Sep 13, 2012, 4:51 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
John Lannan tossed 5 2/3 scoreless innings to earn his third win in three starts.
NEW YORK — The storyline, and the comparison, was too obvious to ignore.
Stephen Strasburg was supposed to start Wednesday night’s series finale in New York. John Lannan instead took his spot and now will make four starts down the stretch run of a pennant race in place of baseball’s most-hyped young pitcher.
Those who try to compare Lannan to Strasburg, though, haven’t really been following the Nationals, this year or any previous year. Lannan simply isn’t Strasburg. Nor has he ever tried to be.
Truth be told, Lannan isn’t like any other member of the Nationals’ rotation. He doesn’t have Strasburg’s dominating repertoire or Jordan Zimmermann’s slider or Gio Gonzalez’s curveball or Ross Detwiler’s fastball or Edwin Jackson’s experience. And he knows it.
“This rotation’s different,” Lannan said. “There’s something about it. Every five days when Stephen was in it, it’s just different. Day after day, there’s no giving up. I go out there and I had to just not try to do what they do. I’m not necessarily that type of pitcher, but I do like to compete. And that’s the one thing I did see: them competing. And I can do that.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- State of the Nats: Cardinals coming to town
- The Baseball Show: Things are turning up for the Nats
- Marlins in panic mode after poor start to 2015
- Strasburg's changeup key in Nats' win against Phillies
- Denard Span's return felt 'like old times' for Nats
- Strasburg dazzles in Span’s return
- Taylor sent down to Syracuse, hopes to develop consistency
- Nats activate Span off disabled list for Sunday's game
- Strasburg starts as Nats host Phillies in series finale
- Zimmermann still trying to find groove