Game 141: Nats at Mets

Sep 10, 2012, 7:38 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals open a three-game series tonight at Citi Field.

NEW YORK — Hello from Flushing Meadows, which is a hopping place today, considering the delayed U.S. Open men's final is about to begin right across the subway tracks from us at Citi Field, where the Nationals open a three-game series tonight against the Mets.

On the heels of a disappointing weekend against the Marlins, the Nats look to get themselves back on track against a New York club that's also playing out the string and using a good number of young guys down the stretch. That includes 25-year-old rookie right-hander Collin McHugh, who tonight makes his third career start. (McHugh shut out the Rockies in his debut, then got roughed up by the Cardinals his next time out.)

After giving Ryan Zimmerman and Ian Desmond yesterday off, Davey Johnson has both regulars back in the lineup. He's got all the regulars starting tonight, as a matter of fact, and he's also got Gio Gonzalez on the mound trying to become the majors' first 19-game winner. (R.A. Dickey has a chance to do it tomorrow against the Nats.)

Plenty of updates to come live from Queens, so please check back…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at NEW YORK METS
Where: Citi Field
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 185
Weather: Clear, 69 degrees, Wind 13 mph in from LF

RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

1. peric - Sep 10, 2012 at 7:47 PM

MASN's site is dead. It could affect coverage.

2. Section 222 - Sep 10, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I like this. Let's get Gio his 19th win and then finally get to Dickey and prevent him from matching that total. And while we're working on individual records, tonight would be a great time for Harper to pass Mel Ott on the teenage homeruns list.

3. peric - Sep 10, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Terrorist hackers appear to be the cause. Not sure those folks realize that their government recently passed the indefinite detention clause for US citizens for any suspicion of any form of terrorism. Not sure they want to go to Guantanamo. Parents should warn their hacker inclined kids.

4. Secret wasian man - Sep 10, 2012 at 7:58 PM

No MASN??? Are you telling me Im stuck watching football? ahhhhhhhhhh

5. Secret wasian man - Sep 10, 2012 at 7:58 PM

No MASN??? Are you telling me Im stuck watching football? ahhhhhhhhhh

6. Feel Wood - Sep 10, 2012 at 8:02 PM

peric said… MASN's site is dead. It could affect coverage.Maybe it's dead to you, but I just now finished reading a couple of articles on it.

7. Scooter - Sep 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM

I met a Mets fan this summer (during my protracted and luxurious beach interlude) who was very happy about McHugh, albeit uncertain that he could ever achieve anything like ace-dom. The kid sounded a bit like Milone, from the guy's description: good pitcher, but limited upside because he's not that physically gifted.Of course, I could have misunderstood. That's just the impression I got.

8. peric - Sep 10, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Maybe it's dead to you, but I just now finished reading a couple of articles on it.Storm of problems verified by twitter. MASN problems verified by Byron Kerr and Pete Kerzel.

9. Candide - Sep 10, 2012 at 8:23 PM

For those of you who were wondering, the red Nats jerseys that Cunegonde and I ordered from China last month came today. Actually, they came Saturday while I was at the ball game, and the PO needed a signature. They're the Majestic jerseys you see at the team store, with the MLB logo, all the original tags attached; the only difference I see is that there's no label at the inside back of the neck showing where it was made, washing instructions, etc. Took almost three weeks to get them, but for sixty bucks for two jerseys, including shipping, I'm not going to complain.

10. peric - Sep 10, 2012 at 8:25 PM

11. Candide - Sep 10, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Mark said…That includes 25-year-old rookie right-hander Collin McHugh, who tonight makes his third career start.Uh-oh. Always get nervous when the Nats face an unheralded rookie pitcher. Matchup usually ends up looking like the two Bobs – Gibson and Uecker.

12. Candide - Sep 10, 2012 at 8:31 PM

peric said…The growing deficit because China refuses to revalue its currency upward might though.1) The deficit is growing because our government is spending more than it takes in. China is simply playing bank. What worries me is that in a few years, the interest on our debts will equal China's defense budget. In other words, we'll be paying for a good chunk of the aircraft carriers they're building.2) If the jerseys are made in China to begin with, FC (the C stands for "China;" ask Cunegonde what the F stands for) is getting paid for it whether I buy it directly from them or from Ted Lerner after he's bought it from FC.

13. Candide - Sep 10, 2012 at 8:33 PM

MASNSports.com is working fine. What I heard on WTOP is that a couple of million sites supported by godaddy are down, after being hacked.

14. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 10, 2012 at 8:40 PM

MASN is not working for me, not that I ever visit it.Anyways, Candide where did you buy the jerseys from? amazon or some other site? thank you.

15. MicheleS - Sep 10, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Mark's on the road trip. YES! Mark please step put of the press box before the game starts. We need the runs. You can go watch the tennis ;-)For 1A who may still be vacationing:GO GIO!! GO BATS! GYFNG!

16. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 10, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Nolasco was Named NL Player of the Week.

17. Natslifer - Sep 10, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Among other things, Go Daddy's DNS (Domain Name Server) was hacked and is down. They may be the largest domain name registrar in the world. If you had any address managed by them cached, then you don't have a problem. If you didn't, then GoDaddy can't resolve your english domain name to an IP address and get you where you're trying to go.

18. peric - Sep 10, 2012 at 9:11 PM

If the jerseys are made in China to begin with, FC (the C stands for "China;" ask Cunegonde what the F stands for) is getting paid for it whether I buy it directly from them or from Ted Lerner after he's bought it from FC.You are right of course. I was merely pointing to the elephant in the room that many take for granted or seem to ignore. Your concerns are valid and I assume its why Obama has taken the focus off of the Middle East and is moving it to mainland China. They've built some Fort Meade sized installations on some disputed islands to do snooping which hasn't endeared them to the Chinese government. Meanwhile, China has embarked on a project that dwarfs the building of the Great Wall. They are building an enormous network of underground tunnels in which to store weapons (especially nuclear) in case of an attack. Looks like they expect something to happen soon. Kind of scary to think that we are supporting their military industrial complex.

19. peric - Sep 10, 2012 at 9:12 PM

I've got MASN back now.

20. peric - Sep 10, 2012 at 9:21 PM

21. Candide - Sep 10, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Faraz Shaikh said…Anyways, Candide where did you buy the jerseys from? amazon or some other site? thank you.Here's their Nats page.Regarding sizing: I got a size M (48). I'm 5' 8", about 165 pounds, and it fits me very nicely. They don't have any women's red jerseys, so Cunegonde, who's 5'2" and I would guess somewhere around 115 (I have never asked her and she has never volunteered – I don't care because whatever she weighs, she's hot enough to give you second-degree burns from just looking at her) ordered a youth size L; she hasn't gotten home yet to try it on, but comparing it to her old-style "NATIONALS" white jersey, which fits her very nicely, it looks about the same size.

22. Candide - Sep 10, 2012 at 9:28 PM

peric said…I've got MASN back now.…and the crowd goes wild…

23. Candide - Sep 10, 2012 at 9:32 PM

peric said…Well, John Lannan, you wanted it, you got it, Toyota.I think the jingle went "You asked for it, you got it, Toyota. I'll be generous and assume that you don't remember it quite right because you were just a wee child at the time, rather than just getting old and senile…If you crumble you aren't going to be worth a fiddler's damnIs that different from a tinker's dam?

24. Theophilus T. S. - Sep 10, 2012 at 9:32 PM

If the Chinese are buying U.S. junk bonds, maybe they'll buy Jackson's contract, too, re-sell him to some team in Taiwan.

25. peric - Sep 10, 2012 at 9:34 PM

26. peric - Sep 10, 2012 at 9:35 PM

And I should have said dwarves not dwarfs.

27. Candide - Sep 10, 2012 at 9:38 PM

peric said…Thanks for the corrections Candide. You are right my memory is not serving me well today … ~smiles~I may not be up on all the details of Rule 5 and all that, but when it comes to having a brain full of useless trivia and minutiae, well my mother-in-law keeps telling me I should go on Jeopardy.

28. Candide - Sep 10, 2012 at 9:42 PM

peric said… And I should have said dwarves not dwarfs. Actually, the PC term is "little people…"But no, you were right the first time. You weren't saying the plural of the noun "dwarf," which is, indeed, "dwarves." You were saying the third person singular of the verb "to dwarf", which is "dwarfs."Did I ever tell you I have a brain full of useless trivia and minutiae…?

29. Section 222 - Sep 10, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Ignoring the temptation to pick up on the political commentary that has infiltrated this blog, what numbers are on the back of your jerseys Candide?

30. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 10, 2012 at 9:46 PM

peric,I think you were right the first time on 'dwarfs' as a third-person singular verb.As a noun, Tolkien used 'dwarves' instead of 'dwarfs' for linguistic reasons that he explains somewhere in the appendices to LOTR. Disney used 'dwarfs' (as in Snow White and her buddies), but 'dwarves' is better IMHO.

31. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 10, 2012 at 9:46 PM

baseball.we want baseball.

32. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 10, 2012 at 9:48 PM

33. Candide - Sep 10, 2012 at 9:51 PM

My Zimmerman jersey has 11 on the back, and the front as well. Cunegonde's Stras jersey is 37/37. Of course, the names are spelled 齐默尔曼 and 斯特拉斯堡. Hey what did you expect for $16.40 plus shipping…?(Just kidding – names are in English, and spelled correctly…)

34. Candide - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Eugene in Oregon said…Candide: I apparently owe you a beer (from the Prancing Pony, perhaps? Or maybe the Green Dragon?).I prefer The Leaping Peacock – they have Maalox Margarita night, with extra salty rims!

35. NatsFanJim - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:09 PM

I can't shake the feeling that tonight is a "Must Win' game. Why am I getting the feeling we're headed for a skid? Hopefully, I'll proved wrong and just paranoid.

36. NatsFanJim - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM

MASNSports.com comes in just fine for me.

37. MicheleS - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I second Section 3:Baseballwe want baseball.

38. Secret wasian man - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Nats fan Jim. I'm ascared as well. Need a W and a braves loss

39. Gonat - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:17 PM

peric said… Pete Kerzel of MASN Sports:Now, every time John Lannan takes the mound and the Nationals don't win, the debate will be rekindled. And Strasburg is put in the uncomfortable position of spectator in his own dugout, knowing that he can do nothing at all to help his team, outside of cheering them on. And for an ultra-competitive guy like Strasburg, who wants nothing more that to help his team win, that must feel like baseball purgatory.Well, John Lannan, you wanted it, you got it, Toyota. You are now the pitcher at the red hot center of the StraNoMas crucible. If you crumble you aren't going to be worth a fiddler's damn on the free agent market. If you continue to thrive proving your critics wrong yet again you too will have the Brinks truck pulling up to your door. September 10, 2012 5:21 PM _____________________________________Yah, Pete Kerzel, another Angelos kiss-a$$. Who cares what he thinks.It is what it is, turn the page. If you hate Lannan, which you do, keep it to yourself. Lannan isn't Strasburg, clearly so for those that want to throw gas on the fire, do it on Kerzel's blog.

40. NatsFanJim - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:20 PM

41. NatsFanJim - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:22 PM

42. Section 222 - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:22 PM

SFJ, you're just paranoid. So I'm obsessed with our rotation and how Davey is going to arrange things for the playoffs. Here's how I think it shakes out from here to the end of the season, with Lannan simply taking Stras's spot. It looks like we get two lefties facing the Braves, Lannan avoiding the Phils, but Gio and Znn scheduled for the last two games of the season. I guess for now we just hope we have clinched before then so Wang and Maya can throw batting and fielding practice to the Phils on those days, in order for Gio and JZnn to be rested for the playoffs.NYM — Gio, JZnn, LannanOff DayATL — Det, E-Jax, GioOff DayLAD — JZnn, Lannan, DetMIL — E-Jax, Gio, JZnn, LannanPHI — Det, E-Jax, GioSTL — JZnn, Lannan, DetPHI — E-Jax, Gio, JZnnThoughts?

43. NatsFanJim - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Yeah, Secret: I can't shake the paranoid feeling. A win would do my mood some good

44. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:24 PM

GYFNGOne my students brought an Isharo baseball card in today from when he played in Japan, and the kid wanted me to read the stats. Since Neither he nor I read Japanese, I made up numbers and the kid now thinks Isharo was a life time .400 hitter in Japan.

45. NatsFanJim - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Hey Manassas – Kore wa omoshiroidesu!!! (this is funny!!!)

46. Dave - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:28 PM

MASNSports.com coming in just fine for me. On a school network computer, which probably does not have that domain cached.(It's back-to-school night. I am meeting 9th-grade parents instead of watching the Nats.)I wasn't aware of the Tolkienian distinction between "dwarfs" and "dwarves" as plural substantives, but I'm willing to accept it. FWIW, I endorse the point of view of "dwarfs-as-verb-dwarves-as-noun," but I've been wrong before.Blathering to shake my own very tiny paranoid feeling as our boys take the field in Flushing. A lead of 5.5 games doesn't seem like a lot. But in Davey I trust.

47. MicheleS - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Forget who the author is, just read the quotes from the players.Nationals I am sure there are some on this sight that will be gagging on this. I am not one of them ;-)

48. NatsFanJim - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Nippon de ichirō no daritsu 344(ichiro batted .344 in Japan.)

49. slidell2 - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:38 PM

The Cubs spoiled us, then the Marlins (Nolasco) brought us back to earth. Though I am a paranoid type, I'm not worried YET.

50. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Eugene: Actually 'dwarfs' is the standard plural for the noun 'dwarf.' Dwarfs is the standard that is most commonly used, but Dwarves is an alternate choice. Tolkien popularized the alternate dwarves. It seems now acceptable in the spirt of Tolkien to use 'dwarves' when referring to fantasy characters and 'dwarfs' when referring to real people. The reasoning is two-old: using dwarves in the spirt of Tolken, and not using dwarves when referring to people as it relates to closely to the fantasy, freakish, characters of Tolkien.According to whom?

51. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Now, every time John Lannan takes the mound and the Nationals don't win, the debate will be rekindled. FWIW, I thought that was a fair point.

52. MicheleS - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:50 PM

And everyone just remember, patience 1st time through the order. It may not be pretty but let's not crown this rookie pitcher the next Cy Young until our batters take at least 2 times throught the order.

53. NatsFanJim - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Sofa: Uh .. common knowledge among the educated, perhaps?

54. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Jay Bruce over ALR. Boooooo

55. NatsFanJim - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Here comes the pressure of a pennant race. I hope the young Nats are up to it. Time for Werth and DeRosa do be doing a lot of modeling.Looking at the rest of the Nats schedule, it looks like this series with the Mets is a weak as any series gets: Dodgers, Braves, Phillies,Brewers — and I believe we play the Phillies and the Braves 6 X each. a tough finish.

56. Grandstander - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Thanks for the shot of Desmond picking his nose MASN!

57. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Lets start fast

58. Dave - Sep 10, 2012 at 7:14 PM

@NatsFanJim: "Sofa: Uh .. common knowledge among the educated, perhaps?"Uh…nope. PhD in a modern language here, 30-year career teacher, graduate minor in linguistics.I never heard that stuff before tonight.

59. Candide - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Why do so many pitchers wear some sort of cloth necklace?

60. Dave - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Well, that was an unpleasantly quick at-bat.

61. MicheleS - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:22 PM

it looks like there about 500 people there tonight. lots of Nats fans.

62. Joe Seamhead - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:30 PM

MicheleS, thanks for the link.In spite of who the author is, he sums up exactly on what, and why, many of us appreciate what Jayson Werth brings to this team, much of which is not measured by stats.

63. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:31 PM

David Wright trying to tick me off. Last night either of his last at bats he gets a hit Mets win. Thus he is on my mad list.

64. Dave - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:32 PM

ALR double. I'm happy now. If parents start to come into my classroom and I have to silence Charlie and Dave on the interactive whiteboard, I can believe that the Nats are starting something.

65. MicheleS - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:34 PM

JoeS.. agree, which is why Werth's jersey was the first one I bought of the Nats last spring training.

66. Dave - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Just got a Werth shirt last week. I was sitting in my seats in 220, in front of an unsold box. Our usher told us that Werth family members sometimes sit there, and some folks were there sporting Werth garb. So I ran to a team store and bought me a #28 T-shirt.Long overdue. I'm glad the guy's on our team.

67. Section 222 - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I never heard that stuff before tonight.That could be said about a lot of the statements made here with great authority.

68. djinFl. - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Mets tv announcers figured the Mets had to bring the infield as poorly as they are hitting.Hoping for the 10 shut out.

69. djinFl. - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:38 PM

that is a 1-0 shut out

70. MicheleS - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Looks like the Cards are starting to slide Steve Berthiaume‏@SBerthiaumeESPN#StlCards Mike Matheny says Lance Berkman having knee surgery tomorrow. Jake Westbrook missing at least 1 start. Lance Lynn goes Thursday.

71. SCNatsFan - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Someone please tell Espinosa to stop approaching at bats like Pedro Cerrano

72. Candide - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Okay, that's the creepiest W.B. Mason commercial yet.

73. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Why does espi swing at so many pitched out of the zone. For 2 years he has had this bad habit.what a wasted opportunity.

74. Candide - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:43 PM

I don't lip-read at all well; what was Davis yelling at the ump after he struck out?

75. MicheleS - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Candide.. all the WB Mason commercials are creepy. That guy looks like you want to hide your children from him

76. MicheleS - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Candide.. just reviewed on the DVR.. he was asking if it was a strike..

77. MicheleS - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Kelly Shopach.. OOPSY Daisy! Wait and people wanted him over Kurt?

78. Gonat - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Suzuki gets his second chance. Nice!

79. MicheleS - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Yup.. KEEP KURT!!!! That HR was really smashed.Also, someone else post or I am going to go for the most posts in a row.

80. djinFl. - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:49 PM

So much for the Mets game plan.Way to hit Kurt!

81. MicheleS - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Thanks Gonat.. was getting lonely.

82. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Did I tell you I like this guy Suzuki?

83. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I didn't think anyone but Morse could hit one out tonight.

84. hiramhover - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Kurt!!

85. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Now follow up Suzuki's homer guyd

86. MicheleS - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Hey DJinFL..I think the Mets Broadcasters were pophetic on the score.. ;-)

87. MicheleS - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:57 PM

DANG! What a Bomb by Ryan!!!

88. Gonat - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… I didn't think anyone but Morse could hit one out tonight. September 10, 2012 7:51 PM __________________________________And Zim!Bryce Harper the run scoring machine scores too!

89. djinFl. - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:59 PM

I think they were a wish'n and a hope'n MicheleS.I trust our worried posters have started to breathe easier.

90. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Good follow up Harp and Zim

91. NatsFanJim - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Yes, they are. Long way to go.

92. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Great….walk 2 guys to get to Wright. Friggin brilliant.

93. Gonat - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Walk 2 light hitters with Wright lurking.

94. MicheleS - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I hate David wright.

95. MicheleS - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I want a wire on McCatty for those mound visits.

96. NatsFanJim - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:10 AM

You're never too old to learn,Dave. Perhaps a Google check would serve you better? It's always fun to learn new things.

97. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:10 AM

What the point of walking people Greig Wright. He cannot hit the Braves but can hit the Natswhy McCarty so slow to visit. 2 balls into second batter they know what was wrong

98. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:10 AM

at least the walk to Cedeno was efficient. 4 straight balls.

99. NatsFanJim - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:11 AM

How did Wright even touch that curve?

100. NatsFanJim - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Got him!!

101. MicheleS - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:12 AM

That Curve is just fun to watch.

102. NatsFanJim - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Three consecutive poor outings by our starters, we really need a gem by Gio — stay away from those walks, Gio, and we'll get one.

103. Gonat - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:12 AM

David Wright was seeing ball outside for his 3-2 walk. Instead. Frozen. Strikeout.Whoa. Heart pounding.

104. Joe Seamhead - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:12 AM

What a pitch from Gio to give Wright a SEAT!!!GYFNG!

105. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Adding to pitch count second reason to not walk people. Free runners obviously first problem. I guessI Will break out Maloox early tonight.

106. NatsFanJim - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Dave: I got a website for your viewing pleasure. Online Etymology Dictionary. Link Below. It doesn't speak as much detail as I did, but does reference Tolkien promulgator of Dwarves.http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=dwarf

107. NatsFanJim - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:17 AM

See ya later, Desi is a monster.

108. MicheleS - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Ian.. Yes.. lots of taters tonight

109. NatsFanJim - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:18 AM

What a catch!!

110. Joe Seamhead - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Yowsa! Way to go Desi! Can we get a few more, Nats? ( great catch by Torres to rip Danny off).

111. NatsFanJim - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Very quiet stadium.

112. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Danny would have had a double.I put Maloox on the shelf for now.

113. Candide - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Gio knew that was gone the instant he hit it.

114. MicheleS - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM

I hate Hairston's.. I want Valdespin to stay on the bench the entire series.

115. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Hairston. kills lefties.Maloox on the counter now.

116. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:30 AM

5 Walks what is the deal.

117. MicheleS - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Manassas.. Bob/FP were commenting that GIO maybe having a hard time with gripping the ball with it being cold in NY.

118. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Quit throwing balls

119. ehay2k - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:37 AM

OK, the undesired outcome of the Fish series has clearly got people nervous. There is a slightly negative vibe on NI tonight.But Gio has decent, if not perfect, control tonight. And he has a four run lead to work with. And he struck out Wright. And we are hitting again. And the rookies dressed up like the USA women's gymnastics team (do NOT look at those pictures while any drink is in your mouth!). So, if the Nats aren't pressing, neither should we. The Barves, on the other hand, were greeted to a 3-0 Nats lead when they walked onto the field tonight. Their fans must be in a full lather.

120. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Thank you JaysonGio quit walking people.

121. Gonat - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:39 AM

1 HR, a double and 5 walks and only 1 run in 4 innings. Seems improbable.Gio better screw on his head as he has been super lucky. Let's go!

122. ehay2k - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Must be first day of school tomorrow in NYC. Only way to explain the fact that there appear to be fewer fans in the stands now than after a 153 minute rain delay in DC in the NINTH inning. I can actually hear the beer guy calling out in the stands on my TV. He should just sit down next to a row of fans and save his voice.

123. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:41 AM

It is usually cold in October so if cold is a problem we have a big problem.

124. MicheleS - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Ehay2k.. This is what happens after the fish leave town…Thank god no more Giancarlo this season

125. Dave - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:42 AM

@NatsFanJim, I know Doug Harper's etymonline.com very well. Not even saying you're wrong about the dwarfs/dwarves thing. Just taking issue with that "common knowledge among the educated" business. That's not true at all.Incidentally, Doug Harper does not make anywhere near the categorical claim that you do about this particular instance. Just that Tolkien popularized "dwarves" as a plural. But whatever. I'm going to watch the ballgame now.

126. MicheleS - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:44 AM

METS BULLPEN! I like that for dinner.

127. Dave - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:45 AM

The presence of the Mets bullpen in this game is good news indeed.So I guess our fear that this new kid might have been another, shall we say, Ricky Nolasco proved unfounded.

128. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:46 AM

129. Candide - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Why are the Ford commercials always about 20 dB louder than the game and the rest of the commercials?

130. ehay2k - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:53 AM

It is also common knowledge amongst the completely uneducated that Tolkien kept a family of dwarves in his basement, and he enjoyed the fact that he, even though he was of small stature, dwarfed them. He also enjoyed motorizing his prized bonsai trees and engaging them in mock battle.

131. Gonat - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:56 AM

No bullpen up? Seems you want to play for the team win but you know Davey wants Gio in-line for the 19th win.

132. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:58 AM

thanks for the link Candide. I am def gonna use at some point.

133. Gonat - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Gio saves himself on that Wright dribbler. A RH pitcher won't make that play.

134. Candide - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Faraz, if you want it before the playoffs, I suggest you order quickly. Took almost three weeks to get to me.

135. ehay2k - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Well played Candide, well played!

136. Dave - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:04 AM

137. ehay2k - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:08 AM

FWIW, there is no known photo of Veeck and Tolkien together.

138. Candide - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:10 AM

139. Candide - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Dave said…Thanks for that link, Candide. I don't know whether Bill Veeck intended to, but I'm pretty sure he never fielded a whole team of dwarfs. Dwarves. Whichever it was.Little people (pl. little peoples).Hmmm. Imagine if Veeck coulda signed nine dwarfs/dwarves/little persons from the cast of The Wizard of Oz for an out-of-town game. Browns lead off top of the first inning, and draw walk after walk after walk, batting around over and over again…

140. Chels - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Hey folks… Coming over from the Nats blog in WaPo… Looking to join you all for the rest of the season seeing as if (like my screen name) WaPo gets on my nerves!Let's Goooooooo Nats!

141. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Welcome Chels

142. ehay2k - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Welcome Chels! Good group here. Although losses seem to bring out a little bile in the posts sometimes. ;-)

143. Soon to be Mrs. Roger Bernadina - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Do you have to F5 to see new post?

144. ehay2k - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Candide, in your scenario, what happens after the first fatally hit batter?

145. Candide - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Chels – welcome from another WaPo expat (I understand the troll who must not be named is still there…).We don't say, "Let's Gooooooo Nats!" We say, "GYFNG!!!" (= Go, You (bad word) Nats, Go!)And when they win, it's "Woo-HOOOOOOOOOO!" but you must credit MicheleS copyright 2012.

146. Candide - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Soon-to-be-Mrs. Shark -Yes.

147. Gonat - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Good end to Gio's evening. I wish Gio approached every hitter tonight like he has with Kelly Shoppach. He went right after him and Shoppach weakly put balls in play.

148. ehay2k - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Hello future Mrs. Shark! Yes, you need to refresh (F5) to see new posts. Check before you post. If you post the same thing as someone else already has, you may owe them a beverage at the next group outing. ;-)

149. Candide - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:20 AM

ehay2k said…Candide, in your scenario, what happens after the first fatally hit batter?The surviving Browns starting lineup charges onto the field in a frenzied rage of ankle-biting.

150. Soon to be Mrs. Roger Bernadina - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Sorry… Soon to be mrs. R b is Chels…. Sorry I didn't change my screen name…Thanks for the welcome…Yes that stupid dog is there so I had to roll… Hopefully he doesn't come over here…GYFNG – I like, matter of fact I F-n like it a lot!

151. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:22 AM

152. Gonat - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Oh my, the Pirates just lost their 3-0 lead to the Reds. Tied at 3 a piece now.

153. Soon to be Mrs. Roger Bernadina - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:23 AM

How are the mods over here? Do they understand that most (if not alll) of us are grown ups? Or do they like to erase posts?

154. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Let's get some add-on runs.

155. Candide - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:24 AM

ehay2k said…If you post the same thing as someone else already has, you may owe them a beverage at the next group outing. ;-)Someone needs to put together a list of the unwritten rules of NI and, for the newbies, post it occasionally, like every off day or every time Espinosa doesn't swing at a low inside fastball.

156. Soon to be Mrs. Roger Bernadina - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:25 AM

157. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Geez, a new woman in the room and all the guys rush her at once. That's embarrassing. And it's TRADEMARK Michele.

158. ehay2k - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Hmm.. Child was easier. May end up calling you StbMRB. :-)

159. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:26 AM

MODS?? bwaaahaahaa.

160. Soon to be Mrs. Roger Bernadina - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Ohhhhhhh my man is at the plate…. I'm soooooo in love!!!!

161. Candide - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Soon to be Mrs. Roger Bernadina said…Yes that stupid dog is there so I had to roll… Hopefully he doesn't come over here…Mark occasionally posts in the comments section here, so it's clear he looks at the comments, and it's my understanding that he has banned some truly obnoxious people.

162. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Srsly, Mark very seldom 86's anything. He's a journalist, dammit, not a censor.

163. Grandstander - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Ghost Of Steve M. said…Davey called Desi the best shortstop in the NL both offensively.and defensively.Impressive hearing Davey say that.He does lead all NL SS's with 4.5, nearly a full game better than 2nd place JRo at 3.7. And that's with missing a month as well. So I'd go as far as saying he is far and away the best SS in the league and he's also best in the majors as a whole.

164. Soon to be Mrs. Roger Bernadina - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Sorry…. In ATL for the next 3 days and it seems the TV is behind y'all….

165. Grandstander - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Forgot to mention I was talking about WAR.

166. MicheleS - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Mrs Shark..Mods only intervene if it gets ugly or vulgar. happened a couple days ago, never saw what was posted, but if Mark had to delete, it had to be bad.

167. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:28 AM

The Mets bullpen is terrible. Why we not hitting them?

168. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Mark hasn't banned anyone. He's said he doesn't know how, and indeed couldn't if he wanted to, on Blogger. He has dumped some posts, recently when some folks were threatening to throw hands.

169. Gonat - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Soon to be Mrs. Roger Bernadina said… Soooo love the combination of Gio ans Suzuki!It's gonna be real interesting if we carry 3 catchers on the roster… September 10, 2012 9:25 PM __________________________________Doubtful. With the contract the Nats inherited with Suzuki, Jesus Flores will almost certainly be traded if Ramos is healthy.Ramos can start back slowly behind Suzuki too.

170. Candide - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Soon to be Mrs. Roger Bernadina said…Ohhhhhhh my man is at the plate…. I'm soooooo in love!!!!You know, he has a 20-year-old brother, Roderick, who's in the Oriole's low minors.

171. ehay2k - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:32 AM

172. Soon to be Mrs. Roger Bernadina - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Wow… Internet thugs are here??? Geeshh…Goats – that's what I know. Flo seems to be better with the rest. Suzuki is beginning to come into his own… What's the status on Ramos and his rehab?Jump on me if you want to but I did like Leon…

173. ehay2k - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Grr.. auto spell check on overdrive tonight. Sorry – "Chels" not Child as I posted before, is easier than the full Soon to be… There is a mod, but he only comes out when needed. Non-vulgar Criticism of Nats players, coaches, owners, and especially agents, is allowed. But be ready to back up your claims against challengers. :-)

174. Soon to be Mrs. Roger Bernadina - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Candide- I will stick with the Shark… 20 is too young. I'm not interested in being anyone's sugar momma… Shark is the one..Plus I hate everything associated with the O's… Even when DC didn't have a team, I still didn't root for them. Before DC, I was in luv with Ken Griffey Jr.

175. Candide - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa said…Mark hasn't banned anyone. He's said he doesn't know how, and indeed couldn't if he wanted to, on Blogger.I think that was back when he was allowing anons – he said he couldn't ban someone whose user name he didn't know.In any case, I've found this site to be remarkably civil, especially considering the heated passions that baseball brings out in people. Good group.

176. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:36 AM

"Goats"? I like her!Leon was well received here, Soon2B,.

177. Soon to be Mrs. Roger Bernadina - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:37 AM

ehay – I always look for good discussion/debate… However, I recognize that me et al are watching instead of managing… *smile*

178. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Indeed, Candide, it's the best of the lot, but he can't ban nobody, nohow. Not on blogger. If it were WordPress he might have a small chance.

179. Soon to be Mrs. Roger Bernadina - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Goats – Gonat…. Sorry damn iPad and it's autocorrect…

180. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Awww, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan. Have we been had?

181. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:40 AM

If I'm wrong, disregard. If not, a grudging "well played."

182. MicheleS - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Who are these Mets relievers? I mean Familia? really?And crud.. Barves up 1-0

183. Soon to be Mrs. Roger Bernadina - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Ohhh what do you all think of LaRoche and his status with us next year?

184. Soon to be Mrs. Roger Bernadina - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I think DJ needs to sit the Beast for a couple games. It's seeming as if these last couple of games the wrist isn't all the way there and needs some more rest…

185. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:44 AM

186. Candide - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:45 AM

I have a blogspot blog, never had to try to ban anyone. So I don't know if this might be a way to ban someone, or at least make sure none of his posts show up.

187. ehay2k - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Mixed feelings here about extending ALR, despite fairly unanimous agreement about his excellent 2012 season here. Plus if he wants a multi-year deal he may have to go elsewhere.Others chime in if I'm off base here.

188. ehay2k - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Drew's pitch was diving, that was a professional hit.

189. Soon to be Mrs. Roger Bernadina - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Definitly want Adam to stay. His experience and unfrigginbelievable 1st bae defense warrants it…Zimm's throws are pretty yet scare the holy hell out of me and Adam is like a vacuum – he just sucks them all up.I think about when Chad Tracy was over on 1st there were way more errors/not great plays…

190. Candide - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Manassas Nats' Fan said…Including tonight 3 relievers for Mets have batting against of .288. .250, and ,455. We have 0 hits in 4 innings. So much for add on runs.Well, if you're not going to make a tenderfoot rookie look like Lefty Grove, you have to make amends by making a substandard BP look like Dennis Eckersley, Sparky Lyle, and Mariano Rivera.

191. Soon to be Mrs. Roger Bernadina - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Come on Storen… We gotta leave them stranded… Or give me a 6-4-3… Something.Let's bury the Mutts!

192. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Just teaspoon of Maloox. Speeds up Murphy's bat. Then screws around with Wright.Walk Wright if he had a hit last night they would have beat the Braves.Scores quit screwing around.

193. Gonat - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Mrs. B, I answer to Goats if you are buying me beers.

194. Soon to be Mrs. Roger Bernadina - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:54 AM

He swung the damn bat..

195. MicheleS - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Phew.. got that Hairston out.

196. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Got lucky. why Hairston swing. thanks scott

197. Candide - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Beautiful 4-6-3!!!

198. ehay2k - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Ahh, Nats baseball at its best!

199. Gonat - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Storen was smart. Pulled back his glove knowing Espi was there.That Stanford education pays off again.