Aug 26, 2012, 8:20 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jordan Zimmermann watches Jimmy Rollins round the bases on a fifth-inning homer.
Game in a nutshell: Needing to come up big to avoid only their fourth series sweep of the season, the Nationals instead dropped their fourth straight game, this one in unusual fashion. Jordan Zimmermann, who has cruised all afternoon, gave up three runs in the fifth on a double by pitcher Cliff Lee and a subsequent homer by Jimmy Rollins. Laynce Nix then homered off Tom Gorzelanny in the sixth. The Nationals tried to mount a rally, but Adam LaRoche's apparent two-run homer in the seventh was correctly ruled a double, leading to a bizarre play in which LaRoche was tagged out. The lineup then went silent against the Phillies bullpen, resulting in a stunning series sweep at Citizens Bank Park. The Nationals' lead in the NL East (which stood at 7 on Wednesday) is now down to 5 with the Braves still playing tonight in San Francisco.
Hitting lowlight: Stifled all afternoon by Lee, the Nationals finally appeared to deliver a big blow against the veteran left-hander whenRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Taylor ends it in the 10th with a walk-off 3-run HR
- Barrett has Tommy John surgery, out 12 months
- Taylor has MRI on bruised knee, expects to be back soon
- Roark on the mound as Nats look to continue dominance of Braves
- MLB Power Rankings: Braves sink to the bottom
- Blowout sets Zimmermann up nicely to face Mets
- Bryce Harper makes history without one swing
- Nats knock Braves out of the park in 15-1 pummeling
- Harper returns to Nats lineup, Taylor still hurting
- Strasburg will return next week to face Mets