Sep 15, 2012, 2:22 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Roger Bernadina slams into the fence robbing Jason Heyward of a fifth-inning hit.
Game in a nutshell: In the opener of a weekend series that could decide whether the Nationals run away with the NL East or whether the Braves make this thing interesting again, a big crowd at Turner Field was treated to a well-played, well-pitched ballgame that had a playoff feel to it. Ross Detwiler churned out six innings of one-run ball, pitching his way out of some jams. Kris Medlen, meanwhile, blew away the Nationals lineup, striking out 13 over seven spectacular innings. Bryce Harper finally broke through against the fast-emerging ace of the Atlanta staff, clubbing a solo homer to left in the sixth inning to knot the game up 1-1. It remained that way until the bottom of the ninth, when the Braves got a couple of one-out singles off Sean Burnett, setting the stage for a dramatic finish. Burnett got pinch-hitter Tyler Pastornicky to hit a sharp grounder to short, and Ian Desmond had a play at the plate. But Desmond's throw sailed way wide, and Andrelton Simmons slid across with the winning run, dropping the Nats' lead in the NL East to 7 1/2 games.
Hitting highlight: They didn't do much of anything at the plate against Medlen and the Braves bullpen, but Harper's performance certainlyRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season