Sep 4, 2012, 9:44 PM EDT
Brown, who becomes the 32nd member of the Nationals' active roster, is making his third stint with the big-league club this season. He went 3-for-16 with his first career homer and two RBI during the two previous stints, but he'll have trouble seeing significant action down the stretch for a team in the thick of a pennant race.
"Well, nobody's hurt," manager Davey Johnson said when asked what role he envisioned for Brown. "I've used Edwin Jackson's replacement [Eury Perez, as the club's primary pinch-runner] a few times. I'll probably think of something. But he's a little bit behind [Roger Bernadina] in the pecking order. I might be able to get him an at-bat here or there, or get him in for defense."
Brown, 26, enjoyed a breakthrough season at Syracuse, finishing with a .285 average, 25 homers, 71 RBI and 18 stolen bases. This campaignRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants