Sep 10, 2012, 10:12 PM EST
Burnett, who hasn’t appeared in any of the Nationals last seven games due to lingering elbow irritation, threw 15 pitches in the bullpen prior to the Nationals’ series opener against the Mets. He said the elbow isn’t 100 percent healthy — “I mean, it’s September, so it’s not going to be 100 percent,” he said — but feels considerably better than it did after his last appearance.
“It was just more typical ball flight that I’m used to seeing and movement,” he said. “It probably hadn’t been like that in 2-3 weeks.”
Though Burnett was hopeful he’d be cleared to return to game action Tuesday, Johnson said he’s likely to wait one more day, wanting to make sure his setup man makes it through a light tossing session first.
“I don’t know how much he put into the ‘pen,” the manager said. “Was it game-like, or what? Normally coming back from something bothering him, I give him a day of rest to regroup, and then I go. But I would expect he’d want to be in tomorrow night. I would expect that of Sean: My riverboat gambler.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Who is the Nats' best player at his position?
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair