Game 136: Cubs at Nats

Sep 5, 2012, 7:46 PM EST

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Gio Gonzalez seeks his league-leading 18th win tonight at Nationals Park.

In his quest to try to keep everyone from his lineup fresh, Davey Johnson last night sat Bryce Harper and tonight will sit Jayson Werth. The reasons are twofold: Johnson both wants to give some of his regulars a respite as they approach the stretch run, and he also wants to find ways to give at-bats to bench players who have contributed all season.

Last night, that meant a start in left field for Tyler Moore (who proceeded to hit a moonshot into the left-field stands for his eighth homer). Tonight, that means a start in center field for Roger Bernadina, who will also lead off.

Gio Gonzalez, meanwhile, takes the mound in search of his 18th win of the season. He's currently one of four big leaguers sitting on 17, along with R.A. Dickey (who is in line to win this afternoon), Johnny Cueto and David Price.

Updates to come, so please check back…

CHICAGO CUBS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Chance of storms, 83 degrees, Wind 7 mph out to RF

CF Roger Bernadina
RF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

Read more ยป

1. Les_in_NC - Sep 5, 2012 at 8:10 PM

We may lose the OBP of Werth in the lead off spot, but Berny has proven that his bat can be just as potent as anyone else in the lineup. Man! What a great feeling knowing that we have bench players that aren't automatic outs like in years past. I freakin' love this team, and this season!GYFNG!

2. Another_Sam - Sep 5, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Regarding the attendance last night — earlier thread. It's very hard for me to get to a night game during the work week. [I've not been to any.] but I love those weekday getaway games.

3. sjm308 - Sep 5, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I supported giving all of our starters a game off just a couple of posts ago and it was not well received. I will be looking for Ian and Danny to also get a day in the near future as Lombo needs to stay sharp as well. Werth is healthy and can come off the bench in late innings. This is a complete team with decent if not very good depth (how did Moore work out for you guys yesterday??) Flores has benefited from days off, Bryce responded well off the bench and Davey continues to push all the right buttons. Burnett is now resting and expect Storen to get an actual save situation in the future.Go Nats!! Go Playoffs!! Score First!!

4. sjm308 - Sep 5, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Off to sec 310 tonight!! Love the red carpet rewards even though they will be cut back next year.I figure my son and I have seen an additional 12 games this season. Tonight is step-daughter time.

5. Section 222 - Sep 5, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Someone noted this a few days ago, but I just checked out Mark's 2012 Media Predictions post from April 5. Pretty darn funny. So much ridicule of Bill Ladson for picking Desi for the All Star game. And the highest beat writer win prediction was Pete Kertzel with 88.Commenters named jeeves and Ray predicted 91 wins, that's the highest predictions I saw. A guy named Natsochist predicted Harper would come up on May 14 and hit 18 HRs. Jeeves said early May and 18. No one else was that optimistic, except for Dan! who predicted 22. (The highest beat writer prediction was 13.) If you're still out there, you guys should come take some bows! http://www.natsinsider.com/2012/04/2012-media-predictions.html

6. sm13 - Sep 5, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I'd lile to see Lombo get a chance to lead off when JW gets a break

7. Nats In Athens - Sep 5, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Taking a cue from Mark's previous thread and a revisit to the April 5 article, I will make a prediction that the Nats will win 3 to 7 more games next year (depending on this year's total) than they will this year as Strasburg gets better, Detwiler matures and the rookie parade become sophomores.

8. Gonat - Sep 5, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Section 222, there were plenty of predictions made before and after that piece was written.The biggest differences I see is the play of LaRoche, Desmond Werth and Bryce's impact from May to June 15th. It has been those 4 playing well beyond most anyone's conceivable level of play except maybe LaRoche who is trending slightly above career highs.Read the LaRoche comments on the in-game thread as the 1st game in Chicago unfolded plus the Werth comments and the Desi hate filled comments about his High School coach working with him on hitting.It just amazes me how much hatred was thrown at these guys.

9. mick - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Doc and Eddie …. thank you!

10. mick - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:09 PM

11. mick - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Thought of an interesting question for post season… did Davey play his bench in post season in 1986 Mets and 1996-97 O's as he does with Nats in regular season? I can not remember in 1986 if he did, however, in 1997, it seemed that he played his bench very little. I could be wrong, does any one remember?

12. Section 222 - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Gonat — I checked it out, and yeah, some folks were pretty vicious on that windy afternoon in Chicago. Here's one by one Anon that is just funny:I can't believe Laroche is still here. He is awful. Hes already stranded five men with only one out. I am already boooooooored as hell with this team. going to cut grass.If he stopped watching the Nats altogether after six innings of the first game, he's missed quite a ride eh?

13. mick - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I may be alone here…. but I think Nats attendance is outstanding. Being 14 of 28 teams and 1.9 million fans attending is a big deal. Monday night, 1st day of school, Michelle speaking all contributed to only 17,000, which is not bad for a Monday night.

14. Gonat - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I hope Bernadina can make leadoff work. I wish Davey put Harp 1st and Bernie 2nd. Something mental with Bernie in the #1

15. NCNatsie - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:40 PM

The odd thing about the ST and early season criticism of Desi was that he had signalled his improvement with his late surge last year. Some simply chose to disregard this, in spite of several posters (including me) pointing it out.Harsh juddgments on the other three were wrong, but to some extent justified. Werth did have a lousy year in 2011; LaRoche's recovery from his injury was not a sure thing. In fact both of them are on pace to have career years, something no one can be expected to predict, especially those who tie their opinions to statistics from the past. And as for Harper, seriously, who knew? So let us revel in the achievers and their achievements, forgive those whose glass-half-empty nature caused them to doubt, and move onward and upward toward a glorious finish to this glorious season.

16. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:40 PM

222: Great link. Baseball, with all its stats and our feeble human efforts to impose order on randomness, lends itself to such very specific predictions (e.g., X number of HRs, Y games won, Z strikeouts). But when you read through that thread, you realize how impossible it is to foresee (or even recognize) developments like injuries, hot streaks, getting a new pair of glasses, slumps, putting in some extra work on a particular weakness, rediscovering a particular motion, etc. can be. Which is why, as they say, you play the game.More generally, here's to Gio Gonzalez and company taking the Cubs seriously, focussing on the game at hand, and putting some real (and continuous) pressure on from the opening pitch. GYFNG!P.S. – Just received two new Nats hats that I ordered, but — to be sure — I wouldn't dream of wearing either just yet (you know what I mean, I'm sure).

17. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:41 PM

You know my theory of beating Cubs score early and they can't over come

18. Steady Eddie - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Interesting tweet from Amanda that Davey saiid it's "conceivable" that CMW could get a start this month against a mainly RH lineup.Translation: if we clinch the division, after we clinch the division, and It helps set up the rotation for the playoffs without depriving Lannan of a start, or one of the regular starters from a chance at a round- number win.

19. Candide - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Since Davey can't really give starting pitchers a night off, at least not until we've clinched the best record in the NL, I'm hoping he has a quick hook for Gio tonight. Remember he pitched the first complete game of his life this past Friday; Davey should be ready to pounce the moment he thinks Gio's starting to flag.

20. Candide - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Eugene in Oregon said…P.S. – Just received two new Nats hats that I ordered, but — to be sure — I wouldn't dream of wearing either just yet (you know what I mean, I'm sure).Cunegonde and I are still waiting on the red jerseys we ordered from China about 10 days ago.

21. MicheleS - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Did Cunegonde order the Zimmerman jersey?GO GIO!

22. natsfan1a - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM

I don't do predictions, as y'all know, but well said re. those who do, Natsie and Eugene.And I'm with Another Sam on weekday games. Once in a while I can get to a day game during the week, but the night games are a no-go for the most part.

23. Candide - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM

She originally ordered the Harper jersey, but they were out of stock, so she switched to the Werth.I ordered the Zimm.

24. mick - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Steady Eddie said…Translation: if we clinch the division, after we clinch the division, and It helps set up the rotation for the playoffs without depriving Lannan of a start, or one of the regular starters from a chance at a round- number win.Interesting Eddie…. along that line, does clinch division include clinching best NL record? Meaning, how much of a priority is it to have the best overall record?

25. natsfan1a - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Are those the ones with nifty star logo? :-)On a game note: go, GIO! Go, NATS BATS!!Cunegonde and I are still waiting on the red jerseys we ordered from China about 10 days ago.

26. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Well said, well said one and all. Gwai Fung!

27. mick - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:33 PM

agreed sofa… btw… the bigger the headache, the bigger the pill, now how bout that for old funk, lol

28. djinFl. - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:34 PM

2013 schedule has NL East vs AL Central + 4 vs. O's

29. mick - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:35 PM

dj cool as of now AL central is the weakest in MLB

30. natsfan1a - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:36 PM

31. mick - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:37 PM

natsfan1a God love ya!!!!!

32. natsfan1a - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:37 PM

33. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Candide, do they have yellow Nats jerseys with Gio's name and number? I want one of those.

34. natsfan1a - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Thought you might like that musical link, Mick. :-) Took it down in case it might be considered NSFW.

35. mick - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:40 PM

natsfan1anot at all, tell you what, George Clinton was and still is the man!!

36. Candide - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:41 PM

37. natsfan1a - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Personally, I think it's funkalicious. :-)

38. mick - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:41 PM

lolololo

39. natsfan1a - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Maybe it's for the media – talk to the hand? :-)What's with the artificial hand sitting in the back of Espinosa's locker (when he was being interviewed in the pregame show).

40. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:42 PM

the bigger the headache, the bigger the pill, now how bout that for old funkGood night for Clinton quotes, Mick!

41. Candide - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:59 PM

@ MicheleS – correction – she originally ordered the Werth, but switched to Strasburg.@ Section 3 – YELLOW jerseys? I know not what ye speak of. They DO have Gio jerseys in the standard home white, red, and holiday-blue colors, though.Here's a link: http://jerseys.bz/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=502_573Note – it's been about ten days and we're still waiting. I'm sure they'll get here eventually, but overnight FedEx or UPS delivery isn't an option from China. They evidently ship via some outfit called EMS, which, near as I can tell, is some Chinese government shipping service. When last seen, our jerseys were in Shanghai on August 26, with status being "despatch from sorting center." Once it leaves China, I suspect EMS has no idea where it is.

42. Theophilus T. S. - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:00 PM

If the object was to give Werth a rest, it would have made more sense to wait for the Sunday game w/ the Marlins, which would give him Saturday night, all of Sunday, the travel time and most of Monday off. I hope they adopt the practice of sending the starters of the series openers ahead a day in advance to be optimally rested.

43. Candide - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:02 PM

natsfan1a – the red jerseys are the usual red ones with the white curly W.

44. natsfan1a - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Thanks, Candide.

45. MicheleS - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Candide, so she likes the Beard… I have the Werth Jersey (got it at Spring Training 2 years ago)..

46. MicheleS - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Theo.. Werth's numbers vs Volstad.. not good.

47. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:11 PM

8 Pitch first inning.

48. Steady Eddie - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Theo — I suspect Werth 3 for 33, .081 BA vs Volstad might have something to do with his sitting to nght.mick — re whether Davey means "win division" or "best NL record" beats me. My parsing skills for hat only go so far ,-)!

49. Gonat - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Steady Eddie, there you go!

50. Gonat - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Bernadina is doing a great job of stealing.

51. Candide - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Steady Eddie – 3 for 33 = .090.Still a good reason to sit.

52. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Adam Cool comes thru again.

53. MicheleS - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Manassas @ 5:41Wise poster…Good for ALR.. another RBI.

54. Candide - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Gotta correct myself – 3 for 33 = .0909 = .091.Still stinks.

55. ehay2k - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:21 PM

How do you spell RBI? A – L – R !

56. Gonat - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:21 PM

That's 2 days in a row LaRoche has peppered that 4-6 hole just to the right of 2nd base and beating that shift. Of course his HRs always beat the shift.

57. MicheleS - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:23 PM

OOH.. I like that Shark swimming in a circle starts at home, ends at home.. Good on FP.

58. Candide - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Desmond has to hide his mouth while saying something that the ump finds hilarious. Hmmm.

59. ehay2k - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Really want to know what Desi said to Vanover. can someone send Akra over to ask?

60. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Wondered what Desmond told Vanover

61. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:34 PM

djinFl,Thanks for the tip about the 2013 schedule beginning to leak. I went to a couple of articles, most of which focus on the inter-league aspect (seems it will be roughly the same number of inter-league games as in recent seasons). I was more interested in whether the 15-15 realignment would lead to revisiting the unbalanced own-league schedules. No mention that I could find (in several articles), so apparently not. Too bad, in my opinion.

62. Old Wino - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Gotta love itGo Nats!

63. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Desi first error in a while. Not sure why he rushed.

64. Gonat - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Not good. E-6 and immediately Gio is out of his rhythm but luckily gets Barney after going 3-0.

65. djinFl. - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Eugene, here is the article from the LA Times. They have more info.http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-0905-dodgers-angels-schedule-20120905,0,2778571.story

66. snopes1 - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:46 PM

>It's also worth noting that the Nats do NOT count as paid attendance Red >Carpet Rewards or other free ticket giveaways. (I've confirmed this with my >Nats rep.) Section 222 -Sorry for the late response on this, but I just saw this from earlier in the day. For what it's worth, there was an online discussion with one of the reporters from Baseball Prospectus earlier this year. He said that he had called MLB and and asked them if bonus tickets like Red Carpet Rewards were counted toward paid attendance and he was told they ARE counted.He said he was told any kind of ticket for which money changed hands, like a two-for-one sale or a bonus program like Red Carpet Rewards, counts toward paid attendance. Purely complimentary tickets that are given away with no charge at all do not count as paid attendance.Obviously, I don't know whether the Nats rep you talked to or the MLB rep the Baseball Prospectus reporter talked to is right. However, there does appear to be a disagreement on this issue.

67. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:51 PM

And that's pressure.

68. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:52 PM

And that's pressure, squared.

69. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Gotta love the Shark!

70. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:52 PM

What that a shark sighting? In this humidity?Davey pushing all the right buttons. Again.And the Kid follows!

71. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:52 PM

And then there's Bryce!

72. MicheleS - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Back to BACK!

73. ehay2k - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Man, we are crushing Cubs' pitching. Bryce hits one for his dad. cool.

74. MicheleS - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Bryce is tied with Ken Griffey JR for 19 year olds with HRs… And Mom and Dad are in town,

75. Smatt1001 - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Back to Back and then Zimm on with a single. I hope the bats can just pile it on!

76. Candide - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Poor Cunegonde is tired, not feeling well, flying to Dallas tomorrow, needs to pack. How is she supposed to leave watching the game with the Nats punishing the ball and Gio throwing a no-no?

77. MicheleS - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:55 PM

ALR.. BOOM!

78. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Pressure cubed, anybody?

79. MicheleS - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Adam looks like he is about to lap Ryan! LOL!

80. ehay2k - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:55 PM

81. djinFl. - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Was that a groan I just heard from north Georgia

82. MicheleS - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Candide.. let Cunegonde know she can SLEEP on the plane!

83. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:56 PM

See why I want a more balanced schedule?

84. Smatt1001 - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Home Run City!! LaRoche does it again!

85. ehay2k - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:57 PM

On the bright side, the Cubs really get to check out their bullpen callups during this series.

86. ehay2k - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:59 PM

If Desi is obtuse with his swing he will get an acute tear of his oblique.

87. djinFl. - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM

This series is definely proving your point Eugene.

88. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Revisiting comments from earlier in the season, Mr. Espinosa really is a slacker. The only left-handed batter this inning not to hit a home run. Geez.

89. Sj - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Man….why can't I be Stateside now…next week can't come soon enough!

90. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:01 AM

where's that guy that keeps saying "we need more bats!"?

91. ehay2k - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:04 AM

We need more Cubs!

92. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Not only is hitting contagious, it sure is fun to watch.

93. djinFl. - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Your right NJIt just makes you want to poke at somebody.

94. MicheleS - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:26 AM

I like games like this. This explains the Reds record.

95. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Can't poke tonite. The trolls are no where to be found.

96. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Dale Sveum has seen enough. Can't say I blame him. His team is doing a great impression of the 2008 Washington Nationals.

97. MicheleS - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:29 AM

NJ.. they moved over to the Cubs Insider. Easy pickings.

98. ehay2k - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:29 AM

NatsJack, please do not summon them. ;-)

99. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I know there's a whole bunch of them on the Braves sites.

100. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:34 AM

NatsJack@8:31: Oh yes. I've scrolled around over there a bit and some of those comments were eerily familiar.

101. ehay2k - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:35 AM

I'm sure they just copy and paste comments from baseballtrolls.com

102. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:36 AM

That's what I do for fun. The Phillies sites are the most fun.

103. MicheleS - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Can you imagine what the Red Sox and Yankees sites are like?

104. ehay2k - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:38 AM

I post very hopeful messages on the Philthies' sites. That really burns them.

105. ehay2k - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:39 AM

micheles – I can't afford the fees to post on their sites. (I assume they charge, 'cuz their fans will PAY!)

106. ehay2k - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:40 AM

dang that Carp! Blew the no-no.

107. Sj - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Oh well…there goes the no hitter….

108. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:44 AM

It's good that he gave up the hit. Now he can sit down after 7 innings or 100 pitches, whatever comes first.

109. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Ian Desmond may have breathed a (hidden) sigh relief.

110. Sj - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:47 AM

NatsJack…ur right. No need to wear him down.

111. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:47 AM

He's only at 69 pitches thru 6. If he stays efficient, Davey may let him go.

112. MicheleS - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:50 AM

BAM BAM upper DECK!

113. MicheleS - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Just passed Griffey JR.

114. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Can Mr. and Mrs. Harper come to more games, please?

115. MicheleS - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Wait.. Where is Mama Gonzalez?

116. ehay2k - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Papa Harper must be so proud. If he continues at this pace, Bryce will have over 60 HR this year.And by "at this pace" I mean 2 HR per game. It's an election year, so I am conditioned to cherry-picking stats. ;-)

117. MicheleS - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Just saw Loverro tweeted that Bryce will be on ESPN 980 at 1:15 tomorrow..

118. Candide - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:03 AM

So I go upstairs to get my wallet just as Harper's stepping up to the plate; need my credit card to complete purchase of ticket for tomorrow's game.Get back downstairs to see him high-fiving in the dugout.(…smacks head on keyboard…)

119. MicheleS - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Candide, can you leave again in the bottom of the 7th? I want to see another Dinger.

120. Candide - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Sure, MicheleS. Just PayPal me $100 and your wish is my command.

121. MicheleS - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Candide, where is your Natitude? Can't you sacrifice for the team?

122. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Is it just me, or is "Blake Parker" a good name for a superhero's human alter ego?

123. mick - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:19 AM

how bout Gio!!

124. MicheleS - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Thanks Candide!!!!

125. mick - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:20 AM

DESI ba ba loooooolol

126. mick - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:21 AM

sofa you mean Peter Parker, lol

127. MicheleS - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Back to Back! Ian and ESPI!!!

128. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Now, Mr. Espinosa, that's the right approach. No more slacker doubles.

129. mick - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:21 AM

OMG this is GREAT!!!!

130. Candide - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:22 AM

De nada, MicheleS.(FWIW, I watched both of them go out.)

131. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Oppo-boppo squared!

132. Nats Fan in Brazil - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:23 AM

If we played in The nl central, we would be beterr then The 1927 yankees

133. djinFl. - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:23 AM

I want what they are eating for breakfast.

134. mick - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Gio 18 wins…. i remember Dick Bosman in 1971 was 16-12 or was it 1970…. oh shut up Mick

135. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Having trouble with MLB.tv. Any more HRs?

136. Steady Eddie - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Nah mick, just go with the moment and enjoy! Life doesn't give you that many moments like this….

137. ehay2k - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Candide, I think there is someone at your door…

138. mick - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:27 AM

i sense a land shark attack lurking……..

139. mick - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:29 AM

thank you eddie..ehay2k candy gram….. lol

140. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:31 AM

MLB.tv all messed up (at least on my computer), but saw most of Mr. Harper's AB. Loved the fact that he didn't go for a pitch out of the zone just to have a chance at a three HR game. That's almost as impressive as the two HRs he already has.

141. ehay2k - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:31 AM

mick – didn't the land sharks also say he was a Jehova's Witness?

142. mick - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:32 AM

ehay2k olololo

143. Scott Margenau - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:33 AM

I am on dvr— just caught up to live. OMG !!!!!!! GYFNG!

144. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:37 AM

The new Cubs pitchers is NOT going to give up another HR.

145. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:39 AM

has any teenagers ever hit 3 home runs in a game?

146. Candide - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Faraz – Carp and FP say it's never been done. Al Kaline did it at 20.

147. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:42 AM

what a lousy team! only 1 for 9 with RISP.

148. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:45 AM

thanks Candide. Would be awesome if Harper does it at some point before season ends.

149. Candide - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Just shows you how misleading statistics can be. Did you hear about the guy who drowned in a lake with an average depth of six inches?

150. NatsFanJim - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:46 AM

I have never seen anything like this — ever. I am stunned. The best team in baseball is actually getting better — alot better!!!and to think I used to root for the old Senators — this is a real kick.

151. NatsFanJim - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Garcia, our new relief pitcher who got one out last night is absolutely awesome.Another potentially dominate reliever — it just keep getting better.

152. Swift Eagle - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:51 AM

I know I'm late to the party..but I see there's been a a return engagement of the Legion of BOOM!!!If we played the Cubs 18 times a year the '27 Yankees would be in trouble…

153. NatsLady - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Was working—did I mess anything? That website has pretty good prices for jerseys…

154. hmm... - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:52 AM

djinFl. said…I want what they are eating for breakfast.Lunch

155. NatsLady - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:53 AM

I mean, did I miss anything?

156. Swift Eagle - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Maybe they took finally took Mark's advice and really did go with "Cortisone Shots All-Around"…

157. waddu eye no - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:56 AM

natslady :nah. same as last nite

158. Swift Eagle - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Only 9 runs, I'm sure Eugene is looking for more pressure…They better push across #10 soon…

159. Candide - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:57 AM

NatsLady said…I mean, did I miss anything?Nahhh. Nothing to see here. Might as well go to bed.

160. NatsLady - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Did FP just basically tell Carp he doesn't know what he's talking about?

161. NatsLady - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Are the Cubs that bad, or the Nats that good?

162. Swift Eagle - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Yes x 2

163. waddu eye no - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Did FP just basically tell Carp he doesn't know what he's talking about?finally

164. NatsLady - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Musta been some team meeting Davey held.

165. Gonat - Sep 6, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Darn Barves

166. NatsLady - Sep 6, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Shark!!!!!!!! Look at that smile!!!!!!!!!!!!!

167. Swift Eagle - Sep 6, 2012 at 2:04 AM

NatsLady…I'm starting to think the Rizzo/Davey shouting match was an act…The meeting led to a "win one for the old man" players meeting and everything's been great since….

168. NatsLady - Sep 6, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Eagle, I said that at the time. It just seemed staged to me (old actress that I am).

169. NatsLady - Sep 6, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Aw. There goes the shutout…

170. Swift Eagle - Sep 6, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Yes, I remember it was you who made me think that…Love it when a plan comes together…

171. Nats Fan in Brazil - Sep 6, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Can u guys explain To me,why stammen in this situation? Why not let him rest, and pitch duke or Garcia?

172. MicheleS - Sep 6, 2012 at 2:07 AM

WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO.. What a thrashing! Get the sweep tomorrow.!

173. Scott Margenau - Sep 6, 2012 at 2:07 AM

84. Wow

174. NatsLady - Sep 6, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Brazil, I think Garcia pitched before he came up and then last night. Probably Davey didn't want him to go three days in a roe.

175. Nats Fan in Brazil - Sep 6, 2012 at 2:10 AM

That makes sense NL, but still Craig has a lot of I this year

176. NatsLady - Sep 6, 2012 at 2:10 AM

ooooops, row. Too many HR's, I'm tired out.

177. Candide - Sep 6, 2012 at 2:13 AM

This is what great teams are supposed to do. Play the good teams tough, and beat the crap out of the bad ones.

178. NatsLady - Sep 6, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Brazil: Yes, he does. But I noticed that since we are in the final stages, Davey DOES NOT LIKE TO LOSE GAMES! All that "teaching" has gone by the wayside… He is going for the kill.

179. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 6, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Also, his first priority is to keep the regular guys sharp, and that means pitching frequently.