Sep 2, 2012, 11:31 PM EDT
|Photo by US-Presswire|
Stephen Strasburg may have had the worst start of his career just five days ago in Miami, but there were certainly no residual effects on Sunday in Washington’s 4-3 victory over the Cardinals. The Nationals’ ace did not earn the win, but he set his team up with six scoreless innings in what will be one of his final outings of the 2012 season.
Strasburg was razor sharp with nine strikeouts and set down a formidable St. Louis lineup, the offense of a team that currently holds a wild card spot and could be the Nationals’ first round matchup if both clubs make the postseason. His dominance of a possible playoff foe perhaps further sets in the fact he will be absent for whatever happens, but at this point Strasburg and his teammates have to keep their mind on the task at hand.
“I’m just focused on the next start. That’s all I can really focus on right now,” Strasburg said.
“I’m in it with these guys and we still got a long way to go but I’m going to fight with them until the end.”
The task today was to bounce back from that disastrous, five-earned run outing against the Marlins. Strasburg said he met with catcher Kurt Suzuki, pitching coach Steve McCatty, and even Gio Gonzalez in between the starts to figure out how to fix what went wrong.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge