Sep 3, 2012, 3:50 PM EDT
Sean Burnett's recent struggles out of the bullpen haven't been a result only of poor execution but of an elbow issue that plagued the left-hander earlier this summer and has come back to haunt him again.
Burnett got treatment after yesterday's game for "a little inflammation" in his throwing elbow, manager Davey Johnson said this morning. Johnson said the 29-year-old reliever would likely need to rest for a "couple of days."
The Nationals' primary setup man all season, Burnett acknowledged in mid-July he had been dealing with elbow tightness for about six weeks. He bounced back, though, and tossed 10 consecutive scoreless outings through August 10.
But over his last eight appearances, spanning six innings, Burnett has been tagged for 16 hits, with opponents posting a 1.220 OPS againstRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Heyward's 2B keys rally as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5
- Nationals open pivotal series in St. Louis
- State of the Nats: Cardinals up next; Werth heating up
- Taylor avoids injury scare, returns to lineup with a bang
- Strasburg leaves Nats win over Marlins with injury
- Nats overcome rough start, win 7-4
- Nats look for fourth consecutive series win vs. Marlins
- Fan dies after fall from upper deck at Atlanta Braves game
- Nats gain a rare game on the Mets with win over Marlins
- Zimmermann, Nats bounce back to top Marlins