Sep 5, 2012, 4:47 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Adam LaRoche clubbed two of the Nationals’ six home runs.
All year they’ve seen their pitching staff lauded for dominant performances and lifting them to the best record in the sport. And all the while, members of the Nationals lineup have wanted to let everyone know they’re perfectly capable of winning a game by themselves.
“This is something we were thinking about in spring training,” first baseman Adam LaRoche said. “We knew we were capable of doing it. Unfortunately, we had some injuries and some streakiness this year. But we haven’t had a six, seven-game outburst like this where we go out and score 18 runs. It’s nice. We owe the starting pitchers for what they did the first couple months.”
Consider the favor returned after Tuesday night’s offensive explosion against a beleaguered Cubs pitching staff. Behind 19 hits — six of them homers — the Nationals muscled their way to an 11-5 victory that felt even more lopsided.
They’re 31 games over .500 again, matching their high-water mark of the year. They’ve scored at least eight runs in five of their last seven games. And coupled with the Braves’ 6-0 loss to the Rockies, the Nationals found themselves at night’s end owning a season-high, 7 1/2-game lead over Atlanta with 27 left on the schedule.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason