Sep 11, 2012, 10:31 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Kurt Suzuki is hitting .333 with four homers and 10 RBI over his last 12 games.
NEW YORK — Davey Johnson has been a fan of Kurt Suzuki’s offensive prowess since he first managed the catcher during a 2008 Olympic qualifying tournament in Cuba. So the Nationals skipper isn’t surprised at all by what he’s seen from Suzuki over the last two weeks.
“He’s swinging the bat like he did there,” Johnson said. “He’s short to the ball, and he’s got some pop. And everybody knows he’s a great defender. So he just fits right in. Everybody in the lineup is a threat right now.”
Indeed, Suzuki’s recent surge at the plate completes the Nationals’ lineup and gives Johnson a power threat in every starting spot. Collectively, his club has hit 33 homers over its last 13 games (entering tonight’s contest against the Mets) and Suzuki has been a major contributor.
After struggling to find his swing in the immediate aftermath of his Aug. 3 trade from Oakland — he hit .192 with a paltry .476 OPS in his first 14 games with the Nationals — Suzuki has hit .333 with four homers and a 1.089 OPS over his last 12 games.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons
- Nationals putting NLDS tickets on sale Monday
- State of the Nats: Nationals can clinch this week against rivals