Aug 22, 2012, 10:02 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Stephen Strasburg threw six innings last night to raise his total to 145 1/3.
Though the Nationals have no set date for Stephen Strasburg’s shutdown, manager Davey Johnson did offer up the most-concrete clue yet today, suggesting the club will need another pitcher to make two or three starts in Strasburg’s place come late-September.
“I talked a little bit about it with [general manager Mike Rizzo,” Johnson said prior to the Nationals’ series finale against the Braves. “We kind of worked it out, and I think it came out with off-days we would need another starter for, I think, two starts. I think it was two starts, maybe three. I thought it was two.”
What exactly does that mean? It seems to suggest Strasburg will make either four or five more starts this season. He’s slated to pitch Tuesday in Miami, then lines up to start Sept. 2 against the Cardinals, Sept. 7 against the Marlins and Sept. 12 in New York.
It would then be a question of whether the Nationals will let the right-hander make one final start at home, likely Sept. 19 against the Dodgers.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent
- Braves hire new hitting coach away from Blue Jays