Sep 3, 2012, 3:50 PM EDT
Sean Burnett's recent struggles out of the bullpen haven't been a result only of poor execution but of an elbow issue that plagued the left-hander earlier this summer and has come back to haunt him again.
Burnett got treatment after yesterday's game for "a little inflammation" in his throwing elbow, manager Davey Johnson said this morning. Johnson said the 29-year-old reliever would likely need to rest for a "couple of days."
The Nationals' primary setup man all season, Burnett acknowledged in mid-July he had been dealing with elbow tightness for about six weeks. He bounced back, though, and tossed 10 consecutive scoreless outings through August 10.
But over his last eight appearances, spanning six innings, Burnett has been tagged for 16 hits, with opponents posting a 1.220 OPS againstRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery