Sep 10, 2012, 10:12 PM EDT
Burnett, who hasn’t appeared in any of the Nationals last seven games due to lingering elbow irritation, threw 15 pitches in the bullpen prior to the Nationals’ series opener against the Mets. He said the elbow isn’t 100 percent healthy — “I mean, it’s September, so it’s not going to be 100 percent,” he said — but feels considerably better than it did after his last appearance.
“It was just more typical ball flight that I’m used to seeing and movement,” he said. “It probably hadn’t been like that in 2-3 weeks.”
Though Burnett was hopeful he’d be cleared to return to game action Tuesday, Johnson said he’s likely to wait one more day, wanting to make sure his setup man makes it through a light tossing session first.
“I don’t know how much he put into the ‘pen,” the manager said. “Was it game-like, or what? Normally coming back from something bothering him, I give him a day of rest to regroup, and then I go. But I would expect he’d want to be in tomorrow night. I would expect that of Sean: My riverboat gambler.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent