Sep 4, 2012, 9:44 PM EST
Brown, who becomes the 32nd member of the Nationals' active roster, is making his third stint with the big-league club this season. He went 3-for-16 with his first career homer and two RBI during the two previous stints, but he'll have trouble seeing significant action down the stretch for a team in the thick of a pennant race.
"Well, nobody's hurt," manager Davey Johnson said when asked what role he envisioned for Brown. "I've used Edwin Jackson's replacement [Eury Perez, as the club's primary pinch-runner] a few times. I'll probably think of something. But he's a little bit behind [Roger Bernadina] in the pecking order. I might be able to get him an at-bat here or there, or get him in for defense."
Brown, 26, enjoyed a breakthrough season at Syracuse, finishing with a .285 average, 25 homers, 71 RBI and 18 stolen bases. This campaignRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Lefties on agenda as Winter Meetings begin
- Granderson, Mets reach $60M, 4-yr deal
- Could Michael Morse return to the National League?
- Nate McLouth gives Nats depth & insurance
- Nats still have things to do at Winter Meetings
- Napoli, Red Sox agree on 2-year, $32M deal
- Nats 1B Adam LaRoche to join USO Holiday Tour
- Carlos Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Nationals sign outfielder McLouth to 2-year deal
- Phillies looking to trade CL Jonathan Papelbon