Sep 10, 2012, 10:12 PM EST
Burnett, who hasn’t appeared in any of the Nationals last seven games due to lingering elbow irritation, threw 15 pitches in the bullpen prior to the Nationals’ series opener against the Mets. He said the elbow isn’t 100 percent healthy — “I mean, it’s September, so it’s not going to be 100 percent,” he said — but feels considerably better than it did after his last appearance.
“It was just more typical ball flight that I’m used to seeing and movement,” he said. “It probably hadn’t been like that in 2-3 weeks.”
Though Burnett was hopeful he’d be cleared to return to game action Tuesday, Johnson said he’s likely to wait one more day, wanting to make sure his setup man makes it through a light tossing session first.
“I don’t know how much he put into the ‘pen,” the manager said. “Was it game-like, or what? Normally coming back from something bothering him, I give him a day of rest to regroup, and then I go. But I would expect he’d want to be in tomorrow night. I would expect that of Sean: My riverboat gambler.”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Giolito & Turner, Nats' farm system ranked highly by Baseball America
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen