Sep 1, 2012, 4:44 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Gio Gonzalez got a shaving cream pie to the face after his first career shutout.
Chants of “Let’s go Gio!” as the ninth inning began. A Gatorade shower and shaving cream pie to the face that came moments later. Thumping music in the clubhouse after another lopsided victory. And then applause from those remaining players watching the Braves blow a ninth-inning lead to the Phillies.
These are the sights and sounds of a pennant race, and Washington is smack-dab in the middle of one right now.
A 10-0 whitewashing of the Cardinals Friday night gave the Nationals as many wins as they posted in all of 2011 — one shy of the club record — with 31 games still to play. Atlanta’s meltdown shortly after extended Washington’s lead to 6 1/2 games and lowered the magic number for the NL East title to 25.
“We have a long ways to go, and we haven’t done anything yet,” Ryan Zimmerman cautioned. “But what we have done is give this city a baseball team to cheer for, and they’ve wanted that for a long time.”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trio of Nats coaches will remain in organization
- MLB Playoffs continue with 4 Division Series games
- Roster review: Bryce Harper
- Important offseason dates to consider for the Nationals
- Ripken on Nats manager job: 'I'd answer the phone'
- Both ALDS shift to Texas for Game 3s
- Both NL Division Series continue with Saturday doubleheader
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?