Sep 6, 2012, 10:24 PM EST
And if things don't go quite that smoothly, Burnett's lingering elbow inflammation could force manager Davey Johnson to use fellow left-hander John Lannan in a different manner than originally planned.
Johnson said Burnett — who last pitched on Sunday when he was charged with his second consecutive blown save against the Cardinals — won't be allowed to play catch until at least Saturday after spending the last week resting and receiving anti-inflammatory medication.
Burnett believes the inflammation may actually be to a nerve in his arm, not any muscle, according to Johnson.
"Hopefully the medicine he's taking will clear that up," the manager said.
Given the fact Burnett has been dealing with this elbow issue at various points this summer, the Nationals may have to alter the way he's used late in games down the stretch to avoid overwork. Burnett typicallyRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos
- NL East: Phillies add new alternate uniform for 2016 (PHOTOS)
- NL East: Marlins interested in adding another starting pitcher
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Ben Revere fill void left by Span?