Sep 18, 2012, 11:16 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Danny Espinosa hopes to return to the lineup for Wednesday’s doubleheader.
As he tried to swing at pitches during Sunday night’s game in Atlanta, unable to generate any power or bat speed with his left shoulder, Danny Espinosa started fearing the worst.
“I thought it was a labrum tear,” he said.
An MRI taken on Espinosa’s shoulder on Monday, however, not only allayed those fears but left the Nationals second baseman as upbeat as he’s been in a week. The actual diagnosis: a bone bruise in his shoulder’s capsule, treated with a cortisone shot that may allow Espinosa to return to the lineup as soon as Wednesday.
“This is the best news that we could have gotten,” he said. “If this was a rotator cuff tear or a labrum tear, it would have lingered the rest of the season. I would have had to have surgery in the offseason. This is the best. I didn’t think there was going to be a bruise in there, but this was definitely the best news we could have gotten.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals try to start new winning streak today
- The Baseball Show: LaRoche and Cabrera are August standouts
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill