Sep 8, 2012, 11:01 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
A major storm system struck Nationals Park before the bottom of the ninth.
Game in a nutshell: The day began with official news from Davey Johnson that Stephen Strasburg is being shut down now for the remainder of the season, putting a damper on everyone's mood. Things remained sour when the game began with Ross Detwiler serving up a home run to Marlins leadoff man Gorkys Hernandez, then another to Giancarlo Stanton. Some bad defense and some bad umpiring left everyone in a foul mood, but then Ozzie Guillen handed over a three-run lead to the Miami bullpen, and suddenly this became a game again. The Nats rallied to score twice in the bottom of the eighth, cutting the deficit to 6-5. Then just as the bottom of the ninth was about to begin, a massive storm system swept through the area, sent fans scurrying for the concourse and delayed the conclusion of the game. Finally, after 2 hours and 33 minutes, the bottom of the ninth resumed. With a bang. Jayson Werth crushed a 3-2 fastball from Heath Bell into the Red Porch for the game-tying homer, ultimately forcingRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?
- LaRoche finally gets to savor first walk-off homer
- Nats beat Diamondbacks in third straight walk-off win