Burnett throws, available Wednesday

Sep 10, 2012, 10:12 PM EDT

NEW YORK — Sean Burnett threw off a bullpen mound this afternoon and reported no pain in his elbow, though manager Davey Johnson doesn’t plan to use the left-hander before Wednesday.

Burnett, who hasn’t appeared in any of the Nationals last seven games due to lingering elbow irritation, threw 15 pitches in the bullpen prior to the Nationals’ series opener against the Mets. He said the elbow isn’t 100 percent healthy — “I mean, it’s September, so it’s not going to be 100 percent,” he said — but feels considerably better than it did after his last appearance.

“It was just more typical ball flight that I’m used to seeing and movement,” he said. “It probably hadn’t been like that in 2-3 weeks.”

Though Burnett was hopeful he’d be cleared to return to game action Tuesday, Johnson said he’s likely to wait one more day, wanting to make sure his setup man makes it through a light tossing session first.

“I don’t know how much he put into the ‘pen,” the manager said. “Was it game-like, or what? Normally coming back from something bothering him, I give him a day of rest to regroup, and then I go. But I would expect he’d want to be in tomorrow night. I would expect that of Sean: My riverboat gambler.”

1. MicheleS - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Get Healthy Sean…

2. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Burnett throws are apparently not the same as Sofa Throws. Who knew?Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

3. natsfan1a - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM

4. natsfan1a - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:59 PM

5. natsfan1a - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Sean "Gaylord" Burnett has a nice ring to it. :-) Feel better."I would expect that of Sean: My riverboat gambler."