Game 142: Nats at Mets

Sep 11, 2012, 7:43 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Washington plays at New York tonight on the anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

NEW YORK — I don't know if it was scheduled by design, but something about the fact Washington and New York are playing each other on Sept. 11 feels right. The two most significant cities in the United States have always been joined at the hip, never more so than on that awful day 11 years ago.

There will be various remembrances before and during tonight's game. The Mets will wear NYPD and FDNY caps during batting practice. The Nationals will wear their blue stars and stripes jerseys (the first time they've ever worn those on the road). And then they'll play a ballgame, celebrating once again baseball's ability to bring everyone together.

This particular game features a great pitching matchup, with Jordan Zimmermann starting for the Nationals against knuckleballer R.A. Dickey, who seeks to join Gio Gonzalez as the only 19-game winners in the majors.

Updates to come, so please check back…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at NEW YORK METS
Where: Citi Field
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 185
Weather: Clear, 74 degrees, Wind 3 mph out to LF

RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

1. natsfan1a - Sep 11, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Go, Z'nn! Go, NATS!!

2. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 11, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Ok, Nats, keep it nice and simple against Mr. Dickey's knuckleball (which — one dares to hope — might be affected by the cool weather?). But if you have the chance, put some pressure on early (and keep it on), before he gets a good feel for it. And keep up the strong pitching and solid defense. And don't worry about the Braves, just play your game. GYFNG!

3. Donald - Sep 11, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I thought Bryce Harper said he wasn't going to start based on how poorly he's done against R.A. Dickey in the past. Maybe that was just wishful thinking on his part.

4. CN - Sep 11, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Last game against Dickey, Espy batted from the right side of the plate to get a different vantage point, which ultimately helped him be successful against Dickey. Now, he's in a good groove, so I wonder what will give…

5. MicheleS - Sep 11, 2012 at 8:03 PM

GO Jordan!!! I hope Espi bats righty against R.A. and nails a pitch into the deepest part of the park.

6. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 11, 2012 at 8:11 PM

When did Harper say that? Can't imagine him backing down from a challenge.

7. Doc - Sep 11, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Lighter bats, move up in the batter's box, short swing before the goofy pitch does its' first break—Nats can do it. It's only a wiffle ball, guys, not a Strasburgh rocket!I'm hoping that Danny becomes our late season/playoffs' hero!!!!!GooooooooooooooooooooooooNats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. alm - Sep 11, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Reposting from last thread: alm said… Its not only wins and never has been – see King Felix who got it recently by being the best pitcher in most of the stats but had only 12 wins, I think.If you look at wins, ERA, K/9, whip and batting ave. against (BAA) – the most often discussed stats – Cueto falls behind with >20th BAA and K/9.Dickey and Gio are top 5 in 4 of 5 of the stats.I don't buy the 'Dickey gets it because he was on a crappy team' argument. If they stay close to the end, I think Gio gets it by being on the BEST TEAM IN BASEBALL – – I love saying those words!Go Nats

9. Steady Eddie - Sep 11, 2012 at 8:28 PM

FS — It was in WaPo this morning. Maybe he should try to bat from the right side too.Eugene — when the Nats did beat Dickey in July, other than a couple of doubles from Zim and Danny to score once in the 4th, it took until the 6th for them to really bust out with four singles and an ALR dinger. Even that came with two outs.

10. alm - Sep 11, 2012 at 8:31 PM

In 2001 I was a Mets fan. The Mets played the first game after 9/11 – not sure of the date – some help here.It was very emotional. The Mets were losing and then Piazza hit a homer late in the game and Benitez closed it out. One of my favorite games.later that year I was the winning bid on a ball on the MLB auction site that was used in the final inning and signed and dated by Benitez (2 were auctioned on the mets MLB auction site). I have a VCR tape of the game and have watched it several times since.Go Nats!

11. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 11, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Steady Eddie: You're right, of course. But my point above was more that knuckleballers often have some difficulty 'finding' their pitch early (although they may also lose it late), plus — recalling Gio Gonzalez's behavior last night — the cooler weather may affect Mr. Dickey's grip on the ball. That's mainly a hope, though, and not a prediction.And speaking of predictions, for those who might be interested, Nate Silver has a new book coming out entitled “The Signal and the Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail — but Some Don’t." An excerpt appeared in this past Sunday's NYTimes Magazine:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/09/magazine/the-weatherman-is-not-a-moron.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&pagewanted=all&adxnnlx=1347395379-UEhe+uHZ7uec2EMIKa3itwMr. Silver, who made big bucks on Wall Street before moving to Baseball Prospectus, then from there to 538.com fame, explains statistics as well as anyone I've ever read. I obviously haven't read the book yet — although I will — but I note that it will include at least one chapter on baseball, about which Mr. Silver still sometimes writes in his NYTimes political/statistics column.

12. Section 222 - Sep 11, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Its not only wins and never has been – see King Felix who got it recently by being the best pitcher in most of the stats but had only 12 wins, I think.Actually King Felix was 13-12, but IIRC he was the first to break the unwritten rule that Cy Young winners had to have close to 20 wins (except for the handful of closers who won it before the voters realized that was really stupid). ERA and WHIP have moved up the totem pole of factors, but wins still is very significant for this award. And whether you play on a good team seems less significant for the Cy Young than for MVP for example. I don't think the argument is that Dickey should win it because he was on a crappy team. Rather, it's that his accomplishments seem more, not less, impressive because he was on a crappy team.The Nats can give Gio a boost in the Cy Young race by beating up on Dickey tonight.Nice story about your 9/11 memories alm.

13. natsfan1a - Sep 11, 2012 at 8:43 PM

14. natsfan1a - Sep 11, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Great story, alm. I think that Mets game was on September 21. On a related baseball note, I liked the MLB film about September 11, "Nine Innings from Ground Zero." Should have posted this earlier, but it aired on MLB Network earlier today. Didn't watch it today but have watched it before. Not sure whether it's scheduled to air again. (As you may know, the film does touch on, uh, that other New York team.)

15. JD - Sep 11, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I think what makes Dickey more successful than your average knuckle ball pitcher is: 1) his ability to throw it for strikes consistently. 2) he has a couple of different looks on his knuckler (softer, harder). 3) he can throw a fastball harder than Levon Hernandez.

16. baseballswami - Sep 11, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I do remember that the Nats had found some strategies for facing Dickey. By now, I hope so. I just hope it doesn't mess up their swings as we go to Atlanta next. At least they have another pitcher to get their groove back with before we leave ny. Things are getting interesting. As if they weren't before.

17. natsfan1a - Sep 11, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Happened to turn up a story about that game just now, alm.

18. natsfan1a - Sep 11, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Dang, my monitor just went all blurry.

19. Section 222 - Sep 11, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Thanks for that link 1a. I'm sniffling now.

20. Doc - Sep 11, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I heartily agree with EugeneOr. Anything that Nate Silver writes is worth reading. I'm checking out Amazon as we speak.He's not too shabby on predicting elections either.Nate Silver for President!

21. Soon to be Mrs. Roger Bernadina - Sep 11, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Hey folks… Looking forward to a great game and another win… I was surprised this year that the NFl didn't make the Skins,at the Giants (like every other 9/11. – almost). ,but then I saw the Nats…I was thinking today where I was when the catastrophe happened. I was in HS in my first period class when the plane hit the 1st tower and then I was in 2nd period when the plane hit the 2nd tower. A little after that that's when I felt the ground shake from the Pentagom as my HS was on 23rd and G st I'm DC…To this day, I still get shaken up and pray for all the victims/victims families and every other Americanthat was affected by the tradegy…God bless America! Let's Go Nats!

22. alm - Sep 11, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Just took the plunge and am now a full season ticket holder for 2013 (I had them in 05/06). Also got the presale tickets today for me and my 2 sons!WAHOO!Section 312.Now lets beat Dickey today.Go Nats!!!

23. Steady Eddie - Sep 11, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Eugene — I guess what we can take from all that about Dickey is that the Nats should get to him as early as they can, and when they do, as much as they can.(Sort of like "as honest as the day is long"?)Anyway, GYFNG!(I don't mind if Dickey wins the Cy Young as long as he doesn't include a win against us tonight in his resume. I'd be very happy with another 5-2 win like the last time we faced him, especially if JZimm can get the win.)

24. Unknown - Sep 11, 2012 at 9:20 PM

It is bad news–trying to hit RA Dickey but at least he's not Ricky Norlasco!

25. Section 222 - Sep 11, 2012 at 9:24 PM

LOL Unknown. Or that Cubs pitcher with the unpronounceable name.

26. NatsLady - Sep 11, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Samardzija? (I practiced)

27. Section 222 - Sep 11, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Well done alm, and congrats. 312 is a great section. Lots of Nats Insiders are in the Infield Gallery, including sjm308, me (I'm in 314), pRAA, and someone who's in 313 (apologies for not remembering your moniker). NatsNut is even known to grace us with her presence from time to time. While I'm thinking of it, I want to thank the commenter who explained the Section 313 "N-A-T-S Nats, Nats, Nats!" cheer a week or so ago. Before that, I was kind of annoyed by the cheer because I saw the guy who leads it when he's there wearing a Yankees cap several times. But now that I know what it is and when they do it, I'm joining in with gusto, and so are alot of folks in 314. And during the Cubs series, I sat in 309 for one game and explained it to people there too. Pretty soon the whole Infield Gallery will be joining in.

28. Section 222 - Sep 11, 2012 at 9:32 PM

NL, that's the one. I'm impressed. AKA Cy Young, Jr. when he pitches against us.

29. Laddie Blah Blah - Sep 11, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Looking forward to seeing how Harp handles Dickey this go-around. His approach at the plate is much better than the last time they met.This is a good test for JZ, as well. He likes cooler weather, so that may help tonight.Just saw Eric Bolling describe losing dozens of friends on 9-11, and going to so many memorial services because there were no bodies for funerals. He was crossing over to Manhattan on a ferry when the first plane hit, and saw some of those who leaped, rather than burn.Doesn't make Strasburg's shut-down seem so important. I hope he thinks about how lucky he, and all the rest of us, are. I have someone close who is in a police state right now. That person is learning just how great this country is. We should never forget, and never take what we have for granted.

30. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 11, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I don't buy the 'Dickey gets it because he was on a crappy team' argument. If they stay close to the end, I think Gio gets it by being on the BEST TEAM IN BASEBALLOK. Why?

31. Dave - Sep 11, 2012 at 9:52 PM

@222, I sit in 313, right about the middle (row D, seats 7 and 8, sharing games with some partners). That wasn't me who explained the NATS cheer, and I missed that comment when somebody did, but at the risk of being repetitive, here's the drill:The N-A-T-S cheer has been refined over most of this season. I don't think we did it last year. It happens after the Nats score any runs.Wayne, the aforementioned Yankees guy, generally leads it off, although others of us who know the routine step in and get it going when he's not there. There is a very specific format: after each Nats scoring play, we wait until the next batter's walk-up music has finished, and then Wayne (or whoever) kicks it off. We spell out NATS once for each run scored. At the end of the entire sequence (of one, two, three, or four runs), we do a high-pitched "WOOOO!"The past couple of home stands we have tried hard to get sections 312 and 314 to join in, and as you suggested, folks in those sections have picked up the cue. Our dream is to get the entire Infield Gallery to do it after every score by the playoffs.So wherever you are, when the Nats score a run or runs, wait until the next batter's walkup music is finished, then look over at 313 for the cue.Charlie and Dave have even commented on the cheer on the air recently, so I think it's about to become a Thing.

32. Dave - Sep 11, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Hey, did any season-ticket holders use the code and buy the single-game Division Series tickets today?I got a couple for my son, and I'm wondering (because he's wondering) what happens if the game I bought is not paid. Do they refund the ticket price? The entire charge? Nothing?I also (foolishly perhaps, or cleverly, perhaps) paid an extra $10 and change for some kind of travel insurance policy, which I took to mean I'm covered if the game isn't played. But that may have been stupid, since I'm sure there's no way the Nats or MLB can keep money for tickets sold for games that don't get played.Right?

33. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 11, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Dave I often go with my friend who has season tickets in section 313. Because he shares tickets with others so at times we are in other 300 sections. We cheer the Bats cheer from wherever we are. next game Sept 21 section 317

34. Dave - Sep 11, 2012 at 10:12 PM

@Manassas, I'm the nerdy guy with the horn-rim glasses and the Bob Carpenter scorebook in row D. Almost always there with my wife.Come by and say hi.

35. Section 222 - Sep 11, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Dave, thanks for the comprehensive explanation. I heard C&D comment on the cheer (you can sometimes hear it on the radio I think), so I agree, it's growing. If the game you purchased tickets for isn't played, the Nats will refund the entire charge for that game — the ticket price and $6 per ticket handling charge. I think they will keep the additional one time $4 fee unless none of the games are played.I saw the insurance offer and ignored it so I don't know what it covered. If I got something wrong here, someone here will correct me I'm sure.

36. Dave - Sep 11, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I just looked again at that insurance policy, and it looks like it covers the tickets if I decide not to go (get sick, get in a car crash, have to work late, whatever). So, yeah, $10.60 down the drain. Oh well.

37. rabbit34 - Sep 11, 2012 at 10:52 PM

My prediction….the Nats will lose this game. They can't hack top of the line pitchers. Luckly, most teams only have one or two. Yep, we have a hard hitting lineup. But so far only against 3-4-5 starters.

38. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Dave my buddy has seat J1 and when I come I get J 2 (it the handicap section). We have used all his tickets. The guy who orchestrates the cheer is row G about seat 6 or 7

39. Dave - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Actually Wayne-the-cheerleader is in row F. He bounces around when seats are empty, but that's his regular row. We don't have a row G down in 313. I know because I tried to get row F (the back row, next to the wheelchair pad) about three years ago, but it was all booked. So I'm ensconced in row D from now until forever, I guess. It's where I live.

40. Dave - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Hey, where is everybody? Our boys just got a run off Mr. Knuckleball! Much cheering in the land.

41. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Good job by first three then a terrible at bat ALR

42. MicheleS - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I like Rabbit34's reverse lock.Already a run. Keep the line moving boys.

43. Soon to be Mrs. Roger Bernadina - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Go Bam Bam! For a second there Dcikey owned him… Way to set the Trent for yourself this game…I so love Larry Leadoff in that spot…

44. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:21 PM

OK Jordan. Strike one every time. Pitch from ahead in the count.

45. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:22 PM

That ball didn't dance much in the strike zone. First three batters. drove through the ball. last two played for more knuckle than there was.next inning keep laying back and driving it.

46. djinFl. - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:22 PM

The Met announcers said the first is usually Dickeys best, just 4 runs all year. All take one in that case.Glad to hear section 313 is a favorite. My wife and I were in row E for a couple years before retirement. Great seats and fans there.

47. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Are Daniel Murphy and Justin Turner the same guy?

48. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Don't give it back Zim

49. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:28 PM

And the pitch count stinks already.

50. Dave - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Oh my. I would really have preferred that Jordan got a couple outs, rather than letting a couple guys on base.

51. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:30 PM

No one helping by talking to Zim

52. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Jordan has no sink on his 2 seamer and it's up in the zone.But the slider is working.

53. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Get the double play

54. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Jordan has no idea where his fastball is going.

55. MicheleS - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:37 PM

And Thank You Jason Bay.

56. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Bloop say the fans.This is going to be a 5 spoonful of Maloox night so it appears.

57. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:38 PM

33 pitches. Can't last long throwing like that.

58. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:38 PM

33 pitches.

59. Exposremains - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:39 PM

How can I find JZIm record when pitching to suzuki? It seems the problems started around the same time.

60. MicheleS - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Ian doesn't wait for Kristina to finish her story and goes up hacking. Ooo..Espi is batting righty.

61. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Note to MASN. Don:t talk to Kristina with first pitch Desmond up.

62. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:41 PM

What the hell

63. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Jordans problems have nothing to the catcher no matter who it is. If you throw a sinker and it's always up in the zone and you can't throw it for strikes, that:s on you.

64. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Espi caused the problem by not advancing the runner.ball not dancing

65. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Is too much to ask to not pitch so many pitches to the number 8 batter.The Mets are clueless how to bunt.

66. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Mets bunts saved Jordan about 7 or 8 pitches that inning but I'll take it.

67. ehay2k - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:50 PM

3-6-4 DP on a bunt? Nice infield talent there!

68. Exposremains - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Just wondering if he is uncomfortable with Suzuki which causes him to miss. If not its some kind of injury. How can you be so good and then suddenly not very good?

69. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:58 PM

RISP Nats 0 for 5 Mets 0 for 3ALR hit in third was what he needed in first.

70. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Sizuki has set his target at the knees on every hitter and Joran gets his fastball down about one out every 6 fastballs.

71. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:03 AM

My goal for McCarty in 2013 is teaching pitch efficiency. Why let the guys before Wright on base? We need to pitch to him no one on.

72. de1834c0-8eca-11e1-87ae-000bcdcb8a73 - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Why can't MASN move or turn off that mic that is (apparently) in the lap of that lone, constant clapper? SO annoying.

73. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Too many pitches. please be more comical please

74. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Bull pen may need to get 12 outs tonite.

75. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Economical. damn I thought hit all keys right left off last l and decided I wanted comical.

76. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Nats gone in 6 pitches

77. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:17 AM

NatsJack, let's hope just 12 outs

78. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Braves 3 up 3 down in first.

79. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Jordan has not been getting the ground balls you'd expect from a power sinker guy. Indicates his inability to keep the ball down.

80. Joe Seamhead - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Exposremains, I don't get where you're going with this Suzuki thing. I honestly get the impression that all of pitchers are quite content to have him as their battery mate. He frames, and pulls in the pitches for strikes, seems to call a better and better game every day, and blocks the plate great. And he has been hitting. Granted, I have seen each pitcher shake him off a couple of times, but it doesn't appear to be a big issue.That was a good recovery catch by Harper just now!

81. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:20 AM

The only "ground ball" was Dickey's bunt.

82. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Ricky Weeks homer 1-0

83. Exposremains - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Joe:I think Suzuki has done a great job, I'm just trying to figure out what happen in early August that JZim lost his dominance.

84. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Zim Shoulder felt bad then

85. ehay2k - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Jordan's shoulder was hurting, wasn't it? That's pretty much all it takes.

86. ehay2k - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:28 AM

This Werth kid has potential!And FP finds "the clapper." Hi FP!

87. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I wish the Vets would talk to Werth and Harper what they are doin. On base all 6 at bats

88. djinFl. - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:33 AM

In the words of the Mets announcers "Jordan obviously does not have his best stuff, so he only has a shut out."

89. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:33 AM

No. Jordans shoulder was never "hurting". He said it felt "stiff" when warming up a few weeks ago and Davey used that to shuffle the rotation.

90. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Yep, wish just 12 outs. A shame. BABIP gives and takes.

91. Joe Seamhead - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Expor,I'm thinking JZimm seems tired. Also, he is under a lot of pressure from McCatty to throw more pitches out of the strike zone. Though he has been doing that a lot tonight, the Mets weren't chasing them early, thus that, along with his poor location, explains the high pitch count. Cat wants him disguising his slider more effectively and have batters swinging at pitches out of the zone. The one he just threw to Murphy was a prime example of what McCatty doesn't want him throwing.

92. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Zim not listening at all. Letting guys before Wright hit and now we are behind. Of course McCarty comes out after the damage. Of course leaving an 0-2 pitch in position to hit was the biggest mistake

93. djinFl. - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:41 AM

The Mets had 21 foul balls in 4 1/3 innings.

94. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Could rest of the hitters join Werth and Haelse decide to hit. The ball is not dancing as much as usual.Maloox spoon 2 taken.

95. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Jordan better really develope that change up he tried to work in his arsenal early in the year. His pitch efficiency has really suffered since the All Star break.

96. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:49 AM

ALR 2 real long fouls swing a tad later pleaseNat pitchers take note. you don't need so many pitches.

97. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 12, 2012 at 12:54 AM

another weird throw? my video quality is pretty bad so I can tell the motion exactly but it seems different from his usual.

98. Secret wasian man - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Too bad we couldn't do it for GIO. Looks like no chance of scoring anymore in this one

99. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:02 AM

we want MOORE!!!

100. djinFl. - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Sw Man Give the boys a little creditThey did not get the best record by rolling over.

101. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:07 AM

@ 9:00 p.m. – "Looks like no chance of scoring anymore in this one."@ 9;01 p.m. – Tyler Moore hits a two-run home run.Comment: None necessary.

102. Joe Seamhead - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:09 AM

SWM, are you paying any attention at all? We scored five for Gio last night, though it would have been nice for Jordon if we had scored a little earlier.

103. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Did I tell you I like this guy Garcia?

104. Joe Seamhead - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Hey, NatsJack, is this relief pitcher Garcia any good? LOL!

105. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Take a bow, NatsJack, take a bow.For your original scouting report on Garcia, late in 2011. Nice work.

106. Exposremains - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:14 AM

I hate to say it but I'm starting to think that I would take D.Wright over Zim.

107. djinFl. - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:15 AM

"This kid has serious sinkage" per Mets announcers.

108. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Not bad for a gymnast in drag.

109. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Kudos to those of you who had — early on — identified Christian Garcia as a pitcher to watch. And even bigger kudos, of course, to Mr. Garcia.

110. Drew - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Nice job, Garcia!Speaking of Resident Evil, I'm glad that wasn't Voldemort pitching to Valdespin.

111. ehay2k - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Thanks for the correction Natsjack – I knew there was a shoulder issue, just got the severity wrong. Still, not normal. May be an issue getting the ball down. Garcia? Pretty good so far, and certainly cannot argue about the price we paid!

112. Doc - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Way to go NatsJack!Your scouting pheenom CGar just K'd 3 in the 7th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

113. Joe Seamhead - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:17 AM

NatsJack, Garcia is another example of Davey Johnson's great managing. He has put him in at exactly the right times every since his first batter that he faced. He already looks very, very confident.

114. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:18 AM

R A dickey will not win 19th game tonight. great!!! let's add some more insurance runs.

115. Dave - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:21 AM

What's with Zimmy? That looked like a rather labored run around second, then he's standing on third grabbing those knees and bending over.

116. Secret wasian man - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Afraid to look. Taking a walk what is score.

117. ehay2k - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Still winning SWM. :-)

118. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Rauch was excited.Anyways, does anyone have stats on our hitting with runners in scoring position lately?

119. ehay2k - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Stat note: Valdespin fails to hit a HR pinch hitting. Kudos to Garcia!

120. djinFl. - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Just keep walking SWM, we'll let you know when the season is over.

121. ehay2k - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Djinfl – SWM has been making strides here. He just cares a lot, perhaps too much. SWM – two outs, Druuuuu coming in.

122. ehay2k - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:38 AM

1-2-3 in the eighth, SWM. Come back in and watch the Nats hit. Unlike volleyball, the serving team cannot score. :-)

123. Secret wasian man - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Thanks guys I'm back. Appreciate the patience.

124. ehay2k - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Nice timing – leadoff double for Espi!

125. NatsLady - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Danny shaved? Nice double.

126. NatsLady - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Good, insurance run for Clip!

127. Secret wasian man - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Suzuuuuuuuuuuuuuuki

128. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Somebody wrap Zimm in bubble-wrap for the rest of the stretch run.

129. MicheleS - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Anyone lose Verizon internet?

130. Secret wasian man - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Few more runs we don't need clip.

131. ehay2k - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:49 AM

MicheleS, not if this comment comes through. :-)

132. MicheleS - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Thanks ehay.Are u in loudoun? Could ne just out here. So far liking bats. Give R.A. the heave ho and we get some runs!

133. djinFl. - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Braves have won more games at Citi field since all star break then mets. Colorado same number as Mets. wow

134. JaneB - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:06 AM

This is not a complaint. But does anyone have a guess when we get The Beast back, starring as his former self? It's quite something when the guy on the team who makes me mos nervous is him. How long before he works things out, any guesses?

135. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:08 AM

5th loss for Dickey if we win right now. WOW!

136. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:08 AM

If we win it is a miracle. Batters 3. 4. 5. left 20 guys on base.Last 2 k were on 3-2 counts pitch on EaRache probably a ball. Morse was definitely a ball

137. JaneB - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:10 AM

FP is especially enjoyable tonight, too.Scott Hairston, on the other hand, is much less enjoyable.

138. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:10 AM

I thought I was done with Maloox.Zim Morse and earache that is what we wanted top of 9th

139. SCNatsFan - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Boy it seems when Clip has more then a one run lead he gets lazy

140. peric - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:12 AM

The October roster will be interesting … given that they need Garcia … as I said previously they need to replace him in the AFL. I guess Davey will have 24 men … as 1 slot is probably going to be used on Strasburg. If Rizzo and Davey are smart, and truly are thinking of the future that is what they will do. They've got to see the protocol they selected to its logical conclusion …Boy, Clip looks like he may be burning out as we watch? Its a good thing they do have Garcia plus Storen returning to normal. Plus Gorzelanny. I sure looks like they are going to need those guys for Clip and Burnett.

141. Steady Eddie - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Oy, another Maalox save by Clip. And the Crew scores another run in the 7th to go up 2-0.My comment @5:18: "(I don't mind if Dickey wins the Cy Young as long as he doesn't include a win against us tonight in his resume. I'd be very happy with another 5-2 win like the last time we faced him, especially if JZimm can get the win.)"Close enough, though would have been nice to give JZimm the win after giving up only 2 runs in a tough 5 innings.

142. ehay2k - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:16 AM

I think Clip spent a lot of time warming up because the top of the inning was so long.

143. MicheleS - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:16 AM

WOOOOOO HOOOOOO! Win #88. How great is that! Clipp loves to make it interesting.- i need some Maalox.

144. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Bullpen braided Followed great

145. JaneB - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Trust in Tyler!Go Brewers! GYFNG!

146. Dave - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Magic number = 8. (Or 13, depending on what you're counting on.)Meanwhile Brewers are up 2-0 in the 7th over the Barves.Life is good.

147. Secret wasian man - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Whew. Awesome.. It would be great if we could be up at least 7.5 going into barveville.

148. Jim Webster - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Clippard gonna assume nickname from Cardiac Cordero.

149. SCNatsFan - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Your Washington Nationals sponsored by Maalox.At least its another W and that much closer to the cheese.

150. Dave - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:18 AM

I guess that division magic number is 14. Sorry.

151. Smatt1001 - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Nice series win after that mess with the Fish!

152. Secret wasian man - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Michelle, they sell that by the case in SAMs club

153. Dave - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Can the Braves please lose so that magic number goes to 13? Thanks.

154. peric - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Gorzo gets the win to go 4-2 on the year. Nice.Division elimination number could be 13 by tomorrow. Wonder what the Nat's tragic number is … ~ducking~

155. ehay2k - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Just keep winning series. That is the goal, has been all year.

156. Steady Eddie - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Now 4-0 brew crew and counting, just knocked out Hudson.I smells another -2 night for the magic number.88 wins so 12-8 takes us to 100 wins. Gotta collect these wins while we can because we'll be playing no weak teams the rest of the way.

157. peric - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Tyler is making a solid statement about being a regular in Davey's lineup next season … if only he could play the outfield at least as well as Michael Morse. He does okay at first base but I still think that's Ryan Zimmerman's new home. And Zim is the very best hitter they've got … at least until we see what Bryce does in the future …

158. peric - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Yeah the remaining schedule is about as tough as they've seen all season. Its not going to be easy … but it does make for a pretty darned good warm up for the playoffs.

159. Steady Eddie - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:25 AM

And to top it off, the RedSox just got a walk off win against the Evil Empire in Fenway.

160. zregime - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Y'all, we got this. WE GOT THIS. We are gonna win the NL East and I will make an internet Natties Milkshake for all of of you when we do.Ingredients: One cube of ice. One jigger of doubt. Then, a shake of allspice followed by an ounce of Wild Turkey. Ben Franklin's drink, right?C'mon guys — WE GOT THIS. I don't mean some of it.I mean all of it.We got this.And…why couldn't Rizzo, evil genius as some have him made out to be, just go…OK, I'll play the part. Stras, you're out against Yu tomorrow night. Just after Gio.Uberdomination.We got this.