Aug 25, 2012, 2:34 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Edwin Jackson allowed three runs over six innings.
Game in a nutshell: The Phillies don't have much left to play for except pride, but they showed plenty of that in the opener of this three-game series before a crowd of 42,096 that barely made a peep all night. Veterans Chase Utley and Jimmy Rollins drove in three early runs off Edwin Jackson, putting the Nationals in a 3-0 hole. They couldn't make a dent into Kyle Kendrick for most of the evening until Tyler Moore came off the bench in the seventh to drill a two-run homer and knock the right-hander from the game. The Nationals had chances to push across the tying run against a smorgasbord of Philadelphia relievers but couldn't deliver the big hit when they needed it. Perhaps it would have been a different story had they not lost cleanup hitter Michael Morse to a right hand injury (he was struck by a Kendrick fastball in the top of the first) that looked serious but was initially diagnosed as only a contusion.
Hitting lowlight: Remember when Adam LaRoche couldn't beRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season
- Desmond leads way with 4 RBI in Nationals' 8th straight win
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?