Sep 13, 2012, 6:47 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Bo Porter has previously interviewed for jobs with the Marlins and Pirates.
Nationals third base coach Bo Porter has long been considered a potential big-league manager, so it's not surprising that multiple reports out of Houston say he's interviewing today for the Astros' job.
According to MLB.com and the Houston Chronicle, Porter flew to Houston today (an off-day for the Nationals) and is meeting with new Astros owner Jim Crane and general manager Jeff Luhnow.
Porter, 40, lives in Houston in the offseason, though he has no previous connection to the Astros organization. This isn't the first time he's interviewed for a major-league managing position, though: He was a finalist for the Pirates' job in 2010 and the Marlins' job in 2011 before ultimately losing out to Clint Hurdle and Ozzie Guillen, respectively.
Porter also was considered by the Nationals last fall, though DaveyRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash at trade deadline?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle
- Nationals surrender four runs in 9th, fall 7-6 to Marlins
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge
- Zimmermann, Nationals go fishing in Miami
- State of the Nats: Deal or no deal before the MLB trade deadline?
- Consistency propels Nationals to NL's best record
- Nationals hang on to beat Reds 4-2