Game 133: Cardinals at Nats

Sep 2, 2012, 2:47 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg starts today's series finale at Nationals Park.

This won't be Stephen Strasburg's final start of the season, but the finish line for the Nationals' young ace is without question fast approaching. The club plans to give Strasburg one (maybe two) more appearances after today's outing, so might as well enjoy it while you can.

And the Nationals better hope the right-hander is a bit more successful today than he was last week in Miami when he was torched for a career-high seven runs in five innings. He'll be facing the Cardinals for the first time, leaving only two NL clubs he's never gone up against (the Reds and Brewers).

Veteran Jake Westbrook gets the nod for St. Louis, which will try to maintain its lead for the final wild-card berth in the NL and salvage a four-game series split.

I'm off today, but never fear: Chase Hughes of CSNwashington.com has the keys to the blog and will be providing updates all afternoon from the park…

ST. LOUIS CARDINALS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, Ch. 50, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 185
Weather: Scattered storms, 84 degrees, Wind 4 mph in from RF

RF Bryce Harper
CF Roger Bernadina
LF Michael Morse

Read more ยป

1. Section 222 - Sep 2, 2012 at 2:56 PM

If you missed it yesterday because the game was still going, the Ryan Zimmerman "My Life" special on MLB Network will be repeated at 12:30 pm.

2. Tcostant - Sep 2, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Thanks I will set the DVD

3. do1teach1 - Sep 2, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Regarding our failure to hold runners, a couple of points.Last night on the post-game radio show, Phil Wood referred to holding runners as a "lost art." The caller was expressing great frustration about the Nats' failure in this area, and Phil seemed to be making the counterpoint that this skill is a lost art in baseball, generally, or that it is especially a lost art among relievers, generally.I couldn't believe Phil said this. The pitchers AND relievers of 29 teams successfully practice the art of holding runners. It is not a "lost art" at all.He also said that Davey doesn't want his relievers throwing over, because it messes up their concentration and their delivery to the plate. I know this has been kicked around already, and this is no criticism of Phil, but this is just absolutely the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life. Pitchers can't throw strikes because they hold runners? Because they throw over? Is this really the belief of Davey Johnson? — That every single or walk against us is effectively a double?If you check the standings, and of course all of us are doing so, you see that razor-thin winning-percentage margins are going to determine seedings for the playoffs. One win or loss is going to make a huge difference–especially for the most important regular season prize: best NL record and top seed.I can't believe this team is ready to wizz away 2 or 3 winnable games because we believe it is unimportant for relievers to hold runners, even in close games.What I saw yesterday, in a tie game in the 9th inning of a pennant race, was this: defensive indifference.

4. NCNatsie - Sep 2, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Picking up on the wave discussion from the previous thread: I hate the wave because it discracts me as a fan.But I note many have said it particularly shouldn't be done when our team is in the field, because it distracts the defense.If that's true, shouldn't we encourage it when the opponents are in the field?I guess my overall point is that I doubt the extent to which it distracts the players, even though it most certainly does bug serious fans. I've never observed that basketball players miss more foul shots when the fans are waving snakes, etc behind the backboard, either.

5. Section 222 - Sep 2, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Needless to say NCNatsie, I agree with you 100%.

6. MicheleS - Sep 2, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I hope they took my suggestions on the IVs. Its disgustingly HUMID here!

7. Doc - Sep 2, 2012 at 4:06 PM

It should be JFlo's turn at C.

8. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 2, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Go strasburg

9. PChuck - Sep 2, 2012 at 4:27 PM

>>>I hope they took my suggestions on the IVs. Its disgustingly HUMID here!<<<I blame part of yesterday's performance on a lack of preparation for the humidity by the trainers.

10. pk24 - Sep 2, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Anyone know why LaRoche is out of the line up

11. BigCat - Sep 2, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Manassas….I see Osbourn got routed Friday night

12. natsfan1a - Sep 2, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Go, SS! Go, NATS BATS!! Do not pass go or collect $200, Cardinals base runners (of which there should not be any, so never mind on that last one :-)).Oh, yeah, btw, for Chase: Mark also said to make sure the tank is full when you're done and you should buy us all ice cream after the game like he always does. 0:-)Chase Hughes of CSNwashington.com has the keys to the blog and will be providing updates all afternoon from the park…

13. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 2, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Big Cat 1 beat down for and 1 against.Raining here in Manassas. What is it like at the stadium?

14. pRAA with the ISO - Sep 2, 2012 at 4:45 PM

What I saw yesterday, in a tie game in the 9th inning of a pennant race, was this: defensive indifference.If a base is stolen because a pitcher is 2.0 to the plate like Storen was yesterday, that's not defensive indifference. That base is going to be stolen whether the defense gives a **** about it or not. There's absolutely nothing that the defense can do to stop it.

15. PChuck - Sep 2, 2012 at 4:48 PM

>>>Anyone know why LaRoche is out of the line up<<<Rest.

16. pRAA with the ISO - Sep 2, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I guess my overall point is that I doubt the extent to which it distracts the players, even though it most certainly does bug serious fans. I've never observed that basketball players miss more foul shots when the fans are waving snakes, etc behind the backboard, either.Whether the wave distracts the pitcher or not is certainly open to question. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. But that's irrelevant. Home team fans should not be doing things that could potentially be distracting to their players. Can you give me even one reason why they should?At the very least, when fans behind home plate are doing the wave they should raise the screen so the pitcher will have a clear shot at them. That way he can let them know whether or not it bothers him.

17. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM

LaRache has not missed many games. He earned the day off.

18. MicheleS - Sep 2, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Pchuck. Nothing on twitter about ALR.

19. natsfan1a - Sep 2, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Comak had this on the blog: Saturday night's 10-9 loss against the St. Louis Cardinals left Nationals' right fielder Jayson Werth cramping and first baseman Adam LaRoche exhausted.Manager Davey Johnson said last night that Werth "didn't pull nothing," and sure enough the Nats' regular right fielder will occupy his usual spot in the lineup Sunday. LaRoche, who described last night's game as "long, humid [and] draining," has been given the day off.

20. PChuck - Sep 2, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Yes, the trainers didn't prepare the team for the humidity.

21. PChuck - Sep 2, 2012 at 5:26 PM

The entire training and medical staffs need to be replaced.

22. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 5:27 PM

I have a Stras comment not related to Shutdown-Gate..Opposing hitters often comment on how devistating Strasburg's "Splitter" is. The Nats have always called it a "Change-up". It sure acts like a Splitfinger fastball…Is that what it really is? I ask b/c there are those who say a Split can cause elbow/arm problems…I just wonder what he is actually throwing

23. ehay2k - Sep 2, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I was going to was my car today, but then I saw Stras was pitching, so I thought I'd wait until the rain passed. :-) GYFNG!

24. Gonat - Sep 2, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Raining steady here with Nats warming up.

25. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 2, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Derek…..Stras throws a circle change that acts alot like a split.

26. Gonat - Sep 2, 2012 at 5:47 PM

No Werth?

27. Gonat - Sep 2, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I see Morse Bernadina and Harper

28. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 5:49 PM

There was the Change/Split…Nasty!

29. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 5:51 PM

No real info about Werth yet Gonat…maybe the cramps from yesterday are back?

30. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Need that replay to go a little longer, he came off the base as he stood up…Ump called safe a little early…

31. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 2, 2012 at 5:57 PM

And another 20 + pitch inning for Stras.

32. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I actually think that's 2 bad calls this inning…Why are rookie umps doing this series??

33. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I am reading updates as I am my granddaughter'S first birthday party. Said Tracy missed ball. Was it like LaRache makes look easy.

34. Scott Margenau - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Shark slow to ball allows double. Then Tracy at first?? Why not more? He needs more bats…prob our best pure hitter all directions. Thank God Staus saved inning. #worried

35. Gonat - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Anyone watching a TV help us out on the 0-2 pitch to Holiday and the Bernadina throw to Espi and the Tracy play at 1st

36. Scott Margenau - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:06 PM

"Moore" — on iPhone Straus

37. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Gonat..the0-2 pitch to Holliday was a touch inside,per Pitch F/XI thought Holliday was out at 2nd, as he came off the bag as he stood upThe Tracy play was really hard to tell, after 4 replays, it looked like he was out, but it was VERY close

38. Scott Margenau - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Gonat — from the turtle TV at my seat it looked like a bad effort by Shark as if he conceded a single. Then Espinoza tag was like slow-mo.

39. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Gonat…The pitch was well inside and Espi was slow with the tag. Had he used a sweep tag he probably would have gotten the call.

40. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Bernie had to go a long way to get to the ball and got it there in plenty of time. It was all on Espi.

41. Gonat - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Swift, thanks. After the curve that froze Freese yesterday that changed the game, you hate mistakes.

42. Scott Margenau - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Straus looks solid so far. How many 300 plus hitters they have??! My Goodness.

43. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Agree Gonat, that blown call to Freese yesterday was a killer…How is that NOT a split Jack?! That pitch is unbelievable!!

44. Gonat - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM

NIce not having Yadier in today.

45. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Wow…A Great X-Mo shot of the Sras grip on that Circle Change…

46. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Derek…that's what FP said , "might as well have been a split fastball".

47. Scott Margenau - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Let me change "solid" to "silly" this is gonna be fun. That last change up was evil.

48. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:19 PM

The XMo shot clearly showed the Circle Change grip…His middle finger and ring finger on the seams, pinky on the side…that thing just tumbled….

49. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Put some pressure on them, Nats, put some pressure on them.

50. peric - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Wonder if CM Wang can hold runners. After Rizzo's long explanation about why he wasn't calling everyone up Davey brings back Wang? This is pure ego. How is that guy going to help this club down the stretch? He sure as heck can't hold runners if they hit his non-sinkers over the fence.

51. Scott Margenau - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:33 PM

52. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:36 PM

There you go Jack, how about an 8 pitch 3rd?…Lol

53. peric - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:41 PM

They changed the channel at green turtle for a Cincy fan…and by the time I got the manager to realize we are in DC!!! ,and put it back, I missed the inning. Can anyone recap?Yeah, its why I gave up … some jackass tourist wanted to watch NASCAR and doesn't even watch … then I get the game on …. and lo and behold some other jackass wants to watch some special basketball game. I gave up on that bar. It'll be fun to bring on the red when they are in the playoffs just to aggravate the Cubs, Angels, Dodgers, Phillies, and Giants fans … except for the Cubbie fans they all just go for the winners … fair weather fans.

54. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Yep, Derek…I'll take a couple og more just like that.

55. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Stras clearly losing focus after Zim's air mail.

56. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Fielding sub standard today

57. peric - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Rendon looking more and more like the new third base soon.

58. sm13 - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Another round of cortisone for my friend Ryan….

59. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:56 PM

What a Gift!! Don't they know who's in RF?

60. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Well that certainly saved a few pitches. Now, about that offensive pressure…

61. Scott Margenau - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Awesome!!!

62. sm13 - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Bryce, on the other hand, needs no medication. Great throw and great job by Suzuki .

63. Steady Eddie - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Hah. Whatever else the Cards I offense has, their scouting stinks!

64. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Good job Bryce and Kirk.

65. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I mean Kurt

66. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:59 PM

sm13… the next shot of cortisone needs to go to his brain because that throwing crap is all in Zim's head.

67. Fear and Ignorance - Sep 2, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Great play by Suzuki. That was a very tough play.

68. Gonat - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I called the doubleplay but not the 9-2.

69. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Capt. Kurt!!! BOOM

70. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:02 PM

That's a start; keep it coming.

71. Fear and Ignorance - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:02 PM

I think he should just get a jersey that says Kurt on the back!!!

72. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Love the Suzuki pick up…..absolutely love it.

73. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Haha..Eugene I know you're not comfortable until they reach double figures…and yesterday showed why!…Long way to go

74. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Make a play at the plate then hit a ding dong

75. Steady Eddie - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Zooook!

76. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Strasburg. stops his 0 for 12

77. Gonat - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Legion of BOOM

78. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Swift Eagle: I'm not comfortable until the game is over — in fact, I'm not entirely comfortable until MLB has posted it in their official standings.

79. sm13 - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Nats Jack – good point, but maybe the shot would give him more confidence in the shoulder. He looks like he's skittish about extending his arm all the way.

80. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:09 PM

He's battled throwing yips for over 5 seasons now.

81. peric - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Wasn't Godzilla's kid 'zilla sidekick named Godzuki? Hmmmm :)

82. Scott Margenau - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Lol. Peric. U r right!

83. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Hopefully, the Strasburg shut down will lead to improved weather every 5th day.

84. Scott Margenau - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Ok. Be honest who just saw Harp in their mind run full steam into the rail and get hurt?? Whew…..

85. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Mr. Westbrook — according to the TV crew — has problems in the 4th and 5th innings. Messrs. Harper, Zimmerman, and Morse due up. I know baseball includes a lot of randomness, but this is where they need to focus and, yes, put the pressure on and score some more runs.

86. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Haha Jack…they really should hand out ponchos for every Stras start…

87. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Not what I had in mind.

88. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Hmmm some of these pitches by Westbrook look like "Vaseline Balls" to me…somebody better check

89. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:23 PM

As a team we still swing at a lot of balls in the dirt. Our pitchers get guys to swing at lots of bad pitches too.

90. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:31 PM

I don't know all the numbers, but Stl hitters clearly have a great approach when runners are on base..very easy to see they have a game plan…Stras has had to make good pitches to get out of trouble…

91. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:33 PM

That's 97 pitches. One more full inning, one hopes. Need some offense from the 5-6-7 hitters.

92. Melissa Rabey - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Bit worried to see Burnett warming up, given how he's pitched in his last few appearances.

93. Gonat - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Burnie coming in relief.

94. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Lol..we have a lot of worrying going on here today…breathe easy folks, we have the best team in baseball…

95. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Great AB by Ian…Westbrook has been impressive,everything down, lots of movement…he's a pro

96. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Swift Eagle: What, me worry?

97. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Did I mention I love that Suzuki pick up?

98. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Haha, Eugene my friend, I'm a little concerned about you watching post-season games…Happy thoughts!..We all like your posts, don't want you to be on the DL…

99. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Great bounce back start from Stras…Only 97 pitches,but several high stress innings and some shaky defense…Only Holliday had hits

100. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Burnett due a good performance. Last 3 outings poor. Change of pants leg should do it.

101. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Since others over-react to every Zim error by saying he will be replaced, I've decided to over-react to every good play by saying he is one of the best defensive third basemen ever…

102. Scott Margenau - Sep 2, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Damn it.

103. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Again as soon as he gave up the hit I had him pulled as until he reverses this terrible habit he has no rope with me.

104. peric - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:00 PM

And many are always complaining about Gorzelanny? Right now after the past two nights Gorzo looks better even as a left-handed short man.And here comes Davey Natslady … who do you think he is going to trust?Not CM Wang hopefully.

105. Melissa Rabey - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:00 PM

My reaction exactly, Scott. Burnett is really struggling.

106. Gonat - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Burnett got behind in the count. Credit to the batter.

107. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Davey 0 for 2 this weekend. he allows Burnett to pitch when he is not getting ball over the plate. He did this mid June to mid July last year.Matthews comes in and continues bullpen melt down.

108. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:04 PM

And you wonder why I worry?

109. Scott Margenau - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:04 PM

WTH — anyone worried bout our pen?

110. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:05 PM

First HR by a lefty v. Burnett all season…

111. Fear and Ignorance - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:06 PM

112. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Do I sense a little dry tightness in the throat of some Nats relievers?

113. Exposremains - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Burnett does it again, very similar to his bad stretch last year. it seems like every year he has a very bad stretch where he costs games to Nats.

114. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Decals was in a 7 for 56 slump and Burnett because he falls behind 3-1 has to throw right over the middle. Time for him to straighten up. This is not the time to slump.

115. Secret wasian man - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Just came back from a trip. What happened to the pitching. This organization is so preoccupied with stras and the limit it is a distraction. He should have never been taken out of this game. Especially since the laroche pinch hit was a joke.

116. Gonat - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Manassas, that's it and the batter played BP with it.

117. Secret wasian man - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Amen fear and ignorance. Another horrible job by bullpen.

118. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:11 PM

How about a stolen base for the Nats at some point? No Molina today…

119. Secret wasian man - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Nice hustle Ryan.

120. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Oh come on SWM…you have to be kidding! I've been trying to ignore you guys, but Seriously?

121. DaveB - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:14 PM

man … sure didn't take long for the Legion of Doom to show up

122. Secret wasian man - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Your right swift. Just frustrated

123. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Boot a ball get a double play. Harper should have been running with Zim up. Morse hit would have knocked in a run.

124. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Now, take advantage of that kind of play (missed foul ball).

125. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Come on Desl

126. Scott Margenau - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I think peeps are just concerned with poor play….no doom here! Ps: there's your steal.

127. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Good job Desi

128. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Now, more pressure.

129. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:21 PM

There we go….Hang in there boys….And SWM the bullpen implosion frustrates me too, they need to pick it up

130. Secret wasian man - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Great job des. Lets get a few more.

131. Scott Margenau - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Bats been pretty good lately. Let's go!

132. sm13 - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Excellent ab by Ian, after the break on the foul popped up.

133. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:21 PM

A good job by Danny there, Tracy needed a little help to score! Lol

134. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Okay, fair enough.

135. Fear and Ignorance - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Very clutch boys!!!

136. Secret wasian man - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Good good good. Come on bull pen. Finish it

137. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Now that's how you answer.

138. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Surprised Cruz could get Desl at second. he must have hesitated around first

139. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I meant Espi

140. Gonat - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Desi with man on 3rd and 2 outs. DEADLY!!!!

141. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Danny was heads up there, traded an out for the run…and you guys would have been howling if he had not advanced on that throw…Some of you will NEVER be happy…

142. Scott Margenau - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Shhhh. Let's just win baby!!

143. MicheleS - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:31 PM

What the heck is going on with the bullpen?

144. Scott Margenau - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I like what FP said. "2-0 feels like 10-0 when Stras was in…"

145. Secret wasian man - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Wow really. Come on put clip in now

146. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Maalox? Lisinopril? Bourbon? What you got, bartender?

147. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Looks like one of those days where the Cards were happy to see anyone other than Stras…

148. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Can our relievers pitch? This is just not smart pitching. he was ahead of the two guys who hit doubles

149. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Haha…All of the above Eugene…with this bullpen it's going to be a wild ride!

150. Scott Margenau - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I ordering defibrillators for everyone! It's only early Sept….yet I am concerned with the BP of nats fans. No more hot dogs n fries either!

151. Secret wasian man - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I think the pen is getting caught up in the moment of September ball meaning something.

152. Melissa Rabey - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:38 PM

DeRosa as the pinch-hitter????????????? When you have Lombo and Moore????

153. Scott Margenau - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Why Derosa over Moore? Then Moore for shark???

154. Secret wasian man - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I have lost a few pounds fie to the fact ive been taking walks in the 9th. Btw cant take out Bernie we need him in the field.

155. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Davey would prefer to go with vets like Tracy and DeRosa in late inning PH roles down the stretch, he has to let them hit now to see if they're viable options…

156. Secret wasian man - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Amen Melissa

157. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Maloox please Clip coming in.no walks please

158. Melissa Rabey - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I'm trying to take deep breaths and stay calm as I tell myself, "Marathon not a sprint, marathon not a sprint." But I just might have to get some Maalox.

159. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:49 PM

WEB GEM

160. NatsFanJim - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Great play, Espi!!Is Johnson nuts? Removing Bernie when we need him for defense in a one run ballgame and allowing the Iron gloved Moore to play in left? He is insane.

161. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Curly W 81!!!! Isn't this great?

162. Scott Margenau - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Stras deserves this win. Well, him and GODZUKI

163. sm13 - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Swim – good point about the bullpen feeling the playoff heat. They have been clutch all year, but September baseball is a whole different level of pressure.

164. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:51 PM

See. That was easy. Bring on the Cubs!

165. NatsFanJim - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:51 PM

And with Matheus on the ropes, why isnt the bullpen working? He didn't get Gonzalez up until Matheus went 3-0 to the last batter.Davey is good in the clubhouse; and absolute DOLT on field manager. He is rather STUPID.

166. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Somebody check on Eugene..you good bro? 3 of 4 over the Cards…4 games against the Cubs now, shouldn't be too tough…Lol

167. NatsFanJim - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Great Win Nationals!!!!!You did it inspite of a Knuckleheaded, too old to field manager Davey Johnson.

168. sm13 - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Nice quick inning from Clip. 3 out of 4 from the Cards! Way to go Nats!

169. NatsFanJim - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Stras does deserve this win, but that ain't the way it goes.Suzuki is starting to pay off — good job, Rizzo.

170. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Now that was good pitching Clip

171. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Great series, 3 out 4 against the WS champs…Fantastic work from Stras and the Manager of the Year Davey Johnson…

172. ehay2k - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Cue MicheleS…:-) Another win, another series win. Work the plan fellas, work the plan. Haven't read game thread, I'm sure there were plenty of histrionics. Kudos to Zuki. Stepping up just like a good Nat should.

173. NatsFanJim - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Can someone remind Johnson that you strengthen your defense in the late innings in a close ball game, not the opposite.Davey sits Werth today when Werth was 4-4 and hits Westbrook like he owns him. Another stupid move.

174. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Had to miss a chunk of the 9th because of a mini-crisis at home, but got to see the final two outs; wow! Wasn't sure that — the Curly W — was going to happen.Scott M: please send one of those defibrillators to Oregon; stat.Now, as for the Cubs, put some pressure on them early and keep it on.

175. peric - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Thanks Davey for taking out a guy who had a 2-hit shutout going with 9 K's for loser Burnett. Great move!!! Strasburg is counting the days until he can go to an organization that will just let him pitch.He was at 100 pitches. So, let's listen to a moron with a moron's name like fear and ignorance and ignore world famous orthopedic surgeons. Right and let's go to Disneyland or Fantasy Island.

176. NatsFanJim - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:56 PM

If we had Showalter, this Nats team would already be at 88-90 wins.

177. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Magic number playoff number 20 for division 23

178. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Yep….. Best manager in baseball. He continues to put people in spots to expand their comfort zone. Definitely the NL Manager of the Year.

179. NatsFanJim - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Can we trade Davey Johnson to the Phillies?Whoever Johnson yelled "Well, then you come down and manage the team" should do just that. Half a dozen people on this forum could field manage better than Davey.Now to clarify: There is no one better in the clubhouse than Davey — he would make a good Bench coach — or maybe Cheerleader. Otherwise, he is a stupid, stupid ass. Today, this game was won In Spite of Davey, not because of him.

180. peric - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Why Derosa over Moore? Then Moore for shark???Wanted to get everyone some work.There's no understanding why he would keep using DeRosa or CM Wang! Who is now also on the roster? Two complete FAILS this season. Davey isn't perfect and both of those players were definitely all his idea.

181. Scott Margenau - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Swift loves him some Davey. NFJ — I feel ya , but this board has taught me to be patient with Davey. He looks like a genius at times and foolish at times….but we gotta trust him….GYFNG!

182. ehay2k - Sep 2, 2012 at 9:00 PM

If we had Showalter, we'd be playing in a weaker division, so you are correct.

183. Scott Margenau - Sep 2, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Peric — shark n Moore have impressive pinch numbers. Why is Derosa on this team?

184. ehay2k - Sep 2, 2012 at 9:02 PM

NFJ – the team's record indicates that Davey has not cost them many games. You doth protest too much, methinks.

185. Scott Margenau - Sep 2, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Lol. Natsfanjim— u crack me up.

186. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Scott, what exactly is foolish about the best record in MLB? Have you watched the Nats in past years? Nobody's perfect, but The guy has been fabulous all year…Last time I checked, you Can't do any better than 1st…

187. ehay2k - Sep 2, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Natsjack – you are correct that Davey is still developing the players he wants to play well in the postseason. Putting them in new situations is part of that, because it says he trusts them. His influence and patience is the reason why the younger players have shown so much improvement and poise this year.

188. Scott Margenau - Sep 2, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Swift I agree…mostly. But IMO davey has made some…let's say "baffling" moves. Like Derosa in and Shark out going to one run 9th.

189. djinFl. - Sep 2, 2012 at 9:10 PM

@ NatsFanJimFirst clean up your language. This is and will always be a kid friendly site.Second, I couldn't disagree with you more on Davey. He has these guys playing at a level we did not expect this year. You may disagree with his moves but his results prove you wrong.

190. Swift Eagle - Sep 2, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I understand if you disagree with him Scott, but he has reasons for those moves…he wants to get DeRosa ABs and he want'sto be able to use Moore as a late inning PH and replacement. So he has to do that now. he can't wait until the playoffs to just throw them out there…

191. Scott Margenau - Sep 2, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I think after watching that Press address that Davey is an incredible behind the scene and clubhouse manager. I don't think anyone should get upset if some people question field decisions…but since I have a 6 and 8 year old watching this let's all do as djinFl. Says and keep it clean.

192. Melissa Rabey - Sep 2, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I hadn't considered the idea of Davey testing the bench guys to see who can hold up to the pressure–thanks to everyone who offered up that. Glad for the win in spite of the gut-churningness of it all!