Sep 13, 2012, 4:51 AM EST
US Presswire photo
John Lannan tossed 5 2/3 scoreless innings to earn his third win in three starts.
NEW YORK — The storyline, and the comparison, was too obvious to ignore.
Stephen Strasburg was supposed to start Wednesday night’s series finale in New York. John Lannan instead took his spot and now will make four starts down the stretch run of a pennant race in place of baseball’s most-hyped young pitcher.
Those who try to compare Lannan to Strasburg, though, haven’t really been following the Nationals, this year or any previous year. Lannan simply isn’t Strasburg. Nor has he ever tried to be.
Truth be told, Lannan isn’t like any other member of the Nationals’ rotation. He doesn’t have Strasburg’s dominating repertoire or Jordan Zimmermann’s slider or Gio Gonzalez’s curveball or Ross Detwiler’s fastball or Edwin Jackson’s experience. And he knows it.
“This rotation’s different,” Lannan said. “There’s something about it. Every five days when Stephen was in it, it’s just different. Day after day, there’s no giving up. I go out there and I had to just not try to do what they do. I’m not necessarily that type of pitcher, but I do like to compete. And that’s the one thing I did see: them competing. And I can do that.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats