Game 137: Cubs at Nats

Sep 6, 2012, 7:26 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats go for a four-game sweep of the Cubs tonight at Nationals Park.

So, what do the Nationals have in store for us tonight? Another six-homer game? Maybe seven? They wouldn't even need to do that to make history. Only one team has ever hit five or more homers in three consecutive games: the 1977 Red Sox, who clubbed 16 total over a three-game June series against the Yankees.

Whether the Nats match that remarkable record or not doesn't diminish what they've done at the plate in recent days. They'll get a chance to take their hacks tonight against Justin Germano, 29-year-old journeyman with a 5.52 ERA in nine games (seven starts this season).

Jordan Zimmermann is on the mound for the Nationals, hoping to right his ship after a rocky month that included the worst start of his career last weekend against the Cardinals. Something tells me the right-hander will be motivated to turn things around tonight against a very suspect Chicago lineup.

Around the NL East, the Braves already beat the Rockies 1-0 this afternoon, so the Nats' division lead stands at 7 games for the moment. They can either gain or lose a half-game pending tonight's outcome.

Plenty of updates to come, so please check back…

CHICAGO CUBS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Partly cloudy, 84 degrees, Wind 7 mph RF to LF

RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

1. baseballswami - Sep 6, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Nobody getting a day off today. Hope the offense carries Jordan back to being his normal self.Go Nats!

2. Secret wasian man - Sep 6, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Braves won their second 1-0 game in a row today. Both runs in both games unearned.

3. Section 222 - Sep 6, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I thought Lombo would get a start tonight since Tracy, Bernadina, and Moore have been in the lineup recently. I'll be happy to see our A team out there in support of JZnn. But again, it's his performance that's most important tonight. Three straight shaky outings is not a good sign.

4. sjm308 - Sep 6, 2012 at 7:59 PM

2's – also looking forward to seeing Jordan bounce back. If nothing else, the confidence level of this team has to be sky high.Go Nats!! Go Playoffs!! Score First!!

5. MicheleS - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:03 PM

GYFNG! Keep the line moving!

6. Steady Eddie - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:06 PM

222 == thanks a lot (NOT – ;-)) for reposting your Saturday pregame comment in which you jinxed us all three ways. JZimm pitched a lousy game but didn't lose it, our bats didn't cool down, but we still lost! And I took my 90-year old mother to her first MLB game in 47 years to a game you had jinxed! (Actually it was a very entertaining game apart from the pitching downfall, and she loved it.)

7. SonnyG10 - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:07 PM

We want another one just like the other one…er, three. Go Nats Go.

8. Section 222 - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Steady — Hah! Sorry about that. I watched that game on TV, and if we had managed to win, it would have been an instant Nats classic. Little did we know, it would be the only loss out of the last 8 games. The sun's even shining now in downtown DC. Can't wait to get out to the park.

9. Steady Eddie - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Hey 222, I'm in RC seats in 131 at the home plate end of row CC. Drop by on your way in if you have a little time. (My 11 -year old insisted that I go early enough to get her a messenger bag!)

10. Candide - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Dropping Cunegonde off at DCA, then off to the park. GYFNG!!!

11. smurff - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Also think the thing I'll be watching for most closely in this game will be Zimmermann's performance. He's back on 5 days rest — his last three starts were all on six days rest. In those games, he gave up 21 hits and 15 earned runs. Interesting stats on his sucess on five days rest over at Federal Baseball.If he bounces back and pitches the rest of the season out well on five days rest, it will be interesting how they set up the staff for the postseason. If I looked it up correctly (and they go with a 3 man rotation) he'll need to pitch on four days rest for the NLDS and NLCS. If they go with a four man rotation, it's easier for him to stay on 5 days. Gets really difficult when they get to the WS — couldn't figure out a way to keep him on five days rest without screwing with the rest of the staff….

12. Candide - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Steady Eddie, what are RC seats? Only thing I can come up with is "Roman Catholic" and I bet that ain't it… Will try to swing by if I get a chance.

13. Steady Eddie - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Can you imagine that lineup next year with (hopefully) Ramos back in the #8 slot?? No let up from top to bottom!Yeah, I know, ALR — and EJax — may not resign. But as I've often said, those two guys are very comfortable in their own skins and they've been in enough clubhouses to know that, for them at least, the combination of phenomenal team chemistry and a great team is worth more than the highest market price they can get in a place like Boston, NY, or LA. Or Miami (though they ain't gonna be spending big time next year). And they've seen RZim give a hometown discount (and it IS one) to stay here under those conditions, and to ensure the team can resign its top guys for years to come. I would predict that they will both stay, and for less than they could get elsewhere. Why? They know what a lousy clubhouse, and a losing team, or both, feels like. And they know themselves enough to know it's not worth the extra money to be sentenced to that clubhouse for years when they could be here.

14. Steady Eddie - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Sorry, ST lingo. Red Carpet seats (free tix for ST holders — I'm on a 21 game package).Like Annie, I believe in the Church of Baseball.

15. mick - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Steady Eddie said…Can you imagine that lineup next year with (hopefully) Ramos back in the #8 slot?? No let up from top to bottom!that is what I have been thinking as well. If that young man can come back, we are talking 1927 Yankees power, or something like that, lol

16. Candide - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:39 PM

17. Section 222 - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Smurff – Znn has had only 4 days rest (last pitched on Sept. 1). He had five days rest before his last 3 starts (pitching every sixth day). Your point is still valid — hopefully he'll be better with less rest. I'm not holding out a lot of hope that that's the issue though. He's not a sinkerball pitcher. I think we can be pretty confident they'll go with a four man rotation in the playoffs. With off days, that allows them to go every five days (4 days rest) as usual. A few teams have gone with three pitchers in the World Series because of the extra off days, but I don't expect even that with the Nats, especially since all four have been really good this year. Maybe in a game seven if Gio could pitch on three days rest, and someone else is at the ready to come in after 4 or 5 innings, but probably not. Steady, I'm not saying that E-Jax and ALR won't re-sign if they get a better offer elsewhere, only that they are going to wait to see what offers they get before re-signing. Right now they are concentrating on this season, and so is Rizzo. I don't expect anything to happen until the off season.

18. hiramhover - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Steady EddieWe will see — I posted about ALR to the prior thread, before realizing that Mark had posted a game thread. Players may tout the value of friendships, good clubhouse, etc. in the abstract, but when it comes free agent time, they almost always go for the $$$. The situation in which EJax and ALR find themselves probably gives them particular reason to do so–they're in their primes, so this probably their last, best chance to sign the big contract that neither has gotten yet. Each already missed out on that chance once–they ended up here only because they couldn't get those longer/better contracts elsewhere.That's not to say they won't return, and if they do, I'm sure they'll say how happy they are to be coming back, the chemistry is great, etc.–and that will all probably be true. But I'd bet it will also be true that they didn't get a substantially better offer elsewhere.

19. Knoxville Nat - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:42 PM

222….thinking like you, when does Lombo get a chance to shake off some rust? I though tonight might be a good opportunity to give Espinosa a bit of rest and also let Shark give JW another night off.

20. Candide - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Steady Eddie said…Can you imagine that lineup next year with (hopefully) Ramos back in the #8 slot?? No let up from top to bottom!I'll feel better about Ramos is he comes to spring training having dropped twenty pounds or so.And shows he's learned to hold on to one-hoppers from Harper, LaRoche, and Werth, as well as relay grenades from Desmond and Espi.

21. mick - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Candide said…Steady Eddie said…Like Annie, I believe in the Church of Baseball.Baseball is a game designed to break your heart.But it also heals the soul.or as POLICE would sing…."Love can mend your lifeBut love can break your heart"lol

22. mick - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Knoxville Nat said…222….thinking like you, when does Lombo get a chance to shake off some rust?I forgot all about Lombo…. I feel like he is missing… like Jimmy Hoffa, lol

23. mick - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:47 PM

where is Lomboooooo???? hee hee

24. smurff - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Section 222,Yep, I used poor terminology in my post. Hopefully others figured out what I was trying to say, as you did….

25. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I would like to see limbo get 2 games in against the Marlins. One resting Espi One resting Desi

26. NatsNut - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I'll be in 310 tonight, also using RCR. I'll be the one wearing the red nats cap. =)

27. NCNatsie - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Re ALR and EJAX, I think the union puts a lot of pressure on players to go for the top salary available. What a world it is, tho, when we say a man who is making $11 million a year hasn't gotten his big contract yet.

28. sjm308 - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I continue to be amazed at how little respect some give Suzuki. I realize he was not with us from the beginning of the year but he has been a #1 catcher for the last 4 years. Gold Glove runner up the last two years and a superior defensive catcher to anyone on our roster, including Ramos. He averaged 14 homeruns the last 3 years in Oakland which is not a hitters park. I am not disparaging Ramos and realize he will be 24 next year compared to Suzuki's 29, but the reality of two knee surgeries in such a demanding position makes me feel pretty damn good that we have Kurt here.Go Nats!!

29. NatsLady - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Hardball Talk is putting up a series on top free agents. They haven't gotten to ALR or Ejax yet, but here is what they said about Burnett:59. Sean Burnett (LHP Nationals – Age 30)*: Unless Burnett’s recent bout with a sore elbow proves more troublesome than the Nationals are anticipating, it’s safe to assume the left-hander will decline his half of a $3.5 million mutual option this winter. One of the game’s top lefty specialists, he’s held left-handers to a .203 average, one homer and just one walk in 79 at-bats this season. He’s in line for a two-year deal worth around $4 million per season.

30. Candide - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:13 PM

sjm308 said…and a superior defensive catcher to anyone on our roster, including Ramos.That's not setting the bar real high, sjm. Otherwise, here's your "amen" (since we're talking baseball-as-church).

31. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I just saw the unearned run the Braves scored and that was One poor play.

32. Steady Eddie - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:14 PM

NCNatsie — "What a world it is, tho, when we say a man who is making $11 million a year hasn't gotten his big contract yet."Exactly. hiramhover — "Players may tout the value of friendships, good clubhouse, etc. in the abstract, but when it comes free agent time, they almost always go for the $$$." Yes, generally true, but experienced players who've been on a bunch of teams like those two know that you come across a team like this almost never. This entire team reflects Rizzo's building for youth, talent, and character, so the combination of tremendous capability now, the lack of huge and abrasive egos, and the likelihood of its being sustained for years is what makes this team truly exceptional for the players as well as the fans.They've both been around enough to know that they will NOT find another team like this one for the rest of their careers. And they're both guys who put being really happy about where they're doing what they're doing — and getting paid a ton of money to do it — over getting paid the maximum possible tons of money. FWIW, my take on EJax's canning Boras as his agent is that he wasn't into income maximization. I'd be sort of surprised if ALR signs that one year option but think he would go for a 2 year extension on top of it.Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my take on these two guys as individuals. They're not your average player, character-wise. That's a good part (along with their proven talent, obviously) of why Rizzo signed them.

33. peric - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:19 PM

With both Moore and Bernadina hitting; plus there's Morse; and LaRoche appears hot at first base … it looks kind of hard to get Lombo reps … He has no power, so Moore, Morse, Desmond and Espinosa would come first; and as far as the speed game Espinosa, Bernadina, and Desmond are better … He'd probably have to fill for Espinosa who is wielding a hot XBH bat. Or Desmond. If I had to guess I'd say Desmond gets another rest soon as it hasn't been that long since he's been back. They are peaking at the perfect time with a clubhouse full of gamers.

34. Steady Eddie - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:20 PM

35. NCNatsie - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Eddie, I do agree with you that Uncle Adam and Ejax are character guys from all we can tell from fanside. How they play from now until the end of the World Series will impact their market value more than anything else in their careers, though. (I know, I know, I'm jumpng the gun, but of course I mean "if we get to" the World Series.) If Ejax were to win a game in each playoff series and Uncle Adam hits 3-4 home runs including a game winner, we would all be, rightfully, cheering our little bleeps off, but the same might put them out of reasonable reach for a team with our young assets.

36. Steady Eddie - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:30 PM

sjm308 — I think Suzuki was a tremendous and essential addition to the ballclub to make a serious playoff run, and agree that Ramos' surgeries make his return (apart from his weight, which I have to assume he's managing better in consultation with the club on his rehab) uncertain, which is why I wrote "hopefully".All I was talking about in that post was Ramos' bat in "that lineup". He has been clutch many a time (including this year's walkoff in the first game against the Phils). Maybe you weren't including me in the "some" who "give so little respect" to Suzuki, although I was the only commenter on this post who mentioned any Nats catchers. It's a real stretch to find comment about the lineup bat as giving little respect to him.

37. mick - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:32 PM

38. mick - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:32 PM

the Braves won two back to back 1-0 games? what does Yogi call this…. lol

39. mick - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:34 PM

that is crazy, all of sudden Colorado can pitch and not hit

40. NatsLady - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:48 PM

mick, lol. I thought the same.that is crazy, all of sudden Colorado can pitch and not hit

41. Bzl. - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:49 PM

If anyone desires a freebie pair of RC seats :) , send an email to me, and if you're first, I'll send you links so you can print them out. Sec. 114 HH. Cheers. bzlrbi@aaaooolll.com (obvious correction needed).(Just post on here that you've tried to claim them, so others know.)

42. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Now you tell me! I'm settled in 409. Vidro jersey. Say hi.

43. Another_Sam - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:54 PM

NCNatsie — though I'm as much a sentimental fan as the next guy, the players are professionals working for the man just like I do and presumably just like you do. They are entitled to drive the best deal for themselves that they can, and to go for the $$$ if that's what they think is in their interest. Just IMHO.

44. NatsLady - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I see no reason for LaRoche to give a hometown discount. He's the ultimate professional, but baseball is his job. He will get respect (and comaraderie) wherever he does, although he might get picky and reject certain dysfunctional teams.Jackson has made it clear several times that he would like to re-sign with the Nats. With him it might not be the money, it would be the years.

45. Chevy Chase Bob - Sep 6, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Listened to Mike Wise this a.m….on attendance…my suggestion to the nats would be that four years from now…the schedule makers take into consideration that the area's political freaks watch the conventions.

46. baseballswami - Sep 6, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Seriously – if you have not seen how the Braves scored their only run, you have to see it. Disgusting. Talking about current nats not being with us any more gives me a rash. I get way too attached. I think I will be like the team and just think about today.

47. baseballswami - Sep 6, 2012 at 10:26 PM

And another thing – why is everyone so freaked out about attendance when summer is over – did no one notice all the families and kids in the stands all summer? I would like to see the pointy ball people have those numbers 81 times a year in all seasons and on all nights of the week. Sheesh. They have no idea. They have, what? 8 home games a year?

48. Theophilus T. S. - Sep 6, 2012 at 10:29 PM

re: Ramos in 8-spot, the Nats' catchers, cumulatively, have 12 HR so far this year, w/ a month to go. Not shabby. Even if Ramos comes back, healthy, all the way back, for the whole season — all of which is in doubt, to some degree or another — there won't be a quantum increase in power from the catcher's slot.Not that important. What counts as much, and probably more than a couple of extra HRs, is whether they (A) get between the ball and the backstop; (B) throw a few more runners out.

49. Melissa Rabey - Sep 6, 2012 at 10:30 PM

If anyone doesn't want their messagener bag from tonight's game, maybe you'd give it to me instead? I'm in 142, row K, seat 16. Thanks!

50. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 6, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Ok, Nats, don't let up, keep the pressure on, don't underestimate your opponents, and go for that jugular. GYFNG!

51. NatsLady - Sep 6, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Jordan doesn't look good. His body language before the homerun was nervous. He shook Suzuki off several times and slowed the game down a lot.Wow that Harper is SOMETHING!!!

52. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 6, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Why in the world didn't they intentionally walk Barney in front of the pitcher?

53. NatsLady - Sep 6, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Ghost, no clue. FP thought they would.

54. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 6, 2012 at 11:35 PM

So what happened to the power 2 seamer that ran in and down on a right hander Jordan threw so well? This 95 mph fastball is flat.

55. NatsLady - Sep 6, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Jordan better hydrate. He's glowing with sweat and the dew point is at 70. I'm not there, but it looks muggy!

56. NatsLady - Sep 6, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Suzuki—-picking up Jordan Zimmermann!!!

57. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 6, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Did I tell you Iike this Suzuki guy?

58. NatsLady - Sep 6, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Werth with a very pro at-bat, making sure JZ had a chance to grab a drink and a breath.

59. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 6, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Now can Jordan actually throw a cean inning?

60. sjm308 - Sep 6, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Not trying to break an arm patting myself on the back but Suzuki!!! Steady, I thought there were a couple of guys including Mick that agreed right away and no one defending Kurt so I thought I would speak up. Not just this post but lots of times people are questioning pitchers shaking him off and his lack of offense. If you look, he has gotten better and better each and every week. A real steal if you ask me.Go Nats Go Playoffs We did not score first but I am still hopeful

61. djinFl. - Sep 6, 2012 at 11:53 PM

If you had seen all the tweets to Kurt, from his Oakland fans, weeks after he was here, you would know he was going to bring something special.Nice inning Jordan

62. NatsLady - Sep 6, 2012 at 11:53 PM

JZ looked much better this inning. Say a prayer. He had 2-hour surgery today:Jason Martinez ‏@mlbdepthchartsBrandon McCarthy (epidural hemorrhage, brain contusion, skull fracture) out indefinitely after being hit by line drive. In stable condition.

63. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Ian hit it hard. last One five feet left of the double play ball.

64. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Let's dp another clean inning, Jordan.

65. sjm308 - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Zimmnn looks to have settled in – we continue to hit the ball hard and look who just got his 2nd hit of the game? Need Jason to deliver here.

66. sjm308 - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Seriously, how is Bryce Harper not the Rookie of the Year?

67. Sj - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:26 AM

RZimm comes thru!!!

68. Joe Seamhead - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:31 AM

FP kills me. If Bryce hits a single and a homer he would hit for the cycle, but we'd have to call it a Brycecycle.BTW, that WB Mason commercial with the notebook is very creepy.

69. zregime - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:35 AM

"Let's go toNationals BallparkGio and Jayson and the boysThe successful club they're fieldin'sCausin' DC fans to make a lotta noiseBetween themGame changin' homersOur pitchers whiffin' gomersAnd Bryce breakin' bats in the rainDown in Nationals BallparkThere ain't nobody feelin' no pain…"Except our opponents.RIP Waylon. GYFNG!

70. Swift Eagle - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Haha…Keep all the starting pitchers off the field during fights…Cubs don't like Ian and Danny stealing I guess

71. Sj - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:49 AM

What caused a fight…?

72. Swift Eagle - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Bench Coach Jaime Quirk was yelling at Bo Porter…Bo didn't back down…

73. sjm308 - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:50 AM

FP is thinking its Jason Werth swinging at 3-0 but you have to love Bo going over to the Cubs dugout and taking them all on.Probably the funniest sight is both bullpens running in to to what??

74. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:51 AM

I love it. Quirk is just being a coach — and a good one, too. Bo is just doing his job — and well too. Benches Clear!!Ahhh That's Baseball.

75. sjm308 - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Swift – maybe your Legion can complain about how poorly we rumble

76. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:51 AM

SJM haha I agree. The bullpens kinda looked a little silly — I bet they felt that way, too.

77. Swift Eagle - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:52 AM

I think it was the back to back steals by Ian and Danny up 7-2…It's not Jayson's fault the minor league pitcher fell behind 3-0…

78. sjm308 - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:53 AM

NF Jim – agreed. Cubs have to be frustrated and I have no problem with Quirk there nor do I have any issues with Bo going over to tell them what he thinks.

79. sm13 - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Cubs seem jut a bit frustrated. Manager ejected last night, bench coach pops his cork tonight. Hope they don't get stupid and start throwing at our hitters.

80. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:54 AM

SJM RE: harper rookie of the year. Other Rookies in the league are having awesome years — although, I'm biased. It should be Harp.

81. Swift Eagle - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Haha..yep, Legion of Doom will find something…I noticed the smartest man on the field, Ryan Zimmerman, who never dropped his bat as the field became crowded…Morse, Werth, Zimmerman, LaRoche….big dudes, I don;t think the Cubs want a fight…

82. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:57 AM

About Bo and Cubs feeling tread upon.I remember coaching my team of 15 year olds and we were killing this lousy, lousy team. We tried to make outs and couldn't. By the 5th inning it was 18-0. We were good, but they were that bad.After the game, the Loser coach started yelling at me for running up the score. (I stopped stealing in the 2nd inning). My Assistant Coach had a great response:"Hey coach, next time, bring a better team." 'Nuff said. Hey Cubbies, next time, bring a better team.

83. Joe Seamhead - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Johnson has said he expects his team to play to win at all times, and that to do it any other way is a losing mentality.

84. ehay2k - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Glad we didn't get into a rumble there, not with our injury history. Although I suppose Stras could be a free swinger these days. :-)

85. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:03 AM

FP's right. How embarassing for the Cubs. Bush league mother $%$#$#%

86. sm13 - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:03 AM

I called that one -Bushleague

87. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Harper needs to show a little more cool — although I can't blame him.

88. Swift Eagle - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Speaking of guys you don;t want to fight, ever get a good look at bullpen coach Lett?? That guy could kill you with his bare hands…

89. sjm308 - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:06 AM

To quote MichelleS Whooo HoooWe don't get many of these and they are usually pretty tame but I do wish I was there and out by the Cubs bullpen! They would get a barage from me about what losers they are.

90. sjm308 - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Disagree on Harper – he looked the guy right in the eye and basically said, you want some of me??

91. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Nahh too much by a half

92. blovy8 - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:10 AM

big deal, they forgot the rugby ball

93. sjm308 - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:10 AM

have you ever had a 90+ ball comeright at you?

94. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Nevertheless, I hope he drills a line drive up the middle

95. Swift Eagle - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Well, I guess the Nats will have to retaliate and throw at one of the Cubs star players….Damn, never mind that wont work will it?

96. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Yes, I have. Have you?

97. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:11 AM

No can do, Swift. Davey will not accept an ejection. He would be some kinda mad!

98. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:12 AM

That's okay, about the K Harper already won that one.

99. Swift Eagle - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Bryce handled that perfectly, did nothing to get suspended, but also didn't back down….He can't just let people throw at him and say nothing…

100. blovy8 - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:12 AM

It's the hiss when they come at you that I don't like

101. Joe Seamhead - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:12 AM

NatsJimJim, did you ever play? I don't know how you can fault the Kid on that. I though he showed great restraint allowing himself to be restrained by Werth.

102. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Swift … if the Cubs HAD an all star player to throw at

103. sjm308 - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:13 AM

i'll tell you the one cub I don't want to deal with in a scrum is their pitcher who played tight end/wide receiver for Notre Dame. He is one big guy. I would try and spell his name it but it would not be pretty

104. sm13 - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:14 AM

I thought Bryce handled it just fine. I know a former cf of ours who would have charged the mound and pounded his chest.

105. blovy8 - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Wouldn't surprise me if the Cubs' coaches tell this guy to brush back the first batter every time he comes in, he's thrown really well since then.

106. sjm308 - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Jim – yes!

107. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Dont gang jump on me Nats Fans. I said "I couldnt blame him" right?But you never, ever lose control of a game the way the kid made that happen. YOu retaliate in other ways. Harper overreaction could have caused multiple suspensions in a pennant race, and worse, injuries to key players.I'm sure Davey and staff are saying the exact same words. Use your heads, fans, not your emotions.

108. sjm308 - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Now, the big question is how does Zimmnn handle all this time in the dugout? Lets hope he comes out strong.

109. ehay2k - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:15 AM

No need to throw at anyone. Sweep and as Sir Charles would say " let them take their … whipping and go home. "But if we admire, ever so briefly, another HR or two, that would be OK by me.

110. sjm308 - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Jim – we will agree to disagree on this one – its not like Nyjer charging the mound and getting clocked by the other teams first baseman but he let them know he was not going to be played with. I, like you am glad no one was hurt, or suspended.Cubs have to be the bad guys on this, not Bryce.

111. Swift Eagle - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:17 AM

BOOM goes ALR….

112. blovy8 - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:17 AM

THAT'S how you do it. But I don't think it was a homer…

113. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Now we can show our emotion.Awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!Uh oh, fan involvement? Review coming. Damn!

114. blovy8 - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:18 AM

could be above the green though

115. Joe Seamhead - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Harper had every right to flare up at the pitcher. That certainly was intentional. The big dummy was the little catcher that pushed Morse. Now these twits want to contest that homer?Sheesh

116. Swift Eagle - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Would the Cubs have to go tag ALR in the dugout? He already crossed home anyway…Inside the Park HR??

117. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:20 AM

SJM I totally agree. Harper 'aint no Nyjer, that's for sure! Still, the kid has to think of the bigger picture and keep his cool just a bit.meanwhile HR is the ruling!!!!

118. sjm308 - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Definitely a homerun but if they did reverse it would be a ground rule double and Zimm on 3rd. I think its definitely a HR and here come the umps to confirm

119. sjm308 - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Damn I wish that had come against the kid who tried to hit Bryce but I am guessing the message is still pretty clear. Don't mess with us!!

120. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Was the Cubs jerk catcher who took the shot at Morse ejected?

121. sjm308 - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:23 AM

When does Davey start putting in guys like Lombo, DeRosa, Moore, Bernadina? Have to think our B team can bring this one home.

122. sjm308 - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Jim – looks like it but there was no official announcement.

123. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:24 AM

or does Davey keep the big dogs in to tell the Cubs — FU

124. Swift Eagle - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:25 AM

The Cubs have never recovered since they got rid of that 12 year old pitcher with the rubber arm who struck everyone out….And the Gary Busey arm injury was tough too…

125. blovy8 - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:25 AM

BS. Harper did nothing wrong.

126. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:26 AM

haha I'll answer my own question and guess YES, Davey leaves the big dogs in. But this is assuming that Davey coaches with his heart and not his head.And coaching with his heart is not Davey's style.

127. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:27 AM

haha Rookie of the year??

128. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:27 AM

The Cubs still miss Ron Santo — who last played 40 years or so ago.

129. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:29 AM

You probably would never manage, Bloviator Blovy

130. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Castro is a player.

131. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Get the bullpen warm, Davey

132. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:31 AM

I want to see Garcia. Looks like an awesome pitcher.

133. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Zimmermann 95 -96 all night. Strong

134. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Repeat: get the bullpen up, Davey.

135. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Good, it is. Uh Oh, Its Gorzo. Cubbies guaranteed to score at least one.

136. blovy8 - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:40 AM

pretty good recovery by Zimmermann

137. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Yes he did. Fine job.

138. Joe Seamhead - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:41 AM

This was all mild. The proverbial excretement would have really hit the fan if Bryce had not got out of the way and gotten hit. His Mom may have come down to the field and hurt somebody.Seriously, it's high drama and all, but Bryce Harper isn't just good for the Nationals, he's good for baseball period. He's a poster child for MLB.

139. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Good to see Suzuki getting hot.

140. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:43 AM

What a team — we can't even find anytime time for a guy like Lombo. Glad to see he's getting an AB

141. Swift Eagle - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:45 AM

The Cubs come in to play the best team in MLB, use about 30 minor league pitchers, and then they're mad b/c they're getting smoked???Doesn't take guts to throw at a 19 year old…Wonder why they didn't throw at Morse?Gutless Losers, for over 100 years…

142. sm13 - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Joe S – agree completely. Bryce had grown up fast since Spring training way back in 2011.

143. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:47 AM

I hate stupid baseball fights, just makes the game longer.

144. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:47 AM

What an AB by Suzuki!!and Swift, while throwing at Morse is suicidal, throwing at a guy like Harper is double suicide. that kid takes Zero Shite

145. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Faraz, If Brawls make the game last longer, then let them brawl every inning.

146. Exposremains - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Just went and listen the Cubs broadcast on the whole incident. Guys in the booth saying that Porter started the whole thing and should have been thrown out. Then they say that Sveum should have no problem with throwing at Harper. Unbelievable. The broadcatsers really fit well this Cubs team. Did they forget about that time last year when Nats were winning 9-0 and ended up loosing hat game.

147. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Joe: Easily as exciting as Mantle — even more so.Great for the league.

148. sjm308 - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:50 AM

thinking about the cubs, they have absolutely ZERO veteran leadership. Soriano has played awhile but not a leader. Castro, still too young. They are a mess and will continue to be so. Love our mix of old and young with the old being 32 & 33 but still providing leadership. Suzuki has been playing well for over two weeks, just takes some people longer to notice.

149. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Expos: kinda like politics, isnt. each side sees things completely differently and is baffled by opposing opinion.You gotta love baseball.

150. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Prediction: Harper goes deep.

151. sjm308 - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Jim, he is truly exciting but having watched Mantle in his early years I am not there yet. It really is close though and the homerun yesterday to right did remind me of how The Mick used to crush it. I still remember watching the ball leave Griffith Stadium, I think it was off Chuck Stobbs. Longest ball I have ever seen and I saw Hondo hit a bunch as well. It is great for our team and the league and he will only get better.

152. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:53 AM

It will be a sad day when Harper does finally grow up. That's his magic — he plays like a wild kid.

153. sjm308 - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Would love to see Harper go deep here

154. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:54 AM

… and he pisses them aaaaaallll off.

155. Swift Eagle - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:54 AM

They have a point about Porter…I think he deserved to get tossed, as he was obviously part of the initial dust up, even if he was only responding….If I were one of the ejected players, I'd appeal any fine or suspension based on the fact that Coaches started everything…kind of like every Saturday in Little League…

156. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Jackson makes a great catch.Way to get dirty, kid.

157. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Sjm: YOU saw "The SHOT"? the Longest measured homerun in history? that is the one that he hit off Stobbs at Griffith, right? Wow, I should ask for YOUR autograph. I remember mantle in his later years. What a player — what power.

158. Exposremains - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Ill concede On Porter but if im a Cub and getting beaten like that, i keep my mouth shut.

159. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:59 AM

I saw one game at Griffith, but I was a wee lad. My father took me there to see the Senators play the 'new' Los Angeles Angles with Ted Kluczuski (sic?) batting 4th. with his cutoff sleeves .. I remember Albie Pearson was batting leadoff.

160. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Wow. Nasty up in here tonight. Folks, we got a seven and a-half game lead on Sept. 6 with Jesus pitching tomorrow night. Chill…

161. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:00 AM

When your coaching in the field and your being yelled at by a coach in the dugout, especially when it's BS, it's easy to see how Bo went over to 'chat."

162. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:01 AM

This kid, Rizzo, is flat out good.

163. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Allright, we get to see Garcia. Do it, kid. Watch how the ball EXPLODES out of his hand.

164. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:04 AM

I heard that Jesus could pitch with his eyes closed. Is that true? (haha)Ask yourselves: Would Jesus throw at a batter? answer: You bet your ass He would.

165. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:05 AM

This kid can Bring it!! the rich get richer!!

166. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:05 AM

To quote Uek: Just a weeeeeeeeee bit outside.

167. blovy8 - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Jesus Colome would. But it would take about as long as people lived in bible years for him to deliver the pitch.

168. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Sit your arse down, Soriano

169. NatsLady - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Speaking of no leadership on the Cubs, how do you suppose those guys felt when their manager said they were "boys against men"? It might be true, it might be amusing from our side, but you should not say it.

170. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:11 AM

I am watching Os vs Yanks simultaneously. Yanks come all the way back to tie at 6-6 in top 8th on Ichiro's two-run single and then Os take the lead back thanks to Jones and Reynolds homers. Great games going on in beltway area.

171. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Might have to agree with Swift on Bo. Bo might not have put on his rabbit ears and ignored the whole thing — or done something quietly.nevertheless, Bo did what he needed to do.

172. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:11 AM

And you still haven't seen Christians besr pitch, the slider. Just wait.

173. blovy8 - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Good cop/bad cop Sveum/Quirk seems like on that bench.

174. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:12 AM

I can't wait to hear when the Nats announce playoff tickets are for sale.History making announcement that one.

175. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:12 AM

This chicago hurler has a terrible release point. He's liable to walk em around.

176. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:13 AM

The Cubs Sho Do Suck

177. Joe Seamhead - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:13 AM

NatsJack, that was the first time that I've seen Garcia, and I'm duly impressed.

178. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:13 AM

I am ready for a Morse 450 ft. Bomb

179. A DC Wonk - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Speaking of no leadership on the Cubs, how do you suppose those guys felt when their manager said they were "boys against men"?No kidding. Especially given that some of the "boys" were grizzled veterans, and one of the "men" (who hit two HR last night) is a teenager!

180. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:15 AM

If Garcia is healthy, and he looks to be — look out. He is absolutely THE REAL DEAL.

181. A DC Wonk - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:15 AM

NatsJack in Florida said… And you still haven't seen Christians besr pitch, the slider. Just wait.What was the pitch that was strike three (I just got a phone call when he threw it, it looked off speed, no?)

182. Swift Eagle - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:16 AM

It looked like he got away with a bad slider to strike out Soriano…but it also could have been a GREAT change up..Lol

183. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Espi hasnt hit a homer since last night.he's due.

184. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:17 AM

I'm sure that was his changup.

185. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Make this a laugher, Kurt.

186. MicheleS - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:20 AM

THIS GAME HAS BEEN GREAT!

187. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:22 AM

It shoo has, Michelle. this season keeps getting better and better and better, if that's possible.

188. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Who's pitching the 9th?

189. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:24 AM

garcia looks like a natural born closer.No offense, Clip and storen.

190. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Allright, the Nats future closer is .. well.. finishing.

191. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:25 AM

How many manage still Chaw Red Man. Both Davey and Randy always have a mouthful of Chaw — old school

192. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:26 AM

An absolute miracle that Castro got a bat on the wicket curveball.

193. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:26 AM

O's ahead of Yanks in 9th 10-6

194. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:27 AM

See that slider? Yold ya.

195. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Manny Machado makes a superb play at third.two out in 9th

196. MicheleS - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:28 AM

WOOOOOO HOOOOOO

197. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Oh My God — the Cubs are HORRIBLE. Finally get a hit, and fall down between bases. Reminds me of .. well… us in days of old.At least the Cubs have Chicago spelles correctly on their Jersey.

198. blovy8 - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:29 AM

seems about the right way to end it

199. NatsFanJim - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Orioles win.Tied for first.All MASN 'World Series???

200. ehay2k - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:34 AM