Sep 6, 2012, 7:26 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats go for a four-game sweep of the Cubs tonight at Nationals Park.
So, what do the Nationals have in store for us tonight? Another six-homer game? Maybe seven? They wouldn't even need to do that to make history. Only one team has ever hit five or more homers in three consecutive games: the 1977 Red Sox, who clubbed 16 total over a three-game June series against the Yankees.
Whether the Nats match that remarkable record or not doesn't diminish what they've done at the plate in recent days. They'll get a chance to take their hacks tonight against Justin Germano, 29-year-old journeyman with a 5.52 ERA in nine games (seven starts this season).
Jordan Zimmermann is on the mound for the Nationals, hoping to right his ship after a rocky month that included the worst start of his career last weekend against the Cardinals. Something tells me the right-hander will be motivated to turn things around tonight against a very suspect Chicago lineup.
Around the NL East, the Braves already beat the Rockies 1-0 this afternoon, so the Nats' division lead stands at 7 games for the moment. They can either gain or lose a half-game pending tonight's outcome.
Plenty of updates to come, so please check back…
CHICAGO CUBS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Partly cloudy, 84 degrees, Wind 7 mph RF to LF
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Former Nats outfielder Josh Willingham retires
- Trio of pitching greats on new Hall of Fame ballot
- Who is the Nats' best player at his position?
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?