Aug 26, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals try to avoid a sweep today at Citizens Bank Park.
PHILADELPHIA — Good morning from the City of Brotherly Love, where the Nationals today need a victory to avoid a series sweep at the hands of the Phillies. They talked last night about their ability to avoid long losing streaks all season, citing the depth of their rotation as a major reason why they don't worry about falling into a prolonged funk.
So the pressure's on Jordan Zimmermann today to come up big as he has so many times already this season. The right-hander is coming off perhaps his worst start of the year (lasting only five innings against the Braves) so perhaps he'll have a little extra incentive when he takes the mound this afternoon.
Cliff Lee, always a challenge, starts for the Phillies, and he'll once again be facing a lineup without Michael Morse or Ian Desmond. Morse tested out his bruised right hand this morning, playing some light catch for the first time since getting hit by a pitch Friday night. He looked awfully tentative doing it. Desmond continues to rest a mild hamstring strain.
Lots of updates to come live from the ballpark, so please check back…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, Ch. 50, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 189
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 81 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to LF
SS Danny Espinosa
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
RF Jayson Werth
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent
- Braves hire new hitting coach away from Blue Jays