Game 144: Nats at Braves

Sep 14, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Turner Field hosts the Nationals for a big weekend series with the Braves.

ATLANTA — Hello from Turner Field, where tonight the home stretch of the regular season begins in earnest for the Nationals, who can wrap up a playoff berth and all but lock up the NL East title by the time this series concludes Sunday night. But first things first, there's the little matter of Kris Medlen starting tonight for Atlanta.

Medlen, you may or may not realize, is 7-0 with an 0.81 ERA since he was moved out of the bullpen and into the rotation. The Braves, meanwhile, have been victorious the last 19 times the right-hander has started a game, dating all the way back to May 29, 2010.

The Nationals won't have one of their big sluggers in the lineup to try to end Medlen's streak, with Michael Morse again sidelined by a bone bruise and torn sheath in his left hand. Morse is scheduled to take batting practice later this afternoon, but you've got to think he's still going to need some more time before returning to play.

Ross Detwiler gets the nod for the Nationals, seeking his 10th win. Updates to come live from Turner Field, so please check back…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at ATLANTA BRAVES
Where: Turner Field
Gametime: 7:35 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 184
Weather: Partly cloudy, 78 degrees, Wind 4 mph in from LF

RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

1. MicheleS - Sep 14, 2012 at 8:14 PM

GYFNG! Beat the Braves!

2. SonnyG10 - Sep 14, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Well, Medlen is due for a big loss then!GYFNG!!!

3. peric - Sep 14, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Best defensive lineup.

4. Marty - Sep 14, 2012 at 8:17 PM

This would be a great evening for Adam to have a multi-hit game. Feels like he's due.

5. peric - Sep 14, 2012 at 8:23 PM

In the past, Johnson said he would not use Strasburg as a pinch-hitter, even if Strasburg’s ability – his slash line currently sits at .277/.333/.426 in 53 plate appearances – made it tempting. But Johnson insisted he was not joking about the possibility of Strasburg batting.As I thought would happen loooonnnng many moons ago. Even though Davey said naaah at the time.The Nats will have a 24 man playoff roster because one slot will be reserved for Stras. As they should if they truly ARE not just interested in this year but in the long-term fortune of this franchise. Stras must be on that playoff roster ready to pinch hit if need be. .277 for a pinch hitter ain't bad at all.

6. baseballswami - Sep 14, 2012 at 8:23 PM

So – is this a game where we need the reverse lock in our favor? If Detwiler is on, he is brutal. I hope that's the case and nothing happens early in the game to rattle him. Medlen is mortal, just like Dickey was mortal.Our line- up can hit anyone, anywhere – it might take them a while into the game. They might have to knock someone out that they can't solve, but everyone of OUR players is a tough out at this point. I have wanted that to be the case for a very long time. I hope they make they Barves pitchers work and work and work and wear them down.

7. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 14, 2012 at 8:24 PM

I hate the Braves stupid 7:35 start. Another thing to add to my "Why I Can't Stand Stan Kasten" list.

8. NCNatsie - Sep 14, 2012 at 8:24 PM

First time Medlin goes to a 3-2 count, let's all shout at our TV's and see if it really does work. If he throws ball 4 or gives up a hit, we'll know it does. You could blow your vuvusula instead of shouting.

9. peric - Sep 14, 2012 at 8:25 PM

So – is this a game where we need the reverse lock in our favor? If Detwiler is on, he is brutal.This is the best defensive lineup you could have. That should lean things decidedly in Detwiler's favor.

10. peric - Sep 14, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Harper's on a tear, let's see if they can ride him the rest of the way … meanwhile Ziim keeps putting up numbers to prove he's their best hitter. Its a nice #1, #2, #3 … maybe the best they've ever had in the history of this franchise. And it shows with the recent winning tear.

11. NCNatsie - Sep 14, 2012 at 8:28 PM

On second thought, no vuvuzulas. That would introduce a second variable and screw up the test.

12. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 14, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I'm not sure but I don't think men have a "vuvusula".

13. Scooter - Sep 14, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I would never use my vuvusula to an unfair advantage.

14. Another_Sam - Sep 14, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Ditto NatsJack from an earlier thread-for me, every game now is a like a Super Bowl. I'm thinking of taking time off next week so I can get to those weeknight games. I lived and breathed Redskins and Bullets (remember their championship?) and this excitement is far more palpable.

15. baseballswami - Sep 14, 2012 at 8:45 PM

You guys are cracking me up!!!!!

16. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 14, 2012 at 8:46 PM

NatsJack wrote: "I hate the Braves stupid 7:35 start."——————————-I'm more concerned about tomorrow's start time. I don't get Fox and I'm going to have a pretty hard time convincing my local bar to switch the TV from the Ducks' football game to the Nats (assuming it's even an option). But you gotta take the games one at a time, so I'll address that tomorrow.

17. natsfan1a - Sep 14, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Det likes facing the Bravos, right? Go, Det! Go, NATS BATS!!And I LOL'd, NatsJack. Wasn't that Jerry's girlfriend in the Junior Mint episode? :-)

18. Section 222 - Sep 14, 2012 at 8:51 PM

peric, you're joking about Stras taking up a roster spot for the playoffs right? No way, no how, never going to happen in a million years. And if they did it, it would just start up the rumor mill that they intend to use him as a closer, or in Game 5/7, or something. So that's another reason it's never going to happen. No way.

19. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 14, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Eugene….Since the Ray/Yankees are the other Fox game, we get blocked here in Central Florida. My favorite watering hole will utilize there european sattelite dish they use for soccer and get the Armed Forces feed on one of their gazillion 42" flat screens for me just like they did 2 weeks ago against the Cards

20. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 14, 2012 at 8:53 PM

1a….I think so.

21. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 14, 2012 at 8:55 PM

and I meant "their european".

22. peric - Sep 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM

peric, you're joking about Stras taking up a roster spot for the playoffs right? No way, no how, never going to happen in a million years. Watch and see. The talking heads will continue to say whatever they want … I mean I couldn't believe Jimmy "Kitty" Kaat! What a jerk he owes some folks an apology in my opinion. Medical science has advanced light years since he was pitching … early onset of Alzheimer's if you ask me.They have to put Stras on the playoff roster. He is a big reason they are in the playoffs. His shutdown (albeit consistently done with all young pitchers they have since Rizzo took over) is unprecedented. And he is hitting .277 in 53 at bats. That's better than Matt "Stares" Stairs.

23. peric - Sep 14, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Its all about wanting to ensure Stras feels like he is a part of the team effort and contributing … very, very wise move to put him on the playoff roster if they want to keep the guy long-term and not lose him.

24. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 14, 2012 at 9:12 PM

So let me get this straight. Stras already feels bad because he's neen assigned a role of "non-active participant" yet the club will short hand Davey's roster so they can spare his feelings.Right.Almost as silly as putting Bryce Harper on the DL because he's home sick and needs to visit Mommy and Daddy.

25. Another_Sam - Sep 14, 2012 at 9:14 PM

IMHO these professionals work in an environment similar to the one we all work in. If the boss can make you feel good and it doesn't cost him anything, he might do it if he thinks it's in his best interest. If it costs him anything – like a roster spot – there's no way. This can't be a serious notion, can it.

26. NCNatsie - Sep 14, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I can see it now. Davey puts Strasburg on the NLDS roster and he pinch hits for Burnett in the bottom of the 10th in Game Five. He hits a game-and-series winning home run, whereupon the national media demand he be turned into an outfielder. The Yankees offer Lerner a billion dollars for his contract so they can build a new shoppping center to be called Nannette Mall. Stras, now nicknamed The Strasbino, goes on to rewrite the home run record books, while the Nats, as if cursed, fail to reach the world series again for decades. NO, NO, DAVEY! DON'T DO IT!

27. CN - Sep 14, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Interesting that Bernie isn't manning CF when he's in the lineup. Seems like a prime opportunity to slide Harper to LF without risking any defensive range in center while also having Harper get a bit of a rest in LF.

28. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 14, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Stras over an extra bullpen arm or Corey Brown who can PH, run, and play defense.Sorry Peric, not happening. He will get to travel with the team.

29. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 14, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Glad Morse is sitting and should until his wrist is 100%

30. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 14, 2012 at 9:32 PM

JD at 4:23 on the previous thread. Nice summation. Add Bryce, Detwiler and Mike MGonzo to positives and add Wang and HenRod to negatives.

31. Another_Sam - Sep 14, 2012 at 9:41 PM

CN – the regular centerfielder is in the lineup. That's why Bernie isn't there.

32. jesse campion - Sep 14, 2012 at 9:41 PM

33. Steady Eddie - Sep 14, 2012 at 9:42 PM

CN — Harper has a much better arm than the Shark, and at this point has just as good range, and reads liners as well as the Shark. That's why he's in CF — he's got a rep for outfield assists that's not that far from Ankiel territory.

34. Steady Eddie - Sep 14, 2012 at 9:45 PM

jesse — would you want to be in the Braves position and not have had Stras as a starter for the first 2/3 of the season? Not have had the NL pitcher of the month in April? Like people say, a win in April counts as much as a win in September. You hold out Stras like that and the Nats don't have first place in the NL East for the past 3 1/2 months.

35. NCNatsie - Sep 14, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Isn't it likely that Harper staying in CF in a game like this simply means that they now see that as his permanent position (and thus won't be looking for a CF in the offseason)?

36. Steady Eddie - Sep 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM

NCNatsie — I hope so. He's grown into the position faster and better than could have been expected. I guess Davey has pounded "hit the cutoff man!" into him long enough so that he doesn't seem as inclined to airmail throws to the backstop any more.

37. Theophilus T. S. - Sep 14, 2012 at 10:09 PM

CN and Eddie — You don't get it; Harper is a better CF than Bernadina. (A) Harper's arm is better; (B) Bernadina is fine on stuff hit at angles that he can outrun, not so good on stuff hit right at him. The next two nights after he made the catch in the corner of the CF wall against the Astros, he screwed up two flyballs to left, starting back on one where he should have come in, then reversing the mistake and starting in when he should have gone back. Harper stays in CF until (1) he outgrows it or (2) the day-to-day wear and tear of covering Morse's half of left-center field wears him out.

38. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 14, 2012 at 10:12 PM

39. waddu eye no - Sep 14, 2012 at 10:14 PM

i aint afraid of no medlengyfng

40. Gonat - Sep 14, 2012 at 10:14 PM

jesse campion said… I am curious to how others feel about Medlen pitching in the bullpen for 4 months and then going into the rotation. He had TJ surgery within a few weeks of Strasburg. The Braves method may be the blueprint moving forward. September 14, 2012 5:41 PM I don't think the Braves knew Medlen was going to be this dominant, and Rizzo needed Stras to help the Nats get off to a good start.End result should be Nats as Division winner and Braves loss in the Wild Card playoff so you tell me who is better off.

41. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 14, 2012 at 10:15 PM

jesse campion @ 5:41: One thing that was rarely (if ever) noted about the way the Braves handled Kris Medlen was that Mr. Medlen started out as a reliever (at least as a professional; I don't know his high school/college history). If I'm reading his pro stats correctly, he was only converted to a starter a couple of years ago, not long before the TJ surgery. Thus, to have him return to the bullpen upon his return made a lot of sense. Presumably he was comfortable with the relievers role, but also understood the process of stretching himself out to move into the starting rotation.In Stephen Strasburg's case, my understanding — backed up by his pro record; again, I'm not sure about high school and college — is that he was never a reliever. To have started him in the bullpen would have been asking him to learn a role he's never had (at least in the past four or five years and certainly not as a pro) in the midst of his comeback. I'm certainly not an expert on pitcher development, but that doesn't strike me as a smart approach.

42. Gonat - Sep 14, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Eugene, good points as Stras as a reliever but again the impact of Stras from April thru early September is immeasurable. I think Rizzo did it right and Strasburg hit the wall like JZim did last year.

43. Gonat - Sep 14, 2012 at 10:28 PM

No Michael Bourn against Detwiler.

44. Steady Eddie - Sep 14, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Theo — your apparent need to throw in gratuitous personal shots at someone who agrees with you — and who said nothing in conflict with your position — is quite remarkable to behold.

45. JaneB - Sep 14, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Eugene! Last Friday during my sons rehearsal dinner in Portland, they were showing the Nats and I didn't even ask them to! Shared the screen with two or three other teams but more than half the time it was Nats. Brix Tavetn in the Pearl. Go there!!! They will have the real game on if you ask and maybe even if you don't ask!GYFNG ! Tuesday home game is getting closer by the minute. Meantime may Ross be his nastiest self yet.

46. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 14, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Morse out all weekend.

47. Feel Wood - Sep 14, 2012 at 10:55 PM

The team has been saying for years that they consider Bernadina's best position to be left field, not center or even right. He was only playing center because they didn't have anyone better. Now they have several better center fielders (Harper, Werth, Eury Perez, Corey Brown) so Bernie is playing left.

48. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 14, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Some Goid point of view on Stras in light of how the Braves handled Medlen.Division vs Wild Card

49. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 14, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I just came home from my MA (maloox anonomys) meeting. Been on wagon 3 days now.So far I am relaxed.

50. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 14, 2012 at 11:20 PM

51. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 14, 2012 at 11:20 PM

JaneB @ 6:47: Thanks for the suggestion; not an option tomorrow (100 miles away), but I'll remember Brix Tavern — we're up in Portland regularly for one thing (skating) or another (track). Did you get to Powell's Books?

52. Swift Eagle - Sep 14, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Time for the Nats to turn Medlin into a pumpkin…as Davey said, "We owe this guy one"…

53. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM

BTW — and this may be old news to some — I saw today that Brandon McCarthy is out of the hospital and well enough to walk around his neighborhood. That was scary.

54. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 14, 2012 at 11:48 PM

22 pitches for Medlen in the first. I like that.

55. baseballswami - Sep 14, 2012 at 11:48 PM

So it sounds like everyone on tv and twitter agrees that we have no chance to win this game because Kris Medlen is a god and will win the cy young for the next ten years. I guess I don't need to watch.

56. Gonat - Sep 14, 2012 at 11:50 PM

For all the complainers about "soft tossers", Medlen seems fairly good at 88-91mph.

57. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 14, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Not me swami. He's good but so are the Nats.

58. Gonat - Sep 14, 2012 at 11:51 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… 22 pitches for Medlen in the first. I like that. September 14, 2012 7:48 PM ___________________________________Do it again and again and again and again and he will be gone by the 5th.

59. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 14, 2012 at 11:53 PM

My third least favorite ump Tim Timmons behind the plate. Still ticked from the Saturday game vs. Yankees.

60. Gonat - Sep 14, 2012 at 11:54 PM

So far 2 defensive swings for 2 singles by the Braves.

61. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 14, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Finally.A first pitch strike by Det.

62. Unknown - Sep 14, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Martin Prado is batting a thousand against the Nats–why would they ever give him a pitch to hit. Heyward is another Braves hitter that the Nats pitchers can no longer get out.

63. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 14, 2012 at 11:55 PM

64. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 14, 2012 at 11:57 PM

And another first pitch strike and he's out of the inning. See how great throwing first pitch strikes are?

65. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 14, 2012 at 11:57 PM

66. Gonat - Sep 14, 2012 at 11:58 PM

So much for getting that pitch count up. Desi typical 1st pitch swinging.

67. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 14, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Unknown @ 7:55: Right. And both of them got weak, opposite-field singles.Which means the Nats pitched them the way they were supposed to.

68. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… Werth , Zim , and LaRoche, all looked over matched. Harper Seemed to have a lot less problems. September 14, 2012 7:55 PM _________________________________Werth wasn't over matched. Just waiting for Medlen to make a mistake. Good to see a lot of pitches.I also think Medlen did his homework. Had Espi perfectly pitched to that 2 strike swingback fastball inside.

69. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Desi has been great all year swinging at the first pitch, I have no problem with that..Medlin has been good, but it's still all soft junk, kind of a right handed Lannan…He's a bad match for the free swinging Nats, but not impossible…

70. baseballswami - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Study the first time, think the second time. His stuff is good but it looks like he might fall into predictable patterns.

71. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Striking out Espi not hard leads NL

72. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Swift, you are correct on Desi but I think against Medlen it has to be patience as the strategy for all batters as the goal is to send him to the showers early.

73. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Good point Gonat…Medlin is throwing so many strikes though, it's hard to wait too long or hitters will find themselves down in the countI'm sure the plan is to try to get ahead and jump on his fastball…as always

74. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Gonat….he's at 33 so a patiient inning here can put him in the 50's.

75. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:13 AM

From NJ on Davey Johnson on clinching the Wild Card:"That’s not a big moment. It’s a nice moment, but it’s not a big moment. The additional wild card, to me, just really put more of a burden on the manager, because nobody wants that one. A one-game playoff to get in? The other format, if you were the wild card, you’re in the playoffs. So clinching a one-game playoff doesn’t have any appeal at all to me."

76. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Haha..I want to Knock him out…not Pitch Count him out!

77. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Swift, Werth ambushed him!

78. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Junk, Junk, Junk….He's pretty young to be so "crafty"Yep Gonat, Werth jumped on a fastball up, at 88 mph that's BP…

79. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Chipper takes one away from Zim.

80. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Great play by a HOF 3B…Man is he retired yet? Longest farewell tour ever…

81. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:21 AM

88 mph fastball to Zim and just got on top of that. A shame. I thought the Nats may have had Medlen in a spot he's not used to.48 pitches so far.

82. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Jewish scare of Harper more than Zim we will see more of that by 2014

83. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Good to know Mark is there, and you all. I can catch up on the game.

84. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Ross should think about the pitch around when Prado is up…I believe he's hitting about .600 against him

85. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Auto correct. Jewish = Medlen

86. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Atl broadcasters just called Ryan's throw "Weird-looking"…have to agreeSutton added that Ryan never makes an error when on the run

87. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Prado absolutely owns Detwiler…14-22 career per Gameday

88. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:25 AM

I just don't know where you pitch Prado. His cool zone is on the outside where he got the 2 hits on Det.Why wasn't Heyward thrown out?

89. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:27 AM

The umps apparently don't HAVE to throw you out when you throw equipment, but they can…Apparently they can assign a fine, which is what the home plate ump did to Heyward..At least that's what the Braves radio guys are saying

90. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:28 AM

I like Det's pitching. Just need something different with Prado.

91. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Harper tossed for throwing helmet when he was mad at self. Heyward throws helmet as hard. Karat ump not tossed. Proves point umps have it in for Harper

92. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Swift, you are correct. Just a good comparison on the disparate treatment of the rookie Harp and a 3rd year guy like Heyward.

93. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Medlen missed pitch #2 to Desmond by 2 gloves and unfortunately he wasn't hacking.

94. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Actually fine is what they do.usually. was what Harper should have had

95. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Look at Espi. Check swings on the high fastball and then he gets the inside fastball.Maybe Espi can bunt next at-bat.

96. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:37 AM

That was not a strike to Bernadina. Come on ump. That's just helping a guy who doesn't need it.

97. djinFl. - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:38 AM

The ump seems to be as caught up in Medlin as Carp and FP.

98. Exposremains - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:39 AM

not a strike

99. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:40 AM

I told everyone I hate Tim Tmmens. Remember he is so inconsistent

100. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:41 AM

He gives Det nothing like he gives Medlen

101. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Shark played that like Morse

102. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Uggla's red shirt appears to be even tighter than his white, blue or grey ones…if that's even possible..

103. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Desi good play

104. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Det needs a K here real bad.

105. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Am I right that Mr. Detwiler cost himself that run (i.e., that he should have been covering first on the potential double play)?

106. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:50 AM

That's a shame with the pitcher on deck. That is where Ross needed to be working the K instead of a possible doubleplay.

107. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Eugene, I didn't see that angle but I don't think Desi was comfortable going back to 1st.

108. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:52 AM

The runner would have beat it that is why Desi faked throw and then went to 3rd

109. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:54 AM

You may be right Eugene, but there's a lot for Ross to do on a play like that…If the ball gets through the infield he has to be backing up home, so he may have been stuck between on that play…tough one

110. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Gonat, MNF, and Swift: Fair enough.

111. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Eugene got 3 opinions quickly. Last year Desi would have forced a throw to 1st. I like the smarter Desi this year.

112. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:02 AM

10 K 7 called. not good.

113. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Reed Johnson with a doinker.

114. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Prado 10 for 12 v Detwiler this season…

115. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:04 AM

They get lot more foul balls on two strike counts then Bats get.

116. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… 10 K 7 called. not good. September 14, 2012 9:02 PM _________________________________Also helped on 2 K's. I'm not surprised but will be happy to maintain a 1-0 deficit and get the Nats into the bullpen.

117. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:06 AM

To the person complaining about Bernadina playing like Morse in LF, that was spectacular.

118. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Great catch by Shark. much harder than the play he didn't make last inning.

119. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Ouch.

120. JaneB - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Eugene, Powells is a haunt for me 3-4 times a year. I'm powerless against them,I hate Tim Timmons. And Martin Prado, whose batting average has at least .100 more because of the games he plays against us. I'm in the hunter,ands of NC again, and "watching" on gameday and reading Mark's live blog. Ross seems to be doing okay, and Medien pitching more tha Ross, so we knock him out and then we strike.Seriously. If my heart can be in my throat as much as it is, just watching a CARTOON on gameday, how do our guys stay in their own skin? That more of a miracle than hitting a 95 MPH fastball, in my view,

121. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Manassas ……that double by Freeman was 20 feet over Rogers head. That wasn't close to catchable.

122. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Ok, Nats, time to put some pressure on Mr. Medlen. I'm not a fan of Roger Clemens, but let's keep his 20-starts without a loss record on the books.

123. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Thank you NatsJack for that. I probably wouldn't have been so diplomatic.Legion of Doom at work.

124. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:12 AM

BOOMHarperI'm no doctor, but I'd prescribe a cortisone shot for Berni…maybe he'll hit .380 with 20 bombs…

125. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Harper

126. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:12 AM

And does that pass Mel Ott?

127. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Ambush

128. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Followed by the Legion of BOOM to oppo boppo!!!!

129. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:13 AM

I think that ties Mel Ott at 19

130. JaneB - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:14 AM

I am SO in the tank for The Kid. Doesn't pass Mel yet. He will, though. No doubt.

131. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:14 AM

8 Called k

132. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Detwiler back to getting the Nats in a manageable 1-1 game.

133. Drew - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Five away from Tony C.Way to go, Kid!

134. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Ok, so how about passing him in the next at-bat?

135. Drew - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Five away from Tony C.Way to go, Kid!

136. JaneB - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:18 AM

1-1 is like a do-over. We start clean. This time, WE WIN. Tim and Martin be damned.

137. JaneB - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Figuratively, of course.

138. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Ross is filthy tonight, very impressive

139. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Don't have to throw a strike to strike out Danny tonight..

140. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Jacob Turner of the Marlins is shuting out the Reds so far after 7 innings.

141. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Swift Eagle said… Don't have to throw a strike to strike out Danny tonight.. September 14, 2012 9:25 PM __________________________________That is where Lombo is so good as a contact guy.

142. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:28 AM

The Wave in the Atl…Notice they aren't doing it while the Braves are trying to hit…

143. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Detwiler showed you how you beat an Ace – you go Ace yourself. Very impressive.

144. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Medlen throws a ball outside on pitch #1 and gets the call. Just have to hate helping him out.

145. Drew - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Ross matches Stras with a 3.16 ERA.

146. Grandstander - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:32 AM

I wonder what the thinking was having Brown up instead of Tracy with 2 out and a runner on 1st.

147. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:33 AM

First 2 pitches to Brown were hittable…He was toast after that…

148. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Davey usually waits for runners in scoring position to use Tracy…Suzuki could score from 1B on a HR (I think) but that's about it

149. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Berni again

150. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Yah, Bernadina fields like Morse. Laughable.

151. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Haha..Gonat, not worth your time…same stuff all season

152. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Medlen gone. 1 inning more than I expected but adios. See you next year!

153. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:38 AM

They always seem to have men on when Prado is up…Ugh

154. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:39 AM

155. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Mattheus needs the pitchers best friend here, the doubleplay.

156. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Braves radio says Matheus is too concerned about the base runner….There's a new one!

157. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:42 AM

158. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… Detwiler pitched better than his final line showed. This kid just looking great. September 14, 2012 9:39 PM _______________________________Agreed, a lot of doinks and dink hits.

159. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Suzuki with a bullet.

160. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I bring in the lefty reliever here. I don't like what I see from Mattheus

161. JaneB - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I trust Ryan, though. And the whole bull pen. Especially Garcia now.

162. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Love it. Davey playing it like post-season baseball.Mattheus didn't have it tonight.

163. Drew - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:45 AM

He's out — just like when he saw the sponge bath at the hospital.

164. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Phew…Nice job bullpen…The Braves are tough! Going to be a bullpen battle tonight. Hope the Nats can avoid Kimbrell

165. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Top of the order. Need a few hits, maybe even a run? Pressure, pressure, pressure, please.

166. Grandstander - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Mattheus wasn't that bad, seemed just like a normal matchups switch on Davey's part, especially with expanded rosters.

167. JaneB - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Okay. When we picked up Gonzalwz, for the pen, I said, huh? In addition to asking WWDD, I now totally trust Rizzo. Isn't this a fun, albeit Maalox-inducing, period we are in? We're about to win this game, even though it's not obvious to others yet.

168. djinFl. - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:49 AM

I thought Det had on his post season game face tonight. None of the big smiles we saw as he became comfortable with his return to the rotation. Just all business. I am very comfortable with him assuming a major role in the post season rotation.

169. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Detwiler will do great when he starts Game 4 to complete the sweep of the NLCS…He'll be a little rusty since he won't be needed in NLDS

170. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Bryce struck out on a ball off the plate. Note to ump, make sure the Nats pitchers get that same call.

171. JaneB - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Swift Eagle…exactly right!

172. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:03 AM

My problem with the Shark'd non catch was the ball barely got to the track. Freeman a little shallow and said that to my son as he came up.

173. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Great use of the bullpen. Time for the Nats bats to get this W for Drew!

174. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Kimbrel in…Danny homered off him in the 0-9 nightmare game…

175. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Danny hit him oppo boppo

176. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:07 AM

15 Ks, 1 walk…and it's tied in the 9th!

177. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Wow, that was just 3-curve abuse K on LaRoche.

178. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:09 AM

and 3 fastballs at 98 to Desmond. Stay. Beg. Sit.

179. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Kimbrel is the best pitcher I've seen this season…Amazing

180. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:09 AM

This ump is a joke. Ball at the ankles is now a strike.

181. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Well, at least Espinosa saw 4 pitches. Oh, my.

182. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:11 AM

So, will they bring Mr. Kimbrel back in the 10th?

183. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:11 AM

So much for the Nats getting some runs against the Braves bullpen. Have to get this into the 10th!

184. Drew - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:12 AM

That dude's got some serious giddy-up.

185. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:12 AM

I doubt Kimbrel will stay in…Freddie over used him last year and learned his lesson..remember, the Braves are just about locked in for the WC…They can't risk it

186. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Davey is playing chess here.

187. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Had to laugh. My wife and granddaughter come in and wife told gd that Bats batter looked like her when she plaid in P.E. couldn't touch a thing.17 K now against Nats

188. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Swift, exactly. Venters hasn't been the same.

189. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:14 AM

The second strike to Espinosa was a little low, but I wouldn't say "ankles."

190. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Desi with a Web Gem! Nice!

191. Exposremains - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:18 AM

burnett almost gives 2 hits, really, is that the best guy out there.

192. Exposremains - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:19 AM

get burnett out of there

193. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Need a K here..Prado on deck

194. Swift Eagle - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Tough loss…Braves are good

195. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:20 AM

That's a shame.

196. Section 3, My Hitterish Sofa - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Ok. Go get 'em tomorrow.

197. Exposremains - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:21 AM

and burnett cost another game to the Nats. I don't care if DJ is trying to make him a man. He's costing this team big time.

198. mick - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Ian??????

199. Gonat - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:21 AM

If Desi is at double play depth, its tailor made. Oh well.

200. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 15, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Not going to get upset about that one; good, tight game. Having the final AB is a big part of home field advantage.