Sep 4, 2012, 9:44 PM EDT
Brown, who becomes the 32nd member of the Nationals' active roster, is making his third stint with the big-league club this season. He went 3-for-16 with his first career homer and two RBI during the two previous stints, but he'll have trouble seeing significant action down the stretch for a team in the thick of a pennant race.
"Well, nobody's hurt," manager Davey Johnson said when asked what role he envisioned for Brown. "I've used Edwin Jackson's replacement [Eury Perez, as the club's primary pinch-runner] a few times. I'll probably think of something. But he's a little bit behind [Roger Bernadina] in the pecking order. I might be able to get him an at-bat here or there, or get him in for defense."
Brown, 26, enjoyed a breakthrough season at Syracuse, finishing with a .285 average, 25 homers, 71 RBI and 18 stolen bases. This campaignRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent