Sep 8, 2012, 11:01 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
A major storm system struck Nationals Park before the bottom of the ninth.
Game in a nutshell: The day began with official news from Davey Johnson that Stephen Strasburg is being shut down now for the remainder of the season, putting a damper on everyone's mood. Things remained sour when the game began with Ross Detwiler serving up a home run to Marlins leadoff man Gorkys Hernandez, then another to Giancarlo Stanton. Some bad defense and some bad umpiring left everyone in a foul mood, but then Ozzie Guillen handed over a three-run lead to the Miami bullpen, and suddenly this became a game again. The Nats rallied to score twice in the bottom of the eighth, cutting the deficit to 6-5. Then just as the bottom of the ninth was about to begin, a massive storm system swept through the area, sent fans scurrying for the concourse and delayed the conclusion of the game. Finally, after 2 hours and 33 minutes, the bottom of the ninth resumed. With a bang. Jayson Werth crushed a 3-2 fastball from Heath Bell into the Red Porch for the game-tying homer, ultimately forcingRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Marlins 6, Nats 2: Another misplay opens the floodgates
- Must-win? Sunday's game may be that for Nats
- Scherzer doubtful for Tuesday's start
- Slumping Nats already 7 games back in NL East
- Bats silent in 8-0 Marlins win over Washington
- Thumb swollen, Scherzer can't throw in bullpen
- Nationals try to get back on track in Miami
- Lack of late-inning execution holding back Nats
- Marlins 3, Nats 2: Familiar storyline leads to loss
- Intentional or not, Harper leads MLB in walks