Sep 11, 2012, 7:43 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Washington plays at New York tonight on the anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.
NEW YORK — I don't know if it was scheduled by design, but something about the fact Washington and New York are playing each other on Sept. 11 feels right. The two most significant cities in the United States have always been joined at the hip, never more so than on that awful day 11 years ago.
There will be various remembrances before and during tonight's game. The Mets will wear NYPD and FDNY caps during batting practice. The Nationals will wear their blue stars and stripes jerseys (the first time they've ever worn those on the road). And then they'll play a ballgame, celebrating once again baseball's ability to bring everyone together.
This particular game features a great pitching matchup, with Jordan Zimmermann starting for the Nationals against knuckleballer R.A. Dickey, who seeks to join Gio Gonzalez as the only 19-game winners in the majors.
Updates to come, so please check back…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at NEW YORK METS
Where: Citi Field
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 185
Weather: Clear, 74 degrees, Wind 3 mph out to LF
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels
- Pujols launches 500th homer at Nationals' expense
- Who is the Nats best 8th inning option?
- Fister pitches 3 innings, on track for May 7 return
- Nats Game Thread: No rest for Desmond
- Nationals recall Barrett, send Cedeno to AAA
- Clippard: "No one is going to feel sorry for me" (VIDEO)
- Desmond, Clippard unravel in eighth inning of Nats' loss
- Williams shows faith in Clippard despite struggles
- Trout talk: How good is he? (VIDEO)