Aug 23, 2012, 4:50 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Ryan Zimmerman can’t corral Kurt Suzuki’s wild throw in the ninth inning.
For a split-second at the end of the eighth inning Wednesday night, as Ian Desmond awkwardly pulled up lame at first base, the fact the Nationals had just squandered another golden scoring opportunity seemed insignificant.
“Being out wasn’t real important in that moment,” said Desmond, who grounded into a 6-4-3 double play to quash a potential rally.
“I forgot about the game when I saw him,” manager Davey Johnson said. “I thought for sure he pulled a hammy.”
Once Desmond realized he hadn’t actually injured himself — he thinks he just hyperextended his knee — he could return to kicking himself over making two outs on one swing of the bat in a crucial moment of what was at that point a one-run game.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Roark, Ramos lead Nationals past Cubs 2-1
- Nats pregame music choice irks Phillies, they promise payback
- Roark gets the start for Nats at Wrigley
- State of the Nats: Rolling into Wrigley for Bryant vs. Harper
- Harper showing he can excel at 'the little things'
- Advice from teammates helps Gio get back on track vs. Phillies
- Anthony Rendon to take big step forward in rehab this week
- Strong Gio start secures another series win for Nats
- Nationals aim for another series win against Philly
- Still no answer for Strasburg's woes