Game 146: Nats at Braves

Sep 16, 2012, 8:42 PM EST

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Gio Gonzalez seeks win No. 20 tonight at Turner Field.

ATLANTA — It's Sunday night, and the Nationals and Braves have the entire national stage to themselves. Well, aside from whatever NFL game is being played in primetime, which I'm sure we'll find out tomorrow drew 4,862 times more viewers than this pennant race ballgame. But I digress…

ESPN gets a good one tonight, with the Braves trying to sweep the series and pull within 5 1/2 games of the NL East lead. The Nationals, of course, came to town knowing they just needed to win once to keep the lead at a comfortable 7 1/2 games, so now the pressure's on them to salvage tonight's finale.

Davey Johnson will send his de facto ace to the mound in Gio Gonzalez, seeking to become the first 20-game winner in the majors this season and boost his increasing Cy Young Award hopes. He'll be opposed by fellow left-hander Mike Minor, who owns a 4.42 ERA for the season but hasn't given up a run in his last 12 2/3 innings.

Plenty of updates to come live from Turner Field…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at ATLANTA BRAVES
Where: Turner Field
Gametime: 8:05 p.m. EDT
TV: ESPN
Radio: WWXT (92.7 FM), WWXX (94.3 FM), WJFK (106.7 FM), WTEM (980 AM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 89
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 83 degrees, Wind 4 mph out to LF

RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

1. peric - Sep 16, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Big game … they need this one because everyone is going to start beating on everyone associated with the Nats for the Stras shutdown if they lose. Pressure is decidedly on.

2. Doc - Sep 16, 2012 at 8:58 PM

This one's ours!!!No more Golden Somberos for Espi—at least for this game!Let's bang this guy around guys!GooooooooooooooooNats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. peric - Sep 16, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Remember Desmond last season … next year Espinosa will be a lot better …Hopefully, Tyler Moore will be amenable to the idea of playing winter ball to hone his outfield skills this offseason.

4. Scooter - Sep 16, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Grr. I should have a taped game to watch by now!I guess I'll muddle through somehow. Spend time with my family, or some [darn] thing …

5. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 16, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Astros just beat the Phillies. Unreal. Took 3 of 4.

6. NatsLady - Sep 16, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Look at the Pirates. That is a wild one. You would think 9 runs would beat the Cubbies. Think again.

7. NatsLady - Sep 16, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Can't say I'm sorry. Marlins just clinched their third straight losing series, and—coolstandings ‏@coolstandingsHOU 7, PHI 6. #Phillies playoff chances now 1.2%. http://www.coolstandings.com/baseball

8. sm13 - Sep 16, 2012 at 9:38 PM

The team needs to play smarter and looser tonight. Both losses this weekend can be blamed on nerves. A win tonight and they'll be poised for a big home stand, with a chance to clinch the division at home. Go Gio!

9. MicheleS - Sep 16, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Go GIO!!!!! GYFNG!!!

10. Another_Sam - Sep 16, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Here's my first [and I hope the final] thought on the bad call. I'm watching the 'Skins, passing time until the real contest of the day. The rules of that league are so arcane, the replay and review procedure so esoteric, and so on, that the guys in the booth can't figure it out, the referees can't figure it out, the coaches can't figure it out, and certainly the fans can't figure it out.Over the season, the Nats have benefitted from a number of er, blown, calls and I'm fine with the way things are. May the NFL scheme never invade our elegant game.

11. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 16, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Philthies back under .500 After they quietly got back into the playoff race they crumbled under the recent pressure.

12. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 16, 2012 at 9:51 PM

NatsLady, what was the outcome of the pinch hitter appearance for the Red Sox.

13. Melissa Rabey - Sep 16, 2012 at 9:57 PM

It's interesting, the Phillies have been the ones getting all the attention for "making a late-season surge." But at this point, I think the Brewers have a much better chance of sneaking in. Right now, they're tied with the Pirates, two back from the Cards and the Dodgers for the second wild card. Isn't it funny how two or three weeks ago, we looked at the stretch starting with the upcoming home stand and said, "Only the Cards and maybe the Dodgers are in contention–we'll close things out." Oh, how things change.

14. NatsLady - Sep 16, 2012 at 9:59 PM

That’s what he did in the seventh inning of a scoreless game today against the Blue Jays. Valentine opted to stick with a .071-hitting Jose Iglesias with a man on first and two outs in the top of the frame. However, after Pedro Ciriaco stole second base, Valentine had a change of heart, inserting Daniel Nava into the game with a 2-2 count on the hitter.Nava, predictably, grounded out to end the frame, and the Red Sox went on to lose 5-0.

15. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:01 PM

NatsLady, thanks. Valentine will get heat for that one.

16. NatsLady - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Rooting for mega extra innings in Cards-Dodgers. Even though they have the off-day to travel here, let 'em be tired…

17. NatsLady - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Which hitter gets the ding on his batting average?

18. NatsLady - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:07 PM

RG3 lookin' good (even with a pick) but the D, not so much. Watching two baseball games and a pointyball game…

19. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I'm doing the same at a sports bar NatsLady. I'm a Skins fan. Many years of frustration built up.

20. NatsLady - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Gotta love Davey. Amanda Comak ‏@acomakAsked Davey if he'd recruit both sides to pick up Adam LaRoche's mutual option: "We need him back more than they need me back."

21. Scooter - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:24 PM

NatsLady, I think it's whoever ends the at-bat, but that's just off the top of my head.

22. NatsLady - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Valverde, BS + Loss. Guess his luck has run out.

23. Bigfish - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Note that the Philthies' loss today eliminates them from winning the NL East. I know that was a foregone conclusion — but it still feels good to say that.

24. NatsLady - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Bigfish, I just love love love that Fillies "E" in the standings.

25. Santangelo for President 2012 - Sep 16, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Leave it up to the baseball gods, Hudson has the plate tonight.

26. Knoxville Nat - Sep 16, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Sam,For the most part I agree with you regarding limited replay in baseball, however I would like to see a rule that would require the umpire to seek help from the other umps when a manager challenges his call. The only reasons I can think of that Hudson didn't ask for help last night was sheer arrogance on his part and him not wanting his bad call reversed.

27. SCNatsFan - Sep 16, 2012 at 11:39 PM

C'mon Gio, grab that #20 and end this streak. And let Espi go 4-4 with a game winning RBI.

28. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 16, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Redskins once again rip out my heart.

29. NatsLady - Sep 16, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Stupid way to lose a game. Guys–KEEP YOUR COOL!

30. MicheleS - Sep 17, 2012 at 12:05 AM

8 pm starts: too long too wait for a game. Come on Gio.. go get #20.

31. MicheleS - Sep 17, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I don't ever want media to complain about Nats attendance. Look at those empty seats in Atlanta.

32. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 17, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Let's go Gio!

33. blovy8 - Sep 17, 2012 at 12:22 AM

friggin johnson is a one man pitch count killer

34. JaneB - Sep 17, 2012 at 12:23 AM

I am already needing the Maalox… That's how much I want Gio to win this. Now set down the Say Hey kid, Gio. GYFNG!

35. blovy8 - Sep 17, 2012 at 12:25 AM

nice wiffle ball curve there

36. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 17, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Espi's K streak ends at 8. I expect Danny to get that RH swing going.

37. blovy8 - Sep 17, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Gotta say I like Francona more than Joe Morgan during these ESPN broadcasts.

38. blovy8 - Sep 17, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Still miss Jon Miller a lot though.

39. Santangelo for President 2012 - Sep 17, 2012 at 12:36 AM

After a long inning by Gio, Ian and Danny make two outs on two pitches. Sure wish they would have worked the count a little.

40. Secret wasian man - Sep 17, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Ghost. As a long time skins fan I am done with football. Too much thuggery and selfishness in the sport anymore. That guy who threw the ball at the defender at the end should be cut tomorrow. These guys only care about themselves.

41. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 17, 2012 at 12:42 AM

blovy8, yah I got sick of Joe Morgan's favorites. Lacked impartiality.

42. JaneB - Sep 17, 2012 at 12:42 AM

I'm with wasian man. Though I WAS watching today, first time in years. Strikes me that football is for impatient people who can't sustain a long season with many, many games. Mostly I was watching because what else was there to DO before baseball tonight? I'm going to be useless the next few weeks. I can see that now.

43. blovy8 - Sep 17, 2012 at 12:45 AM

lots of good baseball games with playoff implications, the cards/dodgers game was good. Tampa made the Yankees sweat a bit in the end of that game too.

44. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 17, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Secret, all true but still bleed burgundy and gold on the weekends just won't blog and waste time on stating the obvious as they played stupid to lose that game.

45. blovy8 - Sep 17, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Gio's not getting past the fifth at this rate

46. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 17, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Too much nibbling to Minor and everyone else. Be a power pitcher Gio just like you did on the K pitch to Minor.

47. Another_Sam - Sep 17, 2012 at 12:51 AM

JabeB, Wasian – I've watched so much baseball and so little football this season that today the contrast between the two games was ever so striking. To me, at least.

48. JaneB - Sep 17, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Ayck! We need Gio to get some 1-2-3 innings so he can notch the 20th win for us AND him. His stuff looks good. Are the Braves just better? What's up?

49. Swift Eagle - Sep 17, 2012 at 12:56 AM

I actually think the Braves are the better overall team..Davey's edge over Freddie has been a big part of the reason the Nats are in 1st…But as for the rosters, I'd give a slight edge to Braves on talent…

50. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Swift, if I go position by position I think you're smoking whacky weed.

51. blovy8 - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:02 AM

3 friggin 2 to everyone, he'll have 100 pitches by the fourth

52. blovy8 - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:02 AM

This looks like Oakland Gio

53. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Braves strategy seems to take multiple pitches and drive up the Gio's pitch count but Gio isn't helping himself. THROW STRIKES

54. Secret wasian man - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:03 AM

I agree with swift. Braves are better. They are proving it in this series. I think the nats are in big trouble.

55. blovy8 - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:03 AM

bourne would be crazy not to run here

56. blovy8 - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:07 AM

The nats are better than the better braves. The Braves are playing slightly better this series. One run games with a couple of mistakes and a big blown call by the ump doesn't make the Braves all of the sudden better than 7-10. All the games count

57. blovy8 - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:07 AM

ugh, the mouse pad betrays me

58. Swift Eagle - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:08 AM

It's close Ghost, I'm not talking stats, just on who you'd take on your team…Freeman, Heyward, Medlin, Kimbrel, Simmons, are all under 25 and really good already…Add McCann and Prado, that's a lot of good players…It's close

59. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Braves better in comparing positions with Bourn and Kimbrel and when McCann is healthy. Not sure I would take any others as I actually like Werth better than Heyward right now and I would take Medlen over EJax.

60. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Yrs, add Prado.

61. Swift Eagle - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:10 AM

LaRoche has been great this year, but I'd still take Freeman…The Nats seem to have loaded up on the young arms, and the Braves have the young bats…Either way, these 2 teams are going to be having a lot of big series in the next few years

62. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Swift, Now you got one Legion of Doom member in a frenzy.

63. Grandstander - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:12 AM

At this rate, Gio won't even be able to qualify for the win even if he doesn't give up a run.

64. Swift Eagle - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Haha..My bad! There I go ruining it for everyone again! Lol…I'll go back to my corner now

65. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Swift, their infield next year is just Freeman with problems at their other 3 spots unless Prado moves to 2nd.

66. blovy8 - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:14 AM

there's your run. he would have walked one in eventually tonight.

67. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Leadoff walks.

68. ehay2k - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:15 AM

What's with our pitchers and big pitch counts early these last few games? Just seems like we get into so many three ball counts. LannEn is the exception.

69. SCNatsFan - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Once again the Nats pitchers inability to get ahead in counts is killing them. At this rate Gio is going to have to throw about 300 pitches to get a complete game.Bad time of year for the team to turn flat. Need that breakout game.

70. blovy8 - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:16 AM

never throws inside, these guys are too comfy in there

71. Swift Eagle - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:16 AM

I think Simmons is a player at SS…Prado will fill in at 3B or 2B I guess? You're right, they'll still have some holes…But they're still going to be tough..

72. blovy8 - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:17 AM

lousy throw

73. phil dunton - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:18 AM

This is no surprise, the Nats always play poorly on network TV.

74. Secret wasian man - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:18 AM

1 0. Braves. That should just about do it. The sweep is complete. And legion member 5 is going to bed.

75. SCNatsFan - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:18 AM

I didn't realize Moore's arm was that bad

76. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:19 AM

ehay2k, Braves are using the Yankees strategy on working the pitchers although Det did a good job.

77. blovy8 - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:20 AM

2 isn't going to be enough. But they'll probably get more off the bullpen.

78. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:20 AM

I smell a choke.Nats look intimidated again.Someone better teach these kids how to close the deal.

79. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:21 AM

I've stated the obvious here before.Moore is a country boy slugger – that's all.He stinks at First Base — horrible in Left -and his arm is a noodle.Let's move this one dimensional chump.

80. Joe Seamhead - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:21 AM

The outfield doesn't come natural to Tyler Moore. Bo needs to teach him how to crow hop. That throw was pretty weak.

81. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:21 AM

2-0 and some of you are throwing in the towel? Sad

82. ehay2k - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Gio did well against Uggla to throw strikes. May be the first batter out on a one ball count.

83. blovy8 - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:22 AM

i'm out. They never seem to win when i post here.

84. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Ah, I feel better now that I know the Forum Police are here — Swift.Everyone be sure to have your posts filtered, edited, and approved by Swift.

85. Swift Eagle - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Nice to see 2 hits to right by Ryan tonight after the 0-8 start to the series

86. ehay2k - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Werth showed how the Nats were going to attack Minor tonight with his first-pitch ambush attempt. Seemed an odd tactic for Werth. But it appears that was the team's strategy – attack Minor early.

87. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:25 AM

A 2 run jack here is needed.

88. Swift Eagle - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:26 AM

I think you're right ehay…when guys are striking out as often as the Nats have lately, they're reluctant to take a lot of strikes..afraid to fall behind

89. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:26 AM

90. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Kinda wished Espi had just fanned there instead of eating that DP pill.

91. ehay2k - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Or another first pitch hack. Sigh.

92. SCNatsFan - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:27 AM

THe black hole of the lineup

93. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Espi killed that mini opportunity quicker than I could write BE PATIENT ESPI

94. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Maybe Espi just has to start bunting.

95. Swift Eagle - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Haha..he's actually not a very good bunter either!

96. Secret wasian man - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Maybe Espinoza should start sitting.

97. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Hey folks I have a poll question for you all.Would you rather poke yourself in the eye with a sharp stick than listen to to Orel (If there was ever the right name for this guy) Hershiser?Myself, pass me the sharp stick.

98. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Secret, read what I write this morning on Espi.

99. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Bobby, it's bad but others worse than Orel….like Joe Morgan.

100. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Yeah, Uncle Joe was bad. But Hersh is just so condescending. Must've graduated from the Don Sutton School of Broadcasting and Ego Enhancement.

101. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Nats lineup so different without Morse. Espi in the 6 hole is bad.

102. SCNatsFan - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:39 AM

secret you are a liar, you said you were going to bed.The Braves look like the confident team right now (and why not) which I guess you get from years of winning.

103. ehay2k - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Good – didn't want Gio on the bases.

104. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Bobby, true and Orel is better behaved than usual. Letting Francona talk more.

105. SCNatsFan - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:40 AM

And I'll take the ESPN team over the Braves announcers any day. According to them they are building a new wing on to the Hall of Fame for all of their roster.

106. feelanau - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:43 AM

EPPN guys way better than the morons yesterday on fox. Actually giving the Nats some props.

107. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Uggla positioned perfectly for Werth.

108. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:50 AM

In 1982 or so heard an interview with Jim Palmer. He at the time averaged 1 BB ever 40 innings. He said someone at Elias stats people told him that a leadoff walk scored 70% of the time. A leadoff hit including home runs only scored 40%of the time.Tonight we have 2 leadoff hits Bourn in first, Zim's in the 4th. Neither scored. Bourn leadoff walk in third scored.

109. Section 222 - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Dan: So who would you pick for Cy Young, right now? Orel: Gio.Dan: Why?Orel: More wins. Winning team. Brilliant.

110. Gonat - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Finally at a computer. My how things got negative around here. Just don't understand how a 2 run deficit brings out the turncoats.

111. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:54 AM

40% Chance Hsrper scores

112. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Zim trying to hit it 500 feet

113. Section 222 - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:56 AM

ESPN announcers totally missed the Bryce was pissed the ball bounced over the wall. He wanted a triple, and would have had it. To left center!

114. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:56 AM

No one on Zim gets hit man on and he cant advance him. What has gone on last 3 games.

115. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:58 AM

The non advanced runner did score on laroche'S ground out.

116. Gonat - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:58 AM

They were pitching Zim inside so tough to move him to 3rd but the lack of contact on Zim's part has been the problem all weekend.

117. Section 222 - Sep 17, 2012 at 1:59 AM

118. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Thank desi good to see 2 people execute this game espi you are due. homer please

119. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Espi: can you produce some thing in this series?

120. Section 222 - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:00 AM

If Danny can hit a dinger here, Gio can get the win!

121. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Desmond gets contact. Keep in mind Desi is deadly with 2 outs and runner on 3rd.

122. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Espi's head flies wild — long bat — slow swing.he will K

123. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Thats two strikes on Espi

124. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:03 AM

that's the way to use your head, Desi. Good read; good job.

125. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Espi gets to start next inning

126. Gonat - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Section 222 said… Hey, no complaining about so-called Legion of Doom when the number one complainer (Swift) said the Braves are the better overall team. :-) September 16, 2012 9:59 PM __________________________________Just reading through the posts. What's up with that?Swift, seriously? Its comparing them today to the Nats today, not what it looks like in 2013 plus the Nats rotation will be even better next year.

127. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Ha it took the great Espn announcers to the 4th inning to tell us that Gio was going for his 20th win.To make up for it, we've heard it 4 more times since.Give me FP and Bob any day of the week.

128. Gonat - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:05 AM

NatsFanJim said… that's the way to use your head, Desi. Good read; good job. September 16, 2012 10:03 PM __________________________________Really? Its called going on first move. Atlanta was just smarter. They obviously guessed right.

129. NatsLady - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Good thinking, Desi! Espy won't K. :)

130. Gonat - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Gio gives another leadoff walk.

131. Swift Eagle - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Yeah, I said it was close, but I think the Braves have more overall talent on the roster…The Nats have better starting pitching, and I think Zimmerman is the best player on the field…but the Braves have a lot of talented guys under 25…I agree that that could change by this time next year

132. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Here we go: A leadoff walk scores 70% of the time. We shall see.What is it with Gio. He can pound the zone — then he nibbles, nibbles and nibbles. Just throw strikes, Gio.

133. ehay2k - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Rain kept that ball in.

134. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:08 AM

That leadoff walk is now at 3rd — no outs.Gio is fried, cooked, baked, and cooked.Get him the Frig outta there.

135. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Good boy, Davey. Next time, Gio, Man Up and throw strikes. What a waste of talent.

136. NatsLady - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Well, Davey gave Gio a chance. Can't argue with that, made it hard on Stammen, though.

137. Gonat - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Gio with a quick meltdown. That leadoff walk is just beyond horrible. I can't stand it. Give up a single, fine, but a free pass is unacceptable.

138. Swift Eagle - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Obviously not the dominate Gio, but he's kept them in the game…Going to be days like that sometimes…

139. ExposedinDC - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:10 AM

No way Gio should have started that inning

140. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Right now, our Forum Policeman, Swift,might be right.The Braves starting pitching is stronger than our/s — and hands down, their bullpen is stronger. If we meet them in the Playoffs, well, good luck to us.

141. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:11 AM

This game will be delayed in about 4 minutes.

142. Swift Eagle - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Haha..Lots of wet dogs!

143. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Interesting year: Both Gio and Jax have done extremely well. But both of them melt down immediately and suddenly.Edwin especially. Throw strikes, dude.

144. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:14 AM

I dont like stadiums that dont have fans directly behind the plate.

145. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Good job, Stammen!!!

146. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:15 AM

At least Davey didnt bring in Gonzo.

147. Gonat - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:15 AM

NatsFanJim said… Throw strikes, dude. September 16, 2012 10:12 PM ____________________________________Rizzo got 5 hard throwers for the Opening Day roster where they could be aggressive and throw to contact.Gio goes too often on the corners. I don't get it.Be aggressive and attack the strike zone. Frustrating.

148. Section 222 - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:15 AM

NFJ, they led off the broadcast talking about Gio going for No. 20. They did call Espinosa Uggla once, and had Jesus Flores coming up to bat at one point. Plus, it took until this inning for them to notice that it was raining. Plus, they love Chipper way too much. But let's not go overboard on the criticism.

149. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:16 AM

He went!!

150. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Well said Gonat at 10:15

151. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Awesome, Stammen, awesome.

152. ExposedinDC - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Very nice…possible momentum shift

153. NatsLady - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Great job, Craig Stammen!!!! Look, Gio was great in the 4-5th innings. There was nothing wrong with sending him out for the 6th. Maybe should have taken him out after the walk, but just shows you how much Davey trusts Stammen.

154. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Ha ha yep, 222 let's not go overboard. You forgot to mention that they called Stammen 'Staymen' — hmm now that I think about it, Davey does that too. But Davey is nearly 70 so thats his excuse.

155. Nats Fan in Brazil - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:19 AM

156. Ghost Of Steve M. - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Uggla popped up in a 3-0 count. How bad is that!

157. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Escape that leadoff walk.Still 5 days sober of Maloox. Though this poor batting exhibion contines I am afraid I will fall off the wagon

158. Drew - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Great band name:Craig Stammen and the precipitation extrication.

159. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Uggla is perhaps the most overrated player in mlb.

160. Swift Eagle - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:22 AM

2 inning game right now…Probably not scoring in the 9th

161. ExposedinDC - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Get em this inning boys or we are looking at o flayerty, venters and kimbrel

162. Gonat - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Nats Fan in Brazil said… How hanson,medlen,minor,hudson and maholn are better than strass,gio,zimm,det and e-jax? September 16, 2012 10:19 PM ___________________________________Agreed and how is:Simmons better than DesiFreeman better than LaRocheChipper better than ZimI'm not even sure stone hands Uggla is better than Espi although I pass on both. Werth has a better OBP than Heyward. I only take Bourn over Harper since we're comparing today's lineup.

163. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Drew: I dont know about that band name. Say it fast and with a couple of beers in you and you could really get in trouble.

164. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Inside they know where to pitch this rube.

165. Gonat - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:23 AM

ExposedinDC said… Get em this inning boys or we are looking at o flayerty, venters and kimbrel September 16, 2012 10:22 PM ___________________________________Kimbrel may have the day off.

166. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Seeya Espi — low IQ chump.I would bet your money that Espi's IQ is in the middle 80's.

167. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Here's another dumb player, Moore.

168. Drew - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Well, Lancelot Link led the Evolution Revolution.

169. Gonat - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… Uggla popped up in a 3-0 count. How bad is that! September 16, 2012 10:19 PM ___________________________________It was awful. He really helped Stammen as he couldn't throw a strike to that point.

170. NatsLady - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:27 AM

171. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Stammen's momentum immediately gone with Espi K.notice he couldnt bunt either.Moore swings at a ball then didnt run until way to late.The execution is bad, but starting to wonder about focus for some of the hitters. Ball hit right at pitcher and batter thinks he foyled it. Seems odd.

172. SCNatsFan - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:27 AM

545 ABs, 174 Ks in 2012. Career 1286 ABs, 369 Ks. You do the math.

173. Swift Eagle - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Gonat, I didn't mean today's line-up, and I agree the Nats have the best rotation…But I think the depth of talent is a little better…If there were a draft of the Non-Pitchers, I'd take Zimmerman and Harper in the top 5, but most of the top 10 would be Braves…Heyward, Prado, McCann, Freeman, and i think Simmons is good…I think the Nats have the better young arms, the Braves the better young bats…Going to be some great battles…

174. Nats Fan in Brazil - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Natsfanjim To u criticeze moore and espi só badly u got be An amazing ball player! Good Luck for u when u start playing in The majors

175. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:30 AM

In fact, we have lots of dumb players or low IQ's playes who have trouble learning the game. Lets list them.Dumbest NationalsBernadinaEspinosaMooreDesiHenryStrasburgFloresBurnettsmartest Nationals WerthRZimSuzukiLombo (smart at baseball, doubt he reads much)LaRocheStammenStorenAll the starters except StrasNot sureMorseDeRosaClippard

176. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:30 AM

A double in the 9 th last Tuesday last hit by Espi.

177. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:31 AM

NatsFanin Brazil: Your'e right, I do. Tell me where I'm wrong.

178. SCNatsFan - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:32 AM

NatsFanJim that's a lot of wunderlics you have administered

179. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:32 AM

NatsFanbrazil: I was an amazing ballplayer.And the older I get, the better I was!!!!hahaha

180. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:34 AM

For the series so far Nats 18 for 90. .200 second series in the last few weeks against Nl east team we hit like crap.

181. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:34 AM

SC: the wonderlic is an apptitude test. I would give one to every player.

182. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Oh Criminy — Please Lord, don't let them bring in Burnett!!!If so, the game is O-V-E-R

183. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:37 AM

184. Gonat - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Zim whiffed on that ball. Unreal.

185. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Burnett enters game fresh off yet another Rzim Error.This game is O-V-E-R — My guess: three runs will cross.

186. Gonat - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… As good Stammen was last inning he starts this one awful.McCatty needs to focus next year on eliminating leadoff walks and. how to get starters to pitch less pitchers per batter. Weakest part of pitcher's game withou a doubt. September 16, 2012 10:37 PM _________________________________That was actually a one out walk but still bad.

187. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Lead off walks drive me Nuts. Nibbling at corners and giving up walks after going 0-2, drives me even more Nuts.We do that too often.

188. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Lets consider trading Rzimm ande getting something good, get rid of his huge contract and his countless errors — get rid of his injury plagued seasons –and hope rendon can do the job.

189. SCNatsFan - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:42 AM

NatsFanJim – from what I know about the test it shows your ability ot learn; I'm not how smart you have to be to learn how to hit a ball if you have natural talent.Bourn safe, Nats can't catch a break right now

190. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Burnett didnt fool Heyward one bit. a rocket to first.

191. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:43 AM

ADD stricken La Roche goes Brain dead

192. SCNatsFan - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Rendon will be our second baseman. What you are seeing with Espinosa is all he will be.

193. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Sorry SC: I dont think you're smart enough to discuss this topic.hahaha (joking)

194. SCNatsFan - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:46 AM

What is with the Nats relievers just giving bases away

195. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:46 AM

SC I think he can get better, (espi) but 200 K's a years is absolutely Unacceptable!!!!

196. Manassas Nats' Fan - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:46 AM

My mistake. But goes to my relief pitcher rule. never walk anyone as a reliever.Of course Zim allows Bourn to third. One thing to make error but to allow some one to go 180 feet on a ball hit 80 feet no excuse. 5 errors on Zim in 2 weeks

197. Gonat - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Hit in the wallet. That's great. Orel's comeback, "Wallets are big here too, Dan"

198. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Burnett update:lets a run scorehits a battertypical

199. NatsFanJim - Sep 17, 2012 at 2:47 AM

No Christian Garcia in to pitch to Uggla.Davey, you are either nuts or Lazy or just old