Sep 6, 2012, 10:24 PM EDT
And if things don't go quite that smoothly, Burnett's lingering elbow inflammation could force manager Davey Johnson to use fellow left-hander John Lannan in a different manner than originally planned.
Johnson said Burnett — who last pitched on Sunday when he was charged with his second consecutive blown save against the Cardinals — won't be allowed to play catch until at least Saturday after spending the last week resting and receiving anti-inflammatory medication.
Burnett believes the inflammation may actually be to a nerve in his arm, not any muscle, according to Johnson.
"Hopefully the medicine he's taking will clear that up," the manager said.
Given the fact Burnett has been dealing with this elbow issue at various points this summer, the Nationals may have to alter the way he's used late in games down the stretch to avoid overwork. Burnett typicallyRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup
- Harper voted All-Star starter in record-breaking fashion
- Many unknowns in Strasburg's latest injury
- Strasburg placed on the 15-day DL with oblique strain
- For Nats, second half begins with high expectations
- Strasburg exits early in Nationals' 9-3 win
- Strasburg leaves game early due to apparent injury
- Harper on using patriotic bat on the Fourth: "Why not?"