Sep 8, 2012, 11:01 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
A major storm system struck Nationals Park before the bottom of the ninth.
Game in a nutshell: The day began with official news from Davey Johnson that Stephen Strasburg is being shut down now for the remainder of the season, putting a damper on everyone's mood. Things remained sour when the game began with Ross Detwiler serving up a home run to Marlins leadoff man Gorkys Hernandez, then another to Giancarlo Stanton. Some bad defense and some bad umpiring left everyone in a foul mood, but then Ozzie Guillen handed over a three-run lead to the Miami bullpen, and suddenly this became a game again. The Nats rallied to score twice in the bottom of the eighth, cutting the deficit to 6-5. Then just as the bottom of the ninth was about to begin, a massive storm system swept through the area, sent fans scurrying for the concourse and delayed the conclusion of the game. Finally, after 2 hours and 33 minutes, the bottom of the ninth resumed. With a bang. Jayson Werth crushed a 3-2 fastball from Heath Bell into the Red Porch for the game-tying homer, ultimately forcingRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Roark leads Nats into Lakeland to face Tigers
- Phillies Rollins won't waive no-trade clause with record in sight
- Former Nats reliever Bill Bray retiring from baseball
- Souza, Solis, Goodwin among Nationals' latest cuts
- Zimmerman gets first taste of first base
- Zimmermann gives up first run as Nats split squad loses 2-1
- Nats acquire IF Brandon Laird from Royals
- Zimmermann, Gio pitch in Nats split-squad games
- Wainwright wants Bryce Harper to take it easy on him (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Fernandez face off as Marlins host Nats