Aug 24, 2012, 11:14 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Chad Tracy is hitting .320 with 10 RBI as a pinch-hitter.
PHILADELPHIA — Chad Tracy might not have made the Nationals’ Opening Day roster if not for an injury suffered by Rick Ankiel late in spring training. Little did the veteran bench player or the club know how indispensable he would become.
How indispensable? Enough to convince the Nationals to sign Tracy to a contract extension for next season right now. The two sides hashed out details over the last week and agreed to a deal before tonight’s series opener against the Phillies.
“You’re on a first-place team, 30 games over .500, and they’re offering you an extension,” Tracy said. “There’s really not a whole lot better than that.”
Terms of the contract aren’t immediately known, but the 32-year-old is expected to receive a modest raise over his $750,000 salary for 2012.
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Phillies, 7:15 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Phillies, 1:35 p.m.
MON: All-Star break
TUE: All-Star Game at Minneapolis, 8 p.m.
WED: All-Star break
THU: All-Star break
FRI: Brewers at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg faces Hamels in pitching showdown
- Nats have zero All-Stars after Zimmermann replaced
- Harper homers but still battling out of slump
- Nats lose Zimmermann, fall to Phillies 6-2
- Zimmermann hopeful biceps cramp isn't serious
- Ian Desmond out but expects to return Saturday
- The Baseball Show: Analyzing the Nationals' first half
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - CSNbaltimore's Rich Dubroff
- X-rays negative on Desmond's hand after shortstop left game
- Nats, Orioles see promise in Beltway Series ahead of Aug. 4 rematch