Sep 12, 2012, 10:23 PM EDT
NEW YORK — An examination of Michael Morse’s left wrist this morning revealed a torn sheath and bone bruise, injuries that while currently painful don’t require surgery and could possibly allow the Nationals’ left fielder to return to the lineup Friday in Atlanta.
Morse said the diagnosis actually gave him peace of mind, relieving any worries he had a break or more significant tear that would keep him out longer.
“Oh, yeah. For sure,” he said. “Just have to get it better now.”
There’s not a whole lot Morse can do to help speed along the healing process, aside from rest and some anti-inflammatory medication. The plan for now: He’s not playing in tonight’s series finale against the Mets and will be off with the rest of the club Thursday. He’ll then attempt to take batting practice Friday in Atlanta, at which point the Nationals will decide whether he’s ready to play or needs more time to recover.
“We asked for anything we can do,” Morse said. “They pretty much said the best thing is just to let it calm down.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats get big hit for big win
- Nationals grind their way to walk-off victory
- Former Nats catcher Chris Snyder retires from MLB
- Bryce Harper's 'nothing but hustle' Nats magazine (PHOTO)
- Espinosa making most of his playing opportunity
- Strasburg, Nats hope to turn page vs. Cardinals
- Harper, Williams and Werth on benching (VIDEO)
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals
- Nats activate Denard Span from 7-day DL, option Steven Souza, Jr.