Aug 23, 2012, 4:50 AM EST
Associated Press photo
Ryan Zimmerman can’t corral Kurt Suzuki’s wild throw in the ninth inning.
For a split-second at the end of the eighth inning Wednesday night, as Ian Desmond awkwardly pulled up lame at first base, the fact the Nationals had just squandered another golden scoring opportunity seemed insignificant.
“Being out wasn’t real important in that moment,” said Desmond, who grounded into a 6-4-3 double play to quash a potential rally.
“I forgot about the game when I saw him,” manager Davey Johnson said. “I thought for sure he pulled a hammy.”
Once Desmond realized he hadn’t actually injured himself — he thinks he just hyperextended his knee — he could return to kicking himself over making two outs on one swing of the bat in a crucial moment of what was at that point a one-run game.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nate McLouth gives Nats depth & insurance
- Nats still have things to do at Winter Meetings
- Napoli, Red Sox agree on 2-year, $32M deal
- Nats 1B Adam LaRoche to join USO Holiday Tour
- Carlos Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Nationals sign outfielder McLouth to 2-year deal
- Phillies looking to trade CL Jonathan Papelbon
- Mariners sign Robinson Cano to 10-year, $240 million deal
- Point/Counterpoint: How good will Fister be?
- Sean Casey: Doug Fister is 'huge for the Nationals'