Sep 6, 2012, 10:24 PM EST
And if things don't go quite that smoothly, Burnett's lingering elbow inflammation could force manager Davey Johnson to use fellow left-hander John Lannan in a different manner than originally planned.
Johnson said Burnett — who last pitched on Sunday when he was charged with his second consecutive blown save against the Cardinals — won't be allowed to play catch until at least Saturday after spending the last week resting and receiving anti-inflammatory medication.
Burnett believes the inflammation may actually be to a nerve in his arm, not any muscle, according to Johnson.
"Hopefully the medicine he's taking will clear that up," the manager said.
Given the fact Burnett has been dealing with this elbow issue at various points this summer, the Nationals may have to alter the way he's used late in games down the stretch to avoid overwork. Burnett typicallyRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Roark makes emergency start vs. Astros
- Fister scratched from start with elbow inflammation
- Doug Flutie took batting practice at Nats spring training (VIDEO)
- Marlins complain about Red Sox spring lineup, get apology
- Dr. Jobe's impact on baseball was immeasurable
- Zimmermann throws three scoreless in Nats' 3-2 loss
- Zimmermann squares off with Braves again
- 2014 Washington Nationals fantasy baseball preview
- Phillies Cole Hamels suffers setback, April looks doubtful
- Projecting Nats' roster midway through spring