Sep 5, 2012, 2:21 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Few were in the stands as Edwin Jackson pitched last night.
It was impossible not to notice as the best-in-baseball Nationals took the field at 7:05 p.m. last night to face the Cubs. As the ballpark PA announcer implored the crowd to greet "your Washington Nationals," the ensuing roar might not have been loud enough to wake a sleeping infant.
Huge swaths of the lower deck were empty. You could count the number of fans in many upper deck sections on two hands. A few were completely vacant.
Official paid attendance: 17,648, the fourth-smallest crowd of the season on South Capitol Street and the smallest since May 2.
Where'd everybody go?
Theories immediately were proposed. It had been the first day of school in Northern Virginia, where the majority of Nationals fans live. The muggy weather was a turn-off. Tons of locals had been out of townRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Nats at Orioles, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Phillies, 7:15 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Phillies, 1:35 p.m.
MON: All-Star break
TUE: All-Star Game at Minneapolis, 8 p.m.
WED: All-Star break
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Healthy Nationals get a healthy win (VIDEO)
- Even when he looks shaky, Nationals trust Fister (VIDEO)
- Healthy Nats lineup starting to rediscover power
- Nationals dominate Orioles 6-2 in Baltimore
- Espinosa understands, accepts reduced role
- Beltways Battle shifts to Baltimore
- Cole Hamels would allow a trade to the Nationals
- MLB Power Rankings: Angels soaring
- Who should DH for Nats the next two nights?
- Nats and Orioles game postponed due to rain