Game 140: Marlins at Nats

Sep 9, 2012, 3:10 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals seek a series victory over the Marlins this afternoon.

This won't rank among the Nationals' most significant accomplishments this season, but should they win today, they would cross one more hurdle off their list: Beating the Marlins in a season series.

Entering this afternoon's game, the Nats are 9-8 against Miami. They haven't boasted a winning record against their pesky rivals from South Florida since 2007 (when they also went 10-8). In fact, from 2008-11, they were an abominable 21-50 against the Fish, who for some reason have always been a thorn in this franchise's side.

So Edwin Jackson and Co. will try to put an official end to that losing history today, with Jackson (celebrating his 29th birthday) also seeking his 10th win of the season (to join Gio Gonzalez, Stephen Strasburg and Jordan Zimmermann as double-digit game winners in the Nats rotation).

You'll notice a couple of surprising names missing from the Nationals' lineup: Ryan Zimmerman and Ian Desmond. It's rare either guy gets a day off, but Davey Johnson has wanted to give both players a chance for a break before we hit the final stretch of the season.

It's a beautiful Sunday afternoon in the District. I've been told there are a few NFL games being played today, so if your TV is fixed on that sport this afternoon, rest assured you can get plenty of updates on the best team in baseball right here…

MIAMI MARLINS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, Ch. 50, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Partly cloudy, 78 degrees, Wind 9 mph in from LF

2B Steve Lombardozzi
CF Bryce Harper
RF Jayson Werth
1B Adam LaRoche

Read more ยป

1. Knoxville Nat - Sep 9, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Glad to see Lombo getting a start today as he needs some AB's and some reps in the infield. Resting Zimmerman and Desmond also a good idea. Go Nats!!!

2. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 9, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Happy birthday, Mr. Jackson. How about some nice run support from your offense as a present? Put some pressure on Mr. Nolasco early, then keep it on; don't let up. The best way to end a home stand is with a curly W to take with you to New York. GYFNG!

3. mick - Sep 9, 2012 at 3:20 PM

glad to see Lombo as well

4. mick - Sep 9, 2012 at 3:21 PM

oh…. have fun gang, I am leaving for ball park right now GO NATS!!!!!

5. Jim Webster - Sep 9, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Continued from previous thread…Broiled fish.A lovely dish.

6. NatsFanJim - Sep 9, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I read this morning that Davey is most unhappy and growing impatient with Zimm's pathetic throws. Davey knows what no one else dares to admit: You can't go far in the post season with a defensive liability at 3B. another way: a 3B with a lolipop throw will cost you one day — and the Gods will make it happen when it matters.Welcome Lombo.

7. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 9, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Do tell, NatsFanJim…. just where did you read those remarks by Davey?

8. SonnyG10 - Sep 9, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Go Nats. Let's take the season series today.

9. Theophilus T. S. - Sep 9, 2012 at 4:03 PM

NatsFanJim received a Howler from Peric.

10. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 9, 2012 at 4:04 PM

it is gonna be a tough game I think. don't want to sound negative, but Zim is about one player who owns Nolasco. Besides Jackson has like 1-5 record or something. Good luck Nats!!!

11. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Sep 9, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Balkin' Bob Davidson at first base umpire.Over/under on today's balks: 1.5Come to a complete stop at the stretch, do not pass go, do not collect $200, comb your hair in a neat part, have your spikes spit-shined, do not blink during the national anthem. Balkin' Bob is in the house.

12. A DC Wonk - Sep 9, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Fear and Ignorance said… I hope he never throws another pitch for this organization. Putting him in this situation is all Rizzo's fault,"Putting him in this situation".Rigghhhttt. Perhaps it went down like this:One night in 2010, Rizzo sent covert henchmen doctors over to Strasburg's residence. Once there, they administered anesthesia, and got into Stras' elbow and snipped part of his tendon — ensuring it would snap and end up requiring TJ surgery.That was the easy part — what folks don't know until this day is how Strasburg didn't notice anything the next morning.Be that as it may, it was quite a feat, and, so, yes, we can lay the blame here completely on Rizzo. If I were Stras, I'd be plenty angry at Rizzo for that, too.F&I, you gotta better explanation?

13. Swift Eagle - Sep 9, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Jack, there's a piece in the WashPost about Ryan working on his throwing mechanics with Jeff Garber…but the part about Davey being "unhappy and impatient" is total troll make-believe BS…but I'm sure you already knew that…

14. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 9, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Yep…that's what I was trying to point out.

15. The Retired Journalist - Sep 9, 2012 at 4:27 PM

There's football today? As I tell people, I don't pay attention to minor sports until after the World Series.

16. Doc - Sep 9, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Where'd you read about that NatsFan Jim?Last I heard, Davey said Zim's occasional abberrant throws weren't a concern for him. Not that managers don't speak with forked tongues sometimes.However good Lombo is at 3B,which is pretty good, I don't think that he can replace Zim. Lombo's arm isn't as good as Zim's, even on a day when Zim is airmailing it.

17. hiramhover - Sep 9, 2012 at 4:41 PM

DC WonkNot a bad response, but that kind of troll-ery probably doesn't deserve a response in the first place.

18. Doc - Sep 9, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Hey NatsJack, since we have you on the line, give us your take on your scouting work on CGar?I read a while ago that Christian was listed on the Nats' roster for the AFL. Wad's that all about?? Garcia has passed go in AA, AAA, and is doing the real deal in The Bigs!Are the Nats trying to showcase him for a possible trade?Jus' wonderin'.

19. Candide - Sep 9, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Was offline most of yesterday, and had to replace my modem this am. So for those of you breathlessly awaiting my reflections on yesterday's game:Cunegonde was in Dallas (she's flying home as I write this), so I took a friend along. Was worried that Zimm might repeat his performance from his last bobblehead day a couple of years ago, when he celebrated the day by putting on a Golden Sombrero.Was kinda disgusted with Det at first – couldn't see from section 219 that the ump was squeezing him. But even so, he should have left the field with no worse than a tie game, because three of the Marlins' six runs against him were unearned; really the game shouldn't have gone into extra innings.I found myself muttering, "C'mon, you guys, these aren't the Cubs any more, you have to BEAT them!"Thought LaRoche was equally to blame for Zimm's throwing error, but haven't seen the replay. What really bothered me was that the last few games, they haven't been playing sharp defense. Oh sure, not many errors. But there have been a number of balls they didn't quite turn – not ruled errors as such, but sharp play would have turned them into outs. Noticed this during the Cubs series.I told my friend I was going to have to leave no later than 4:00, because I had to go back to Alexandria, get changed, feed the cat, pick up ski club meeting supplies, and then be in Crystal City by 6:00. I left after the 8th inning, got to my car just as the first rain drops fell, and thirty seconds later, my car was engulfed in a whirlwind of dirt from the concrete plant.Got home okay, cat was nowhere to be found – she won't go out in the rain, but also won't come in out of it if she gets caught. Changed, packed the car, got to Crystal City in time despite several down trees. Checked game status every 5 minutes on MLB Lite. When I saw it was 6-6, I went to my Nats friend Pete to fill him in.A little later, I saw the Nats had the bases loaded with one out in the 10th, and told Pete, who was very happy to hear it. Then a couple of minutes later, I saw the score change to 7-6, and in the middle of a crowded room, I yelled, "Woo-HOOOO! Nats WIN!!!"Sorry, MicheleS – I neglected to give you credit.

20. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 9, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Doc… I saw him first last fall in Instructs and he looked like a man among boys. Power sinker and a killer slider. Now that he's on the 40 man, I think they just want him to get more work at ahighly competitive venue like the AFL. I tried to get Rizzo to show him to us during a Nats Spring Training game last spring but they wanted to bring him along slowly. After all, three surgeries including 2 TJ's screams caution.He's the real deal and I doubt they would trade him at this stage.

21. Candide - Sep 9, 2012 at 4:55 PM

OBTW, the Zimm bobblehead has the leg lift. But his head is facing the wrong way – if he actually swung like that, he'd be looking across the plate into section 120 or so as the pitcher was releasing the ball.

22. Section 222 - Sep 9, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Ok, so NFJ totally made up having heard that Davey is concerned with Zim's throwing, but don't you think he is? And aren't you? I sure am.Zim needs to do whatever he needs to do to get over this problem — whether it's work with Jeff Garber, a sports psychologist, an accupuncturist, a spiritual advisor, a hypnotist, or a witch doctor. You all know I'm not a troll or a hater. Anyone who thinks this isn't a serious problem is letting their fandom get in the way of their objectivity.

23. sjm308 - Sep 9, 2012 at 5:13 PM

2's – count me as one who does not think this is a serious problem.He makes so many great plays & yet we focus on the poor ones.First day in Calif. was spectacular.Stone brewery all that it is cracked up to be.No baseball at 10am but I do have the skins on.Will be coming back here often for updatesGo NATS. Go playoffs. Score first

24. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 9, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Hey Sunshine I have shocked no balks yet. With Balking Bob @ 1st a balk is almost a sure thing

25. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 9, 2012 at 5:29 PM

I thought Espinosa needed the rest.

26. Section 222 - Sep 9, 2012 at 5:31 PM

308, no doubt he makes a lot of great plays. We've both witnessed our fair share, though if you listen to Carp every single play he makes is a web gem, which is a bit much. But he also makes a lot of errors on routine plays. 11 throwing errors already this year. His 14 total errors is 3rd most in the NL. And the problem is getting worse, not better. I'm worried that one of those air mailed throws will come at a very inopportune time in the postseason, and there will be nothing ALR the magician can do to save us.

27. Doc - Sep 9, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Thanks NatsJack!One of the best relief efforts yesterday against the hated Fish in consecutive innings. 2K's by CGar, 3K's each by Tinkerbell, and the Bat Clipper.Garcia is a real find!!! Imagine 4 consecutive innings next year by MPHRod, Garcia, Storen, & Clip!!! The destroyed hitters will be looking into getting a vendor's license and selling popcorn and beer at the next game!!!

28. SCNatsFan - Sep 9, 2012 at 5:41 PM

To me it almost looks like a loss of concentration at times for Zim.And this can't be good news for DeRosa that we sit our ss and 3b and he sits in ht esame spot.

29. phil dunton - Sep 9, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Espinosa needs a rest a lot more than Desmond does.

30. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 9, 2012 at 6:07 PM

What did I say NatsJack about the shallow play on these pitchers. Probably lost it in the sun but easier to camp in under it.

31. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 9, 2012 at 6:07 PM

So this one is starting to look like that 9-0 laugher in Miami last week Tuesday.

32. Exposremains - Sep 9, 2012 at 6:08 PM

They really play top notch baseball against the Marlins

33. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 9, 2012 at 6:08 PM

After the first 2 outs I wrote a note to release after 3rd out asking who is doing better SHad or RG III. Amazing 4 hits later I had to change the note. That was a quick change of fortune. Need hitters to reply immediately.

34. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 9, 2012 at 6:11 PM

SCNatsFan……Davey inserting 2 left handed bats against Nolasco. Nothing against DeRosa.

35. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 9, 2012 at 6:12 PM

There CF had frigid too but made the play. The Sun has helped the Marlins get 2 extra runs

36. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 9, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Starting pitching this series has been the weakest link. Might be first series this season we could say that. So far 13 runs 12 earned in 10 innings.

37. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 9, 2012 at 6:35 PM

There CF had frigid too but made the play.Can someone translate that for me?

38. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 9, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Nolasco opposing batting average is .283. If not for the Hard weak hitting against him through 3 games the average would be way over .300Why can the Hard not him when the rest of the league has no problem.

39. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 9, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Sofa…I need help on his 2:37 post as well.

40. Secret wasian man - Sep 9, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Manasss nats, you beat me to it. Probably gonna drop the 7.5 lead to 5.5 lead. Not a good weekend at all. Hope getting away from the fish will help.

41. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 9, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Sorry the auto correct is worse than my fingers hitting the key.what I typed before auto correct screwed it.Their CF had no problem with son.

42. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 9, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Lead off walk as it so often does scores.5 runs after 2 outs. come on Shad what is the deal.McCarty as usual is reactionary not preventive in coming to the mound.

43. MicheleS - Sep 9, 2012 at 6:49 PM

JINX!!!

44. Secret wasian man - Sep 9, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Wonder if Edwin is losing sleep. We should shut him down for Zacharski duke. Sorry but I'm frustrated. This pitching for most part has been awful this weekend.

45. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 9, 2012 at 6:57 PM

The starters 12 IP 15 R 13 Earned. as I said worse series of season.

46. Secret wasian man - Sep 9, 2012 at 6:59 PM

May I suggest Fox 5. A much more entertaining game to watch.

47. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 9, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Mets tie it at 2

48. Secret wasian man - Sep 9, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Davey is starting to over manage. Put your best roster in and sit down. Zimm and desi out and we have no hits.

49. Secret wasian man - Sep 9, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Hey Manasss are you and I the only ones on here? Hahaha

50. phil dunton - Sep 9, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Davey, you woke up a little late from ypur nap!

51. Exposremains - Sep 9, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I'm really glad the Marlins will not be in the playoffs.

52. Oldguy - Sep 9, 2012 at 7:06 PM

I went over to the BAL-NY game and the O's announcer said "The Nationals take the NL East." At least he thinks we've sewed it up. Maybe Davey does too.

53. Secret wasian man - Sep 9, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Heard the same thing. Be quiet bmore guys. Ugh what a jinx.

54. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 9, 2012 at 7:10 PM

So I guess the Nats aren't going to end the year on a 24 game winning streak like some people on this site seem to have expected.

55. Secret wasian man - Sep 9, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Glad Tracy's in for zimm. Nats jack I appreciate your sarcasm and I get it. But you have to admit this game is really lackluster.

56. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 9, 2012 at 7:15 PM

I expect to go 162-0 until first loss. Then 161-1 etcflipping to RG III at commercials.He has played more consistent against a better team than Shad did today.Still love Hard despite lethargic effort through 5

57. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 9, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Check my post back in the second inning. I said then this game was going like rhe 9-0 laugher in Miami last week.

58. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 9, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Ok batters don't end this home stand on a pathetic effort. Play like you have most of the series. Nolasco is just not Ch Young like you make him out to be.

59. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 9, 2012 at 7:27 PM

No one got the wake up call for the game I guess.

60. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 9, 2012 at 7:35 PM

David Wright must be waiting til tomorrow to hit, as he usually hits us well. Dinky ground out with go ahead run on third.

61. Jim Webster - Sep 9, 2012 at 7:43 PM

How do you spell "discouraged?"

62. natscan reduxit - Sep 9, 2012 at 7:46 PM

"… 478th of the year against the Nationals. His batting average against them is 3.512 …"… clearly, Mark is ready for some football…. in the meantime, go nats.

63. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 9, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Nats weren't ready for baseball today either

64. Secret wasian man - Sep 9, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Fans should get there money back. Gutless. Put the damn best players in and beat the mets.

65. Secret wasian man - Sep 9, 2012 at 7:59 PM

What scares the heck out of me is if we should choke the division and end up with wild card that's only one game. And the nats have shown that they can lay some big eggs.

66. rabbit34 - Sep 9, 2012 at 8:10 PM

They must have the Redskins game on in the dugout!

67. rabbit34 - Sep 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

What's all the fuss about Zimmerman's throws? All he has to do is throw like a mad-man, like it's a bang-bang play. He is always accurate on a difficult play, so just always throw like the play is difficult. Problem solved. See, you guys need me.

68. SCNatsFan - Sep 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM

An off day. They have earned it. Would have preferred the long trip out of town for Ozzy but no big deal.

69. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 9, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Mets walk 2 in top 10 leading to sac fly.

70. Exposremains - Sep 9, 2012 at 8:28 PM

5.5. big opportunity miss on last place club.

71. Secret wasian man - Sep 9, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Only up 5.5 games now. Bad weekend. Better wake up against mets.

72. Secret wasian man - Sep 9, 2012 at 8:32 PM

They keep having DESERVED off days they will blow the division. Bogus comment SCNnatsfan

73. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 9, 2012 at 8:34 PM

David Wright a Nats killer but is worthless against the Braves

74. Secret wasian man - Sep 9, 2012 at 8:36 PM

You shouldn't need the mets help when your playing the last place team at home. Pathetic effort. Pathetic managing.

75. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 9, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I have no trouble with days off. That made no difference here. The team was simply not engaged as a group.Of more concern to me is bad starting pitching 3 straight game.

76. NatsFanJim - Sep 10, 2012 at 12:25 AM

To Rabbit: Sounds easy, but it's not so. True Zimmerman does well on bang-bang plays. But his brain cannot fool him into making an easy throw into a bang – bang play.Psychology 101 – at most.See, you need me — but life experience and an education more.

77. rabbit34 - Sep 10, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Sounds like someone needs to take Psyc 101 again. 'N it Aint me!