Sep 16, 2012, 1:26 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Davey Johnson argues with umpire Marvin Hudson, resulting in his ejection.
ATLANTA — The call that turned Saturday’s ballgame upside-down and set the Braves on their way to a 5-4 victory seemed obvious to everyone in a Nationals uniform.
Adam LaRoche’s left foot never lost contact with first base — “I was sure,” the veteran said later — and Martin Prado should have been called out on what looked like a routine groundout to open the bottom of the sixth.
So when Marvin Hudson signaled safe, Davey Johnson didn’t know what else to do but bolt out of the Turner Field visitors dugout and let the 48-year-old umpire have it.
“I knew,” the 69-year-old manager said. “Even with these old eyes, I knew I was right. I didn’t need a replay. And I’m thinking: Here’s a young man, right on top of it. Obviously he had to be out of position.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)