Sep 5, 2012, 4:47 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Adam LaRoche clubbed two of the Nationals’ six home runs.
All year they’ve seen their pitching staff lauded for dominant performances and lifting them to the best record in the sport. And all the while, members of the Nationals lineup have wanted to let everyone know they’re perfectly capable of winning a game by themselves.
“This is something we were thinking about in spring training,” first baseman Adam LaRoche said. “We knew we were capable of doing it. Unfortunately, we had some injuries and some streakiness this year. But we haven’t had a six, seven-game outburst like this where we go out and score 18 runs. It’s nice. We owe the starting pitchers for what they did the first couple months.”
Consider the favor returned after Tuesday night’s offensive explosion against a beleaguered Cubs pitching staff. Behind 19 hits — six of them homers — the Nationals muscled their way to an 11-5 victory that felt even more lopsided.
They’re 31 games over .500 again, matching their high-water mark of the year. They’ve scored at least eight runs in five of their last seven games. And coupled with the Braves’ 6-0 loss to the Rockies, the Nationals found themselves at night’s end owning a season-high, 7 1/2-game lead over Atlanta with 27 left on the schedule.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game