Sep 18, 2012, 11:16 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Danny Espinosa hopes to return to the lineup for Wednesday’s doubleheader.
As he tried to swing at pitches during Sunday night’s game in Atlanta, unable to generate any power or bat speed with his left shoulder, Danny Espinosa started fearing the worst.
“I thought it was a labrum tear,” he said.
An MRI taken on Espinosa’s shoulder on Monday, however, not only allayed those fears but left the Nationals second baseman as upbeat as he’s been in a week. The actual diagnosis: a bone bruise in his shoulder’s capsule, treated with a cortisone shot that may allow Espinosa to return to the lineup as soon as Wednesday.
“This is the best news that we could have gotten,” he said. “If this was a rotator cuff tear or a labrum tear, it would have lingered the rest of the season. I would have had to have surgery in the offseason. This is the best. I didn’t think there was going to be a bruise in there, but this was definitely the best news we could have gotten.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent