Sep 5, 2012, 7:46 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Gio Gonzalez seeks his league-leading 18th win tonight at Nationals Park.
In his quest to try to keep everyone from his lineup fresh, Davey Johnson last night sat Bryce Harper and tonight will sit Jayson Werth. The reasons are twofold: Johnson both wants to give some of his regulars a respite as they approach the stretch run, and he also wants to find ways to give at-bats to bench players who have contributed all season.
Last night, that meant a start in left field for Tyler Moore (who proceeded to hit a moonshot into the left-field stands for his eighth homer). Tonight, that means a start in center field for Roger Bernadina, who will also lead off.
Gio Gonzalez, meanwhile, takes the mound in search of his 18th win of the season. He's currently one of four big leaguers sitting on 17, along with R.A. Dickey (who is in line to win this afternoon), Johnny Cueto and David Price.
Updates to come, so please check back…
CHICAGO CUBS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Chance of storms, 83 degrees, Wind 7 mph out to RF
CF Roger Bernadina
RF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats set franchise record for futility with RISP
- Instant analysis: Padres 4, Nats 3 (12)
- Injury updates on Gio Gonzalez, Doug Fister & Scott Hairston
- Nationals host Padres in first of four-game series
- MLB Power Rankings: Rangers moving up the ladder
- Deconstructing the Nationals' game-winning rally
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston