Aug 25, 2012, 3:26 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Michael Morse left tonight's game after getting hit in the right hand.
Updated at 11:26 p.m.
PHILADELPHIA — The Nationals were breathing a sigh of relief following tonight's series finale against the Phillies after X-rays taken of Michael Morse's right hand came back negative, and the cleanup hitter was diagnosed with only a bad bruise after getting hit by a pitch in the first inning.
Morse was in serious pain after taking Kyle Kendrick's changeup off the outside of his right hand, dropping to a knee and grimacing as trainer Mike McGowan took off his batting glove and examined him.
"Any time you get hit in the hands, it's kind of nerve-wracking," he said. "But, you know, X-rays came out negative and stuff, so I should be all right."
Though they were relieved to know their No. 4 hitter isn't seriously injured, the Nationals don't expect Morse back in the lineup for at least a day or two. He hadn't tried to grip a bat yet shortly after the gameRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann, Nationals go fishing in Miami
- State of the Nats: Deal or no deal before the MLB trade deadline?
- Consistency propels Nationals to NL's best record
- Nationals hang on to beat Reds 4-2
- Instant analysis: Reds 1, Nationals 0
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?