Rodriguez has surgery for bone spur

Aug 31, 2012, 10:51 PM EDT

Henry Rodriguez has made two stints on the disabled list this season for injuries the Nationals said were to his index finger and his lower back. Turns out the biggest issue with the erratic reliever was a bone spur in his right elbow that required surgery today.

Rodriguez was operated on by team orthopedist Wiemi Douoguih; he may not be able to pitch in winter ball but is expected to be fully healed for the start of spring training.

General manager Mike Rizzo said Rodriguez only began complaining about discomfort in his elbow in roughly mid-July, but it's not certain how long he was pitching with the injury, or what effect it had on his performance. After failing to surrender an earned run in any of his first nine appearances this season, Rodriguez posted an 8.14 ERA over his final 26 games.

"I'm not sure [what the effect was], but Henry has got great upside," Rizzo said. "He's a power pitcher, and if this injury prevented him fromRead more ยป

1. Jim Webster - Aug 31, 2012 at 11:02 PM

If this fixes it, the Good Henry will be back and unhittable.

2. Sec.3, My Sofa - Aug 31, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Here's to Pretty Fricken Bueno…

3. JaneB - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:43 AM

I'm happy they figured out what was bothering him. It's possible his body was compensating to avoid pain. And I hope they fix it perfectly, and that HRod comes back and is the PFB pitcher Rizzo et al believe him to be. Not being snarky…really not…my heart couldn't have taken HRod in the games this fall. Heal, Henry Heal!!!

4. peric - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Be nice to know what has become of Nate Karns and Matt Purke … now that Rizzo has let drop what happened to Alex Meyer. Doug Harris behaves like he works for the CIA!

5. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:32 AM

I'll tell you all about Matt Purke, Sammy Solis, and Nate Karns plus the best of the lot, Taylor Jordan in about 2 weeks.

6. Steady Eddie - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Nats Jack — I'll ask my seemingly perpetual question — have you heard or seen anything about Cole Kimball?

7. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 1, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Steady Eddie…..No but when I go over to Viera next Friday I'll ask Mark Grater, the rehab coordinator.

8. natsfan1a - Sep 1, 2012 at 11:17 AM

9. natsfan1a - Sep 1, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Feel better, Henry. And I'll drink (some coffee) to PFB.

10. MicheleS - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I hope this solves Henry's problems because I love when he is Good Henry, PFB.Also, noted during some broadcasts, Henry is very quiet and doesn't speak English well. He needs to spend the offseason with Gio to loosen him up and learn English.