Sep 5, 2012, 7:46 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Gio Gonzalez seeks his league-leading 18th win tonight at Nationals Park.
In his quest to try to keep everyone from his lineup fresh, Davey Johnson last night sat Bryce Harper and tonight will sit Jayson Werth. The reasons are twofold: Johnson both wants to give some of his regulars a respite as they approach the stretch run, and he also wants to find ways to give at-bats to bench players who have contributed all season.
Last night, that meant a start in left field for Tyler Moore (who proceeded to hit a moonshot into the left-field stands for his eighth homer). Tonight, that means a start in center field for Roger Bernadina, who will also lead off.
Gio Gonzalez, meanwhile, takes the mound in search of his 18th win of the season. He's currently one of four big leaguers sitting on 17, along with R.A. Dickey (who is in line to win this afternoon), Johnny Cueto and David Price.
Updates to come, so please check back…
CHICAGO CUBS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Chance of storms, 83 degrees, Wind 7 mph out to RF
CF Roger Bernadina
RF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Is this a preview of Nats' Opening Day lineup?
- Rendon will begin season on DL with sprained MCL
- Frandsen released, Gwynn Jr. sent to minors
- Johnson, den Dekker adjust quickly to Nats
- Blevins' awkward 24 hours ends with K of Harper
- Werth crosses big hurdle in shoulder rehab
- Nats face Mets in final Viera game of the spring
- PHOTO: New Mets pitcher faces Nats one day after they traded him
- Rendon seeking 3rd opinion on injured knee
- Mark Zuckerman joins STL to talk about Nats' injury problems