Sep 9, 2012, 3:10 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals seek a series victory over the Marlins this afternoon.
This won't rank among the Nationals' most significant accomplishments this season, but should they win today, they would cross one more hurdle off their list: Beating the Marlins in a season series.
Entering this afternoon's game, the Nats are 9-8 against Miami. They haven't boasted a winning record against their pesky rivals from South Florida since 2007 (when they also went 10-8). In fact, from 2008-11, they were an abominable 21-50 against the Fish, who for some reason have always been a thorn in this franchise's side.
So Edwin Jackson and Co. will try to put an official end to that losing history today, with Jackson (celebrating his 29th birthday) also seeking his 10th win of the season (to join Gio Gonzalez, Stephen Strasburg and Jordan Zimmermann as double-digit game winners in the Nats rotation).
You'll notice a couple of surprising names missing from the Nationals' lineup: Ryan Zimmerman and Ian Desmond. It's rare either guy gets a day off, but Davey Johnson has wanted to give both players a chance for a break before we hit the final stretch of the season.
It's a beautiful Sunday afternoon in the District. I've been told there are a few NFL games being played today, so if your TV is fixed on that sport this afternoon, rest assured you can get plenty of updates on the best team in baseball right here…
MIAMI MARLINS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, Ch. 50, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Partly cloudy, 78 degrees, Wind 9 mph in from LF
2B Steve Lombardozzi
CF Bryce Harper
RF Jayson Werth
1B Adam LaRoche
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Month to forget continues for Scherzer, Nats
- Scherzer's struggles continue in Nationals' 4-3 loss to Marlins
- Hip surgery for Span, but Taylor's knee OK
- Game Thread: Nationals open series vs. Marlins
- Desperate Nationals recall OF from AAA Syracuse
- MLB Power Rankings: More movement in AL East
- Ross shines against former team, pulled early for innings limit
- Span likely out for season after latest injury
- Nats banged up in 4-2 victory over Padres, win third straight series
- Updated: Taylor leaves Nats-Padres game after colliding with wall