Aug 31, 2012, 11:36 PM EDT
Manager Davey Johnson said the club will recall left-hander John Lannan, catcher Sandy Leon and outfielder Eury Perez from Class AAA Syracuse. Veteran utilityman Mark DeRosa also will be activated off the disabled list after missing the last month with an abdominal strain.
The Nationals plan more reinforcements next week, after Syracuse’s season ends on Monday. Johnson hinted that outfielder Corey Brown and reliever Christian Garcia will join the big-league roster at that point.
Of the September call-ups, Lannan figures to have the greatest impact. The left-hander was kept at Class AAA the entire season (aside from two spot starts during doubleheaders) specifically to take over the rotation spot that will become vacant when Stephen Strasburg is shut down.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Storen returns to mound after 2-week absence
- Phillies' All-Star likely to begin season on disabled list
- Report: AL Central team interested in former Nats closer Soriano
- Zimmermann contract talks "not looking good"
- Another Nats injury: Zimmerman banged up on diving play at first
- Former Nats All-Star wins closer job with Oakland Athletics
- Harper back in lineup as Nats face Cards
- Nats make 6 cuts as roster begins to take shape
- Forbes: Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer