Game 139: Marlins at Nats

Sep 8, 2012, 4:52 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals face the Marlins in a Saturday matinee on South Capitol Street.

OK, so there's a game still to be played, Stephen Strasburg shutdown or not. The Nationals, after losing in dramatic fashion last night, try to bounce back this afternoon against Mark Buehrle and the Marlins.

Ross Detwiler, who now officially becomes the Nats' No. 4 starter, is seeking his 10th win of the season. He'd become the fourth different member of the rotation to reach double-digits in wins, with Edwin Jackson (who starts tomorrow) also one win away.

One lineup change for the Nationals: Kurt Suzuki was initially listed in the starting lineup, but after catching all 10 innings last night, he's been replaced by Jesus Flores. Not an injury situation, just a matter of giving Suzuki a rest.

Updates to come, so please check back. And please check back on the Strasburg story, which I'll be updating with pregame quotes from Mike Rizzo and later postgame quotes from Strasburg and other players…

MIAMI MARLINS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 89
Weather: Scattered storms, 85 degrees, Wind 16 mph out to LF

RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
LF Michael Morse

Read more ยป

1. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 8, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Good. So they are still playing a game today.

2. baseballswami - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Anyone else really tired of the Fish? Can't wait to be done with them for this year. Fish that is getting old really starts to smell…

3. djinFl. - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:08 PM

NatsJack are you getting the game? My MLB Extra innings is blacked out since the game is against the Marlins, but the Marlins network is showing Tulane vs Tulsa.

4. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Harp in against Buehrle.

5. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Det doesn't get the 2-2 strikeout call then promptly gives up the HR

6. Exposremains - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Like said last night, I don't understand why the Nats can't beat up on the Marlins. Guy with 1hr and .160 average, hits HR. They always let Stanton beat them. I don't get it.

7. baseballswami - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Well – if you are watching this game, you will see that centercut fastballs are now apparently balls.

8. Jim Webster - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Gio ejected. Don't know why.

9. Exposremains - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:21 PM

swami,I'm blacked out. But still, this is not the 1st time.

10. baseballswami - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:27 PM

If you read my above comment then you will know why gio got ejected. Balls and strikes were soooooo very bad. Ross got nothing – should have been out of the inning before Stanton's hr. Let's just say the strike zone was not the same when the fish were pitching. Hope Ross can recover. McCatty has been out already and had some colorful words for the ump. I am sensing an ejection in his future.

11. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Det is getting that fastball up. Also, can't throw all fastballs to a batter like Stanton.

12. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:32 PM

4 pitch walk to a .179 batter who hit a HR off of him.

13. Exposremains - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:33 PM

This time around, on pitch FX against Gorky.It should have been 3 strikes and 1 barely a ball.

14. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Expos, what Pitch F/X.are you looking at?

15. JaneB - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Why doesn't someone do something about it when an ump has two strokes zones going? There should be some sort of review possible, even if only after the game (when it's too late, I know), so that these guys are on notice.Why do we ever pitch to Giancarlo? Other teams pitch around ALR. Shutting down Stra should help our guys focus on the task at hand. Hopefully sooner tha later.

16. baseballswami - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:36 PM

If you are blacked out — Det is not necessarily serving it up. The strike zone is tight, but the fish are hitting some pitches that most hitters don't get to. Det has thrown some really good pitches in there that they are getting to. Their hitters are looking very hitterish. Won't matter a lick if the nats don't get their own offense cooking against Buerhle.

17. Exposremains - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I meant to say Gameday.

18. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:38 PM

This Solano kid has a nice quick stroke. Hate to walk a .179 guy to have to face the .295 guy.3-0 deficit which shouldn't be regardless of this POS ump.Flores looks unprepared. I'm not happy.

19. baseballswami - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Our offense looks very weak and impotent. Last night I thought the guys were having bad AB's – more of the same today. They have a big offensive series and then fall in love with the home runs. I am not seeing smart approaches. They have been hitting against young, inexperienced pitchers with the cubs. Not so now.They must adjust. Won't matter what Det does if we don't hit.

20. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Expos, Gameday strikezone is about as accurate as the calorie counter at McDonalds.

21. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:49 PM

LaRoche saves at lease one Zim error that inning.

22. MicheleS - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:50 PM

JINX

23. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:50 PM

baseballswami, give it time. Only 2 innings of ABs

24. Oldguy - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:51 PM

with a huge amount of emotion floating around this club in the past few days–or more–it's no surprise that they are unfocused. Let's get this fish crap over with and get out of town. Whatever happens from here, let's not forget that we have a great team and it's only going to get better. I look back at the last four teams that have gone to the WS and their collective record is 2-16. Two have come back, two went south. These guys are getting hardened, and the harder the rest of this year is, the stronger they will be next year. I waited 60 years for the Red Sox, whom I followed since the 1940's, to win a WS. I can wait one year more.

25. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:52 PM

See Swami!

26. MicheleS - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I only use my powers for the good of the team.

27. Swift Eagle - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:54 PM

BOOM for Jesus…Going to take more than 3 runs to beat us…Is Stras in the dugout today? Didn't see him during the HR celebration

28. djinFl. - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:55 PM

That is fine with me MicheleS, and thank you very much.

29. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Game of inches. Harp misses the foul pole.

30. Section 222 - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Watching today's game in air-conditioned comfort at home after last night's marathon. Painful loss, but a very entertaining game I have to admit. (I have not read the comments, and don't plan to.) I noticed someone commented on TSA type security at the gate these days. I agree. We arrived at 6:55 and there was a large crowd outside the Centerfield gate. When we finally got through the line for the alleged STH entrance (which was clearly not being enforced in the least), I dutifully opened my 2006 Miller Lite Nats carry bag (best promo swag ever, by the way) to display two bottles of unopened water and a portable iPhone charger. I was then asked to empty my left pocket which displayed a slight bulge. The contents? — I kid you not — my keys. Seriously? Needless to say we missed the first pitch. When the crowd is 42,000 instead of 28,000 this could be a serious problem. Maybe they are practicing for the post season when we can probably expect "tightened" security. Let's hope that "tightened" doesn't include taking your shoes off.

31. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Swift, I saw Stras on an earlier shot. Swami should get reverse credit for that tater, unless Michele activated his jinx. Needed just a little more English on the Harper shot–that only missed by about a foot.

32. NatsLady - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Good, Det getting into a rhythm.

33. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:05 PM

BATS! We need more bats! Same guys can be swinging them, we just need more bats.

34. baseballswami - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Ghost and Section 3 — point taken and would you like me to do it again? I have learned a great deal about negativity this season :) Serioiusy – ball is carrying like crazy. Det has made some adjustments and apparently the hitters are beginning to. I really want RZ to do something special on his bobblehead day. He just extended his hitting streak!

35. Section 222 - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Our offense looks very weak and impotent. Really? Last night they scored 7 with all those bad at bats. And 77 runs in the 10 games since the team meeting. I'll take that kind of impotence any day.

36. Gonat - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Give it time for Buehrle to make some mistake pitches.

37. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Harper's hit. How foul.from our se looked fair

38. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Manassas, it was almost a grazer as it was that close. It was foul.

39. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:14 PM

baseballswami, yep, that's what I'm talking about.

40. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Ozzie ya SCHUMCK, lol walking Flores

41. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:16 PM

going back and firth Nats and Terps, Terps are impressing meBRAVO to NATS for ending the Strass issue, excellent move!!!!

42. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:17 PM

after watching 6 field hockey games, I will relax the rest of day and watch Nats comemback, lol

43. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Det is an auto out. only starter who is

44. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Mick, Ozzie isn't always as dumb as he looks.

45. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:19 PM

you don't need water boarding, just have the terrorists watch B swim meets and field hockey.if my daughter sees this post, I'm done, lol

46. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Ghost… i would have done the same as Ozzie

47. baseballswami - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:20 PM

All right, you guys, I deserve this. The ab's did improve last night during the game and look to be getting better today. I bow to your superior nats knowledge.

48. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM

help me out gang, how did Marlins get their 3 runs… i missed it

49. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I' m stuck in Florida where college football rules. Niether the Marlins nor the Rays are televised today which means I'm (and my budy dj up in Orange Park) are stuck with either Game Day or MLB Lite.

50. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Natsjack your at the right place, with NI lol

51. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:23 PM

HP ump starting to bug me a little

52. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Mick, FP and Bob are letting Tichenor have it from the booth, too.

53. djinFl. - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:24 PM

NJ, at least I have Charley and Dave on the computer. They say Det has to lay it down the middle to get a strike.

54. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:25 PM

From watching from down the line strike zone deems bigger for fish pitching. on TV is it

55. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:26 PM

#4 if your around, as Coach Buddy Burkhead would say…. "Come on Blue"

56. Gonat - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Oh no Adam LaRoche leads to 2 unearned. He may have been screened but still have to make that play.

57. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I know Adam should have had that, but that AB should never had happen, I hate when an umpire destroys a game… its not about you blue, nobody came to Nats Park to watch you…. and if they did, I hope its the supervisors of umpires and he fines or fires you. man that ticks me off!!

58. baseballswami - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:29 PM

mick – it's actually 5. 2 solos in an eventfuly first. Another one on hits in the second. Horrible strike zone. Det settled in. Then LaRoche error scored number 4, Morse is a terrible outfielder and another one scored, but he was saved when the runner tried to go home and was out at the plate for the third out to avoid further damage. Nats were weak at first, but the bats appear to be heating up.

59. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Bad luck, bad luck … good luck. Still cost them two unearned runs.Bad luck getting a strike zone "the size of a tuna can," according to FP; bad luck getting screened on a ground ball to LaRoche for the E-3; and good luck having the Marlins run themselves out of an inning that was totally going their way.

60. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:29 PM

dj… Det has to throw it over a match box

61. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Sofa…. yup

62. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:30 PM

63. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:31 PM

see you later BiG Boy does it again

64. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Bryce didn't miss that one by the foul pole!

65. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Upper deck! 18!

66. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Both walks score. number 1 pet peeve. WALKS

67. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:33 PM

You think if he gets to 35 they have to give him ROY?

68. Unknown - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:33 PM

69. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:34 PM

OK, I meant to type 25 there. 35 might lock Player of the Month, though.

70. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Harper is now tied with Mel Ott for most homers by a 19 year old…. not bad

71. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Is the zone normal size for Burlhe

72. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Unknown said…Some baseball guru should do an analysis on the reasons why the sad sack Miami Marlins have owned the Nationals for eight seasons. This is getting very old.its weird, because every time I watch the Marlins, I doa double take at their record an can't figure out what happen to them.

73. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:38 PM

so what do you all think of Garcia and Duke, i think they will definitely helps us

74. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I may have complimented the Terps too soon, oh well

75. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:40 PM

He brings Stammer 1 inning late.Det was up bases. loaded in 4 th. great tome for Limbo. I told my buddy it was the love except Davey was not ready no One in the bullpen

76. baseballswami - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Clevenger (cubs catcher and mma specialist) got a one game suspension for his part in Thursday night's tickle fight. And I also sometimes wonder, Mick, why the Marlins aren't a better team. They have some very good players, especially hitters. What's our season series look like against them? I think it's better than years past.

77. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:43 PM

swami… glad to hear that about Clevenger, that seems fair

78. Secret wasian man - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Game is tied in my book. Set through 3 strikes and ump walks in on four. Although laroche error was awful. Just another bad game.

79. peric - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Strasburg is very, very good and may become the very best …But the best thing that happened to this team. The guy who, without any quibbling, set the tone for this season is Bryce Harper. I can see him getting the MVP award before he's 21.

80. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Swami, just Clevenger, or is Quirk still "under investigation"?

81. Secret wasian man - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Marlins own us. It's a shame. If fish sweep the nats Ozzie might keep his job. Ughhhhh

82. baseballswami - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:51 PM

That's all I saw on twitter – just clevenger. Still can't believe their pitcher didn't get ejected. Worked out fine, because he was awful and got removed soon after.

83. Secret wasian man - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Pitching stinks in this series.

84. djinFl. - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:52 PM

A friend in Atlanta says they have been wondering why they have not been able to beat us the last few years. Just one of those quirks of sports.

85. Section 222 - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:53 PM

mick, I agree on Garcia and Duke. If Burnett doesn't get healthy, I can definitely see either of them taking his place on the playoff roster. And the other might take the place of our 5th starter. Duke pitched well last night to put us in a position to win. And speaking of lefties, any word on whether MGonzalez will get any further punishment for being tossed after the "brawl" the other night? Sure hope not. Throwing him out him was kind of ticky tack, almost seemed like the umps were looking for some Nat to toss in order to even the score just a little.

86. Section 222 - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Ooops. Guess I owe someone a beer.

87. Secret wasian man - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Why is lee swinging ump gonna put him on for free.

88. peric - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Throwing him out him was kind of ticky tack, almost seemed like the umps were looking for some Nat to toss in order to even the score just a little.I believe Davey pretty much said as much in his post-gamer.

89. Section 222 - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Zim is in serious need of a sports psychologist.

90. baseballswami - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:01 PM

In case some of you are not watching, Detweiler did not pitch badly. The strike zone was a postage stamp for him and there were errors made behind him. The big plus for me was that he never lost his composure at all. He just kept pitching his game. That is progress for him – big time. Please don't throw Det's pitching today in the same category with SS last night. Two totally different things. Also – Donovan Solano, Reyes, Stanton, Lee – not exactly a picnic pitching to them with that strike zone. Stammen has been a bulldog but is struggling to get that third out. Need more offense – 3 won't do it.

91. peric - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Zimmerman doing a great job of convincing Rizzo and the FO that he belongs at first base with Anthony Rendon in the offing.

92. Secret wasian man - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:02 PM

93. Gonat - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:03 PM

baseballswami, Det allowed himself to get rattled. He pitched good and better than what the scoreboard showed although that HR pitch to Stanton was in his wheelhouse.

94. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Zim giveth and Zim taketh. That's what happens when LaRoche is having an off-day.

95. happy 2 pylon - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Wow is this team really in first place? They really have their heads up there you no what's.wA-hole

96. baseballswami - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Werth also having an off day. Can't afford both of them. Morse has been looking very flat to me on offense and defense. Got out of shape during the injury? I always thought he returned too quickly. I still think Det maintained composure much, much more than he did previously when things didn't go well. We have like 5 hits today.

97. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Wow, this is nice, another power righty with a good changeup.

98. Secret wasian man - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Happy to pile love your baseball insight. Did you think of that yourself. Or did you arise from your moms basement and she told you what to say.

99. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Good talk, Ozzie!

100. Exposremains - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:19 PM

They,ve played every team so well, but the way they play the Marlins is embarassing. The poor play, errors, the blowoutsq, the shutout, getting beaten by stanton over and over, gving HR to .160hittets

101. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Zim giveth. and taketh.

102. Secret wasian man - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Yessssssss. Great job, Luv how the boys keep fighting

103. Exposremains - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:20 PM

And yes they just hit a HR and they battle yesterday but it shouldn't be necessary against this team.

104. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM

And Werth wants a pinch-runner for Morse …

105. Section 222 - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Giveth and taketh and giveth again. So many throwing errors recently though. It's pretty bad when you have to hold your breath every time the ball is hit to him.

106. Secret wasian man - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:24 PM

My apologies for wasting a comment attacking a blogger. When I say the team has their heads it means they are not concentrating. To be called an A hole for that is classless. Especially from someone who I've never seen on here before. Go nats.

107. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin:Listening to Complainers Is Bad for Your Brain

108. Section 222 - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Wow. 2nd and 3rd, 1 out. Infield drawn in. Is it too much to ask for Espinosa to get the bat on the ball?

109. Secret wasian man - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Gotta swing at that danny

110. NatsLady - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Geeeeeez, stop with the stupid FLASH FLOOD WARNINGS. I'm tryin' ta watch a baseball game here!

111. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:41 PM

really down on Espi' and Shark, 2 days in a row same situation, all we need is contact. very frustrating

112. baseballswami - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I agree – thought I missed it! Well – it was just Danny striking out. Failure to convert – all we needed was a sac fly there. Missed opportunity. Quite disappointing.

113. Secret wasian man - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Two games in a row and the shark doesn't deliver.

114. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:42 PM

at least least Shark went down swinging, I have no clue what is on Espi's mind taking that last pitch?

115. Secret wasian man - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Mick I agree. And it wasn't like the pitch was borderline.

116. DWS - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Second game in a row sac bunt, squeeze? Speed at third. What am I missing.

117. Secret wasian man - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Heath bell coming in. Keep it close clip. Come on ump. Ridiculous

118. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:46 PM

DWS… great point, why not have Espi bunt???????

119. Section 222 - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Sorry, FP. Pitch track showed the pitch to Bernadina well inside the box, the pitch just now by Clipp was barely on the edge.It really seems like Clipp is having trouble finishing batters off these days. Taking lots of pitches per batters and not getting them to bit at the rising fastball.But then again, he got that K.

120. Secret wasian man - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Des. Team seems to have forgotten how to play small ball. Maybe it was al the HRs against the cubs.

121. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Davey defeats his whole purpose of having perez pinch run by not having Espi bunt with 1 out out?

122. Secret wasian man - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Thanks for the weather carp. It's pouring in Frederick md

123. Secret wasian man - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:52 PM

If tue tornado hits do we finish this tomorrow?

124. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:52 PM

what is important now is that Clip finishes strong, to get confidence back

125. Secret wasian man - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Ok let's get this thing.

126. Section 222 - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Quick, text your friends at the park. It's going to rain. Hahaha.

127. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:02 PM

its a twister, its twister, DOOOOOROTHY!

128. baseballswami - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:02 PM

That eighth inning opportunity that was squandered is looming very large right now. We would be done. Too much long ball mentality. Although, a long ball to the warning track by Danny would have tied the game. No contact. That failure to execute in the eighth with runners on and no outs was not good baseball.

129. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Wow, really storming in Shaw. Horizontal rain in sheets, massive gusts, gotta be upwards of 60. Expect power outages.

130. NatsLady - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Storm in Baileys Crossroads, trees look like a hurricane is hitting.

131. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Odd, the storm is coming from the west, but the wind here seems to be out of the north. Letting up a bit now, the worst is past but there's plenty of rain, maybe an hour?, behind this. Could take a while.

132. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:06 PM

swami… well said, the thing that really puzzles me is that Espi can bunt well…. one out 2nd and 3rd, Perez pinch running at 3rd…. what am I missing here???? Davey has been right in 99% of the time, this is a rare game where he did not coach well

133. Secret wasian man - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I flipped away. Did they play the bottom of 9th

134. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:08 PM

That 8th inning was like deja vous from last night with Espi and Bernadina striking out.Espi has to start making contact in those situations.

135. baseballswami - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Secret – no — Clip finished the top and armageddon rolled in just as Bell was getting to the mound.

136. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Ghost…. between Desi and Espi, Davey should have bunted with Perez on third…. this was simply a coaching mistake.

137. Secret wasian man - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Thank you. Will they call it. Or wait to finish.

138. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Clip looked good, so that is a good thing

139. baseballswami - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:12 PM

And so I am watching the sports news while I wait and see that a college player collided with a teammate, broke his neck and stopped breathing on the field. Looks like they revived him. Between that and the pitcher fracturing his skull, I need to get a grip. It's just a game, it's just a game, it's just a game. grrrrr. I'm trying really hard. The Nats can thrill me to pieces and frustrate the heck out of me. This storm is no joke.

140. Secret wasian man - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:13 PM

A bunt may get you one run. A base hit would have given them the lead. We had two chances at it and no contact. Players have to deliver.

141. Secret wasian man - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Nats lady I'm with you. Trying to watch mets braves and they have weather on. Ahhhhhh

142. baseballswami - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Why is a sac fly ok but a sac bunt not ok? Danny is a decent bunter and may have even reached safely. Don't remember who was on first, but I think it was the speedy Perez?

143. Swift Eagle - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Desmond and Espinosa are actually not good bunters…I think Davey has more confidence in just letting them hit…Have to say I dislike when posters use words like "stupid" and "embarrassing" when describing the poor ABs and other Nats mistakes….Neither of these words should be used in describing the 2012 Nats…Bad ABs? Yes. Squandered opportunities? Yes. Effort and intelligence has been great all year

144. Secret wasian man - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Swift. Agree. Two bad ABs. Get a hit we win.

145. NatsLady - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Lightening up here, but lost my cell phone service. Hey, Mets, if you hate Larry so much, how about beating his team!!!!?!!!

146. baseballswami - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:33 PM

True – bad ab's , bad approach, over- anxious, but good hitters all the same. I dislike it when those words are used to describe the team or the other posters. Not necessary.

147. baseballswami - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Apparently mlb has decreed that if we can't finish today, the game goes back to 8 and a half and the nats lose.

148. NatsLady - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Ok, so wait it out until 11:59…

149. baseballswami - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Anyone follow Mark on twitter? During the storm he said – here's what it looks like at nats park and showed a wizard of oz tornado pic. Now he is showing a pic of dorothy discovering oz with the color pictures and the sun out. Funny guy, our Mark.

150. Bigfish - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Just got home from the game. Christian Garcia is the real deal. The change-up he threw to his final batter (can't remember who) was Clip-caliber. And 96 on the heater. Seems really poised out there.

151. baseballswami - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Bigfish – glad you are safe. He is looking stronger and stronger. Just in time with Burnett ailing.

152. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:54 PM

I thought Roger was going to bunt. The first baseman was 30 feet behind first on 2-0 it was an easy hit and run.

153. baseballswami - Sep 8, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Anyone read that open letter Jim Kaat wrote to SS? Well – he actually wrote it to get attention for himself. Like we really needed him making SS feel like a victim and stirring the pot even farther. I hope they shut up now. I also hope the team plays a tad better when they next take the field – either today or tomorrow. Those two errors are looming as large as leaving all those runners on base in the eighth. Weather should be gorgeous tomorrow. Need a curly W.

154. DWS - Sep 8, 2012 at 9:10 PM

A simple bunt yesterday and today might have made a difference. Today with Eury on third? Can't win the game until you tie it. Hope all you people are safe.

155. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 8, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Medlen barely getting to 89 on his fastball. Nats will see him Friday.

156. peric - Sep 8, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Moat all of them have to stop behaving like Little League and going for the fences. Perhaps that is fall out from the Cubs series or Harper going on his first true tear. Everyone wants to join or be BamBam? That won't work

157. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:01 PM

glad I left when I did.FS

158. Exposremains - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Sorry Swift but the way they play the Marlins is maybe not embarrassing but close to it. You're right to say that they've had a great year which makes it even more puzzling. Like DJ said, the game is 99% mental and they have a mental blockage against the Marlins. It would be one team I would be afraid to see them take on a playoff series. Its the good thing they won't be there.

159. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:06 PM

btw that home run by Harper was a blast. Long live Nats and long live Harper!!!

160. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:09 PM

dumb question time, if weather is looking this bad and you know, delay is more than two hours, why not play half inning tomorrow before 3rd game? I understand that this was an afternoon game and lot of time before sun goes down, but what is the point of waiting around for so long.

161. peric - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Like DJ said, the game is 99% mental and they have a mental blockage against the Marlins.Bit of a let down after the Cubs. They seem to have forgotten how certain teams in their division have their number … like the Fish and the Phillies. You listen to Jim Kaat and the old codgers talk about the world series. Even with Strasburg does this team look like they will make it that far in their first year in the playoffs? And back in Kaat's day they sent coal miners back to work with black lung. Would you do that now? I don't see any difference between Strasburg and the coal miner. Sure, its his arm and a coal miner could like so that he could continue to work. Is it right?

162. Swift Eagle - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:36 PM

BOOM goes Werth, Game Tied…Anyone embarrassed by this team is just…stupid

163. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Thank you Jayson! can anyone explain to me the last 3 at bats??

164. mick - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I feel like after Werth's HR, we should have won this.

165. baseballswami - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Agreed, mick. Can't keep wasting chances. There are fans at the game. Love it.

166. Swift Eagle - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Bell was pretty filthy, Mick…a great AB by Werth to get a 3-2 fastball above the belt….Bell made some nasty pitches to the other guys.Once again, the NL East teams are so much better than the rest of the divisions, no matter what the records say…what other 4th place team has guys like Stanton and Reyes?…Even the last place Mets have D Wright and a Cy Young candidate…

167. Exposremains - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Thats my opinion.You have your own, I don't agree with all of them. Insults are not welcome. I dont think they play well against Marlins even if they win today.

168. baseballswami - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:51 PM

This is part of the problem I have with the reds. Who do the play? Houston? Look who we play over and over. Our last place team is always dangerous. Be interesting to see what happens next tear when the Astros leave.

169. Swift Eagle - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:53 PM

The Reds also didn't have to play the Yankees, Orioles, Rays, and Red Sox…..

170. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Any One know direct TV channel night for MSN

171. dabassguy1 - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Adam bringing the speed. He is our best first to third guy. NOT.Excellent effort.

172. Swift Eagle - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Hopefully they've learned from the poor ABs yesterday…Just need a flyball

173. Secret wasian man - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Cmon

174. Swift Eagle - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:59 PM

WINNER WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER

175. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 8, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Corey brown

176. Secret wasian man - Sep 8, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Yeeeesssssssss. Just walked in from 5 pm church. Yessssssss. I little prayer never hurts. How did we tie in the 9 th

177. Swift Eagle - Sep 8, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Now 9-8 v Miami this year…

178. baseballswami - Sep 8, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Peric must be delirious!

179. Swift Eagle - Sep 8, 2012 at 11:01 PM

SWM…A monster HR by Werth on a 3-2 fastball in the 9th off Bell

180. dabassguy1 - Sep 8, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Werth hit a homer on a 3-2 count in an 8 pitch at bat. Tie game.

181. MicheleS - Sep 8, 2012 at 11:02 PM

WOOOOOO HOOOOOO

182. Secret wasian man - Sep 8, 2012 at 11:02 PM

To all the fans who hung around, especially since we were behind, YOU GUYS ROCK,

183. Secret wasian man - Sep 8, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Thanks dbass guy. I heard a rumor there is football tomorrow. As well as the nats are doing does anybody care. Go nats

184. waddu eye no - Sep 8, 2012 at 11:04 PM

heh heh heh

185. Positively Half St. - Sep 8, 2012 at 11:27 PM

So sweet. Do what you need to, Atlanta, but you ain't getting any closer.+1/2St.

186. SonnyG10 - Sep 9, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Way to steal a victory, Nats!!!

187. mick - Sep 9, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Swift… just read your post about NL East… you are spot on