Game 125: Nats at Phillies

Aug 24, 2012, 7:47 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Citizens Bank Park hosts the Nationals for a three-game weekend series.

PHILADELPHIA — Hello from the City of Brotherly Love, which hasn't quite been the happiest place on earth this baseball season. Things have picked up somewhat for the Phillies, though: They've gone 21-17 since the All-Star break and have stormed their way into third place in the NL East. (Of course, the Nationals have gone 28-13 over the same span.)

This is probably the first time the Nationals have ever played here with more on the line than the home club. It's kind of a strange position, you have to admit. As you can tell by their lineup, the Phillies are still dealing with injuries and some other glaring holes. Don't take these guys too lightly, though: You've got to believe they're motivated to prevent the Nats from running away with this division.

Edwin Jackson gets the ball for the Nationals, coming off an 11-strikeout performance against the Mets that nonetheless resulted in a loss due to a lack of run support. He'll hope his teammates do a little more damage at the plate tonight against Kyle Kendrick.

Live updates and analysis from Citizens Bank Park to come, so please check back…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 81 degrees, Wind 5 mph RF to LF

RF Jayson Werth 2B Steve Lombardozzi
CF Bryce Harper
LF Michael Morse

1. A DC Wonk - Aug 24, 2012 at 7:48 PM

GYFNG!!(first?)

2. Tcostant - Aug 24, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Take over Philly – tickets are going for under $4 to al games:https://www.stubhub.com/washington-nationals-road-games/

3. Kevin - Aug 24, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Back in spring training, if you had told Phillies fans that in late August they'd be in a virtual tie with the Marlins and Mets, and the Nationals would be nowhere in sight, they would've said you're right! LOL…

4. MicheleS - Aug 24, 2012 at 7:55 PM

GYFNG! CRUSH THE PHILLIES!TCostant. There is a group of Nats Fans heading up I-95 as we speak. I follow a bunch of them on Twitter..In Fact. GONAT have fun at Nats Park North tonight!

5. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 24, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Thanks NatsLady for the link on the other post.

6. Old Wino - Aug 24, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Love the steady as she goes lineup.Go Nats!

7. Old Wino - Aug 24, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Kevin, I'll be using that all night.

8. SonnyG10 - Aug 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Let's start the Phillies sweep tonight!!! GYFNG!!!

9. natsfan1a - Aug 24, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Go, Edwin! Go, NATS BATS!!Glad that Mark is there for updates as we'll be at the P-Nats game tonight and I won't see the Nats game in real time. Heading for the Pfitz in a bit.For the Nats fans heading to Philly, as a certain tv character was known to say, "Let's be careful out there." :-)

10. baseballswami - Aug 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Off the subject – but I was just checking out the cub/rockies game and they were talking about the ped situation. Melky Cabrera could win the batting title. That's just wrong. Do any of you think a ped bust should disqualify you for an individual award? I do.That being said – I also will be hoping for a total silence of the bell tonight. It will be interesting to see ( hear) how Jayson is received. He just seems to be outright seething all the time right now. Go get 'em JayDub!

11. natsfan1a - Aug 24, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Yup.Good point on Jayson. Go get 'em, tiger! grrrrr!!Do any of you think a ped bust should disqualify you for an individual award?

12. Knoxville Nat - Aug 24, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Swami,In regards to your suggestion that a ped bust should disqualify you for an individual award, all I can say is amen bro!! I'm with you on this one.

13. rabbit34 - Aug 24, 2012 at 8:38 PM

The Nationals still don't have a playoff caliber lineup. In a short playoff series they won't stand a chance. But….wait until next year when changes are made this off-season. An improved lineup, with the pitching they have, will be lights out.

14. natsfan1a - Aug 24, 2012 at 8:39 PM

In fact, I was just blathering about it to my husband this morning, "Should the taking of performance-enhancing drugs disqualify one for a performance award?" Um, yeah. imho.

15. Sec.3, My Sofa - Aug 24, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Swami, Lance Armstrong called and asked me to tell you, no way, the win should stand.

16. Sec.3, My Sofa - Aug 24, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Nice try, rabbit, but if you're going to troll, you need to work the Stras-down in there somehow.

17. JaneB - Aug 24, 2012 at 8:44 PM

rabbit, you're quoting a generic Phillies phan, right? Because last I looked, this is the #1 team in baseball. I'm just sayin'.I hope Jayson hits dinger after dinger. I actually am missing Lombo in the line up, though I don't know how he gets in there. I know if he should be in, Davey wold have done it. Still…GYFNG!!!!

18. natsfan1a - Aug 24, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Maybe have a cheesesteak and try again later.

19. Sec.3, My Sofa - Aug 24, 2012 at 8:45 PM

And, rabbit, maybe a mention of the Rizzo Fail in not getting in on the Red Sox's Adrian Gonzalez waiver, calling for them to trade Giolito and next year's first-round pick.

20. Sec.3, My Sofa - Aug 24, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I can't keep giving you all this free advice!

21. natsfan1a - Aug 24, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Okay, this is fun and all, but the Pfitz awaits. Hold 'em, Insiders. :-)

22. Sec.3, My Sofa - Aug 24, 2012 at 8:49 PM

OK, here's a thought: next time the Legion of Dumb comes in, instead of validating the premise, try playing Top the Troll–suggest better ways to have done whatever they seemed to be suggesting.I have to go to a show now, but keep it in mind. It's a marketing thing.

23. Sec.3, My Sofa - Aug 24, 2012 at 8:56 PM

24. Sec.3, My Sofa - Aug 24, 2012 at 8:58 PM

OK, guai fung! Take back their park, too, while we're at it.

25. MicheleS - Aug 24, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Wait? We didn't claim Josh Beckett? How we will we survive without that guy? Wow StanK is going against his normal plans.Hmmmm.. Maybe we claimed Justin Upton? Wait? We already have 12 outfielders?

26. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:10 PM

EJax pitch like last Saturday. Watched Zito last night he was solid. 6.5 up. let's win another series

27. baseballswami - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:12 PM

You know everything would have been just fine if Corey Brown hadn't been sent back down. ;) If he was still here we would have won 87 games by now!

28. baseballswami - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Who is pitching for the Giants tonight?

29. MicheleS - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Swami it's Vogelsong for the Giants and Sheets for the Barves

30. baseballswami - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Hmmmmm – Should be interesting.Sheets has not looked good recently. Big series starting tonight with the Reds and Cards,too. Hope they have extra security and medics standing by as these teams seem to end up in a MMA bout at some point.

31. MicheleS - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:33 PM

From Mark:GOON SQUAD!Mark Zuckerman‏@MarkZuckermanDavey says #Nats have given Chad Tracy a contract extension, signed for next year.

32. NatsLady - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Best pinch hitter in MLB–why not? No reason to expect he couldn't continue?

33. SCNatsFan - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:43 PM

This is the time for the Nats to step on the throat of the NL East. A sweep of the Bravos would have been nice but playing .667 the rest of the way is something I can live with.

34. sjm308 - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Sec 3!!!!from last post – pretty f'in fast!I just feel better now although if for some strange reason we lose tonight I am expecting a new moniker or whatever you call itGo Nats!!

35. MicheleS - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Sec3.. Love the Hat! Can we let those Mantis' loose during the St Louis seriers? I wonder if a swarm of them can take out that squirrel

36. baseballswami - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:48 PM

So what is actually the status with DeRosa? – We see him in the dugout, we hear about what a great mentor he is, we hear nothing about his status. He is on the DL with dfa-itis? I think he is getting paid to be a mentor at this point and should be considered for a coaching job in the minors next year. We have not heard one thing about him going on a rehab assignment or returning to the line up ( oh, please, no). Minor leagues are winding down. But the rest of the bench? Bernie, Lombo, Tracy, Moore. Yikes – potential to hurt you in the late innings, 2 with speed, defense and contact, 2 with big hits. Not to mention JFlo in there. Right now I think Bryce Harper is the weakest link in the entire offense. What does that say?

37. MicheleS - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Swami.. DeRo has DFA-itis until 9/1. Take Deep breathes! Remember Rizzo and Davey will figure this out. How weird is it that we are worrying about a bench guy in September.

38. peric - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Uh rabbit34 what changes? Sre you not following? The Nats aren't changing this lineup its one of the youngest and hughest ceiling in the NL and AL? Who would you replsce? Most all are young and developing? And Werth has a long term contract excluding trades. LaRoche will come back until Rendon is ready. They aren't going to replace Zimmerman, Espinosa, Desmond, or Harper. They get Ramos back but catching stays the same. Morse likely stays as well.

39. MicheleS - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Peric.. Rabbit34 likes to drop in and stir trouble every once in awhile.Rabbit.. being cheeky today.

40. Joe Seamhead - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I wonder if my new Cyber Raid! works on rabbits?

41. MicheleS - Aug 24, 2012 at 10:06 PM

So nice article about Jayson. Still hope he sticks to the phillies this weekend.Jayson Werth

42. baseballswami - Aug 24, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Michele – very nice.Classy guy. But do you think his competitive juices will be flowing?

43. MicheleS - Aug 24, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Swami, if you haven't noticed.. Umm Jayson is a bit intense, so yes, those competitive juices will be flowing.

44. MicheleS - Aug 24, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Ian Just got scratched!.. OY!

45. MicheleS - Aug 24, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Nationals PR‏@NationalsPR Davey Johnson has scratched Ian Desmond (right knee) from tonight's lineup as a precaution. He is available to pinch hit. Lineup to follow.

46. baseballswami - Aug 24, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Lombo sighting?

47. MicheleS - Aug 24, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Yup we have a lombo sightingNationals PR‏@NationalsPR Davey's New Lineup: Lombardozzi 2b, Harper cf, Zimmerman 3b, Morse lf, LaRoche 1b, Werth rf, Espinosa ss, Suzuki c, Jackson rhp.

48. JaneB - Aug 24, 2012 at 10:30 PM

My dogs will get no cookies tonight with Ian out. But Lombo will get us some runs, I'm predicting, so it's a fair trade. (I forgot who rabbit was, guys, Sorry. I'll ignore him in the future).And welcome back to FP! I'll be glad to hear him announce the end of Kyle Kendrick's possible no-hitter. GYFNG!

49. -Dan- - Aug 24, 2012 at 10:32 PM

So the Nats have the lineup they used during the last road trip, given the way they played, we shouldn't be that worried. It's nice to have an excellent bench as well, i see why Davey gives much importance to bench players.

50. baseballswami - Aug 24, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I like the interchangeable parts. That's the way it's been all season.

51. MicheleS - Aug 24, 2012 at 10:41 PM

All I want to know is if Chad's coming back, is Davey. I want to create a sign for Davey to draft him for 2013.

52. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 24, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Go Nats

53. -Dan- - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Does somebody know why they aren't showing the Nationals Baseball intro on MASN before games? I think it has been a week now.

54. MicheleS - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:13 PM

BAM BAM!!!! Way to go! Hustle double.

55. -Dan- - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:14 PM

There goes the no hitter, FP is back!

56. MicheleS - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:18 PM

NOOOOO! Not a HPB for Beast Mode!

57. -Dan- - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:22 PM

And there goes the Beast too… Let's hope he hasn't gotten anything broken, we need him in September.

58. baseballswami - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:24 PM

I really like the way they made the pitcher work. Many, many pitches and some stress. Hope the beast is ok.

59. mick - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:25 PM

unbelievable….. are the x raying Morse, MRI?

60. mick - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Dan…..Let's hope not

61. mick - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:28 PM

BTW: Charlie Manual is classless… Morse hurt and he is out there arguing a third strike

62. MicheleS - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:32 PM

WOW Carp and FP banging on the Philly fans for not showing up.

63. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:33 PM

EJax buckle up. Suzuki you need to catch foul tips

64. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Suzuki drop I knew would backfire.

65. -Dan- - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Mick, Morse is one of my favourite players, but the HBP looked so bad i couldn't wind up thinking about that. Let's hope he'll be back in the lineup on Sunday, not only for the team but also for the Beast himself. Let's keep the Phills at 1, there's still a long way to go, and Werth is leading up in the top of the second.

66. djinFl. - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Well doom and gloom showed up in a hurry.

67. MicheleS - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Good Double Play there. Got out of the inning with Minimal damage. Hope Jayson scorches one out.

68. rogieshan - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Cue the Bring Back Alfonso Soriano rumor.

69. -Dan- - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:41 PM

*leading offGreat job by Ejax getting the DP ball, both pitchers had long 1st innings, let's see when the bullpens will come into play.

70. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Good dp

71. MicheleS - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Wow it's really empty there. I wonder if they will consider it a seel out ;-)

72. MicheleS - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:42 PM

SELL OUT.. geesh. fat fingered that one.

73. SCNatsFan - Aug 24, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Seems like Ejax has Wang disease, the inability to pitch well early in games and gets stronger as the game progresses. Let's hope he gets it together soon tonight.

74. -Dan- - Aug 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Lombo saves two runs, another very long inning for Jackson though

75. mick - Aug 25, 2012 at 12:02 AM

any word on Morse?

76. MicheleS - Aug 25, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Mick.. nothing yet on Morse.

77. MicheleS - Aug 25, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Mick.. Latest.Nationals PR‏@NationalsPR Michael #Morse left tonight's with a contusion on his right hand

78. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 25, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Come on guys. this is getting old. poor hitting 2 consecutive games

79. djinFl. - Aug 25, 2012 at 12:06 AM

contusion for morse

80. -Dan- - Aug 25, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Contusion for Morse, Bob says everybody think it's a good news, glad to hear that.

81. Depot Master - Aug 25, 2012 at 12:10 AM

A contusion is a bruise. It may not eliminate the possibility of a break, as the swelling may get in the way of an accurate reading.However if it is just a bruise, perhaps the Nats have finally caught a (wait for it…) break!Now – what is REALLY going on with Desmond?

82. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 25, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Did they take a XRay on Morse? Why don't these guys invest in Kevlar lined gloves on the top of the hand.

83. djinFl. - Aug 25, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Mark Zuckerman‏@MarkZuckerman No word of X-ray on Morse's hand. We may not know that til postgame.

84. MicheleS - Aug 25, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Ghost, no news of Xrays. and I think it was the bottom hand for morse, but not sure.

85. SCNatsFan - Aug 25, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Contusion is good news but let's wait; some fractures are small and need films or cts the next day. Let's hope for more good news tomorrow.In the mean time lets get some offense going boys.

86. MicheleS - Aug 25, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Ghost, it was right hand so bottom hand, don't think Kevlar would have worked on that.

87. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 25, 2012 at 12:17 AM

There's so much medical news on this blog tonight I feel like I should show my insurance card and pay $5 co-pay just to be in full compliance.

88. NatsFanJim - Aug 25, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Jackson may not be the best pitcher on earth, but he sure is the greatest battler. He never, ever gives in or gives up. I love watching him pitch.We need some fireworks about now!!

89. NatsFanJim - Aug 25, 2012 at 12:23 AM

I have never heard a phillies home crowd this quiet.

90. MicheleS - Aug 25, 2012 at 12:24 AM

NF Jim, it's empty, but I am sure they will call it a sell out.

91. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 25, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I gotta disagree with you, MicheleS. I think there's as many people at this game tonight as there were for the Monday and Wednesday games of the Atlanta series here. About 30,000. They are quiet. I didn't think 30,000 Philly Phans could be this quiet.

92. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 25, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Come on hitters

93. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 25, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Haven't hit well since Tuesday

94. Fear and Ignorance - Aug 25, 2012 at 12:34 AM

257 consecutive sellouts…longest streak in National League history and we have people saying that 40,000+ looks empty??? They had 44,000 on Monday night and are 19.5 games back…we had 21,000. Need I say more.

95. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 25, 2012 at 12:39 AM

NatsFanJim @ 8:20: Ever see Bob Gibson pitch?

96. MicheleS - Aug 25, 2012 at 12:40 AM

F&I.. Interesting take on the "Sell out" streaks.http://deadspin.com/sellout-streaks-are-fake/

97. -Dan- - Aug 25, 2012 at 12:58 AM

It feels like the Nats are not in this game, let's hope someone can turn things around soon.

98. mick - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:14 AM

thanks Michele…. I hope the guys are not down because they know something about Morse's injury that is not good

99. NatsLady - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Jeez. They oughtta give Jackson a contract cause they sure don't give him any RUNS.

100. Secret wasian man - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Second straight lackluster game. Which is the first place team?

101. mick - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:20 AM

may as well watch a little of Good Counsel verse Bishop Gorman, can't believe Bobby Milloy is 69 years old.

102. Secret wasian man - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Very concerned about the lack of hitting the last 2 games. Be lucky to get one this weekend. Go sf

103. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:24 AM

So, if I'm reading the (somewhat conflicting) reports correctly, the Dodgers are about to execute a multi-player deal for — at a minimum — Adrian Gonzalez and Josh Beckett. But for that to happen, the Dodgers will have to put any major leaguers (e.g., Ivan DeJesus, James Loney) through waivers. Do the Giants and/or the Nats claim DeJesus (or someone else) to muck up the deal?

104. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:24 AM

3 of last 6 games we haven't have the batters show up.This is even worse than some of the April batting.

105. Fear and Ignorance - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:26 AM

The Revenge of the Werth-scary movie!!!

106. Secret wasian man - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:27 AM

I'm throwing in the towell. Better get some runs tommorrow. This is really boring stuff.

107. JaneB - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:27 AM

We need the Giants to come out guns a'blazing, especially if we aren't hitting. Yikes. The good news is Bryce is doing better.

108. sjm308 - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:27 AM

I don't usually post during games but Sunshine Bob has driven me back to the radio once again. His homerun call on Mayberry that did not even get to the warning track was bad enough, but then saying there is still lots of time as we head into the 7th inning is just silly. They need 9 outs and Kendrick has been in command the entire game. What game is he watching? Hoping Charlie & Dave will bring me/us luck. I will post again in the post game. Just hope the Legion of Doom doesn't rise up to the point of overpowering Swift, Michelle and others.By the way, with all the small bones in the hand and what is probably obvious swelling, I am guessing they will wait and also probably have a hand expert look at Morse before releasing anything.Go Nats

109. mick - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:28 AM

with or with out Morse, this lack of hitting is a concern.

110. sjm308 - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Mick – what don't you believe? 69 is just a number.He has had a great career where ever he coached.

111. mick - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:30 AM

The Nats were off last night, only travel is up I-95, so why we look tired is a mystery.

112. Secret wasian man - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:30 AM

One more thought. Suzuki is pathetic. Mayne hes hurtBring on flores

113. MicheleS - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Gee it's 3 to 2.. HMM Legion of Doom needs to slow down a bit!

114. NatsLady - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Tyler Moore. FP called it! Manual left Kendrick in "one hitter too long."

115. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Guys hit like Tyler Moore

116. mick - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:34 AM

hey coach… I have known Bobby over 30 years, and its just hard to believe how time has gone by so fast… you bet he is one hell of a coach, from Little Flower, Dematha, Whitman, Springbrook, Sherwood and GC!

117. NatsLady - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Carp, listen, it's not a "brand new game" until it's TIED.

118. mick - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:35 AM

how bout Tyler, that is how you step up!!!

119. djinFl. - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:36 AM

So we ended a 21 inning shutout strech. Where is the love for that, 2 other teams never scored.

120. mick - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:38 AM

why so much anti Carp here???

121. djinFl. - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Heck Mick why so much anti at all here tonight.We are still in first, much further along than any foresaw. Lighten up and enjoyfolks.

122. MicheleS - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:42 AM

I am really liking Ryan Matheus.

123. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:43 AM

djinFL,But it's still okay to be anti-Braves, right?

124. NatsLady - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Nice job, Ryan Mattheus!!! Now, let's get this game tied, and then let's WIN it!

125. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Addendum Bob Carpenter Drinking Game:Take a drink every time he says "serious jammage."Take another drink every time he says it's a "brand new ballgame" when the score is actually 3-2.To be continued…

126. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Mike final good job. now more runs please

127. djinFl. - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:46 AM

That is always a good anti Eugene.And Mick, I here there was a serious round of golf before they left town.

128. mick - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:47 AM

agreed DJ!

129. sjm308 - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:49 AM

There is so much to like here. Espinosa moves seamlessly over to short, Jackson not great but 3 runs in 6 innings is not horrible. We are into their bullpen and we will be in first place by at least 5.5 games no matter what happens. I need Dave & Charlie to keep this going for me.Mick, I just can't take Carp and actually feel the same way about the guy for the Orioles – I think his name is Jim Hunter. They are just so over the top for the home team and I really don't think Sunshine Bob is all that knowledgeable. Too many cliches and very poor reads on most balls into the outfield. No problems with people enjoying his call of the game, its just not for me.Go Nats!! one more run (for now) please.

130. sjm308 - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:51 AM

I vote Bastardo as one of the best names in baseball. If he was not a philly I would ask Sec. 3 my sofa to incorporate it into one of his many alias'

131. NatsLady - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:56 AM

I love Manual brings Lindblom in just to pitch to RZ and he walks him. What's he gonna to if it goes to extras?

132. sjm308 - Aug 25, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Charlie is just a good ole West Virginia boy! Not sure how many more seasons they will put up with him if they keep losing. He used 5 relievers yesterday so this will catch up to them soon unless his next two starters go deep. Mick, hard to believe but Charlie is younger then Miloy (and Davey).

133. mick - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:04 AM

coach, ha ha lol

134. NatsLady - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Cholly must really figure Papelbon is going to get a save if he is using 4 relievers in the 8th inning… Jayson, make him PAY!!!

135. mick - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:05 AM

your right DJ, I forgot about the golf

136. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Don't leave these runner. At least Harper K on a strike LaRache swung at 1 8 inches outside

137. mick - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:06 AM

that Bastardo lol

138. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:06 AM

NatsLady: Well, they traded Wilson Valdez, so there went that option.

139. mick - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Adam is not seeing the ball at all

140. ehay2k - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Cholly is channelling Riggleman with all these pitching changes and double switches!

141. mick - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:08 AM

what a time not to hit

142. Fear and Ignorance - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Good job Charles Manson!!!

143. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Werth then follows with a K on a ball way inside. this hitting much more like April then July and early August

144. mick - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:10 AM

F and I…. OMG ha ha

145. mick - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:11 AM

all I care about is Morse, if he is OK, I don't care if Nats lose 12-2 tonight

146. JaneB - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Argh. Argh. Argh. And after a good Shark hit, too. Though I am stepping closer to mick's camp: as long as Michael is okay…though the Giants REALLY need to win tonight. Argh.

147. mick - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:13 AM

F and I Gonzo looks like Mr Stratch in the old 1941 movie classic. The Devil and Daniel Webster, lol

148. ehay2k - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Johnny Holiday is sick?

149. mick - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:14 AM

come on Mr Stratch… its Friday…

150. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:15 AM

As good as gonzo was in 7th he has been that bad in the 8th

151. ehay2k - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Big run by Utley, that little chisler!

152. mick - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Jane B I don't care if Giants win tonight either, just tell em Morse will be back in a few days and I am happy

153. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:18 AM

We work like help in the top oh 8th and score 0. first pitch they swing at they single for a run. frudtrating

154. Fear and Ignorance - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Mick-I'll have to look that one up…little before my time, as I am still in my early 30's…lol. Definitely a big movie buff, so will have to put that one on Netflix.

155. mick - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:21 AM

156. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Braves scored already

157. mick - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:21 AM

F and I I think you would like it, black and white 1941 and you will see Gonzo, lol

158. mick - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:24 AM

F and I the Manson post cracks me up because I think Jayson looks more like Jesus, although Manson claimed he was Jesus too, lol

159. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Drew Sore looks great again. Wish hitters would look great.

160. mick - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Drew looks sharp, that is a good thing from tonight as well as Tyler's HR and Shark playing well

161. Fear and Ignorance - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Mick-Well, I have seen him kill quite a few rallies, but never seen him walk on water. Lol!!!

162. ehay2k - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Ugh! Not smart.

163. Fear and Ignorance - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:31 AM

THAT was the dumbest baseball play I have seen all year. Unbelievable. Who does that???

164. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:32 AM

What the help was Espi doing. in landfills court a major fine

165. Drew - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Why is he stealing when Tracy is the tying run?

166. ehay2k - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:34 AM

I would give the Nats a C- tonight. Just not sharp at all. Golf hangover, perhaps? They do seem to have poor outings after social events.

167. Secret wasian man - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Another hapless effort. Where is the heart?

168. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Swing at balls 3 of 4 k in last to were swings at balls. That habit must go away again. Not sure why it reappeared. losing 1 angers me, but two reply make me mad. Gio must perform tomorrow

169. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 25, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Batters after Harper really hurt us. he is on second with 1 out and later 0 outs