Sep 16, 2012, 8:42 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Gio Gonzalez seeks win No. 20 tonight at Turner Field.
ATLANTA — It's Sunday night, and the Nationals and Braves have the entire national stage to themselves. Well, aside from whatever NFL game is being played in primetime, which I'm sure we'll find out tomorrow drew 4,862 times more viewers than this pennant race ballgame. But I digress…
ESPN gets a good one tonight, with the Braves trying to sweep the series and pull within 5 1/2 games of the NL East lead. The Nationals, of course, came to town knowing they just needed to win once to keep the lead at a comfortable 7 1/2 games, so now the pressure's on them to salvage tonight's finale.
Davey Johnson will send his de facto ace to the mound in Gio Gonzalez, seeking to become the first 20-game winner in the majors this season and boost his increasing Cy Young Award hopes. He'll be opposed by fellow left-hander Mike Minor, who owns a 4.42 ERA for the season but hasn't given up a run in his last 12 2/3 innings.
Plenty of updates to come live from Turner Field…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at ATLANTA BRAVES
Where: Turner Field
Gametime: 8:05 p.m. EDT
Radio: WWXT (92.7 FM), WWXX (94.3 FM), WJFK (106.7 FM), WTEM (980 AM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 89
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 83 degrees, Wind 4 mph out to LF
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth bobblehead release gets pushed back
- Turner looks comfortable in debut at second base
- Month to forget continues for Scherzer, Nats
- Scherzer's struggles continue in Nationals' 4-3 loss to Marlins
- Hip surgery for Span, but Taylor's knee OK
- Game Thread: Nationals open series vs. Marlins
- Desperate Nationals recall OF from AAA Syracuse
- MLB Power Rankings: More movement in AL East
- Ross shines against former team, pulled early for innings limit
- Span likely out for season after latest injury