Sep 16, 2012, 1:26 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Davey Johnson argues with umpire Marvin Hudson, resulting in his ejection.
ATLANTA — The call that turned Saturday’s ballgame upside-down and set the Braves on their way to a 5-4 victory seemed obvious to everyone in a Nationals uniform.
Adam LaRoche’s left foot never lost contact with first base — “I was sure,” the veteran said later — and Martin Prado should have been called out on what looked like a routine groundout to open the bottom of the sixth.
So when Marvin Hudson signaled safe, Davey Johnson didn’t know what else to do but bolt out of the Turner Field visitors dugout and let the 48-year-old umpire have it.
“I knew,” the 69-year-old manager said. “Even with these old eyes, I knew I was right. I didn’t need a replay. And I’m thinking: Here’s a young man, right on top of it. Obviously he had to be out of position.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- Michael Jenkins takes walkoff pie to the face (VIDEO)
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown
- PHOTO: Kevin Durant rocks a Nats jersey
- UPDATE: Nats DFA Perez, claim Twins shortstop
- If healthy, Zimmerman should be in Nats lineup
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine