Aug 31, 2012, 4:40 AM EST
Associated Press photo
Edwin Jackson didn’t allow an earned run over eight dominant innings.
As the rest of the sporting world worries about Stephen Strasburg’s impending shutdown and the supposedly crushing effect it will have on the Nationals’ championship aspirations, other members of the majors’ best rotation simply take the mound and do their part to carry this team to new heights.
The national discussion about the Nationals’ rotation has been focused on Strasburg, with perhaps a little bit of love sprinkled in for Jordan Zimmermann and Gio Gonzalez. All the while, Edwin Jackson has quietly gone about his business, churning out innings and getting stronger and more effective as the regular season reaches its final month.
“People keep talking about Stras. You know, Edwin Jackson is a heck of a pitcher,” Jayson Werth said following Thursday night’s 8-1 triumph over the Cardinals. “He’s a big-game pitcher. He won big games last year, late in the year, in the postseason. Take Stras out and put Edwin in. I like it.”
What’s not to like? With eight dominant innings Thursday night against the NL’s most productive lineup, Jackson continued his late-August surge and carried the Nationals to a rousing victory in the opener of an 11-game homestand.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland