Game 135: Cubs at Nats

Sep 4, 2012, 7:38 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats look to make it 6 of their last 7 tonight at Nationals Park.

Whatever the reason Michael Morse was pulled from yesterday's game in the fourth inning, it wasn't enough to keep him from playing tonight. Morse is back in the Nationals' lineup, hitting cleanup against Cubs rookie left-hander Chris Rusin.

Morse will, however, shift to right field for this game, with Jayson Werth sliding over to center field and Tyler Moore getting a rare start in left field. That means Bryce Harper is on the bench. I wouldn't read a whole lot into that; he's probably just getting the night off against a lefty.

Edwin Jackson, coming off an eight-inning, 10-strikeout performance against the Cardinals, gets the start for the Nationals, who are looking to win for the sixth time in their last seven games since that five-game losing streak of a week ago.

Updates to come, please check back…

CHICAGO CUBS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Chance of storms, 85 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to LF

CF Jayson Werth
SS Ian Desmond
RF Michael Morse

Read more ยป

1. natsfan1a - Sep 4, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Go, Edwin! Go, NATS BATS!!

2. Tcostant - Sep 4, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I expect a small crowd. Tickets are selling under $1 on stubhub and club seats are going for $10.Wish I could go today with those deals.

3. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 4, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Weather: Chance of storms, 85 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to LFKids: Back to schoolVisiting team: CubsDay of the week: TuesdayYep, probably not a big crowd. If it was a weekend against the Cubs during the summer, it would draw a large visiting crowd.

4. A DC Wonk - Sep 4, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Nats are now _fourth_ in the NL in team BA.I'd love to see the splits on that — what have the Nats been batting post-All Star Break? (Although I can do _player_ splits, I don't know how to do _team_ splits at B-R)

5. Doc - Sep 4, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Get some knocks, JFlo!

6. sjm308 - Sep 4, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Will be interesting to see how Davey uses the roster now that it has increased. Like that Corey Brown is up and he definitely has OF depth. I would love to see Lombo start a game soon as well and would not mind giving all 3 guys a day off. I realize we are in a pennant race but I think rest can be one of the keys to success. I did not follow the Braves fall last year but I am betting they got tired down the stretch. Hope that does not happen to us.Go Nats!! Go Playoffs!! Score First!!

7. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 4, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Wonk, truly amazing. Much credit to Davey as he has really turned around the fortunes of so many of these players and this new initiative with Eckstein seems to be working.It was just a shame to see Espi and Harp in such deep slumps and glad both are turning around in a positive direction at such key points in the season.

8. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 4, 2012 at 8:22 PM

SteveJM, Definitely the rest would be good but don't want to rest everyone at once and then when the division is secured Davey can reassess the situation as he may want to go for "best record".I think the big picture has to be to get guys rest while getting everyone some reps out there.Werth, Morse, LaRoche, Espi, Desi, Zim, Harp in that order seems to me the order they need rest in and maybe its just an early night off if the Nats can get a large enough lead.

9. Tcostant - Sep 4, 2012 at 8:22 PM

If anyone wants my four tickets for tonight, just post your e-mail address and I'll get them to you at 5PM (since I'm sure they won't sell on stubhub).They are secition 233 Mez Row HFree – just got to promise to go and cheer on the Nats/

10. Grandstander - Sep 4, 2012 at 8:26 PM

DC Wonk, here is the Nats team splits page from BR.http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/split.cgi?t=b&team=WSN&year=2012You can get to everything else from this pagehttp://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/WSN/2012.shtml

11. SonnyG10 - Sep 4, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Lets go EJax, Nats! Keep the winning line moving.

12. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 4, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Tcostant, another great benefit of NI! What a great offer!

13. baseballswami - Sep 4, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Would rather have seen JFlo catch ZMMNN. Seems like his struggles began just when we got a new catcher and he couldn't quite get in sync with Suzuki. Hope it's just an unlucky coincidence. Now that the bench is full, it would be nice to see the regulars get some innings off and see the bench guys sharpen up their skills just in case we need them. I agree the "crowd" will be tiny tonight. I may not even get to see much of it on the tube. DVR for sure. Go Nats!!!

14. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 4, 2012 at 8:41 PM

15. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 4, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Look at how hard it's been lately to get Lombo and Tyler any consistent atbats.

16. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 4, 2012 at 8:44 PM

baseballswami, agreed on the JZim to JFlo but Zuu did much better with him last game even though the game results were horrific.Figure Gio/Zuu tomorrow night for sure then we will see how it goes from there.I'm curious to see how Gio and EJax bounce back from those long outings they both had.

17. JD - Sep 4, 2012 at 8:47 PM

'I'm curious to see how Gio and EJax bounce back from those long outings they both had' That's a really good point; especially Gio with that 120 pitch complete game.

18. Section 222 - Sep 4, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I'm looking forward to the magic Davey will conjure with an expanded roster. Something tells me he'll figure out how to use both the position players and pitchers in ways that will help the team win, and provide key rest for some of the starters. One thing that these new guys can be used for is to get the other team to burn a key reliever on a matchup. I realize that they can play the same game, but for some reason I have confidence that Davey will play it better. I do hope that Wang, Duke, Garcia, and Lannan (for a week) can offer a little relief (har har har) to our bullpen. They've already been worked hard this year, and we need them to be sharp for the playoffs.

19. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 4, 2012 at 8:49 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… Ghost ……Davey said don't expect to see alot of the call ups except in situational rolesI think that is definitely the short-term plan to keep the pedal on the metal and wrap up the division. After that, I would expect a day or 2 of rest and not a whole lot more than that as the starters still need to get their work in.I hope to see that big toothy grin of Davey's at least 33 times more and hopefully on the parade route!

20. Tcostant - Sep 4, 2012 at 8:50 PM

No one want my free four tickets to the game? If your lery of posting your e-mail address, just e-mail at ID above at hotmail dot com.sec 233 Mez Row H

21. sjm308 - Sep 4, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Ghost – of course I don't want them all resting at once but it can't hurt to give one starter a break every 7 or 8 games. The caveat here is that we continue to lead the Braves by the 6+/7 games that we have now. To me, job one is win the division. The other stuff can play out after that and NatsJack is correct, Davey has already said this Sept is totally different than last year.

22. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 4, 2012 at 8:52 PM

By the way NatsJack, I am actually planning my Fall schedule accordingly as October will stay wide open and flexible. Frequent Flyer miles at the ready for last minute trips (if you know what I mean).

23. JD - Sep 4, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Sec 222, You gotta keep pushing hard until you clinch. As I said before the Mets managed to blow a 7 game lead with 17 left and I think the Braves had an 8.5 game lead with about 25 games left last year. You worry about the playoffs when you get in.

24. sjm308 - Sep 4, 2012 at 8:54 PM

222 – if Wang is in one game the rest of the year then we have lost or are losing by a considerable amount. We have too many arms that are producing results to throw him in any game that has meaning. In a word, he was Horrible in his rehab and I have no reason to believe things will change in the big leagues. I was a big fan at the beginning but it just didn't work. Time to move on.Tcostant – going tomorrow and thursday and went yesterday and Saturday. My spousal equivalent is already grumbing about being a baseball widow but thanks for the offer.Go Nats!!

25. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 4, 2012 at 8:56 PM

sjm308, agreed. Just thinking through how you meant it. I sure hope Werth and LaRoche get some rest. Even though Werth was off a long time with the injury, he is a key to get this offense going and still requires regular rest.I love the combo of Werth getting on base and Harp getting home!

26. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 4, 2012 at 8:57 PM

27. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:00 PM

JD, agreed, pedal to the metal. If you believe Davey pulled Morse for a thumb yesterday, I'm not buying it. No fooling around until the Fat Lady Sings the tune of the Navy Horn blazing at the end of the game.

28. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:02 PM

DC Wonk: I'll let others address the question of BA's usefulness as a stat, but your basic point is spot-on; the Nats have turned around their offense and are no longer an unbalanced team.I'm more inclined to focus on the most fundamental number available: runs per game (scored or allowed). For pretty much the entire season, the Nats pitchers (and defense) have been number one in the NL is allowing the fewest runs per game (currently 3.57). But what's been fun to watch has been the improvement in offensive production. The Nats currently rank 5th in the NL in runs/game scored at 4.42; throw out Colorado (an anomaly) and they're 4th. They are scoring 0.17 runs/game above 'league average' putting them ahead of some pretty decent offensive clubs). Earlier in the season — although they were winning — they were still mired in the 'below league average' range, which just puts way too much pressure on your pitching staff to be (near) perfect.And if you want to consider what goes into runs scored, there are — of course — whole books written about that. But, at a minimum, it's nice to see the Nats 6th in OPS and, more importantly, 4th in OPS+ (which adjusts for ballpark effects and — correctly — drops Colorado, Cincinnati, and Arizona out of the top five, while adding San Francisco).

29. JD - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Ghost, I think the consensus is that Morse failed to back up Harper on a fly to center and Davie wants to make sure that all his players have their heads in the game all the time so he made an example. He didn't show the player up by pulling him out in the middle of an inning and he allowed the thumb story to be published but Morse knows the score and I am sure he will be more alert going forward.

30. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Eugene, I probably posted a few dozen times in the off-season on the offensive stat of Runs/G and I don't know how they have done it but they have now met that goal as a team and its why the team is in a position to surpass 94 wins this year.Last night wasn't a stellar night for the Runs stat however that 8th inning add-on run was the difference between a blow-save and a win. Every run counts in the grand plan here.Some more blow-out Nats wins would be great for the team too.

31. Tcostant - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Last call – anyone want the free tickets? I can e-mail right away. Really want someone to use them…Either post your e-mail address or just e-mail at ID above at hotmail dot com.sec 233 Mez Row H4 Tixs, totally free – no catch

32. Section 222 - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:08 PM

sjm and JD, we don't disagree at all. No letting up until we clinch. I'm not arguing for Wang to pitch in a high leverage situation. But if there are garbage innings to be pitched, either because we're winning by a lot or getting blown out, keep Stammen and Gorzo fresh, give an extra day's rest to Mattheus, whatever you can do. And I'd say both Duke and Garcia should be given a chance to pitch in the 6th or 7th if needed. I trust Davey's bullpen management probably more than any other part of his game. He'll figure it out.We are not the 2011 Braves or the 2007 Mets. We have better starters, and a better bullpen (the back end of the Braves' bullpen was great, but it was way overused down the stretch, which is another reason I'd like to see Davey use the new arms if he can), and a way better manager. Call me Pollyanna, but I just don't see a collapse in sight — unless we get a signficant injury.

33. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Just say no to Wang. We've played that song. Even as a mop-up, there have to be better mops in the closet.

34. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM

JD said… Ghost,I think the consensus is that Morse failed to back up Harper on a fly to center and Davie wants to make sure that all his players have their heads in the game all the time so he made an example. He didn't show the player up by pulling him out in the middle of an inning and he allowed the thumb story to be published but Morse knows the score and I am sure he will be more alert going forward.That could certainly be it and Davey is very calculated on what he does. He's not perfect but he is usually thinking a step ahead of everyone and has a reason or a message he is sending.I think he was sending a message to all the Vets on playing the game right just like he did with Harp a while back when he airmailed a throw over the cutoff and sat the next day.

35. JD - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:15 PM

sec 222. I don't see a collapse either but I am not allowing myself to celebrate just yet and I don't think Davie is either. Had the 5 game losing streak gone on for a couple more games I am sure we would all have been pretty close to panic mode. Just keep winning baby and the heck with the Braves.

36. Tcostant - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I'm happy to say I was able to e-mail my seats for someone to use. :)

37. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM

38. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM

WTG Tcostant!

39. Section 222 - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Ghost and JD — On Morse, if that's the case, then why did Morse say "my thumb's fine" and "you'll have to ask him [why Davey pinch hit for him]" after the game? If Morse was punished and Davey was giving him a cover story to avoid embarrassment, wouldn't he be more likely to say, "yeah, my thumb was bugging me a little, but it's fine."? I'm perplexed, but I tend to believe Davey – -Morse complained about the thumb to someone, Davey found out, and pulled him because he didn't want him hurting it more. Morse didn't want to come out, but Davey is stubborn.

40. JD - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Sec 222, But if it was a thumb or any other injury he would sit for a day or 2. no?

41. DCstylee - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I have to admit I have a man crush on JFlo

42. peric - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I wonder if Corey Brown got added?

43. ehay2k - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Tcostant, glad you found a taker for the tix. Dinner guests prevent my escape to the park tonight. Oh, and Great posts by each and every one of you! (Running, ducking)

44. MicheleS - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Peric. Twitter had Corey called up today.

45. MicheleS - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Definitely curious on how EJ does after last start. Praying the cubs bats go into a deep slumber for the rest of the series.

46. baseballswami - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:56 PM

And the Nats bats are loud and crazy!

47. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 4, 2012 at 10:12 PM

MicheleS, that's been my worry on pushing EJax in the last start.

48. Theophilus T. S. - Sep 4, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I don't think Wang is recalled; I think he is still on the DL. No reason for that to change; the Nats have no reason to see whether he can pitch next year (as if!) because no way will they waste any money signing him for another lost year.

49. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 4, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Key to beating Cubs is easy. Score first.

50. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 4, 2012 at 10:31 PM

And score a lot.

51. natsfan1a - Sep 4, 2012 at 10:32 PM

tcostant, great that you found someone to take you up on your kind offer.

52. MicheleS - Sep 4, 2012 at 10:45 PM

CMW has been activated of the DL. Goes to pen per Mark's tweet

53. NatsLady - Sep 4, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Tcostant Thanks so much for the offer, but I'm working. Sounds like good seats and the RIGHT price!!! Wish I could go…

54. rabbit34 - Sep 4, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Lannan and the Wang are on the way. I can see heavy bullpen usage in our future. Not a lot of "jammage" from those two, just a lot of "hittage".

55. Gonat - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… Bobby, like I said earlier, for some reason, Wang still has not been activated to the roster. Until then, he's a 40 man guy sitting on the bench and can't play.Word is he is the first guy leaving the clubhouse and gone before Davey has finished his post-game interview.If it was politics, I think the term would be "lame duck". September 04, 2012 5:16 PM _______________________________________Well they activated Wang. Curious timing why it was done today and not Sept 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

56. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Quick 1st inning for EJax. Check.

57. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Go Jayson

58. MicheleS - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:20 PM

IAN!!!

59. Gonat - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:20 PM

#2 spot filled nicely by some guy named Ian Desmond!

60. Gonat - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Morse nice swing. Thumb fine. Check. LOL

61. mick - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:23 PM

as Flounder said in Animal House… "Oh boy, this is great"lol

62. mick - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:24 PM

the Cubs must feel like Kevin Bacon… thank you sir may I have another

63. Gonat - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:29 PM

With LaRoche getting a running start at 1st on a 3-2 count can he score here on a triple?

64. Gonat - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:32 PM

I don't like the ump helping Rusin out of the strike zone.

65. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:33 PM

On pace for 16 runs 32 hits.

66. MicheleS - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Keith Olbermann gets good seats.

67. mick - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:39 PM

68. mick - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Michel… Keith is a die hard Yankee fan, I bet he is sweating it out now with the O's breathing down their necks.

69. mick - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Ejac…. looking goooood

70. MicheleS - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Mick.. Keith maybe a die hard yankee fan, but if you have watched his twitter account, I don't think he likes the Younger Steinbrenners.

71. mick - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Michele… that is very true

72. Gonat - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:44 PM

mick said… Gonat… I will say this now, while the Nats have been winning so it does not sound like I am being a poor loser… MLB umpires I feel have stunk this season, inconsistent strike zones, ego maniac umps who think the game is about them, and some umps just lazy and too old to be out there. September 04, 2012 7:39 PM ________________________________________It still ticks me off. The up and outside pitch to Castro was called a ball. That was the same pitch to TyMo for strike 2.

73. NatsFanJim - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Seeing Keith Olberman in the Presidential seats — please tell me this super jerk isn't a Nats fan.

74. MicheleS - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Okay.. JFLO!!! See all the positive vibes coming his way!

75. Gonat - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:46 PM

JFlo, hello & goodbye!

76. NatsFanJim - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Jesus — they gotta play you more man!!! Amazing what you can do when you're not Banged up!!!How do you say Tater in Spanish?

77. mick - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:46 PM

I agree GonatNatsFanJim…. Olbermann is a die hard Yankee fan

78. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Amazing when JFlo is your backup!

79. NatsFanJim - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Everybody hits!! Go Jax!

80. mick - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:47 PM

"Oh boy, this is great"

81. mick - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:47 PM

save the BP tonight

82. NatsFanJim - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Olberman: the quintessential Yankee fan, the ultimate Protypical yankee fan

83. MicheleS - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:48 PM

NatsFanJim… I think Keith is friends with Charlie Slowes. Plus he has that baseball nerd blog on MLB. Yankee fan since birth, so I don't think you have to worry.

84. NatsFanJim - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:48 PM

As FP says: "Keep the line moving."

85. Gonat - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Keith Olbermann is a top collector of historic sports memorabilia and has been a buyer of Nats items.

86. mick - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:49 PM

looking at some old photos from 1924, man was DC was excited about the Nats!

87. Gonat - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Anyone with some good "Werth sux" jokes? Hah!

88. NatsFanJim - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Thanks Michelle. My all time least favorite Announcer: the Stat Man, Slowes. They should be friends.Go Desi!!!

89. Candide - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Jesus, don't put your gear back on just yet… inning aunt aint over yet.

90. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Usually it's a good thing to get into the other team's bullpen. I'm thinking we want to keep this starting pitcher on the mound.

91. NatsFanJim - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Don't take your pitcher out Chicago!! Let him get his work in. tee hee

92. MicheleS - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:50 PM

So this was the first time I didn't pull any Cubs gear out of the boxes to wear this week. I was afraid my Dad's ghost would drop an anvil from the sky. So far no Anvil. Thinking Dad likes the Nats.

93. mick - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:50 PM

"Oh boy, this is GREEEEEEAAAAAAT"

94. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:50 PM

One mans jerk is another mans spokesman. Gotta love Keith

95. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Too late.

96. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:50 PM

That was BP

97. mick - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:51 PM

MicheleSyour poor Dad, he never saw his team in a WS, correct? Was he around for the 2003 famous, you know, lol

98. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Shouldve let him stay in against Zim as he K'd him in the 1st.

99. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Desi with a runner in 3rd, DEADLY!!!!

100. mick - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:52 PM

NatsJack in Florida said…One mans jerk is another mans spokesman. Gotta love KeithI'm with you on that, lol

101. Candide - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Ain't, not aunt or aint. Damn spell check…

102. ehay2k - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Quick break before dessert is served. I see we are crushing the ball. Bedroom TV is on, muted, and I see Call to the Bullpen already for the Cubs? Daaaaaang! Looks like Ejax pitching ok? He escaped the first with no runs, so probably good for at least seven innings. GYFNG!

103. NatsFanJim - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:54 PM

charley Slowes Demo:"And the tigers are pitching Joe Smith, Smith, 8-3, with a 3.20 ERA, giving up 42 hits, 5 doubles, 2 triples, {Ball one outside} … and 14 walks. Lefties are hitting .222 off Smith with 2 doubles, 1 triple, a homerun [Ball two on the inside} ... with 7 walks. Righthanders are hitting .322 off Smith with 3 doubles, 2 homeruns {basehit by Werth to center] … and a walk, meanwhile they A's pitcher, Jones, has an era and so on and so on and so onToo painful to listen to. Waaay to painful.

104. NatsFanJim - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Go deep Morse.

105. Nats Fan in Brazil - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Can somebody tell me what is GYFNG?

106. NatsFanJim - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:56 PM

upper deck shot coming for La Roche

107. NatsFanJim - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:56 PM

check out that gorgeous blond with the red blouse in the Presidentials — visible when righties are up. I gotta get me one of those seats.

108. NatsFanJim - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:57 PM

GYFNGGo, you Frikkin Nats, Go

109. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Down, boy.Brazil, GYFNG = Go You [Fricken] Nats GoThere are variations.

110. Nats Fan in Brazil - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Thanks NatsFanJim!

111. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:58 PM

GYFNG=GO YOU FRIGGIN NATS GO.

112. MicheleS - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Mick.. He saw them lose in 1945, then choke in 69, then blow it in 84/89, was thrilled in 98 until the Braves killed them (Hated them until his dying day) Saw 03 (thought that would do him in), then watched them get swept in 07/08. He was miserable

113. Nats Fan in Brazil - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Man u guys answer really fast!hahahha Thanks everybody!

114. MicheleS - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Byron Kerr just put up this nice piece on Charlie

115. MicheleS - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Brazil.. as you can see.. the "F" in GYFNG is up to your discretion ;-)

116. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:02 AM

It's pronounced Gwhy-FUNG, btw.Although the phonetics may change for Portuguese, I suppose. Hey, the Nats have at least 2 Brazilian fans. A far cry from the days when there were only 9,000, eh?

117. Sj - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Reading and tracking from Saudi Arabia….Nats r looking good!

118. Candide - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:05 AM

NFJ, do you think she would trouble herself to walk across the room to spit on your shoes?

119. Nats Fan in Brazil - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Sofa, would be pretty different in portuguese! Im curious to know who is the other one?

120. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Wow…a Saudi poster too. Welcome aboard Sj.

121. Nats Fan in Brazil - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Actually I feel pretty lucky, I started watching baseball last year and choose the Nats because they were closer to the city where I used to live( warrenton, VA) and now this season they are the best team in baseball! how great is that?

122. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:11 AM

So what's the over/under on Cubs pitchers tonight?

123. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Hey. Is somebody still writing down our 2012 draft picks? If so, if Tony Renda is available, that's who I want (until I see the pitchers next week in Fall Instructs).

124. Candide - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Ejax is a hitting machine.

125. Sj - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Thanks…not a Saudi…just working here temp. I'm from NoVa and should be in bed now…I went to bed with the Nats up 9 against the Braves and woke up to a rude shock…..don't want that again….

126. NatsFanJim - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Werth the Hitting machine

127. NatsFanJim - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Gotta admit, though: Cubbie pitchers are laying some FAT ones right in there Center Cut!

128. NatsFanJim - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Home plate seats would be ideal for a Saudi: it faces east (or rather North east)

129. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Brazil Go You F******Hard Go.Hope next year they figure out how to get Espi to swing and miss less.

130. MicheleS - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Eugene, I am guessing 6

131. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Pitchers best friend visits EJax.

132. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Edwin looks winded.

133. Sj - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:29 AM

True about East, but they would need it 5 times a day.

134. Swift Eagle - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:30 AM

I've Officially Seen Everything! A Pick Off!!

135. Sj - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Rockies beatin the Braves 1 to 0.

136. Gonat - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Eugene +6.5

137. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I think Flores might have signed to Jax to step off there, have to see it again.

138. MicheleS - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Typical cubs brain fart

139. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:32 AM

FP thinks the bench called a Hold.

140. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Put some more pressure on the Cubs (in the form of runs), which will put some more pressure on the Braves (who must be doing some scoreboard watching).

141. Swift Eagle - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:32 AM

What's next, a bunt hit from LaRoche v. The Shift?

142. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Gonat: I'm going with 9.5. And I'll take the over.

143. Nats Fan in Brazil - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:34 AM

He actually already got one swift!I just cant remember the game

144. Swift Eagle - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Well, it was Oppo!!!!

145. MicheleS - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:37 AM

ALR!!! Bombs away!

146. Swift Eagle - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:37 AM

The Legion of BOOM has arrived tonight…

147. Sj - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:37 AM

No bunt Swifty!!!!

148. MicheleS - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:38 AM

ESPI..starting to swing it from the left side again!!!

149. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Nice long inning to let EJax catch up on his gatorade would be nice.Hmmmm. Zim flies to the track again. FP says he hit it near the label, but it looked like he got it, on the DVR.Whereas LaRoche definitely barrels there.

150. Swift Eagle - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:38 AM

You still want at least 10 runs right Eugene?

151. Candide - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Seems like just yesterday that Mike Rizzo was the village idiot's stupider brother for signing LaWhoosh and Werth-less.I wonder if they're the same people who think he's the village idiot's stupider brother for shutting down SS.

152. MicheleS - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:40 AM

I love how Carp is watching the scoreboard in ATLANTA..and TYLER!Yes this is great!

153. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:40 AM

and Ty Mo…

154. Sj - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Rockies up 2….

155. Gonat - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:40 AM

TyMo just brought rain!

156. Nats Fan in Brazil - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:41 AM

TyMo ball just arrived down here! What a BOMB!

157. Gonat - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Goon squad making the best of their starts!

158. Swift Eagle - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:42 AM

BOOM Goes Tyler! Bryce who? Lol

159. Gonat - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Call the Bomb Squad!

160. Nats Fan in Brazil - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Maybe Davey should put Perez and Brown in the OF like in the 6?

161. MicheleS - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Eugene, you are probably right on the +9.5

162. Gonat - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:45 AM

The Legion of BOOM!!!!

163. Swift Eagle - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:45 AM

I knew it! Confirmed at 8:33pm that Eugene always takes the over…

164. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Swift Eagle: 10 is good. Of course, 11 is better.

165. Gonat - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Barves fans looking at the scoreboard in disbelief.

166. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Gonat: That's the idea.

167. Sj - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Which board, GoNat? Theirs or ours!!!

168. Swift Eagle - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Man, wouldn't be great to play these guys 18 times a year like the Reds and Cards do? Not to mention Hou and Mil….Even the worst team in the NL East has David Wright and the Likely Cy Young winner….

169. Candide - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Just to let y'all know – I'm scheduled to pitch the top of the ninth for the Cubs.

170. Swift Eagle - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Haha, Candide I heard the peanut vender from Sec 127 was coming in for the 8th…Sidearm guy

171. Gonat - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Sj said… Which board, GoNat? Theirs or ours!!! September 04, 2012 8:49 PM ________________________________Both, and 2011 is fresh in their minds.

172. Candide - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Cubs strategy is to let us get out to a 10-1 lead, at which point we put in all our callups. Then the Cubbies come roaring back.That's the plan, anyway…

173. Gonat - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Kind of wish they preserved the nice game EJax had on the board and brought in Duke.The laugher is now a semi-close game again. 8-4

174. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:22 AM

So I started looking for "Legion of Boom" tee shirts, got distracted, and wound up reading an old 2008 post, with another reality check of what's changed and what hasn't in four years, on several fronts. Only if you're really bored, or were a regular in the days of the Blogfather.

175. Gonat - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Christain Garcia!

176. feelanau - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Switched over to MLB and caught update of our game. Vasgergian et al VERY critical of Tyler's bat toss on home run. Anyone else notice the shift in their coverage of the Nats from darlings to finding something negative to say? Listened to mlb radio the other day — it was ridiculous. Everything they said about Nats was either flatly incorrect or stirring the pot. Jerks

177. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:23 AM

That may be one of the few times you'll ever see somebody get criticized for dogging it on a triple. Harper would have been around and back at first again, Alfonso.

178. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:24 AM

That's too bad for Mr. Jackson. Would have been nice to finish six and then get a rest (with a bigger lead).

179. Candide - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:24 AM

I remember posting here last year during a game that the Nats led the Cubs 8-0, and remarking that, "Well, THIS game is over…" And then the Cubs came back to win.GYFNG – this is an AAAA team you're playing against!

180. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Ooooh, I LIKE this Garcia's first fastball.

181. Gonat - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Christian Garcia, welcome home! Nice job kid!

182. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:27 AM

And he wanted to handle that popup himself. I like this guy.

183. Gonat - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Candide, Alfonso Soriano, Anthony Rizzo, Starlin Castro and Barney the Purple Dinosaur are far from AAAA.

184. Gonat - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Nats need to score a few more. I don't like the 4 run lead.

185. Swift Eagle - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:29 AM

BOOM goes the Z-Man….

186. Gonat - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:30 AM

I like that! Zim gets in on the party!

187. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:30 AM

feelanau: They just showed a replay of Tyler Moore's HR and I didn't see anything about his 'bat toss' to criticize. Anyone see something I didn't?

188. Candide - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:31 AM

I'll give you those four, Gonat. How about the rest?

189. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Vasgergian et al VERY critical of Tyler's bat toss on home run. Wait a minnit–WHAT bat toss?? He dropped it at the end of his swing, he didn't toss it at all. Yeah, he knew he got it, but geez, it was, like, 15 rows deep and 200 feet up. That's just crazy talk.And you can tell him I said so.

190. Nats Fan in Brazil - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:32 AM

191. Gonat - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Rockies score again!

192. Swift Eagle - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:33 AM

If they were banging on Tyler, what did they say when Soriano started his trot on a ball that didn't even get out of the park?Let me guess, nothing…

193. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Brazil: Exactly.

194. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Distinctly possible, Brazil.

195. Candide - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:34 AM

I think FP and Carp are a little too impressed with the Nats hitting tonight. It's not like they're facing Sandy Koufax out there.

196. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Rockies score again (on a wild pitch).

197. Gonat - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:39 AM

198. Gonat - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Nats Fan in Brazil said… Do u guys think that there is any relation between E-jax getting tired and not been able to finish the sixth with his high pitch count last friday? September 04, 2012 9:32 PM ___________________________________Absolutely. He looked winded early. I'm not sure why Davey didn't pull him at the end of the 5th but I guess Davey was looking at pitch count and his velo which was fine.

199. MicheleS - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Harper must have been bugging Davey to hit against the cubs.And if GORZO gives up a run,there will be cursing on this blog.