Aug 26, 2012, 4:07 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Gio Gonzalez reacts to serving up John Mayberry’s go-ahead homer in the sixth.
PHILADELPHIA — It may be difficult to remember these things, but the Nationals actually have endured through several losing streaks this season. Indeed, they’ve experienced five streaks of at least three losses in 2012, and even once lost five straight games.
And how did they respond to each mini-slump? By winning four in a row, three in a row, nine of 11, three of four and six in a row.
Suffice it to say, nobody inside the Nationals’ clubhouse following Saturday night’s 4-2 loss to the Phillies — their third straight — was ready to jump off the Ben Franklin Bridge.
“Three! Ugh, we’re ready to quit,” Ryan Zimmerman said with tongue firmly planted in cheek. “Everything’s going to go into shambles.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return