Aug 31, 2012, 4:40 AM EST
Associated Press photo
Edwin Jackson didn’t allow an earned run over eight dominant innings.
As the rest of the sporting world worries about Stephen Strasburg’s impending shutdown and the supposedly crushing effect it will have on the Nationals’ championship aspirations, other members of the majors’ best rotation simply take the mound and do their part to carry this team to new heights.
The national discussion about the Nationals’ rotation has been focused on Strasburg, with perhaps a little bit of love sprinkled in for Jordan Zimmermann and Gio Gonzalez. All the while, Edwin Jackson has quietly gone about his business, churning out innings and getting stronger and more effective as the regular season reaches its final month.
“People keep talking about Stras. You know, Edwin Jackson is a heck of a pitcher,” Jayson Werth said following Thursday night’s 8-1 triumph over the Cardinals. “He’s a big-game pitcher. He won big games last year, late in the year, in the postseason. Take Stras out and put Edwin in. I like it.”
What’s not to like? With eight dominant innings Thursday night against the NL’s most productive lineup, Jackson continued his late-August surge and carried the Nationals to a rousing victory in the opener of an 11-game homestand.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Victor Robles
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Erick Fedde
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner