Sep 5, 2012, 4:47 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Adam LaRoche clubbed two of the Nationals’ six home runs.
All year they’ve seen their pitching staff lauded for dominant performances and lifting them to the best record in the sport. And all the while, members of the Nationals lineup have wanted to let everyone know they’re perfectly capable of winning a game by themselves.
“This is something we were thinking about in spring training,” first baseman Adam LaRoche said. “We knew we were capable of doing it. Unfortunately, we had some injuries and some streakiness this year. But we haven’t had a six, seven-game outburst like this where we go out and score 18 runs. It’s nice. We owe the starting pitchers for what they did the first couple months.”
Consider the favor returned after Tuesday night’s offensive explosion against a beleaguered Cubs pitching staff. Behind 19 hits — six of them homers — the Nationals muscled their way to an 11-5 victory that felt even more lopsided.
They’re 31 games over .500 again, matching their high-water mark of the year. They’ve scored at least eight runs in five of their last seven games. And coupled with the Braves’ 6-0 loss to the Rockies, the Nationals found themselves at night’s end owning a season-high, 7 1/2-game lead over Atlanta with 27 left on the schedule.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- Ranking all 30 MLB ballparks
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury