Game 124: Braves at Nats

Aug 22, 2012, 7:29 PM EST

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats go for a three-game sweep and an 8-game lead in the NL East.

If you go back only 2 1/2 months, back to June 3, and look at the NL East standings, you a total of 3 1/2 games separating the first-place Nationals and the last-place Phillies. At that moment, there was every reason to expect this race would be a dogfight straight through September, with no one club capable of running away with it.

Well, take a look at the standings entering tonight. The Mets, Phillies and Marlins all are at least 20 games out. The Braves are seven games back, desperately needing a win in tonight's series finale to avoid falling into an eight-game hole. Pretty remarkable.

Ross Detwiler gets the ball for the Nationals. Kris Medlen starts for the Braves. Chipper Jones makes his final appearance in D.C. (unless these two teams meet again in the postseason) and the Nats will honor the retiring third baseman in a pregame ceremony beginning at 6:40 p.m.

Updates to come…

LF Michael Morse

1. natsfan1a - Aug 22, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Go, Det! Go, NATS!!

2. natsfan1a - Aug 22, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Over DC only? ;-)Scattered storms

3. MicheleS - Aug 22, 2012 at 7:42 PM

GO DET! Go Bats! Let's ruin Chipper's last night in town!GYFNG!!!!

4. TheDC - Aug 22, 2012 at 7:46 PM

It's time for the knockout blow, GO NATS!

5. A DC Wonk - Aug 22, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Since the All Star Break — Detwiler has ERA of 2.91 and an outstanding WHIP of 0.969 — batting average against of .214Mr National Det — more please!!

6. Grandstander - Aug 22, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I will give Mr. Jones a standing ovation for his first at bat, and then will proceed to heckle him by yelling "LAAAAAARRRRRYYY" for the rest of the game.

7. TheManBearPig - Aug 22, 2012 at 7:53 PM

I have a feeling we'll be seeing Chipper in Nats Park again in October.

8. Candide - Aug 22, 2012 at 7:53 PM

MicheleS, to get back to the parking thing for a bit – were you saying you got ticketed while parked at a meter? Or was it some other (unmetered, therefore supposedly free) spot?If the latter, please advise where – street and cross-street, if you can – 'cuz much as I love free parking, I hate parking tickets.And I'll bet lots of other folks here do, too.

9. MicheleS - Aug 22, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Candide, it was an unmetered spot by the plant. No sign saying not to park there.

10. baseballswami - Aug 22, 2012 at 8:04 PM

The line up is TBA – and the cool thing about our line up is that it almost doesn't matter who is in it and where they are playing. I think Tracy is really the only guy I see as exclusively a pinch hitter. The others would be just fine on the list. Go Nats!!! By the way – I was in a sporting goods store today ( yes, I did buy another new nats shirt), and ESPN was on a small tv with Tim Kurkjian blathering about you know what. Several people in the store were shaking their heads in disgust and yelling at the tv – "Just shut up"! It was so cool as the other customers had no idea what was going on.

11. Uncle Atom - Aug 22, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Go Det, pitch the game of your life (until the next time you pitch)! GYFNG!

12. Wendell - Aug 22, 2012 at 8:19 PM

MicheleSI've parked there as well with no problem. At one game, however, I was "charged" a "fee" by someone who was apparently affiliated with the people who were running the pay parking at the plant.

13. Candide - Aug 22, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Thanks, MicheleS. Dang, that's going to make the competition for the metered spaces tougher…

14. A DC Wonk - Aug 22, 2012 at 8:24 PM

I have a feeling we'll be seeing Chipper in Nats Park again in October. I'd say odds are decent — but less than 50-50.I think Braves, Pirates, Cards, and loser of Dodgers/Giants will fight for the two wildcards. Then, the two (of those four) will play each other. Then, the winner will (I'm guesstimating) play the Nats.The Braves have a long way to go before they can play a division champion. There are only three games separating Braves, Giants, Pirates, Card, and Giants.

15. baseballswami - Aug 22, 2012 at 8:24 PM

The Mets put Santsna on the Dl. Expected out for the season . His last start was against us— whoops, did we break another pitcher? I actually think the 125 pitches for the no no did it. Although it is his back not his shoulder.

16. A DC Wonk - Aug 22, 2012 at 8:25 PM

(There are only three games separating Braves, Giants, Pirates, Card, and Dodgers.)

17. RickH - Aug 22, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Regarding parking, there's something I've discovered which may be common knowledge for everyone else. It used to be that if you parked at a meter and the sign said something like "2 hour parking, 9:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.," it meant that after 6:30 you could park for free. Now, if you read the fine print on the meter, there's no time limit after 6:30 (or whatever time it says) BUT you still have to pay the meter until 10:00. I and every car parked along one street over on Capitol Hill got a ticket during an event I went to last year.

18. RickH - Aug 22, 2012 at 8:30 PM

P.S. GO NATS!!! LET'S GET A SWEEP!!!

19. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 22, 2012 at 8:34 PM

No Uggla tonight

20. baseballswami - Aug 22, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Or Bourne.

21. Theophilus T. S. - Aug 22, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Braves are going to have lots of holes in their lineup next season. Prado supposedly will move to third to replace Jones, so they'll need a LF; they still don't have a SS; Bourne probably will leave (but hopefully not for D.C.) because they don't seem to want to resign him, and I'm going to bet they try to move Uggla because, with all of the issues/question marks on defense, they don't need his iron glove at second base.

22. baseballswami - Aug 22, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Don't the Braves have a great young middle infielder – maybe Andrelton Simmons? Must be on the dl. I think they also have Pasternicky and Yanish. Will those three be their infield?

23. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 22, 2012 at 8:50 PM

No "Duh-Uggla"…excellent.I'll cheer Larry … then hope we never see him again. Guy has been a Nats-killer from the get-go.I wouldn't bet on the Barves seeing the postseason. I think they're going to get post-traumatic stress disorder as a result of this series and then there's September. Remember, September fellas?No, they're cooked. Put a fork in 'em.Win tonight, and we'll be up by eight with 37 to play. I like those odds.GYFNG!!

24. Doc - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:01 PM

OK, I get it.Hit a 3-Run dinger, and Davey keeps you outta the lineup!So far KSuzk is 1-11 in CS's and JFlo is 1-2 since KSuzk made the scene. JFlo would be 2-2, except that Clip doesn't have any interest in holding runners on!Maybe Davey wasn't watchin' when JFlo hit the HR?

25. Theophilus T. S. - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Swami — Simmons has been hurt. As I recall, they opened w/ Pasternicky because of, among other reasons, Simmons's defense. Then they decided Pasternicky was "a utility man." Janish is nearly 30, nobody's prospect. Whether Simmons is "great" is YTBD. I think they're going to slide back next year.

26. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Go National Det Another member of the K street gang.

27. Wendell - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:05 PM

SwamiSimmons is on the dl (broken finger I think). He was very impressive, though.

28. A DC Wonk - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Maybe Davey wasn't watchin' when JFlo hit the HR?Believe it or not, I actually do think Davey saw it.Even _with_ yesterday's game — Flores is hitting .164 since the middle of July. A single HR to go along with two ground outs doesn't mean he's out of his prolonged slump.

29. Another_Sam - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Michele and others: regarding parking from an earlier thread. On the walk from Capitol [Capital?]South metro, I think I see plenty of Nats fans parking on the street, on the overpass that you walk over, and further south toward the ballpark. [Aside: if one rides orange line from Virginia, the CS metro stop is a hidden gem.] Have you tried there? Is this legit parking for fans?

30. Swift Eagle - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Nats are 13-1 when Werth, Zimmerman, and Morse are all in the starting line-up…

31. #4 - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Mick,I have returned from the wilds of WVA, and your prediction that the Nats would be up 7 has come true. I am beyond fired up.

32. NCNatsie - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:25 PM

33. baseballswami - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I understand that it is raining at nats park and the tarp is on.Totally blue skies in Prince William County – maybe they all could move down to the Pfitz? Maybe it will stop by game time? Or another rain delay? Floods, preying mantis, pestilence of all kinds.

34. mick - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM

swami…. lol

35. djinFl. - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Sunshine – add to your list for potential Braves woes the fact they fly to San Fran tonight for a 4 game series, starting tomorrow.

36. mick - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM

#4…. lol

37. Nats In Athens - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Before I give my two cents, let me tell you all I write is with a positive slant. I love where we are, I remember where we were, from the excitement of 2005, to the difficult times of 2007 to 2009 and the slow climb that suddenly went into overdrive. It is scary to think where this team would have been had they chosen to pony up and sign Cespedes and Chapman… I was praying for both but we got neither. I do not complain as we are way ahead of where I hoped we would be but can only dream of what if… Of course at that point I can always dream that instead of Storen we would have picked Trout. This is a very easy path to go down… Forgive me but these hights are giving me a dizzy spell!!!!

38. mick - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:40 PM

A DC Wonk said…I have a feeling we'll be seeing Chipper in Nats Park again in October. interesting post, I totally agree with you. The problem is the Nats and Braves are the best in NL and have to play in the 1st round not the NLCS. However, there is an old saying, you gotta play them and beat them sometime, lol

39. mick - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Nats In Athens we deserve to be dizzy! I think we all put in our dues as fans in 2007 and 2008

40. Grandstander - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Swift Eagle, the problem is that we win so often this kind of stuff is getting too easy. So here's a challenge: come up with a reasonable variable that accounts for at least 14 games in which the Nats have a losing record.We're 6-8 in the last 14 games HRod made an appearance in.

41. pRAA with the ISO - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:43 PM

I'm currently standing in the shelter of a building just up Half St from the park. It is indeed raining here. Started just as I was walking out of Lot HH. But it will be over soon, probably before the Larry ceremony. Blue skies in every direction I look, except overhead.

42. mick - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:44 PM

HRod…. hee hee I forgot all about him, how is doing?lolactually, HRod saved 6-8 games for us in April and May and the others… well….

43. NatsLady - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Raining pretty hard in Baileys Crossroads.

44. f7a17860-d840-11e1-b2b2-000bcdcb8a73 - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:49 PM

It's "legit," but it ain't free. There are those green computerized meters there. And it's about $15-20 for Nats park events – assuming the meter is programmed correctly.

45. TheManBearPig - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Wonk, if you look at Det's starts since he rejoined the rotation June 24, the numbers aren't quite as good as if you just look at post asb, but his performance over the entire period shows a consistency we didn't see previously. Only two bad outings out of 10 and the most recent of those came on a day he was sick. 4 times out of those 10 he went 7 innings and was superb, giving up 0 runs twice and 2 twice. In his first start, post-bullpen Det shut the Os out for 5 innings. He's not a 5th starter for anyone but the Nats. Hope he keeps it goin tonight.

46. baseballswami - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I can't even imagine the magnitude of Steve McCatty's job. Those are some varied personalities with enormous talent. Would love to have a camera follow him sometime . The audio would probably have to be on a delay.

47. JaneB - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I agree about McCatty, swami. I would love to hear what he's saying and how he's saying it.Today, a friend said, "I mean this is the best possible way. But you know how people sometimes say, 'Well, I know these people who…' in some sort of contest about extreme and nutty behavior? Well, and don't take this the wrong way, we talk about you and Jeff that way. About the Nats."The only consolation is that, if you are reading this game thread before the game's even started because you, too, need a hit of Nationals, YOUR friends say the same things about you, Imaginary Friends. It's good company, as far as I'm concerned. GYFNG!

48. Wendell - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:04 PM

From the Braves blog re Uggla, "2 years isn’t a slump it’s a lifestyle."

49. baseballswami - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Oh – my friends and co-workers say it straight to my face. I was actually trying to explain to some of my friends that it's not a choice. The Nats just pop into my head all the time. Luckily I raised my sons the right way and we can text or talk on the phone anytime we want about the Nats and it's perfectly normal. They both have a standing order that if the Nats ever have a nono going and I am asleep or at work, they are to wake me up or interrupt me no matter what. I will never forgive them if they don't.

50. DannyEllinosa - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:06 PM

We right with you Jane! Except right now we at the park drinking thru the rain at Stars&Stripes bar! Wish you were here!

51. TheDC - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I agree with you Jane. I'm even Italian, baseball isn't on anybody's mouth, and i'm criticized for thinking so much about the Nats. It's nice to have a place like this where i can talk about the team i support with people who loves the Nats just like me.

52. A DC Wonk - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:22 PM

… While the Nats get to test a full day for their long trip to Phillie ;-)

53. A DC Wonk - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Mick, I was responding to that, and saying that while it's a decent chance, I still thought it'd be less than 50-50

54. A DC Wonk - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:29 PM

He had nine saves by mid-May

55. baseballswami - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Another rain delay! – Should be a short one, though.

56. Old Wino - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:03 PM

A nono at what inning? I only ask because I want the same rule for my boys.

57. baseballswami - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:07 PM

They are so baseball savvy that they will know from The beginning that there is a chance. We usually start texting each other after 6 when it's any team. I am guessing that might be the warning time.

58. Candide - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:10 PM

NatsLady, I read that link to DC parking regs, and the last paragraphs you refer to. All I can say is that all the words look like English, but after three readings, I still don't know what they're trying to say.I hatehatehate incomprehensible laws. When people can't understand the laws, they begin to have contempt for the law. And that's always a bad thing.

59. NatsLady - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Candide–I felt the same. Maybe there is a lawyer on here…Here–a reminder of the bad old days… (I really liked Manny Acta, poor guy).paul hoynes ‏@hoynsieManny Acta's message to Tribe after 8th straight def. "Relax. They've never released 25 guys at once. If anybody is going to go it's me."

60. baseballswami - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM

So I understand they are presenting gifts to Chipper. Riddle me this, Nats friends. Wasn't it the very same larry that hit the first home run in nats park? I will never forget Zim ending the game and I think Guzzie got the first hit for the nats.

61. NatsLady - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM

62. NatsLady - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Swami, yes. They are giving him back the very bat.

63. RickH - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Swami … You're right. Mark has a post up and Rizzo gave him a framed photo of the homer and the bat he used.

64. JaneB - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Do we get FP back tomorrow? Mark, thanks for the report on the Chipper ceremony.

65. -Dan- - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Yes Jane, FP will be back for Friday's game against the Phillies.

66. The Z-Mantis! - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Cloudburst can be a good thing…

67. Candide - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:40 PM

NatsLady said…Candide–Funny how I can totally grasp augmented triads and can't figure out the parking regs.Augmented triads… hell, that's easy – C-E-G# – everybody knows that.But I challenge any normal person* to translate that penultimate paragraph in the parking reg you linked to.* I.E. a non-lawyer…

68. Gonat - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Swift Eagle said… Nats are 13-1 when Werth, Zimmerman, and Morse are all in the starting line-up… August 22, 2012 5:17 PM __________________________________Good stats from the Legion of BOOM! Did you also know the Nats best Win % occurs on Wednesdays!

69. Gonat - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Great job by Det coming back after the Leadoff double.

70. Candide - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Gonat said… Swift Eagle said…Nats are 13-1 when Werth, Zimmerman, and Morse are all in the starting line-up… August 22, 2012 5:17 PM __________________________________ Good stats from the Legion of BOOM! Did you also know the Nats best Win % occurs on Wednesdays!So we can all go home now, right?

71. djinFl. - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:45 PM

On the parking issueWe were parked near that pepco substation near the concrete plant one night and were ticketed. It had the same sign you mentioned. We took pictures of the sign and mailed in the ticket to appeal it. We got a letter saying they were reviewing it. that was three years ago!

72. Gonat - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Wow, Johan Santana got shut down for the remainder of the season.

73. The Z-Mantis! - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:47 PM

74. Candide - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:48 PM

djinFl. said…We took pictures of the sign and mailed in the ticket to appeal it. We got a letter saying they were reviewing it. that was three years ago!There's probably an active warrant for your arrest out there now.

75. djinFl. - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:52 PM

CandideWhy I do not announce games I attend.We all know everyone reads this site.

76. Candide - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Ooh yeah, Zimm!

77. ehay2k - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Lol djinfl. DC Parking Enforcement is everywhere!Nice play by Zimm. Great communication with Desi.

78. The Z-Mantis! - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:58 PM

But I challenge any normal person, i.e., a non-lawyer, to translate that penultimate paragraph in the parking reg you linked to.Not sure I'm normal, but IANAL, so, close enough for blog work, I guess."2404.28 For the purposes of this section evening hours are defined as 6:30 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. the following day."When we say "evening" we mean from after 6:30 at night until 7:00 the next morning.What do I win?

79. ehay2k - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:01 AM

1 coke, headed your way!

80. Swift Eagle - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Interference?? Danny May have been inside the line

81. The Z-Mantis! - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:04 AM

ehay, thanks, but I got to wear a beer last night, when some drunk was running from the police.

82. The Z-Mantis! - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:06 AM

He was definitely inside the line, but at the bag by the time the ball hit him.Oh, but he doesn't take out the DP, and it costs them.

83. ehay2k - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Dang! Thought Espi had that, or at least would break up the DP.

84. ehay2k - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Z-mantis, I was at home last night, just saying…

85. Candide - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Z-Mantis – sorry, I meant paragraph 2404.27, which reads:Notwithstanding subsection 2404.7, a person may, during evening hours, park a vehicle for longer than the posted time limit in a parking meter zone that is located in an Unlimited Evening Hour Zone; provided, that the person must still pay for parking during the times metered parking is enforced.Wuzzat mean?

86. The Z-Mantis! - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Didn't mean to imply otherwise, ehay, it's just the "heading at you" brought back the memory.

87. A DC Wonk - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Detwiler has no-hit stuff thus far. He's completely dominating, and would have three perfect innings if it weren't for that fluke poke lead-off hit by Prado.

88. A DC Wonk - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:16 AM

(oh — and he has 35 pitches, 27 of them strikes after 3 innings)Best I've seen Detwiler throw all year. Really. I hope he can keep it up.

89. Gonat - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Medlen listed at 5'10". Looks about 5'8"

90. -Dan- - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:18 AM

The Nats are hitting the ball hard though, let's hope it's a good sign for the middle innings.

91. ehay2k - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:20 AM

OK, being a DC native has its advantage: "Notwithstanding subsection 2404.7, a person may, during evening hours, park a vehicle for longer than the posted time limit in a parking meter zone that is located in an Unlimited Evening Hour Zone; provided, that the person must still pay for parking during the times metered parking is enforced.""If the signs says two hour limit, but it is past 6:30, you can park for more than two hours but you still gots to pay the MAN."

92. The Z-Mantis! - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Oh, the antepenultimate graf. I sorta figured that was what you meant, but you hung a breaker there, and so I took a hack. But 2404.27 isn't much harder.2404.7 says you can't feed the meters, iow, put more time on the meter than they are set up to accept at one go, by letting some time run off and then adding money again. If the meter won't take more than 2 hours worth of your money, we expect you to move your car after 2 hours, and give somebody else a turn.2404.27 says Don't feed the meters, but in an Unlimited Evening Zone, and after 6:30 at night until 7 in the morning, you can stay longer than the maximum time on a meter.You just took up 6 minutes of my time, where do I send the bill?

93. A DC Wonk - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Hey — do I know how to jinx 'em or what! ;-)Sorry, Det.

94. The Z-Mantis! - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:24 AM

95. Swift Eagle - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Another pick made to look easy by ALR…

96. The Z-Mantis! - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Dang, coke coming back your way, ehay.

97. -Dan- - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:26 AM

What a mistake by Espi, luckily for us Chipper grounded into a DP on the very next pitch.

98. The Z-Mantis! - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:27 AM

He is slick, isn't he, Swift?

99. Swift Eagle - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Another catcher???

100. -Dan- - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Mantis, look out, ehay knows very well how to get some cokes here, i owe him one too.

101. Swift Eagle - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:29 AM

ALR is Sweet!! Z-Mantis

102. The Z-Mantis! - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Man, I'm going to go ice my hand after seeing that.

103. Candide - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:30 AM

The Z-Mantis! said… I left a part off: "on a meter, but you still have to pay for the time you're there before 6:30."That seems to conflict with what ehay2k wrote:"If the signs says two hour limit, but it is past 6:30, you can park for more than two hours but you still gots to pay the MAN."Do you gots to pay the man even after 6:30? See RickH's 4:29 post.

104. Swift Eagle - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Yeah, his hand looked swollen and purple to me…I'm thinking he should come out

105. NatsLady - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:31 AM

OK, so if I get there at 6:35 pm, DO I HAVE TO PAY??? If am there on Sunday, DO I HAVE TO PAY?

106. NatsLady - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:32 AM

So, I gots to pay? Until how late do I gots to pay?

107. NatsLady - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Because in NW I don't have to pay… At least, I never did.

108. Candide - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:34 AM

"Chucking and ducking." Nice one, Carp.

109. mick - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:38 AM

another good pitching duel

110. Candide - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:40 AM

NatsLady, if you get there at 6:35 ("there" being the metered spaces near the concrete plant), you're not going to get a parking spot anyway.

111. Candide - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:42 AM

I believe all the metered spots are free on Sunday. *I* certainly haven't paid on Sundays, and my car has never been polluted by a summons when I've gotten back from the game.

112. mick - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Det is only at 51 pitches

113. Swift Eagle - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Ugh, walk the pitcher on 4 pitches to get Prado who is 10-18 v Det….Yikes

114. Grandstander - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Det's geting the Cat Walk, not good…

115. mick - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:51 AM

how do you walk the pitcher on 4 straight pitches? I really like Det, but I just don't understand why he stops attacking when a 125 hitting pitcher is up

116. Swift Eagle - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:51 AM

A really bad walk

117. mick - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:52 AM

This has to drive Cat and Davey nuts

118. -Dan- - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Another walk comes back to haunt us, it will be tough for the Nats now, facing a starter who's rolling.

119. mick - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:54 AM

what is frustrating is that Det was only at 62 pitches before he walked the pitcher with 2 outs, he is not tired, I really think he has some confidence problems that come up at times and he stops attacking.

120. Gonat - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Can't walk the pitcher. Nats need to get their bats going.

121. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Cat and Davey? How about me? I've supported this kid as a baseball guy for 2 seasons and he STILL goes completely brain dead.I'm spittin nails I'm so pissed!

122. mick - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Natsjack… I hear you, on a positive side, let's hope he learns from it heading into post season

123. mick - Aug 23, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Medlen is a great pick up for Braves

124. mick - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:02 AM

There is a teachable moment for Ross, by Medlen, attacked him with 3 fast balls

125. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:04 AM

NatsJack, I want to love the kid and finally saw his 2nd chance this year came a. new Ross as a student of the game and he stumbled last inning. Nats can help him with some offense.

126. -Dan- - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Things are getting bad here, Det's having some serious trouble locating his fastball.

127. baseballswami - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Seems like the Nats hitters do well against pitchers with big reputations. Then they fail epically against the baby faced young'uns.

128. JaneB - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Wow. Ross was doing well until he wasn't. Our guys need to get some hits and get some runs up there. I want them to have a day off at 8 games up.

129. -Dan- - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Huge job by Stammen, now it's time for Werth to get things going

130. baseballswami - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Ross was throwing at velocities I have not seen from him before. Maybe he was really amped up and burned himself out early. He has awesome stuff and is going to be great when he learns how to harness himself. Sometimes he is his own worst enemy. You all say – in Davey we trust, or in Rizzo we trust? I trust McCatty to bring him along. He might be a loose cannon still this year sometimes, but he has the potential to be really, really good. Even Gio and Stras have had games where the least little thing made them snap. The other night when the ump got hit in the face, Stras immediately gave up runs. Some youthful follies going on all over the field – Espi and Harper. That's going to be an issue with such a young team.

131. -Dan- - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Harper's hot streak hasn't lasted that much, huh? Last night's game has surely affected him.

132. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Quick notes: Nice game for milone. Defense behind him gave Twins a lot of chances but Tommy survived all that and pitched 8 innings. Hammer on the other hand, had a bad game, 0 for 4. I will see how I can share some pics.Good luck to Nats! Sweep would be awesome.Also happy to see DC hold a ceremony for Chip. I think baseball towns do that.

133. -Dan- - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Great AB by Morse there, as FP would have said, keep the line moving.

134. Secret wasian man - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:35 AM

I'm sure I will be roasted for this. But. Bryce is an embarrassment at the plate. It's laughable. It's time for bernandina or Lombo. He is really wasting some great hits by worth.

135. mick - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Do not understand a veteran player like Adam's at bat, very frustrated! I hope in post season he would have taken the first pitch from a pitcher who just walked the last batter?

136. Secret wasian man - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Mick I agree. Sometimes I wonder how the nats are in first. Wasted inning there.

137. mick - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:37 AM

wassian… I do not have a problem with Bryce, he is 19 and a rookie, I have a huge problem with LaRoche's at bat, he is a veteran and as Bobby C says, he is paid to drive the ball, even a sac fly would have been OK, not a first pitch swing after the pitcher was rattled from walking Morse.any way, its still all good.

138. mick - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Medlen is the best pitching pick up by any team at the deadline, it shows why the Braves are a great organization, forget Dempster and Grienke.

139. Swift Eagle - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Ray Knight said…"Just b/c you won the games before this game doesn't mean you don't want to have importance on this game which is the game in front of you, no matter if you won or lost the games before this one"After plugging this quote into my Ray Knight translation machine, I can tell you he meant."This is an important game"

140. Secret wasian man - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Agree totally with Adam. But when trying Win a pennant you dont let a kid who can't hit anything but a fastball bat second. All Lombo does is hit. Ahe deserves to play.

141. mick - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I would like to see Lombo at some point tonight

142. mick - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Swift 8 up is better than 6 up, lol

143. Secret wasian man - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Swift you are correct. And the phillies scare me to death. It's time to start pinch hitting for some of these guys in crucial spots. Like roger for Bryce.

144. Secret wasian man - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:46 AM

There's another joke at the plate. Suzuki. Didn't Flores jack a 3 run shot last night?

145. Swift Eagle - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Again it's Lombo

146. mick - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:47 AM

What does Lombo have to do Davey to start again?

147. Secret wasian man - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Now batting second and playing right field. From my high school. STEVE LOMBARDOZZI!!!!!!!

148. Gonat - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:48 AM

This would be a great time for a Jayson Werth HR. Just sayin'

149. mick - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:48 AM

wasian… it seems like suzuki is an automatic out,, he is a great defensive catcher thoug

150. Secret wasian man - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Agree mick. But with him the pitcher and Bryce that has become 3 automatics. Oh well .

151. Swift Eagle - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Medlin has thrown a great game…Good gameplan. Fastballs away, soft stuff inside, and a whole bunch of broken bats and ugly half swings…

152. Gonat - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Gonat said… This would be a great time for a Jayson Werth HR. Just sayin' August 22, 2012 9:48 PM ___________________________Missed that HR by 385 feet.

153. Gonat - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Gorzo got 4 outs there!

154. Swift Eagle - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:01 AM

AHA He can hit! and RUN!

155. Swift Eagle - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:02 AM

First AB in a while where Harper's back foot stayed on the ground…Squash the Bug, Bryce!

156. Secret wasian man - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Swift I stepped out. Did Bryce get a hit

157. baseballswami - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Ok – why do you say Suzuki is a great defensive catcher. Not seeing it. Adequate. Hasn't made any "great" plays. And is it maybe time to have Lombardozzi start in the outfield and have Bryce sit? Which rookie is performing consistently and which rookie is not? I know – legion of doom is building.

158. Swift Eagle - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:03 AM

There we go…Not over yet

159. Gonat - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:03 AM

BEAST MODE!

160. NatsLady - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Boy I'm glad Fredi took Medlen out. Whew.

161. Secret wasian man - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Swami. Amen. Suzuki is terrible. I can't believe it but he's worse than Flores.

162. Swift Eagle - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Yes, Bryce had a base hit to left, and hustled into 2nd on an E7

163. Gonat - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Swift Eagle said… There we go…Not over yet August 22, 2012 10:03 PM _____________________________Bernadina in for Morse to pinch-run. This is playoff style NatsInsiders!

164. Swift Eagle - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Now is the time…Don't want to deal with Kimbrel

165. Swift Eagle - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Exactly Gonat…time to go to work…Need to make them earn the last 5 outs

166. Swift Eagle - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:07 AM

If O'Flaherty throws the rosin bag up there on the first pitch, I still think Ian will swing

167. blovy8 - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Lombo may get in sooner than you think after the way Desmond went down the line there

168. mick - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Bryce comes through wasian man. Should have had more than 1 run

169. Gonat - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Hoping thats a crank with Desi!

170. mick - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:09 AM

I hate DP balls in big situations!!

171. mick - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:11 AM

They boys get Thursday off… will be ready to roll in Philly.

172. baseballswami - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Was it Kimbrel or Flaherty that HArper tagged for a homer earlier this season? Could use some ninth inning fireworks here. I think it's typically unpredictable in a baseball sort of way that we thought Hudson/Zimmermann was going to be the pitcher's duel. It was a 13 inning slugfest. Detwiler/Medlin is the pitcher's duel.

173. blovy8 - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:13 AM

ugh

174. ehay2k - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Need a quick out here.

175. ehay2k - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Missed most of the game to take a call for work. Carp says we missed some opportunities to score. Have we at least played well, or is this a bit of a sloppy game? Sure looks like it from the bit I just saw, staying with Werth's drop (no harm done there, just not a good play.)

176. Candide - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Who let the '09 Nats in here?

177. mick - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Is the 9th inning retro night for Nats, back to 2007 season, lol2-1 game, why not pitch Storen, he was warming up and the team is off tomorrow? Bad inning for Davey too, not just the players

178. Secret wasian man - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Mick. I luv the kid Bryce. Just a little frustrated. Let's get 2 this weekend. Braves have the giants. Go giants.

179. Candide - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Time for me to go to bed. Nats have a way of coming back to win after I give up on them. G'night, all.

180. mick - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:19 AM

ehay2… Adam L had a horrible at bat fir a veteran player in the 7th inning, that kinda set the tone

181. NatsLady - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:19 AM

It's like everyone lost focus all at once–right after they didn't tie it in the 8th.

182. ehay2k - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Is it mean for me to want us to work over Kimbrel like a Toronto starter? I just want us to win!

183. mick - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:21 AM

wasian.. I hear you, I am frustrated all around, with Davey too, do not know why he stuck with Gorzo when the team is off tomorrow?? It was a 2-1 game.

184. baseballswami - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Don't get the Gorzelanny thing. Storen has closed, Mattheus had been terrific. Total implosion. The error didn't help, but he is lobbing grenades in there anyway.

185. Secret wasian man - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:21 AM

With the shutdown coming we need to store as many Ws as possible when possible.

186. Nats212 - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Mick If then use drew, they would have no one To close….clip and burnett throwed a lot of pitches The first Two games

187. ehay2k - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Of course, we win the series no matter what, and the Barves will leave town in a deeper hole than the one in which they arrived.Come on, Espi!

188. mick - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:22 AM

just one of those nights… Zim will have an error now and then. i am more frustrated with why Davey did not go with Storen in the 9th?

189. Secret wasian man - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Nats have not swept a lot of series. After they get the first 2 the sense of urgency seems to go away.

190. mick - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Nats212, how about Gonzalas? Drew was warming up before we scored thee run

191. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Guys I'm totally disappointed in tonite…1. Detwiler for the 4 pitch walk to the opposing pitcher with 2 outs and a runner on first so he can pitch to Prado.2. LaRoche for swinging at the first pitch with bases loaded and 1 out after a walk.3. Desmond fot 2 terrible at bats with runners in scoring position, one ending in a dp and the other ending an inning with the bases loaded.4. And this is a tie, Zim for his typical throwing error for no reason at all and Gorzelany for NEVER being a shutdown reliever.

192. Swift Eagle - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Kimbrel is nasty…

193. mick - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Natsjack, you hit the nail on head!

194. Swift Eagle - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Jack, I still say the 4 pitch, 2 out, walk to the pitcher to face Prado earns Ross the Home Depot Tool of the Game Award…

195. Secret wasian man - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Nats jack lets not forget Bryce swinging like a 3rd grader after werths dbl.

196. mick - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Kimbrell is nasty

197. mick - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Swift… lol that is good and I agree

198. Gonat - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Won't win them all.

199. Nats212 - Aug 23, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Mick, i think this war daveys thinking process, im down by 1, however I have my botton of The lineup coming up, against kimbrel! Hmmmm….. No chance! Not gonna burn anyone tonight. I think he war right