Sep 6, 2012, 4:37 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Bryce Harper and Adam LaRoche combined for three of the Nats’ six homers.
It took nearly 79 seasons of baseball in the District of Columbia for the home team to hit six home runs in one game for the first time.
Then it took only 24 hours for the Nationals to do it again.
And at the end of Wednesday night’s 9-1 thrashing of the Cubs, all anyone could do was sit back and marvel at what this suddenly juggernaut of a lineup was able to accomplish.
Twelve homers in two days? It defies logic.
“I don’t know what’s going on,” said Adam LaRoche, who contributed two of them during Tuesday night’s win and another on Wednesday. “Whatever we’re doing, we need to continue to do it every day. Whether it’s the meals we’re eating, the cage work, you name it. Just one of those stretches that you can’t really explain.”
How rare was this accomplishment? So rare it had only happened twice before in the modern era: the 1996 Dodgers and the 2003 Angels.
“It’s not going to happen all the time,” Danny Espinosa said. “But we definitely have the power potential to do that.”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals