Sep 9, 2012, 12:00 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Stephen Strasburg lasted only three innings last night against the Marlins.
Updated at 8:00 p.m.
Stephen Strasburg was adamant. He wanted to pitch again this season, not only next week in New York but throughout September and into October if the Nationals proceed to reach the postseason for the first time in club history.
No matter what Strasburg thought about the Nationals’ premature shutdown plan, the right-hander was never going to be allowed to control his own fate. Mike Rizzo and Davey Johnson were going to make that call, and on Saturday morning they decided the time had arrived to end their young ace’s season.
The news wasn’t easy for Strasburg to accept.
“I don’t know if I’m ever going to accept it, to be honest with you,” he said some nine hours later, after the Nationals completed a dramatic, rain-delayed, 7-6 win over the Marlins to move one step closer to the NL East title. “It’s something that I’m not happy about at all. That’s not why I play the game. I play the game to obviously be a good teammate and to win. You don’t grow up dreaming of playing in the big leagues to get shut down when the games start to matter.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury