Game 131: Cardinals at Nats

Aug 31, 2012, 7:33 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Gio Gonzalez again seeks his 17th win tonight at Nationals Park.

A couple of significant accomplishments could take place tonight … if the Nationals can beat the Cardinals. On an individual level, Gio Gonzalez could earn his 17th win of the season, matching Cincinnati's Johnny Cueto for the MLB lead.

On a team level, the Nationals could notch win No. 80 tonight. That would match last year's total, fall just one shy of the club record (set in the inaugural 2005 season) and just two shy of the first winning record by a D.C. ballclub since 1969.

But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves and look past tonight's game, which features a star-studded pitching matchup between Gonzalez and Adam Wainwright. Davey Johnson goes with his regular lineup, the only change from last night behind the plate (Kurt Suzuki starts).

Plenty of updates to come, so please check back…

ST. LOUIS CARDINALS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Clear, 90 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to RF

RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

1. Section 222 - Aug 31, 2012 at 7:42 PM

My barbershop group helped gather the patients before an appearance by Nats players and Screech at the National Rehabilitation Hospital today. Clipp, Storen, and Desi showed up, looking relaxed and happy. No media around as far as I could tell, just players giving back to the community. The first gathering was a fairy small group of children. Many had Nats jerseys on and they had put up drawings and stickers all over. Several of the drawings said "Natinals". Somehow when it's in a kids handwriting, it doesn't seem bad at all.

2. MicheleS - Aug 31, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I really recommend that everyone read this from Kilgore. John has been a trooper and this year has been tough on him. Hopefully tomorrow we can say welcome back to the show.John LannEn

3. MicheleS - Aug 31, 2012 at 7:51 PM

4. sjm308 - Aug 31, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Thanks MicheleS – really good article and I hope he continues his success with us the rest of the season. I realize a couple of posters here have some issues with Kilgore's writing but I think we are lucky to have so many good people following our team. Amanda, Mark and Adam really seem to "get it" and the blogs on the left of the Insider are also terrific reading at times. I especially like National Prospects and you should see how Peric behaves himself over there.OK, off to the park early today – Looking to keep wearing my new red Curly W for a 4th day tomorrow!Go Nats!! Score First!! Go Playoffs!!

5. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 31, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Sec222, thanks for sharing

6. Another_Sam - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:10 PM

My erudite remarks, thoughtfully composed and carefully typed, didn't get posted last night, even though I pressed the PUBLISH button. I use a Google account. Did anyone else have this problem? [I'm presuming, of course, that this comment gets posted.]

7. Another_Sam - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:12 PM

[Looks like it's working now.]Michele — did I read another thread correctly, that you're on pace to attend approximately half of the home games? That's amazing.

8. MicheleS - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Another Sam.. i can see you!Well, I have had problems when I try to post from a phone, but not last night.

9. MicheleS - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Sam, yup, it's insane, but my boss thinks its great that I like baseball so I am always getting invited to the company seats.

10. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:31 PM

11. SonnyG10 - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Nice post, 222.

12. SonnyG10 - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Hmmmm, I wonder if the bone chips contributed to his control problems. Thanks for the info Ghost.

13. Gonat - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:39 PM

SteveM, you called it on Eury Perez a while ago. He will be called up tomorrow with Lannan, Sandy Leon and Mark DeRosa.Corey Brown will have to wait for the AAA season to end.

14. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Sonny, probably didn't help his control and his velo started to drop a few MPH but doubtful that it was his problem in April and May.Could still be ready for Winter Ball.

15. MicheleS - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Henry had BONE chips removed! Well that explains alot

16. Gonat - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:45 PM

MicheleS said… Xavier Nady is getting called up by the Giants. Anyone know what happened to Ankiel? August 31, 2012 3:51 PM _____________________________Ankiel is still getting paid by Ted Lerner and is sitting at home still waiting for the phone to ring.Personally I would take Ankiel over Nady. All a team would have to pay on either player is the prorated portion of the league minimum and Nats still pick up the remainder.

17. Gonat - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… HenRod won't be back this year after a bone chip was removed. If roster spot is needed, could be moved to 60 Day DL August 31, 2012 4:31 PM ________________________________Couldn't they move him to the 60 Day DL to move Zach Duke to the 40 man and call him up?

18. Gonat - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:49 PM

19. NatsLady - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:53 PM

It's not clear Ankiel could pass another team's physical. As mentioned, Rizzo offered him the DL for an injury that he actually HAS, and he declined. He may be waiting for that call and to heal.

20. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I disagree NatsLady. Ankiel didn't feel his ailment warranted a DL stint and thought he would be picked up.

21. Gonat - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:58 PM

“I’m watching how Gio [Gonzalez] or [Ross] Detwiler is pitching these hitters,” Michael Gonzalez said. “And that’s what these guys are doing. This guy swung at this pitch and this guy swings at this pitch.”_____________________________________Nice to read our lefty is into the game.

22. A DC Wonk - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Bone chips removed from where?

23. Gonat - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Wonk, his pitching elbow.

24. NatsLady - Aug 31, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Brian McNally ‏@bmcnally14One more: Rodriguez elbow pain colors his season, Davey Johnson admits. Hid extent of pain. Dominant in March and April. Bad afterwards

25. NatsLady - Aug 31, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Ghost, I think it's another example of players maybe not properly evaluating their own medical situation. Why wouldn't he be picked up over Xavier Nady if both are healthy?

26. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 31, 2012 at 9:16 PM

NatsLady, it's a head scratcher to me. I would take Ankiel on expanded roster just for late inning defense. Best OF arm in baseball.

27. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 31, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Gonat at 4:49, it is a may or may not. We will see in Sprung Training.

28. SonnyG10 - Aug 31, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Gonat said… MicheleS said… Henry had BONE chips removed! Well that explains alot August 31, 2012 4:43 PM ______________________________It may not explain anything. Many pitchers pitch through bone chips as it is painful and doesn't affect their accuracy or velocity. August 31, 2012 4:49 PM You may be right gonat, but if it were me, I might be thinking more about the pain than my release point during my follow through. Guess it depends on Hrod's pain tolerance.

29. Ron In Reston - Aug 31, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Ok, I just some fun…Went back and looked at posts from the days leading up to Opening Day to see what all the brilliant folks in here (myself included) predicted for this season.Wow. Following the post of the media predictions (Mark, Kilgore, Comak, et al) there were some incredible rants about "Desi in the All-Star Game?? Are you serious??" and Jayson Werth hitting .290?? (This was Ladson's prediction….he's currently hitting .305)Some real beauties like "Lidge will turn out to be Rizzo's best pickup" (oops) "Harper will have little to no impact this year" (yeah, right)Most had the team in the mid-80s for wins, hoping to make maybe the second wildcard. One poster nailed it though, saying the Phils would collapse and "the real dogfight will be between the Nats and the Braves". I had predicted 88-74 and with 32 games to go, I could not be more thrilled to be wrong.I didn't bother to look at predictions for Morse and Storen, none of us knew what was really going on there, in fact Mark's post had Morse going on rehab and joining the team two weeks into the season.What a fun season this has been and will continue to be

30. Ron In Reston - Aug 31, 2012 at 9:41 PM

*had* some fun….sheesh

31. natsfan1a - Aug 31, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Thanks for the story link, Michele. Also, your boss sounds like a swell person who might be interested in knowing that I really like baseball, too. What? :-)Looking forward to watching Gio and the guys on tv tonight. Gotta go grab some dinner now.

32. Theophilus T. S. - Aug 31, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Good news that Henry Rodriguez won't be pitching again this year. Bad news: now nobody will trade for him. Don't think his bone chips (they were in his elbow? Not his head?) had anything to do w/ his performance in the majors. I'm not saying anything about the minors. But he was chuckin' to the backstop when he was supposedly "hot."

33. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 31, 2012 at 10:24 PM

In my seat in section 314

34. Laddie Blah Blah - Aug 31, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Sorry if this was posted earlier, I've been out all day. Call ups announced:http://districtsportspage.com/washington-nationals-to-recall-lannan-others-for-september/10115Looks like NatsJack may have been right about Garcia. DeRo is a complete mystery. He adds absolutely nothing to either the offense or defense. They could have brought up Rivero, instead. At least he can hit.Brown, Lannan, Leon, and Perez also to come up.

35. sm13 - Aug 31, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Big numbers for Gio (17) and the club (80) on the line tonight. More big milestones in this magical season. GO GIO, GO NATS!

36. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 31, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Regarding Henry Rodriguez: Whether the bone chips contributed to his meltdown or not, let's all hope that the surgery and rehab process allows him to make a fresh start in either winter ball or at Spring Training. If the problems were physical, let's hope they get fixed and he comes back as a 100-MPH pitcher with better (he'll never have perfect) control. And even if the problems were more mental than physical, then the surgery/rehab could still give him the opportunity to do a complete mental/physical reset and resume his career. Because I, at least, still remember that incredible inning he threw against Atlanta last September and would love to see a return of that particular Mr. Rodriguez in 2013.

37. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 31, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Oh, and by the way: Keep the pressure on the Cardinals — offensively and defensively — and don't let up.

38. Sec.3, My Sofa - Aug 31, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Some real beauties like "Lidge will turn out to be Rizzo's best pickup" (oops) "Harper will have little to no impact this year" (yeah, right) I also had Ramos in the All-Star game. Cue the Sombrero.

39. Old Wino - Aug 31, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Ummm, did someone say let's go Nats!

40. Theophilus T. S. - Aug 31, 2012 at 10:44 PM

"Because I … still remember that incredible inning … against Atlanta … and would love to see a return of that particular Mr. Rodriguez in 2013." That, my friend, is why you have a DVR: you can see it there, and only there, any time.

41. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 31, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Play ball

42. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 31, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Theo: Maybe you're right, but the optimist in me still hopes that that particular MPHRod can — and will someday — return.

43. DWS - Aug 31, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Play ball and hope for the best. Yes the Nats are going to shut down (arguably)their best pitcher. Deal with it.The bonus is if they advance in the play offs without SS how scary are they going to be next year?

44. DWS - Aug 31, 2012 at 11:05 PM

GYFNG!

45. MicheleS - Aug 31, 2012 at 11:06 PM

GYFNG!! NatsLady. I have a medium for you

46. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 31, 2012 at 11:22 PM

2 steaks for LaR

47. Section 222 - Aug 31, 2012 at 11:23 PM

I'm in sec 110 tonight and actually seem to have cell coverage. Great to be back at Nats Park although it is pretty freakin' hot (PFH). The T shirt tonight is sponsored by American Univ. and says "Nats Wonk". I sure hope DC Wonk is here and got one. Great 1st inning. Way to score first and put the pressure on.

48. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 31, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Yadier Molina cant squeeze the foul tip 3rd strike which leads to a 2 run single.

49. Joe Seamhead - Aug 31, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Werth starts it, Harp keeps itmoving along, Zimm pushes them forward,ALR drives them in. Good start.

50. Old Wino - Aug 31, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Despinosa.

51. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 31, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Keep up the pressure.

52. Drew - Aug 31, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Good way to start. Two runs and they used up a quarter of Wainwright's pitches in the first inning.

53. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 31, 2012 at 11:49 PM

The wall taketh from Werth but nice double. Who was complaining the guy has no.power?

54. Sec.3, My Sofa - Aug 31, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Ghost, that one, at least, wasn't me.

55. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Desi deadly with man on 3rd while punishing the 5.5 hole!!!!

56. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Zofa, it wasn't you!

57. Section 222 - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Nats are all business tonight. Timely hitting. Good D. Looking like a playoff caliber team all right.

58. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Making Wainwright work!

59. djinFl. - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:04 AM

And Pilly leads Atl 1-0 in their third.

60. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Pressure. Keep the pressure on. Keep pressing. Keep hitting. Keep scoring.

61. Sec.3, My Sofa - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Making him work? What's he at, 90 pitches? Must feel like it.

62. Sec.3, My Sofa - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Harper seeing the ball well. Fortunately, so is Blue.

63. djinFl. - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Great quote on twitterAmanda Comak‏@acomak Adam Wainwright is dying a slow death in the third inning

64. Cwj - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Wow! The Nats just KOd Wainwright!

65. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Dying? Dead.

66. Section 222 - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Well, I was going to say something about Wainwright's pitch count being up. But we've already knocked him out of the game. Nice work.

67. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Wainwright the last month regained his pre-TommyJohn form but the Nats obliterated him. He pitched a games worth of pitches in 2 2/3.

68. Cwj - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Ohhhhhh!Zim JUST missed a grand slam!!!!!!!! So close!Oh well, awesome inning :)Go Nats!

69. Drew - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:21 AM

What great offensive execution. Zim lines a double, LaRoche walks, Morse's long fly advances Zim and Desmond's knock brings him in.Espinosa takes up nine pitches and lines an RBI single. Suzuki joins the party, then Gio lays down a nifty bunt, advancing Espinosa.Werth's knock scores Espinosa, Harper walks and Zim nearly goes salami. Wow, what a team!

70. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:27 AM

No free passes

71. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:27 AM

This is where Gio can tear your heart out. Two walks and then rolls over the doubleplay.

72. NatsFanChris - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Hahahah. I lol-ed at Mark's "Sweet Fancy Moses" line. Regardless of how this game and series end, you cant ask for a much better way to rebound from a 5-game skid.

73. Drew - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Nice comeback, Gio!As FDR once said so stirringly:The only thing we have to fear is … a 9-0 lead.

74. Steady Eddie - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Ghost, normally I'd agree re Gio, but uou've got to cut him some slack as he must have been sitting a good half hour and had to reestablish his rhythm. He's not nibbling tonight.

75. JaneB - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:52 AM

We watched the Cards- Rangers Game 6 DVD this afternoon. It was fun to see EJax on the rail in the dugout the way he is for us, and joking with Carpenter. Then I began to notice that the Rangers were really game face in their dugout (Improper phrasing but I hope you know what I mean). They were serious and stoic (except for Elvis) and hanging on, even when they were ahead and only 1 strike away from winning. The Cards were laughing and watching and celebrating all the good stuff. Not scared. Made me realize that Davey's meeting, when he got them to laugh and relax, was genius. I love that the crowd is screaming for Gio!

76. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:53 AM

No Eddie….. can't cut him any slack. He and Edwin are the veterans and there ia no excuse to not be able to throw strikes with a 6 run lead.

77. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Pressure, pressure, pressure. Keep it up.

78. JaneB - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:01 AM

The Kid is definitely back!

79. Swift Eagle - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Hope you took the Over again tonight Eugene…

80. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Not (much of) a betting man; just not keen on close games.

81. sm13 - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Gio is in full control tonight — he's poised, relaxed, not over-throwing. He looks like a legit Cy Young candidate out there, which he is with a great shot at 20+ wins. Gi-O!

82. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Phillies-Braves now at 4-4.

83. Drew - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Looks like the Kid wants to reopen the NL ROY debate.Harper is a gem at 19. Rendon and Goodwin are learning in a challenging AA league. Meyer looked great.Matt Skole was just named MVP of the Sally League. Giolito will be back at 18 years old.The young talent is really exciting.P.S. He gets no fanfare, but keep an eye on OF Brandon Miller. The Nats picked him in the fourth round of this year's draft out of Samford, where he led Division I in home runs as a senior. In his first 25 games at Auburn he has 4 homers, 3 triples and an OPS over .900.Wouldn't it be great if Rizzo's men found a Baby Hammer?

84. Drew - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Dr. Yocum did Giolito's TJ surgery today.Good luck, young man!

85. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Re Matt Skole (sort of): I saw his brother (Jake?) play the other night; he was a first-round draft choice by the Rangers a couple of years ago. He's younger than Matt by a year or two, but didn't go to college so he started pro ball earlier. He apparently was demoted from full-season A ball to short-season A (I guess that counts as a demotion). Big, rangy, third baseman. Didn't get a hit, but hit a couple with authority.

86. ehay2k - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:29 AM

I said the other day that against the Philthies, we were playing BAD baseball. Last three games – good, NATS baseball. Everyone looks crisp, no one pressing. Personally, I credit the Davey factor.Not that there's no room for improvement – Morse needs to find his groove, and his thumb needs to heal. Desi still needs to get his swing/timing back as well. Other than that, I'm OK with how they are playing.

87. Sec.3, My Sofa - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Looks like Davey is starting to get them stretched out for October.

88. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:34 AM

All you negative nabobs are now seeing the true Nats….

89. ehay2k - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Both Reese and Molina just walk back to dugout after strikeouts at dirt pitches. Loser mentality? I love me some Lombo, but Espi's arm at 2b is a weapon for DPs.

90. djinFl. - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Pretty good crowd, 29,499 tonight.The NFL quit opening the season over the Labor Day holiday due to lousy crowds.Great game Gio!

91. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:40 AM

This is fun.

92. peric - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:41 AM

He gets no fanfare, but keep an eye on OF Brandon Miller. The Nats picked him in the fourth round of this year's draft out of Samford, where he led Division I in home runs as a senior.He doesn't bat left-handed so he isn't as interesting as Skole who could end up at first base for that reason. Right now they have Keyes plus Destin Hood. Outfield looks rather full and he's a college player in Auburn he still has to prove it translates to Hagerstown and Potomac.

93. djinFl. - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Pity Werth never gets on.

94. djinFl. - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Nats Rally Napkin‏@RallyNapkin Been Dazed & Confused for so long it's not true…Wanted a Napkin, never bargained for you… Retweeted by F.P. Santangelo

95. ehay2k - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:49 AM

I looked at all the stat sites, but there is is just no way to correlate Werth's OBP to the trimness of his beard.

96. Swift Eagle - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Slaughter rule…

97. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Okay, enough with the pressure. Save some runs for the weekend.

98. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Or send some runs to the Phillies.

99. MicheleS - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:53 AM

OMG HOW FUN IS THIS!!!!!

100. ehay2k - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Swift – the Cards waived the slaughter rule. They want to keep playing against a better team in order to build their skills.

101. ehay2k - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:56 AM

I do wish Morse would get a breather and TMo would come in. Those inside pitches cannot feel good on the hands/thumbs.

102. sm13 - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:57 AM

After sweating through the squeakers of April and May, how fun it is this to watch??

103. ehay2k - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Sm13, I'm still sweating for Gio to get the shutout!

104. Swift Eagle - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Haha Ehay…we'll give the Cards some orange slices and a trip to 7-1 for Slurpee's either way…

105. Swift Eagle - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:05 AM

BOOM

106. ehay2k - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Gio seems like a good pickup, to me anyway.

107. sm13 - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:06 AM

GI-O!!!

108. Swift Eagle - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Haven't seen anyone posting Tom Millone and D. Norris stats lately…guess Rizzo actually did make a good trade

109. ehay2k - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Swift – LMAO at the orange slices reference!

110. peric - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Haven't seen anyone posting Tom Millone and D. Norris stats lately…Milone is doing far more than any A;s fan expected. He has to be considered the defacto ace of the staff dude! Doh! And Norris is a an OBP machine but doubtless they will miss Suzuki's defense because that was never Norris' strongest suit.The trade benefited both sides. Mostly Oakland will benefit in the near future. But a power pitching left-hander like Gio is worth the additional cost. Particularly with both Solis and Purke with injury issues and Rosenbaum more of a control / pitch-to-contact pitcher like Lannan. They really don't have anyone else with that kind of upside that looks as ready as Gio except Detwiler who appears to finally be coming around.

111. Michael J. Hayde - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:19 AM

"8:18 p.m. — Sweet Fancy Moses, what a beatdown the Nationals of Wainwright tonight."Sounds like somebody's really into RIP HAYWIRE.

112. natsfan1a - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:23 AM

natsfan1a said… That was awesome! As they showed fan's cheering Gio as he headed back to the dugout after the 8th, he was so focused and serious, I said "He doesn't think he's done yet. He's going back out again in the 9th unless somebody physically restrains him." Loved the smiley face on the up-ended Gatorade bucket during the postgame interview. Perfect for Gio. :-)