Sep 1, 2012, 4:44 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Gio Gonzalez got a shaving cream pie to the face after his first career shutout.
Chants of “Let’s go Gio!” as the ninth inning began. A Gatorade shower and shaving cream pie to the face that came moments later. Thumping music in the clubhouse after another lopsided victory. And then applause from those remaining players watching the Braves blow a ninth-inning lead to the Phillies.
These are the sights and sounds of a pennant race, and Washington is smack-dab in the middle of one right now.
A 10-0 whitewashing of the Cardinals Friday night gave the Nationals as many wins as they posted in all of 2011 — one shy of the club record — with 31 games still to play. Atlanta’s meltdown shortly after extended Washington’s lead to 6 1/2 games and lowered the magic number for the NL East title to 25.
“We have a long ways to go, and we haven’t done anything yet,” Ryan Zimmerman cautioned. “But what we have done is give this city a baseball team to cheer for, and they’ve wanted that for a long time.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- Michael Jenkins takes walkoff pie to the face (VIDEO)
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown
- PHOTO: Kevin Durant rocks a Nats jersey
- UPDATE: Nats DFA Perez, claim Twins shortstop
- If healthy, Zimmerman should be in Nats lineup
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine