Sep 13, 2012, 4:51 AM EST
US Presswire photo
John Lannan tossed 5 2/3 scoreless innings to earn his third win in three starts.
NEW YORK — The storyline, and the comparison, was too obvious to ignore.
Stephen Strasburg was supposed to start Wednesday night’s series finale in New York. John Lannan instead took his spot and now will make four starts down the stretch run of a pennant race in place of baseball’s most-hyped young pitcher.
Those who try to compare Lannan to Strasburg, though, haven’t really been following the Nationals, this year or any previous year. Lannan simply isn’t Strasburg. Nor has he ever tried to be.
Truth be told, Lannan isn’t like any other member of the Nationals’ rotation. He doesn’t have Strasburg’s dominating repertoire or Jordan Zimmermann’s slider or Gio Gonzalez’s curveball or Ross Detwiler’s fastball or Edwin Jackson’s experience. And he knows it.
“This rotation’s different,” Lannan said. “There’s something about it. Every five days when Stephen was in it, it’s just different. Day after day, there’s no giving up. I go out there and I had to just not try to do what they do. I’m not necessarily that type of pitcher, but I do like to compete. And that’s the one thing I did see: them competing. And I can do that.”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?