with a 1.19 era.Stras, on the other hand is 0-2 with a 7.75 era against the Braves this year.Just sayin'.

30. NatsLady - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:39 PM

The Reds added an excellent relief pitcher (Broxton, I believe is the name).

31. Gonat - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Wang starting tonight in Harrisburg

32. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Go nats lets get 7 up.Strasburg please be economical with your pitches. Hitters get us runs ealry. I did buy a new bottle of Maloox for the game, as last night's game finished my last bottle.

33. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:49 PM

NatsJack, the key I believe is frustrating Maholm and take pitches and work the count. The Braves bullpen has to be tired. Get to them early and often.

34. Old Wino - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Let's see if Stras can pitch another great one tonight. Pitching for contact may be the way to go, shorten that count.

35. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:55 PM

That Stras stat was his last 2 starts against the Braves.

36. Old Wino - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I wasn't being sarcastic.Like my new avatar? Just changed it.Go Stras! Pitch strikes.

37. TheDC - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:58 PM

The key for Strasburg is limiting the walks, The Nats need him for 6 innings tonight after yesterday's marathon. Let's just put another quality start and a Curly W in the books! Go Nats!

38. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Not going out tonight — didn't get home until 2:20 this morning, what with my 1-mile trek up New Jersey Ave. to Independence to catch the 36 bus to Friendship heights, then caught a cab to Grosvenor subway, where my car was parked.Hey, Lerners, how about chipping in to keep the Metro open til 1 a.m. so I don't have to act like a sherpa to get home after at 13-inning game>

39. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Ghost…. I just want to tee off on a lefthander for a change. The Nats haven't fared to well against them in quite a while.

40. baseballswami - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Is Thursday an off day? After 35 games in 34 days, off days are just odd.

41. MicheleS - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:08 PM

GYFNG! I am in a box tonight so seeing how the other half lives!

42. NatsLady - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:10 PM

43. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:14 PM

19 pitches the first inning. At least 6 too many It is the area Mccatty needs to wrok on next season.

44. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:15 PM

19 pitch first inning. Another inefficient inning to face 4 hitters

45. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Manassas, you beat me to it. 19 pitches with 8 balls is not a great average as they aren't chasing anything but the good change off of the fastball.

46. TheDC - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Stras has already fallen behind 2 hitters 3-1, good thing Prado grounded out to Desmond

47. phil dunton - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Harper can't hit left handed pitchers and he is playing tonight. Lombardozzi is in the midst of the hottest hitting streak of his major league career and he continues to rot on the bench. Makes no sense to me.

48. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Strasburg = rain.

49. Gonat - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Another 3-1 count. Efficiency starts with a quality 1st pitch strike.

50. TheDC - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Yeah, as many people say, the first pitch is the most important pitch in baseball, gives you a huge edge for the rest of the atbat

51. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Another inefficient inning. 20 more pitches to 4 hitters.

52. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:30 PM

19 pitches in the second inning too. 38 total.

53. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:31 PM

@NL: It's really a question, I believe, of whether the Lerners want to be perceived as major league or not. Right now, this is akin to Davenport. It figures some suburban shopping mall developers wouldn't give a hoot about people who use mass transit. But in case the Lerners haven't noticed, gas is $4 a gallon.$100,000 an hour, or whatever it costs to keep Metro open, is chump change to these guys. It's the equivalent of 2,000 fans (figuring $50 a head, which may be light, counting concessions.But it's the perception of being small time that will stalk this guys as the national media discovers this crowd for the first time. Plus, the national media may need a ride after they file their stories and videos too.

54. TheDC - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Ian simply crushed that ball, and just like that the Nats are on top

55. Jim Webster - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Sure glad I never posted that I was beginning to question Davey putting Desi in the lineup instead of hot-hitting Lombo. Desi's 2 HRs have quieted my fears.

56. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:45 PM

radar almost cleared though the area. 8 pitches so far this inning.

57. Gonat - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:49 PM

I guess Davey was right on Ian. Glad Ian is still here since one poster proposed trading him for a case of sunflower seeds last year.

58. TheDC - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Let's just hope this delay won't affect Strasburg that much, Davey can't afford to rely on the bullpen for another 7 innings tonight.

59. TheDC - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Actually, the last time something like this happened to Strasburg was in that shaky start in a day game against the Padres, right?

60. baseballswami - Aug 22, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I understand that there is one random rain storm just parked over nats park. At this point Stras needs to come back out. Hope he didn't use any warm substances that could run into the wrong places.

61. Gonat - Aug 22, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Wang is blowing up in AA. 3 earned over 4 innings.

62. ehay2k - Aug 22, 2012 at 12:17 AM

This just in:Immediately after the game, Strasburg is boarding a plane to head west where he will be used to summon rain to drench the raging wildfires.

63. ehay2k - Aug 22, 2012 at 12:19 AM

BTW – Mark Z – did 1st base coach Trent Jewett talk to Zuki about his options in that situation, or was that just all on the wily catcher?

64. RickH - Aug 22, 2012 at 12:22 AM

My daughter and I were aghast that so many people were leaving right before the 9th inning last night with a tie ballgame. Then we found out they announced the last car for the subway. Good thing we didn't take Metro, since we missed the announcement.

65. baseballswami - Aug 22, 2012 at 12:22 AM

3 days in a row. sheesh.

66. pRAA with the ISO - Aug 22, 2012 at 12:28 AM

NatsLady said… Re: Metro. Almost cheaper for the Lerners to pay your cab fare. $30K per hour to keep Metro open (less the no. of people who ride).Also, like Peking Duck it must be ordered 24 hours in advance. Who knew on Sunday night that it would be needed on Monday?

67. ehay2k - Aug 22, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Swami – it's August, but it's DC, so there just HAS to be a paradox: August is one of the drier months of the year in DC, but there seem to be an abundance of nightly showers somehow.

68. Gonat - Aug 22, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Wang just gave up his 5th run in 5 innings. Yikes.

69. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 22, 2012 at 12:36 AM

12 pitches 51 total. {Prado looked not ready.

70. Gonat - Aug 22, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Rendon's BA down to .138 He needs 3 or 4 straight hits to boost that BA quickly

71. ehay2k - Aug 22, 2012 at 12:40 AM

I'd rather Rendon gets his BD up first.BD – bone density.

72. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 22, 2012 at 12:54 AM

jad a phonecall so I might be off 1 pitch 15 pitches 66 total. Too many to freeman after being 0-2.

73. Gonat - Aug 22, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Nice job Stras. WHIP it WHIP it good!

74. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 22, 2012 at 12:57 AM

I suggest Bryce just not swung at anything and take his walk.

75. TheDC - Aug 22, 2012 at 12:57 AM

According to MLB.com, Strasburg is at 68 pitches, 43 for strikes

76. ehay2k - Aug 22, 2012 at 12:58 AM

68 pitches for Stras, according to MLB gameday. (43 strikes)

77. Gonat - Aug 22, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Nice single Zim. Did Trent really send you?

78. ehay2k - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Coke owed to TheDC.

79. Gonat - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:02 AM

80. ehay2k - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Oh My goodness, is Stras pitching a gem so far tonight!

81. mick - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Gonat…Bryce needs Mr. Miyagi…. wax on wax off, eye, always look eye, lol

82. Gonat - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Fun watching Stras tonight.

83. mick - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Strass at 80 pitches, does he go 7 or not, what do you all think?

84. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:07 AM

81 pitches 13 that inning. that is the max I like in an inning (but for a K pitcher they usually avcerage like 17

85. ehay2k - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Oh, he goes 7 if he deals like he's been dealing. That was a 12 pitch, 3 strikeout inning!

86. mick - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Manassas Nats' Fan does Strass go 6 or 7 or more?

87. mick - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:08 AM

ehay2k… that does make sense

88. ehay2k - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Uggla's lack of range means the Barve's shift on ALR is less effective.

89. mick - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Desi ba ba looooooooo

90. ehay2k - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Uggla's vertical handicap means he can't reach Desi's liner. Again – tight shirt, no reach. Just sayin…

91. ehay2k - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:13 AM

So happy for Flores!

92. mick - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Oh my!!!!!!

93. TheDC - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Flores is surely earning some more playing time tonight, isn't he?

94. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:15 AM

NatsJack, small sample size on Maholm but that ERA just skyrocketed!

95. Gonat - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… NatsJack, small sample size on Maholm but that ERA just skyrocketed! August 21, 2012 9:15 PM ______________________________Still need to get that pitch count up and get back into their bullpen which will help for tomorrow!

96. ehay2k - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:18 AM

LOL – My son, age 12, just said – "Maybe Flores didn't need to put his gear on." He knows the Nats with 2 outs know how to keep the line moving!

97. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:18 AM

TheDC, Flores just can't handle more than 3 to 4 games a week. I wouldn't be surprised to see JFlo catching JZim next start.

98. TheDC - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:18 AM

And Werth is on again with his third XBH in 2 games, let's hope Harper finally makes some adjustments against left handed pitching

99. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:19 AM

when is Eck going to teach harper to hit a curve or not swing one or the other.

100. Gonat - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Gonat said… Here's what frustrates me with Bryce. The book is Left-handers pitch him away away away and he keeps expanding the zone and swinging at balls 6 inches off the plate. I always thought he was a quick learner. Apparently not. August 21, 2012 9:02 PM ________________________________Come on. This isn't even funny anymore.

101. slidell2 - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:21 AM

I detect a pattern here: 3 curves, 3 swings, 3 misses.

102. Doc - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:21 AM

My boy JFlo did it! Take that KSuzk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

103. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Perfect pitch to Prado. Tip the cap to the batter.

104. ehay2k - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:24 AM

105. ehay2k - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:24 AM

**times he has been caught looking.

106. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Doc, I've tried to tell you all JFlo is productive when he's rested. Just doesn't have the stamina to be effective playing 6 games a week.

107. Gonat - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:27 AM

ehay2k said… In fairness to Bryce, besides only being 19, he also gets some calls for strikes outside that are just not fair. That has to be in his head when he swings at those. Plus, there have been a number of ties he has been caught looking. I'm happy to let him develop. He'd be having similar issues in the minors, only we wouldn't care. We'd just hear he was ready to come up and start learning the LB game. But doing it this way, OJT in the Show, once he makes the adjustments in MLB, he's DONE. That is something to think about with a smile. August 21, 2012 9:24 PM ________________________________The strike zone has been excellent tonight. Can't use that as an excuse unless the ump has a wider zone. Those balls have been in the right-handers batters box.

108. Gonat - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:28 AM

JFLo gets a caught stealing! That's big!

109. TheDC - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:30 AM

I agree with you Ghost (can i go with Ghost? That's the first name that came to my mind), but right now Flores isn't playing 4 games a week, he's barely playing 2 in a 7game span. I was thinking more of something like what Pudge and Ramos were doing at the beginning of last season. But Davey is surely doing what he's doing for a reason, and there's no point in complaining for such a small thing.

110. djinFl. - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Doc-you just do not get it that Davey is making JFlo this good by playing him only a couple days a week. Go back and read the threads when JFlo was playing everyday and see how his production fell off.And I really do not understand this hate toward Suzuki you spew. His heads up base running, or lack of, following his hit won last nights game.

111. ehay2k - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Flores was so beat up – his body absorbed a ton of balls – that I'm not sure how he was even still playing. The rest clearly did him good.As for Bryce, he has gotten a LOT of bad calls outside this season, so one night with a tight strike zone may not change his approach, given his lack of experience.

112. TheDC - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:34 AM

As for Harper, I just hope this game won't affect his offense against right handed pitchers too, which surely got better during this homestand. That's what happened after Pettitte owned him.

113. djinFl. - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:37 AM

114. Gonat - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Storen owes RZim a steak.

115. Gonat - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Thank you Drew Storen.

116. NatsLady - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:40 AM

I think RZ just threw overhand to get that out. I thought he couldn't do that. :)

117. MicheleS - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Good crowd tonight! And Druuuu looked good

118. Gonat - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:41 AM

djinFl. said… DC- I expect Werth to spend some time with Harper before tomorrow night and help with the adjustments he needs to make. August 21, 2012 9:37 PM ______________________________I was thinking the same thought but LaRoche as a lefty can maybe help more.

119. TheDC - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Finally a nice 1-2-3 inning for Drew, he certainly needed that

120. ehay2k - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Hey, there are the rest of my imaginary friends!

121. ehay2k - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Ouch – that was "Injurious Jammage"

122. NatsLady - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:00 AM

We need Drew. Burnett is showing signs of wear.

123. ehay2k - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:02 AM

That was a HUGE DP – keeps Heyward off the plate with 2 runners on base.

124. Drew - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Yea baby!The pitcher's best friend — mine, too!

125. ehay2k - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Natslady – Drew already pitched tonight. Or did you mean in general, we need him to pitch more to take pressure off Burnett?

126. TheDC - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:03 AM

HUGE double play there with the potential tying run at the plate, Sean had done his job again tonight.

127. NatsLady - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:07 AM

ehay2k, meant need Drew at full strength. Yes, to take pressure off Burnett. Nice DP, though. All that time in PFP was NOT wasted!

128. NatsLady - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:08 AM

At least Bryce didn't smash his bat.

129. ehay2k - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:08 AM

@TheDC – I guess we are even on cokes.

130. TheDC - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Well now i guess i owe you a coke too ehay2k

131. ehay2k - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Hmm.. I may be up one now! ;-)

132. ehay2k - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:15 AM

These are the kind of game-time posts we see when the Nats are playing well and winning.

133. TheDC - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Not the greatest of starts for the top of the ninth, but we believe in the goggles.

134. ehay2k - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Natslady – is Bryce still borrowing someone else's (Werth's ?) bat? If so, the bat breaking has probably been banned by the owner.

135. ehay2k - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Two HUGE outs! Great pitching by Clip. Nice commentary by Ray-Ray.

136. ehay2k - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Cue MicheleS please!

137. Candide - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:24 AM

WOO-YFN-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

138. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:25 AM

"WOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOO!"(Copyright, 2012, MicheleS,All rights reserved. Void where prohibited.31 games over .500. Seven-game lead over the Barves.Hey, Fredi, there's always the wild card.

139. TheDC - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Great job by Clippard escaping the jam! And a curly W is in the books!

140. Gonat - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Braves are dealt a 4 game losing streak now making the Nats lead in the East at 7 games. Still the Nats had to make it a Kardiac Kids ending.

141. Gonat - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:28 AM

As Carpenter called Fredi Gonzalez by the name of Freddie Freeman, why wouldn't you bring in Chipper in that situation to PH for Franisco?

142. ehay2k - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Freddie might actually manage the game better than Fredi.

143. natsfan1a - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:40 AM

144. natsfan1a - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Great pitching performance and great win. Thought it might be another late night but got to watch it all in real time, despite the freak rain delay.