Sep 9, 2012, 12:00 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Stephen Strasburg lasted only three innings last night against the Marlins.
Updated at 8:00 p.m.
Stephen Strasburg was adamant. He wanted to pitch again this season, not only next week in New York but throughout September and into October if the Nationals proceed to reach the postseason for the first time in club history.
No matter what Strasburg thought about the Nationals’ premature shutdown plan, the right-hander was never going to be allowed to control his own fate. Mike Rizzo and Davey Johnson were going to make that call, and on Saturday morning they decided the time had arrived to end their young ace’s season.
The news wasn’t easy for Strasburg to accept.
“I don’t know if I’m ever going to accept it, to be honest with you,” he said some nine hours later, after the Nationals completed a dramatic, rain-delayed, 7-6 win over the Marlins to move one step closer to the NL East title. “It’s something that I’m not happy about at all. That’s not why I play the game. I play the game to obviously be a good teammate and to win. You don’t grow up dreaming of playing in the big leagues to get shut down when the games start to matter.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta