Aug 31, 2012, 11:36 PM EST
Manager Davey Johnson said the club will recall left-hander John Lannan, catcher Sandy Leon and outfielder Eury Perez from Class AAA Syracuse. Veteran utilityman Mark DeRosa also will be activated off the disabled list after missing the last month with an abdominal strain.
The Nationals plan more reinforcements next week, after Syracuse’s season ends on Monday. Johnson hinted that outfielder Corey Brown and reliever Christian Garcia will join the big-league roster at that point.
Of the September call-ups, Lannan figures to have the greatest impact. The left-hander was kept at Class AAA the entire season (aside from two spot starts during doubleheaders) specifically to take over the rotation spot that will become vacant when Stephen Strasburg is shut down.
ON THE RADIO
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats 1B Adam LaRoche to join USO Holiday Tour
- Carlos Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Nationals sign outfielder McLouth to 2-year deal
- Phillies looking to trade CL Jonathan Papelbon
- Mariners sign Robinson Cano to 10-year, $240 million deal
- Point/Counterpoint: How good will Fister be?
- Sean Casey: Doug Fister is 'huge for the Nationals'
- Marlins sign Rafael Furcal, what are they up to?
- With Ellsbury & McCann, Yankees could be just getting started
- Report: Nats interested in lefty Scott Downs