Morse removed in 4th inning

Sep 3, 2012, 10:07 PM EDT

Michael Morse was removed from today's Nationals victory in the middle of the fourth inning, a surprise mid-game benching the club said was due to right thumb soreness even though manager Davey Johnson later cited an issue with Morse's hand and Morse himself insisted nothing was physically wrong.

"My hand feels fine," Morse said. "My hand feels good."

Morse has dealt with two separate nagging injuries over the last month. His thumb acted up in mid-August while the Nationals were playing in San Francisco, the result of being jammed on several inside pitches. Then on Aug. 24 in Philadelphia, he was struck by a pitch on the outside of his right hand, knocking him out of the entire series.

Morse hadn't noted any problems with either area since and appeared to be fine through the first 3 1/2 innings of today's game against the Cubs. But when the top of the fourth ended with Morse mimicking a catch in left field as teammate Bryce Harper actually snagged the flyball a few feet away, Morse and Johnson were seen having an animatedRead more ยป

1. baseballswami - Sep 3, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Hmmmmmmm.

2. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 3, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Tweets are saying he's fine snd that he was really upset at getting pulled.

3. natsfan1a - Sep 3, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Hope he's okay. I wondered whether it might be his hand after he was pulled.

4. Joe Seamhead - Sep 3, 2012 at 10:42 PM

This sounds like reporters stirring up the pot to me. This team has gone almost an entire year with no internal controversy,. Let's keep it that way, put it to rest.

5. baseballswami - Sep 3, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Has Davey ever been ejected since he took over? Talking about controversy made me think of it. By the way, Davey had words with an ump today over something. No clue, didn't pick up on anything.

6. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 3, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I prefer them play it safe at this point.

7. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 3, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Swami, it's been a while since Davey last got the thumb, about this time last year.

8. NatsLady - Sep 3, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Until Bryce's ejection, NO Nats had been ejected this year.

9. peric - Sep 3, 2012 at 11:07 PM

10. peric - Sep 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Hmmm I guess we'll see what happens over the next month relative to Mikey Mo and Davey … Corey Brown and his 25 homers are due to arrive for tomorrow's game.

11. hiramhover - Sep 3, 2012 at 11:49 PM

I don't think it's nothing – Morse was shaking his hand on the way to 1B in yesterday's game, as if he'd hurt it–I don't remember which inning.

12. NatsFanJim - Sep 3, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Was Davey upset over Morse 'goofing around' in the outfield during a play — where harper caught a fly ball and MOrse was acting to playful and goofy?I think Davey said something to him and Davey got the wrong response. Results: Bernie, grab a bat. You're up.

13. Maurymania - Sep 4, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I suspect that Davey was none to happy with Morse playfully pretending to catch that ball, I remember that FP let out a chuckle when it happened. It's fair to say that this sort of thing would be nothing unless Davey has observed a bit too much silliness from Morse lately (such as the protracted bucket on the head-Gio-celebration). There's usually a bit more to it, but let's remember, Davey KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT HE IS DOING. He got us here, and he's smart enough to not air it out…so let it be, Mickey Morse will be in the lineup tomorrow, all will be right with the world again.

14. Gonat - Sep 4, 2012 at 12:04 AM

15. Gonat - Sep 4, 2012 at 12:10 AM

"Morse was complaining about his thumb/hand, where he got hit, was acting up," Johnson said after the game. "I knew their pitcher was going to pound him in, and I didn't want to aggravate it worse. He didn't want to come out. I just said: 'You're coming out.' I don't need you aggravating [it]."_________________________________Davey probably wasn't too happy in a 1-0 game some goofing around out there with a veteran player in front of a 19 year old rookie. The view from the dugout is far different than the view on TV. It may have looked to Davey like Morse jumped right in front of Harp.

16. natsfan1a - Sep 4, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Hhover, I'd noticed him shaking his hand more than once on recent broadcasts.

17. peric - Sep 4, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Just maybe its both … its time to start the training and Shinsei Davey wants a somewhat more serious approach to the game. Nothing has been won yet and the hardest fought games are yet to come. Plus there's Morse's dearth of power production which can be attributed to the hand/thumb injury. I think someone said there's a lot there? I think there's a lot there too.

18. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 4, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Shinsei Davey? I think that's a promotion. Sensei, maybe. But there is plenty there, no question about it.

19. Teresa - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:44 AM

Lots of speculation in the article and in the posts, which is unfair to both men involved. None of you really know what went down. Unless something changes, I'm taking Davey at his word. I hate it when the press implies something just to stir the pot.

20. feelanau - Sep 4, 2012 at 4:22 PM

The press is reporting what they and the fans actually saw. I thought it was weird when he pretended to catch the ball, and also thought that it could have distracted Harper and caused an error. It looked to me like Morse was annoyed that he was called off by Harper. Anyway, those were my reactions as it happened.