Aug 26, 2012, 8:20 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jordan Zimmermann watches Jimmy Rollins round the bases on a fifth-inning homer.
Game in a nutshell: Needing to come up big to avoid only their fourth series sweep of the season, the Nationals instead dropped their fourth straight game, this one in unusual fashion. Jordan Zimmermann, who has cruised all afternoon, gave up three runs in the fifth on a double by pitcher Cliff Lee and a subsequent homer by Jimmy Rollins. Laynce Nix then homered off Tom Gorzelanny in the sixth. The Nationals tried to mount a rally, but Adam LaRoche's apparent two-run homer in the seventh was correctly ruled a double, leading to a bizarre play in which LaRoche was tagged out. The lineup then went silent against the Phillies bullpen, resulting in a stunning series sweep at Citizens Bank Park. The Nationals' lead in the NL East (which stood at 7 on Wednesday) is now down to 5 with the Braves still playing tonight in San Francisco.
Hitting lowlight: Stifled all afternoon by Lee, the Nationals finally appeared to deliver a big blow against the veteran left-hander whenRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September